Old 12th September 2013, 22:10   #1
Marscaleb

Title text is blurry

New computer, so I've re-installed Winamp. Don't recall what my old version was.

So I like to use the classic skin, and I've got most of everything set up the way I like, including setting the main window to double-size. But I notice that in the main window, where the track title is displayed, the text is using some sort of anti-aliasing to smooth out the hard edges. But with the double-sized window, those "smoothed" pixels just turn into a fuzzy, grainy mess. This was not how Winamp ran on my old computer.

I can't find an option for it. Is there a way to force that title to use a pixilated font, or to at least apply that smoothing effect AFTER the double-sizing so it looks smooth and proper?

Marscaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2013, 22:14   #2
DrO

maybe try preferences -> skins -> classic skins -> 'classic skin options' tab and check 'Use skinned font for main window title display'
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2013, 00:02   #3
Marscaleb

Well, that does give me a sharp display, but it also uses a font that doesn't support lower-case letters. I'm not really sure if I find that option any better.
Old 13th September 2013, 00:09   #4
DrO

that seemed to match with what had been described in your first post (and was the default for a long time - so not knowing what and when your prior Winamp was installed, that was a best guess).

the other option is to undo the option i'd suggested, go to preferences -> playlist and un-check 'Use skin or language pack font' and then find a font you like which works in other parts of Winamp as well as in the songticker.

otherwise without some sort of attempt made to change things, there's no other options (other than picking a modern skin and finding one that suits your needs / sizing).
Old 13th September 2013, 01:14   #5
DrO

i've had a look and the following screenshot shows what is currently used versus a possible change in how the generated font is created.

as can be seen, the alternate mode is like that option i first suggested but still allows for the font (and capitalisation variation) to be used and basically drops the smoothing which is applied to it all.

so if that's ok, i can look to add an option on the classic skin preferences to allow it to be changed to the alternate mode just for the main window font when in double-size mode (which will require an opt-in).

i've included the windowshade mode for the playlist editor as a reference for how the change in the mode would affects things at normal size in other parts of the player (and is comparable to the main window).
Old 13th September 2013, 04:31   #6
Marscaleb

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
YES, that "alternative" is exactly how it looks on my old computer.

On my old computer I'm running Winamp v5.622 (x86) - Oct 26 2011 on Windows XP Professional version 2002 SP3.

On my new computer I'm running Winamp v5.65 (x86) - Jul 23 2013 on Windows 7 Professional SP1 (64bit.)

On my old computer I have "Use skin or language pack font" unchecked with Arial selected. It is the same on my new computer, but I still get the blurry text.
The blurry text wouldn't be bad at all if it was still rendered one pixel to one pixel after the double-sized mode was engaged. I don't know the inner workings of the system, but if you rendered the text after the rest of the window and doubled the size of the font
Old 13th September 2013, 09:14   #7
DrO

that makes more sense that you're comparing XP to Windows 7.

the blurry text is due to changes in how Windows 7 handles font drawing compared to XP. we basically do as you've suggested and are then relying on Windows to do what's needed but obviously there's cases where its not appropriate hence the need to set a different flag when the songticker font is generated to better guide things.

either way to there'll be a new option on the classic skin options page to allow the alternate mode to be enabled only when double size is enabled.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support