Old 22nd August 2013, 21:39   #1
sloweddi

Howdy,
It is probably a simple fix but I am scratching my head on this one. If I am playing a folder of a certain artist and then decide I would like to hear a different artist, the "play folder" selection just dumps me to the root directory of the hard drive and not the previous folder I played.

Any thoughts??

I am running Win 7 64 Ultimate, quad core AMD, 16 GB memory
sloweddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2013, 21:44   #2
DrO

Winamp version? specifically which part of the player are you accessing this from (might be easier with a marked screenshot)
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2013, 21:51   #3
Aminifu
Forum King

Since the OP is using Windows 7, then this is a consequence of the new dialog Windows provides (as was explained in another thread). The folder previously used is still selected, but it is not scrolled into view automatically.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2013, 21:58   #4
DrO

how it's been described, it doesn't sound like that UI issue and is like more how things worked prior to v5.64 with a number of the folder browse dialogs which didn't correctly keep track of the last folder used (which i believe ujay re-raised in time for it to be resolved for the v5.64 release).

but we're just speculating as none of the required information when posting has been provided - though we can procrastinate like some other people like to do if you like
Old 22nd August 2013, 22:12   #5
sloweddi

I am trying to put the attachment but the fracking thing... Oh... nevermind.
The file should be attached
Old 22nd August 2013, 22:14   #6
DrO

there's no attachment on the post - ensure you don't preview the post after you've seemingly uploaded it (is an annoying quirk of the forum software).
Old 22nd August 2013, 23:49   #7
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi sloweddi,

It took me a while to puzzle out the advanced reply editor's attachment dialog. The full window may not be being displayed. Look for a scroll bar across the bottom that lets you scroll left to right (there may also be a scroll bar to go up and down). On the left side you can select the file you want to attach. On the right side is the control to upload it to the forum.

Anyway, have you used the scroll bar in Winamp's open folder dialog to see if the previously used folder is highlighted? Or are you seeing the root folder highlighted?

The old dialog would open with the focus on the previously used folder (when it worked), the new one does not. The focus is on the buttons at the bottom of the dialog.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Old 23rd August 2013, 00:00   #8
sloweddi

Thanks. That was the problem.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Winamp_Info_Report_22.08.2013.txt (22.9 KB, 106 views)
Old 23rd August 2013, 00:03   #9
Aminifu
Forum King

Ok, good you have attachment figured out. What about my questions?

Old 23rd August 2013, 00:59   #10
sloweddi

Yes the previously used folder is highlighted, however I must scroll down to it as it goes back up to the root folder of the HD when it opens. The Root folder is still expanded and the folder with the music is still expanded but it is a pain to have to do a long scroll.
Old 23rd August 2013, 01:49   #11
Aminifu
Forum King

Well all I can say, is try to get used to it.

This behavior is not going to change anytime soon. Changing from a modern to a classic skin may help (many choices on the main site and elsewhere).

The issue was discussed a few weeks ago in the thread linked below. Posts #37 through 41 and 51 and 52 (bottom part of page 1 & top part of 2). That Winamp user succeeded in possibly lengthening the time those concerned with this issue will have to live with it.

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=369695

Off Topic Warning:
Did you ever find out what was causing the excessive CPU usage you posted about last year? If you did, it would be big of you to go back and add the resolution to that thread. Logged in or not, click on your forum name and then look on the "Statistics" tab of your profile page for a quick way back to every forum post you've ever made.

Old 23rd August 2013, 02:05   #12
sloweddi

No I never did. The only hint I get is one of my core starts building up to 100% over about 15 sec then it is showing all red for that core (I use the Network meter gadget). The only way to stop it is to stop the song playing. Another core may decide to do the same thing but stopping the song usually fixes it.

To fix my other problem here, I might go back to a previous version or try a reinstall

Thanks everyone for the help
Old 23rd August 2013, 02:45   #13
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloweddi View Post
To fix my other problem here, I might go back to a previous version or try a reinstall
The reinstall of any Winamp version since 5.64 will not change anything for this issue. Versions before 5.64 will just bring back the bugs and lack of improvements those versions have. Scrolling can be very quick if you click & drag the slider.

But, you are free to do whatever. Good luck.

Old 23rd August 2013, 17:26   #14
sloweddi

Just to add to the strangeness, I had to use my laptop today IBM Thinkpad T43-P running Win 7 and the current Winamp.

It works just fine. So I will try a reinstall and see if this fixes the current problem.
Old 24th August 2013, 20:43   #15
sloweddi

I tried doing a complete reinstall and even tried a few different versions on Winamp and no joy.
I am back to the current version (5.65 x86). and with 4 internal HD, 2 drives split, and 3 external drives it is an extremely long scroll to get to the music and it has made the program unusable for me on the desktop. It use to work great with no problems. The laptop with the exact same program works great.

I hate to say it but unless I can figure this out I will be switching audio programs
Old 24th August 2013, 20:48   #16
DrO

tbh there's too much for me to re-read from this thread (not helped by the inline info report which i'll have to edit out later).

is this purely that the last folder is not shown as selected and in view in the window or something else? it'd be easier for to have an annotated screenshot (to also help determine which specific part of Winamp you're doing this from).

as i might as well just waste another hour and revert the change across the multiple plug-ins which had to be altered to f**k this up and i'll then just annoy the users who wanted the newer style dialogs (since it allows them to change the size of them).

as technically, the issue so far is coming down to use relying on the OS to do things and for whatever reason it's not working as expected and i'm just tired of this s**t of having to fix something as people complain they'll leave and then have to revert or re-fix it as others complain that what was done as was f**king wrong and i should burn, etc (as some are so kind to do) - am pretty much sick of it and i might just stop paying attention to user requests and do like everyone else does and let the player rot (since everyone hates 5.x and loves the old 2.x days when Winamp was so good...).
Old 24th August 2013, 21:27   #17
sloweddi

I will try for a screen image, but look at it this way.
You have a drive called "Drive 7". The 26th sub folder is called "Music". The folder you want to play is called "Zoot Alure" in the folder "zappa".

There are 134 music folders "Zappa" is the last one. There are at least a hundred folders in the "Zappa" folder and "Zoot Alure" is the last folder.

When I finish listening to this folder I open "Play Folder" in the menu and goes to "Drive 7".

I then must scroll down to "Zoot Alure" which is highlighted.

It use to open at the highlighted folder
Old 25th August 2013, 13:47   #18
DrO

when the browse dialog opens, for the time being try using the up arrow followed by the down arrow - that at least got it to bring the folder selection into view.

i think i've got a solution for the issue though need to do some additional testing to see if it's reliable (which it seems to be) and then i need to apply it to every instance in the code base *joy*
Old 25th August 2013, 14:18   #19
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi sloweddi,

Did you read the posts in the other thread, I provided the link to, that explained the change?

Seriously, what is the big deal? With so many folders, you will need to do some scrolling anyway. Is it really such a huge handicap not automatically seeing the last folder that was used, as a starting point? One quick click & drag and you are there.

It appears you need to learn how to use scroll bars and develop more efficient scrolling methods. That last statement is not meant as a put down. Navigating windows is basic to efficient use of the operating system and all Windows programs.

The ability to make a window wider and/or longer is a useful improvement. It is much more aggravating scrolling within the cramped space of fixed size dialogs (when you may need to move left and right and up and down and the contents of the window may be truncated to fit in the limited space).

So sad, you're willing to give up Winamp over this. Good luck with your new app.

Old 25th August 2013, 14:39   #20
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
i think i've got a solution for the issue though need to do some additional testing to see if it's reliable (which it seems to be) and then i need to apply it to every instance in the code base *joy*
It's very big of you to take time with this. It is much more helpful being able to resize the dialog, than have it point to the last used folder as the starting point for scrolling to and selecting something else.

At some point Winamp users need to accept that improvement often comes with change. A very minor change in this case, for anyone who knows how to scroll, imo.

Thank you for trying to keep everyone happy.

Old 25th August 2013, 15:11   #21
sloweddi

Aminifu

I now how to use scroll bars. I retired from IT after 35 yrs. But when a product works a certain way, that is to open the play folder window in the exact position you left it so you do not have to scroll and then suddenly the need to do extensive scrolling appears... this is not an improvement.

It works perfectly fine on the laptop without the update.
Old 25th August 2013, 15:34   #22
DrO

it's an issue specific to Windows 7 64-bit (from everything i read during the 3hrs i wasted today on this), that is why it's not the same between the different machines (as it's never stated what variant of Windows 7 is on the laptop and have to assume it's likely the 32-bit or you just don't have the same level of depth of the folders) and as i posted, i've got a solution to work around the OS issue (as it is an OS issue with the API used and once again not our [Winamp's] fault). dunno why i bother posting updates if they just get ignored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
Thank you for trying to keep everyone happy.
working around OS issues is not making me happy (as it probably shows).
Old 25th August 2013, 16:09   #23
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi sloweddi,

I don't mean to insult you. Truly sorry. I made an assumption based on the confusion with the attachment dialog (I overlooked the horizontal scroll bar too, at first).

I was mainly talking about the trade-off involved here. It is acceptable to me. Not for you and at least one other. That's fine and I can respect the difference of option. It can be jarring when things change, but for me this one was not a big deal.

Old 25th August 2013, 16:27   #24
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
working around OS issues is not making me happy (as it probably shows).
Yes it does.

Winamp gets blamed or you personally. You explain and get yelled at again. Sometimes you yell back. But several times, in spite of the pain/aggravation, you try to satisfy people anyway. Often with no expressed appreciation when you're successful. That's why I applaud you.

And I think sloweddi implied he is using an older version on the laptop.

Old 25th August 2013, 16:45   #25
sloweddi

Hello from Donna the Care Giver,

After many years coding designing, and building equipment for some of the largest tech companies, Ed had to retire due to a stroke.
He does not mean to be insulting and sometime a small thing will just get under his skin. He will than forget he commented about it and comment again... and again. We try to head these things off but sometimes he will be up late online and sometimes he will start commenting before his coffee in the morning and then everyone suffers.

Such is the case with the "scroll problem" he encountered with Winamp. It is kind of important that everything work exactly the same every time you use it as change can bring confusion sometimes.

We just thought we would explain what was going on... while he is busy kicking butt and taking names in COD:MW3. Go figure, he is good at video games.

Thanks
Donna
Old 25th August 2013, 17:22   #26
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloweddi View Post
Hello from Donna the Care Giver,
Ok, point made.

Thanx I get for helping clarify your issue.

Old 26th August 2013, 20:36   #27
sloweddi

Sorry folks,
Mia copa... the brain is back functioning... what was I thinking. I will also look at the API and see what I can find

Thank you everyone for your patients
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support