Old 15th January 2004, 22:14   #1
Smeggle
Just Strolling By
(Major Dude)

If I was to say.....(For Car Owners)

If I was to say that I could have stopped at least a minimum 75% of all vehicle thefts by joyriders and car thieves what would your reaction be?

I have a design for a mechanical impletation that makes it virtually impossible for the ignition to be tampered with. If they can't tamper with it then they can't get it going. If they can't get it going, they can' steal it obviously.

the cost of this article to a consumer would be approximately 20euro(plus fitting).

It has no sophisticated electronincs or such like and is simple to self-install.
I offered this to an Innovation center with the aim for it to go straight to manufacture level. It was refused.

Notice I say 75% 'MINIMUM' not 'MAXIMUM'

Comments please

Music is Life, Love and Happiness :|: Life is Music. Serren - 1985 - 2005
Religion? Religion is a Blasphemy against humanity - From the film What the Bleep do we know

siggy link So stumbling? whats it all about
Smeggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2004, 22:19   #2
Spazz333
Major Dude

Well, if I knew more I could make better comments. For now all I can say is cool if it's possible. For all I know you wired a stungun to go off whenever the ignition is touched by anything but a key.

Spazz333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2004, 22:20   #3
Bilbo Baggins
Wind Chime of the Apocalypse

So have you, or are you just theorising?
Bilbo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2004, 22:38   #4
Smeggle
Just Strolling By
(Major Dude)

nope I have a simple easy to cast design which makes it virtually impossible to steal the car by slide=hammer or by 'snapping the iggy' or using a piece of pipe slotted over the barrel stub and snapping it of.

8Ok Shameful confession* I did at one time when I was ateenager steal cars. With a scre driver and a 14" piece of scafold pipe, I could take a car in like less than 60secs no prob.
Once I stopped I thought 'How would I stop myself from being able to take a car using these two methods', which are the standard method by which most cars are taken.

It was so simple as to a joke and I obviously tried to 'Sell' my idea. don't reckon most would have a prob. with that, selling the idea that is.

I was refused out right by the place I went to for help and let it drop and overthe years just forgot of it.

recently though, especially in Ireland there has been some horrific deaths due to this stuff which reminded me of it.

Now I would just like to give it away not really bothered about the cash would just like to see if I can at least curb some of this madness.

So I thought this would be the best way to get the info out ...
Any body wants the design can have it and use it as they will. Hope fully car manufactures would get hold of it and finally fit it.
I gurantee at least a 75% reduction in anuual car theft world wide with this piece of equipment. I'll give the idea free to any car manufacture whi wishes to use it.

see the thing about taking a car is speed. Your not gonna stop the persistent thief who has the time etc to steal the car but as 85% of car theft is opportunistic then you will deter them.
If the time to get the car started is increased by there inability to gain acess to the ignition or there ability to damage the inition so they can use it, then the chance of getting caught is much higher. In this case I have taken the ability to take a vehicle well past the 60 sec mark. with this piece fitted it would take at least 15-20 mins to access the ignition. No opportunistic vehicle thief is gonna try it.

Thats it and as I say free to anyone who wants it preferably vehicle manufactures (Means more vehicles get it fitted)

~

Religion? Religion is a Blasphemy against humanity - From the film What the Bleep do we know

Old 15th January 2004, 22:44   #5
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

Send a message via ICQ to dlinkwit27 Send a message via AIM to dlinkwit27 Send a message via Yahoo to dlinkwit27
all I know is that you should make sure to patent yoru idea before showing anybody it. Elsewise they will reject your idea, and steal it and make it themselves.

A question I have though is how much will it cost to retofit on older cars, and how much extra to add to new cars?
dlinkwit27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2004, 23:28   #6
henry3k56
Forum King

New Fords & Chevys have a microchip implanted in the key itself and some sensor on the ignition recognizes it and allows it to start. Disabling it then, the car won't operate.

henry3k56 | Summer is here.
My Flickr Page & Frontierra | Posting Since September 2001.
henry3k56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2004, 23:33   #7
Smeggle
Just Strolling By
(Major Dude)

I answered that Dlink..screwy winamp data base

retrofit? don't think they would more like sellit as a DIY add on now. and I reckon that should not cost more than 20euro per unit. Obvious variations because of differing models hence the reason it would have to be a manufacturing level Item.

As for patent I'm not bothered really and as I'm offereing it freely then no one person can make private profit on it.

All I want is to stop some of the shit and if I can do that I can maybe save a few lives..

Old 15th January 2004, 23:53   #8
ScorLibran
Resident Floydian

@Smeggle: If you used to steal cars, and now you seriously want to help prevent car theft, then kudos to you! That's a very honorable attitude to have, whether or not the idea would even work. It's your intentions that count most.

(This is a subject I feel really strongly about, too, since I've spent hundreds of hours restoring and modding my car. If it were stolen, insurance may reimburse me for most of the monetary value, but I could never recover the work I put into it and the sentimental value.)

I'm a psychosomatic sister running around without a leash.
ScorLibran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2004, 00:04   #9
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

Send a message via ICQ to dlinkwit27 Send a message via AIM to dlinkwit27 Send a message via Yahoo to dlinkwit27
whoops, 20 euro, i didn'y see that

that's somewhat expensive if you think about it. an extra 20 per unit, lets say they make a mere 500,000 units. that's 1,000,000 right there. Here in the US the auto companies turned down a devise that would allow for trunks to able to be opened from teh inside (for kidnapping, etc) and it only cost I think 2$ (us) per unit, maybe less.
dlinkwit27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2004, 00:07   #10
Smeggle
Just Strolling By
(Major Dude)

@ScorLibran
well I was an idiot at the time I admit but *shrugs* I grew up kinda quick. Reason I stopped?
couple of mates took a car and I had another we were over North Yorkshire way when we got a Blue light. I got away my mates didn't ..they ended up in the side of truck that the police had put out as a road block about 60yrds away from a 'Hump-Backed' bridge. There forward view would have been severely restricted and no way they could have seen it in time. The coroner recorded a verdict of accidental death on it but yorkshire plice were well known for this kind of thing.

That was it really for me after that, I grew up rather fast as they say. Lost a couple of good mates which was sad but they knew the risk as we all did.

I have had this item floating in my head now for some 20 years and thought I'd share it if I could. tried before and failed so thought I'd try this instead, *shrugs* might work dunno know but worth a try someone with the power to do something about it might see it.

It may not be much good for new cars that need that electronic thingy but for stuff like scorlibran has it would be a must. Say vehilcles pre 2000? even new one's every little helps...

~

Old 17th January 2004, 22:03   #11
godoncrack
Forum King

Smeggle, PATENT THAT DAMN THING
some bitch could steal the idea produce it then SUE YOU for using it
cover your ass
and if no one in the UK wants it
the US gov is ALWAYS giving out money for new inventions and start up companies
$100000 easy, no repayment nessesary, FREE
just start it up and sell, sell, sell
surely the UK gov has somethin like that
godoncrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2004, 03:10   #12
Bazman63
Major Dude

Isn't smeggle based in Ireland now? But yeah, there are some UK governmaent schemes. Nothing like the US though, coz that would make sense and people might actually become useful business folk and contribute to society. And we can't have that in the UK. It's just not cricket.

'In this country, it takes all the running you can do to stay in one place.'"
Bazman63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2004, 04:07   #13
J. Burnaway
Forum King

Send a message via Yahoo to J. Burnaway
Quote:
Originally posted by dlinkwit27
Here in the US the auto companies turned down a devise that would allow for trunks to able to be opened from teh inside (for kidnapping, etc) and it only cost I think 2$ (us) per unit, maybe less.
But how many people actually get kidnapped and locked in trunks? Very small compared to the number of cars stolen each year.

I live maybe 45 minutes from the Mexican border, and we have lots of car thefts here. The SUV's often end up being driven by the Mexican police.

In other words, I'd look into the patent if I were you Smeggle. Does it interfere with a person starting their own car?
J. Burnaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2004, 08:04   #14
J_Bloggs
Major Dude

If you have the idea, scematics etc physically written down/printed out it should be covered by copyright. and a patient would be a good idea too.

And, depending on just what it is/how it works, I'd likely buy one. Especially knowing it's invented by a past car thief, you'd know just how to stop theft.

¯¯¯¯Joe Bloggs____
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
J_Bloggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2004, 09:33   #15
Smeggle
Just Strolling By
(Major Dude)

ok anyone ever heard of 'Open Patent'. I can prove full provenance on this dating back well over 20 years and part of that provenance is from a British Govt. backed scheme that ran in the early 80's.(They were the place that refused my idea)
So if I some one did try to steal the idea, by patenting or otherwise, because i can prove my provenace I would win in court, so let them sue me. (I have checked this btw)

My thing on this is I don't really want any monetry gain. If any thing, if I was to fet any money, I would invest that in soem of my other projects/inventions for developement (yes I'm one of those mad english excentroc inventors LOL ).

Like say the self-powering 12volt generator I have that works on water. When it is switche don that is it...it will give 12volts @8amps continually untill you close a valve or a part brakes. Simply replace the part and continue.
The unit stands approx. 30"(H)x24"(W)x18"(D) in other words I have an answer to virtual 'Perpetual Energy'.

I have other designs as well including mad ones like an anti-gravity principle. The answer to this is so simple to be silly []

Anyway B.O.T. This Item would be for any vehicle that does not carry the security feature as mentioned above. A chip in the key (Think Mercedes did this first) that needs a corresponding chip in the dash for the car to work. So we're talking pre-2000 say [?]
It is a completely mechanical device, elimates snapping of the ignition barrel (The way most young joy-riders take a car) slide-hammer as it is designed to give addded protection to the re-moval of the Ignition core/barrel. It also protects the electrical switch that is fitted to teh rear of the Ignition. generally this is held in place by two very tiny screw's ..there a F***ing joke. I mean if a car was jerking us about and the steering lock wouldn' come of we would just snap teh thing by brute force (Just rive the steering wheel about till it broke and they do I assure you) Take the switch of and start the car.

So patent doesn't apply as it can be fitted, with casting variations obviouly, to any make of vehicle.
I gave a figure of 20euro as a basic estimate of a shop-DIY product as I think this is where it would sell most. But garages could stock it and fit.

I think peeps would buy it and I'd like to see the profits go to some benefit like Road Safety or more Research into it.

Sorry about the long post ..I just got carried away ..opps

~

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions