Old 2nd April 2014, 22:06   #1
ElectricFox

Ubable to find name of skin with Winamp 5.666

Hello !
For years, all I had to do was make a left click on main window, and in the new window click on Alt + S & that was it.
Now, since 5.666, the skin freezes if I make that left click on the main window then a left click on Alt +S. If I insist, Winamp crashes.
Untill yesterday, using the keyboard shortcut Alt + S without using the mouse worked, but today no way, it makes Winamp crash.
Either way, with the mouse or with the keyboard,Winamp either freezes then restarts or plainly crashes when trying to find name of the skin used (so easy before!!)

I wrote to the skinners forum, they just deleted my thread ! It seems that skins don't interest many people now !
E.
ElectricFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2014, 07:46   #2
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi,

Are you using build 3516 of version 5.666 and the 1.03 version of the skin manager plug-in (link below)? Maybe 1 (or more) of the skins you are using is incompatible.

http://winampplugins.co.uk/sm.html

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2014, 07:59   #3
DrO

an info report is absolutely required (as has been asked for and repeatedly not provided) as you're wasting peoples time as no one knows what is in your Winamp install and so cannot provide exact solutions just guesses at things e.g. running in safe mode or like aminifu suggests.

and if it was a duplicate thread or deemed to not be related to the aim of that part of the forum then it could have been removed as the skin subforums are generally about skin curation and not general Winamp crashes. only the moderator who did it would know why it was removed.

and skins have been pretty dead for a decade or so now.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2014, 04:51   #4
ElectricFox

Skins dead??

Hello Dr. O !

Joe Garrett of 1001 skins wouldn't agree with you that skins have been dead for the last 10 years, neither would Deviantart (deviantART.com) which has a very large section on both Classic & Modern skins !
By the way, I use the latest version of Winamp 5.666, build 3516, just downloaded a few days ago !!
I haven't downloaded the plugin mentioned by Aminifu (thanks Aminifu!), am going to do it right now .

Sorry to be wasting your precious time, Guys !
Old 5th April 2014, 08:50   #5
ElectricFox

Hello Aminifu !

Thanks for the plug in, it seems to help, I have to do some more testing . I forgot to mention that I had the same problem with Winamp 5.65 last month, so I assume the version of Winamp has nothing to do with this. Anyway, we'll see !
By the way, I like the colorful look of this Winamp 5.666 !
Regards,
St.

[U][/

Windows 7 Home premium 64 bit SP1
IE11 or FireFox (most recent edition)
Winamp Pro 5.666 . 3516
5.1 Cinematic Surround
Classic Skins (all fully skinned): Prototype, Remnant, Obsession
Modern Skins : cPro2 Dark Aluminum (Firefox 01 Color Theme)
cPro Erbium (Default Color Theme)
Resurgence
Invicta
Visualization: Dr. Glitter (dr. glitter.com). Quite unknown, but based on fractals & in my opinion just as good as or better than Milkdrop, but in a different style. (They tell you you have only the basic version, please upgrade, but there's no upgrade, I assume they never made it!). What is nice is that it can be embedded in small Classic Skins, Soundspectrum viz's are great too but can't be embedded in a skin, like many other Winamp viz's.
Old 5th April 2014, 10:26   #6
DrO

when i say dead, i mean the creation of new ones (which there are still the odd new ones), but it has been nowhere near like the constant stream that there was in the early 2000's (a lot of which was driven by the market of people being paid to make them!).

as for joe's site, i just see it mainly as an archive of old (and somewhat incomplete skins) with hopefully some new ones submitted to it (genuinely mean it) and i don't know if he intends to import the cleaned up versions that were on winamp.com or quite what (since as you've already seen, a number on there don't skin all of the windows which the winamp.com ones were cleaned up to ensure only those with full skinning were provided, unlike what most of the other skinning sites have allowed i.e. just the main window i often saw which was a horrible experience).

but realistically, most users don't bother or care for skins and plug-ins (based on the anonymous stats) and it's been like that for a long time. yes there is a small demand for such things, but most people want it all in the box and don't want to have to mess around with things and if it doesn't work / fit their needs, it's uninstalled and onto the next product. that is why people's fixation on such things on here (which is a reality bubble of it's own) is not a fair representation of the reality of other Winamp users (and then there's not forgetting those still using decade old versions).

------------------------------------------------------------

as for the crash issue, an info report would have made it simple to determine from the start if you've got old plug-ins (as most of what was in the essentials pack required 5.66x updates) and that's probably what was causing your crash issue with the skin manager plug-in (assuming it was already installed), which an info report would have made very obvious from the start.

we're not asking people to make them just for the sake of it (and it is noted in the sticky threads that one is meant to be provided when posting issues, especially crashes) as it's there to help those trying to provide support, the information that is never provided. that is why i said about wasting people's time as psychic debugging (as is otherwise required) is no use to anyone.

and i don't remember seeing prior confirmation that you had updated to the correct v5.666 release (build 3516) or that you'd applied the plug-in patches, which was the other reason for wanting to see an info report (and still would, though i doubt one will be provided).
Old 18th August 2014, 00:10   #7
ElectricFox

Hello Dr. O. & Aminifu !!

I'm a little late, but I had quite forgotten that I had written you, sorry !!

Yes, I'm using version 5.666.3516
Yes, I've downloaded the plugin "Skin Manager V 1.03", it works beautifully & looks like on the image in Aminifu's link !

The problem with finding a skin name has solved itself, it's back to normal now.

I just discovered your long & most interesting response dated April 5, 2014 ! Thanks for spending so much time on my superficial problems !

I agree with you that Joe's site is just a back-room with all the skins I remember seeing 10 years ago, many of them from the days of Winamp 2.1, with only 3 windows skinned, just like in all the other sites (www.winampskins.info, allwinampskins, etc...) the problem is that I collect only skins with the AVS skinned ((although I like some Winamp vizs, but not AVS, however many vizs such as Milkdrop or Flashes 2 (simple but nice in the dark if the music is
lively as it responds to the music) are quite pretty)), and they don't tell you if the skin is fully skinned, so if it isn't, I have to delete it after downloading it... so annoying !

Only on DeviantART can you find recent skins from 2013 or 2012, but you have to be logged in & in the search box, type "Classic Winamp Skins". You get over 1200 suggestions !(including 0 ye
However, if you type "Winamp Classic skins", you get barely a hundred suggestions !!!!!
WWaaoouuww !!
Old 18th August 2014, 00:27   #8
ElectricFox

Following. My message was sent inadvertantly !

I also wanted to say that what hasn't been fixed by itself, is the fact that Winamp crashes if I place 2 different Modern Skins one after the other ! If I place One Modern, One Classic and One Modern, fine !! One Modern followed by another Modern, Winamp crashes !! WILD !

You haven't received an "info report" because I DON'T KNOW what that is and how to make it !!!
I'm no geek, sorry !

Well, that's all for now... I'll make a point of reading your response promptly !
And did I tell you that I have 2 laptops, and have the same mysterious problems on both??

I use my Winamp skins as eye candies, I mainly listen to internet radio stations in streaming, I don't make music lists, so I don't care if the skin isn' functional, but this thing with the Modern skins is pretty annoying !

Take care.

Stephen.
Old 18th August 2014, 06:34   #9
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricFox View Post
You haven't received an "info report" because I DON'T KNOW what that is and how to make it !!!
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=328932

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2014, 17:05   #10
DrO

<response redacted, just isn't worth the hassle>
Old 24th August 2014, 01:51   #11
ElectricFox

Problems with modern skins

One thing is sure: Dr. O. should go work in a dark laboratory where he has no contact with the public because his social skills are very low & his aggressivity makes him unable to deal with people !
Old 24th August 2014, 18:43   #12
DrO

and still no info tool report and you wonder why I'm crabby with you.

we have provided (myself and other users) multiple times the link which instructs you on _what_ we need from you. saying you've not being told what to do is an absolute lie as that link is clear on what to do and it is not hard at all to attach something to a forum post (as you're also claiming as a problem).

if you want help then we will but we need information from you and if you think i'm being an arse then so be it but from you're side of the fence, you're not making it easy for anyone to try to assist you (especially when you ignore requests for information, following specific instructions and the general lack of timely replies on an issue which causes things to pretty much have to start over again which is wasting yours and everyone elses time).

so fine, i'll go back to my dark hole, ignore trying to fix issues in Winamp and i'll just make the player for myself and screw what you want out of it - that sound fair as that's exactly what your comment is asking for.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support

Tags
alt+s, skins