Old 27th August 2003, 12:57   #1
whiteflip
Post Master General
(Forum King)

NextGen Consoles to early?

They (everyone that matters) say that current consoles will be replaced by next gen systems by 2005.
I dunno about everyone else but I think that would be a little early. Xbox still has a lot of life in it and so does the Cube. I can see the PS2 doing it.

Doesn't it seem that consoles generation cycles are getting smaller and smaller each new generation?

I'm Back?
whiteflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2003, 13:43   #2
HarsH

Send a message via AIM to HarsH
might be, but it depends how much the public already likes the consoles thats going to be replaced. a lot of my friends are more than ready to see the end of the ps2. i think your right in saying that the xbox has life in it, but i dont know about the cube.

and then, the new console could be really unsuccessful (just look at the dreamcast). every one might have to resort to playing pc games! aaaaaaaaaaaaargh!!!!
HarsH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2003, 14:09   #3
Mr_007
Banned

Phantom console game!
Mr_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2003, 17:20   #4
devils night

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by HarsH
a lot of my friends are more than ready to see the end of the ps2
i can see that because the playstation 2 is the oldest console out of all of them but it is still young like the other consoles. what hapened to the 5 year time like the playstation was. and i still don't know if the x-box is going to make it in this market eiter with the ps2 still having the better games.

Proud Winamp user since 1997
(Winamp 1.006)
devils night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2003, 19:36   #5
Starbucks
Forum King

I agree, but I don't think it would matter for the XBox, because it looks like they're going to make Xbox games compatible with XBox 2.
Starbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2003, 01:01   #6
whiteflip
Post Master General
(Forum King)

I liked the DreamCast I just hope they don't go overboard and make all the nextgen consoles into 3DO's

I'm Back?
Old 28th August 2003, 03:30   #7
EfaustuS9
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to EfaustuS9 Send a message via AIM to EfaustuS9 Send a message via Yahoo to EfaustuS9
Quote:
Originally posted by devils night
..what hapened to the 5 year time like the playstation was
2005 is five years from the release of PS2, which was released in the xmas season of 2000 (USA).
EfaustuS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2003, 04:36   #8
caitcid

They are sorta doing that..I don't want to waste my money on a game system that is going to get replace by a newer system 3-4 years later. >_<
caitcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2003, 11:06   #9
whiteflip
Post Master General
(Forum King)

Its not just consumers that are wasting their money. Sony and Microshizzel are wasting money too cuz they lose money on per system sold so making a new system = more losses and if your microsoft you havent yet made xbox profitable.

I'm Back?
Old 28th August 2003, 21:13   #10
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

On a slightly related note, just read this article that basically says the next next gen set of consoles are likely to force smaller devs out of business due to the massive ammounts of money/manpower that is going to be needed to produce products for them...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3185663.stm
Mr Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2003, 00:25   #11
Psythik
Got his CT back
and didn't pay $10
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr_007
Phantom console game!
I agree w/007. I might actually buy a console from a different company other than Nintendo! The fact that you download games (for a small monthly fee) rather than buying them sounds just way too cool.

This is a sig of some nature.
Psythik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2003, 02:29   #12
laz
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to laz
Quote:
"Games that take four or five years time now could take 10 years to develop," warned Ian Shaw, chief technology officer with games giant Electronic Arts.
So, does that mean, that NO games will be made for the next generation of consoles? NO. That is BS in my mind. If it takes 5 years to make a game, the dev team is eather very ineffecient or are trying to make something truly, truly groundbreaking. But I could not Imagen "groundbreaking" from EA...

I do not understand as to how it would cost soo much more to make games, that small devs would be forced out of buisness. That wouldnt be good for the console maker at all. So that would not happen.
It would just stress the graphics designers to make really high res models, something they alrady should have done, so nothing new there. And if the console is actually easy to program for (PS2 != easy) there should not be some huge development time for the game, seeing they are not doing all that much more. They just have a more robust cataloge of code to use, and more possibilitys. But not atcualty harder to code for.

But for the next gen as being too early. In a way, yes. But Sony is going to release the "PS3" or whatnot in '05, and Nintendo will eather release theirs earlyer or very shortly afterwards (they have said earlyer). And MS, having all the $$$ they do, will go and release their "console" as well, to stay competitive and all.
So, ya, its early for the cube and $box, but they will do it anyways.
laz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2003, 08:57   #13
whiteflip
Post Master General
(Forum King)

Gamecube made it extreemly easy to develop games for it.
PS2 from what developers have said is very difficult to develop games on
XBox is easy too because developers are use to the environment already

Look whos in the lead. Strange.

From what I know nintendo is out of the console business for this up comming generation. They aren't out of the mobile gaming market though by any means.

I'm Back?
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > Games Center