Old 7th March 2004, 00:06   #1
Bilbo Baggins
Wind Chime of the Apocalypse

Forum Gathering

There was a thread made recently about the possibility of a forum gathering, where all the members agree to meet in one place for a night or couple of nights of fun, frolicking and who knows what?

If you are interested in such a venture, then discuss it here. Stickied while it lasts.
Bilbo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2004, 00:11   #2
Mrs_Mia_Wallace
has a crush on Bilbo
(Forum Queen)

Location: Switzerland Posts: The starting points at a racetrack.
I'm interested to meet Bilbo!...ummm I mean all the forumers of course

So, the last time we talked about something around the end of July/Beginning of August (I think around the July 25 was the best date for most although the weekend after that would be better for me in fact) , most likely on the weekend and somewhere in the UK, if anyone else has an idea for a nice location etc, please share, there are people like ertmann and me coming and we need to know a lot in advance about where and when so we can book cheap hotels (fancy to share a room so it will be cheaper, anyone? )and a flight.

I'm really looking forward to it if it will work out!

Mia
Mrs_Mia_Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2004, 00:16   #3
Nimelennar
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Nimelennar
IIRC, there was also one being discussed in North America.
(I suggest Toronto... )

The world is made of conflicts: good and evil, order and chaos, light and dark, hot and cold. All are essential to life. None can prevail for any length of time, or life will fail. In the end, the best any can hope for is balance.
Nimelennar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2004, 01:08   #4
Merlin
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
(Forum King)

As far as most of you are concerned, 3000 miles away is close enough...

as he faced the sun, he cast no shadow
Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2004, 01:38   #5
Joel
Debian user
(Forum King)

I'll bring the tacos and Tequila

* PC: Intel Core 2 DUO E6550 @ 2.33 GHz with 2 GB RAM: Archlinux-i686 with MATE.
* Laptop: Intel Core 2 DUO T6600 @ 2.20 GHz with 4 GB RAM: Archlinux-x86-64 with MATE.
Joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2004, 01:39   #6
ertmann|CPH
Forum Viking
(Forum King)

mia. njet, weekend after that is my birthday, and allthough i like you guys, i don't like you that much
ertmann|CPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2004, 01:43   #7
toq3r

We could have it at my karaoke bar Since it's west coast, and really close to nullsoft whq, maybe we can get a special appearance from some of the nullsoft heavies

Only downside is it's 21+ only. (no minors, it's a bar) Since the karaoke all runs on winamp, it would be kinda cool to drink some beer and watch vis's behind the karaoke lyrics. (Or do what I do and sneak out in the alleyway for a quick doobie)
toq3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2004, 01:47   #8
Mrs_Mia_Wallace
has a crush on Bilbo
(Forum Queen)

Ah alright then I can understand that, there only is an open air festival in Switzerland until the 25 I wanted to go to but I can let that pass....because I like you guys that much!

And also not to be rude but could we maybe keep this to the UK meeting we have already started to plan? Because there has alreayd been a thread before suggesting a meeting but it got clogged up with man people making jokes and just saying that they can't come or that it's a good idea...also it would be kind of confusing if we were discussing possible dates and locations of two meetings in one thread, taht's why I have requested Bilbo to start this one where we can only discuss about possible locations and talk seriously about the dates, how and where exactly to get this thing going because I really want this to work out.

All you others who just want to make funny comments about meeting or might want to suggest a place in the US, I kindly direct you to the original thread:

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....=forum+meeting

Hope you are not offended or anythign but I don't want this to die again like the last thread since I really want to meet you guys. I'm most likely meeting Doktor on Saturday in Switzerland, we have already exchanges cell phone messages!

Alright, so it's still the weekend around July the 25? Who exactly can manage to be there, and where exactly should be "there"? Any of the people that live int he UK have a good idea?

Mia
Old 7th March 2004, 02:20   #9
Russ
Mostly Harmless
(Alumni)

Ooh err... 25th clashes with Glastonbury, which is Not Good.

For long you live and high you fly, but only if you ride the tide, and balanced on the biggest wave you race towards an early grave.
|Musicbrainz|Audioscrobbler|last.fm|
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2004, 02:21   #10
toq3r

Anarchy in the UK anyone?
Old 7th March 2004, 02:28   #11
Mrs_Mia_Wallace
has a crush on Bilbo
(Forum Queen)

I guess it's a festival of some kind? Never heard of it but alright - would you come to the meeting if it was another date, or anyone else so it makes sense to have it on another date? Becaues if those who will go to the festival wouldn't have come anyway we could keep that date, otherwise we would have to look for a new one, any suggestions?

It will probably be hard to find a date that fits for everyone, we have to try to find one that is alright for most of the people...

Oh and toqer, please read what I have just written:

Quote:
All you others who just want to make funny comments about meeting or might want to suggest a place in the US, I kindly direct you to the original thread:

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread...t=forum+meeting
Mia
Old 7th March 2004, 02:33   #12
Russ
Mostly Harmless
(Alumni)

Glastonbury is the largest music festival in the world (I think)... It's quite big, anyhow.

Yeah, I'd come if I was free, but my summer is fairly hectic .

For long you live and high you fly, but only if you ride the tide, and balanced on the biggest wave you race towards an early grave.
|Musicbrainz|Audioscrobbler|last.fm|
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2004, 02:37   #13
toq3r

Quote:
Originally posted by Mrs_Mia_Wallace
Oh and toqer, please read what I have just written:
Mia
I did cutie, I'm just supporting your cause Shouldn't we have worldwide parties on the same day so noone feels left out? We could NSV all the streams from around the world to one spot, it would rock!
Old 7th March 2004, 02:39   #14
Mrs_Mia_Wallace
has a crush on Bilbo
(Forum Queen)

And I don't know about it...only know about Roskilde and some others in Europe, probably because it's too far from me anyway. That's why I was conscious about coming as well, there is a festival in Switzerland as well, probably not as big but still for 6 days with 5 stages.

I would rahter go to the meeitng though because I have already been there 4 times

In case you will know when it would fit in your busy schedule, let us know as soon as possible so we can have an alternate date for others to decide in between...because until now the 25 was the best date fo rmost as far as I can remember...I had already gotten PMs from 6 people I think, I hope that they will see this thread and confirm that they still plan on coming!

Mia

edit:
Quote:
Originally posted by toqer
I did cutie, I'm just supporting your cause Shouldn't we have worldwide parties on the same day so noone feels left out? We could NSV all the streams from around the world to one spot, it would rock!
In fact, we had that very same idea in the thread I directed you to ( ), but there is no agreement on a place in the US because it's fairly bigger than Europe...it would be awesome though!
Old 7th March 2004, 03:10   #15
toq3r

Since the US is so big, and the EU is so big, we should have smaller party clusters. (well I don't know EU geography, can't say I ever had the pleasure of visiting, someday though)

USA proposed locations

San Franciso, CA (Winamp WHQ, Duh!)
Las Vegas, NV (What happens in vegas stays in vegas)
Memphis, Tennessee (Heart of US country, Elvis's graceland)
New York, NY (The big apple)

I guess we can have more than that though. Those cities go across every timezone in the USA.... We should pick a more meaningful date too, like the day winamp was first published or something... Winamp birthday celebration

I would really love to have it at my karaoke bar, but San Jose doesn't produce much in the way of music (ok so green day is from here, yay!) SF is only 45 minutes away at 75mph (around 150kmh in the UK )

I'd like to organize something here on the same day in San Francisco, and have a stream going between our parties. It will be fun I can't organize other cities because I don't live close to any of them (but please feel free too host one too!)

So what was that date again?
Old 7th March 2004, 03:15   #16
xzxzzx
Forum King

I'll be in Daneland (Denmark) May 4th through August 10th (I think that's when I'll be leaving, anyway).

I hear a flight to London can be had for cheap...

Freedom of speech is the basic freedom of humanity. When you've lost that, you've lost everything.
1\/\/4y 34|<$p4y 1gp4y 33714y, 0d4y 0uy4y? | Roses are #FF0000; Violets are #0000FF; chown -R ${YOU} ~/base
The DMCA. It really is that bad. : Count for your life.
xzxzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2004, 03:19   #17
Mrs_Mia_Wallace
has a crush on Bilbo
(Forum Queen)

Yes, you can team up with ertman on that one since he's from Denmark and will attend as well, if we keep it in the time span we chose then it will be a perfect end of your Europe visit! Do you have any preferred date or dates where it doesn't work at all?

Mia
Old 7th March 2004, 03:40   #18
xzxzzx
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by Mrs_Mia_Wallace
Yes, you can team up with ertman on that one since he's from Denmark and will attend as well, if we keep it in the time span we chose then it will be a perfect end of your Europe visit! Do you have any preferred date or dates where it doesn't work at all?

Mia
(Verifies my flight back)
Yup. August 10th.

I'd like to avoid the weekend before I leave (I'd like to have it for pack/arranging shipping/whatever), and the weekend I arrive, but other than that, I'm open the whole time...

Freedom of speech is the basic freedom of humanity. When you've lost that, you've lost everything.
1\/\/4y 34|<$p4y 1gp4y 33714y, 0d4y 0uy4y? | Roses are #FF0000; Violets are #0000FF; chown -R ${YOU} ~/base
Old 7th March 2004, 03:59   #19
Tiffany
*fap fap fap*

Someone is getting a little carried away with the psycho stalking thing here.... (o.O)

And honestly, do you really think enough people on here would be able to and/or willing to dump a shitload of money into flying to who knows where to meet some random internet people?

Maybe if they have promise of getting laid... but other than that, I can't think of a reason to do it.
Tiffany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2004, 04:05   #20
Fickle
Butterknife of Justice
(Forum King)

You redcoats have a good time, now.

Go read a book without pictures
pabook? | Look, a blog! | Buy Stuff I Wrote
Fickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2004, 04:09   #21
toq3r

Quote:
Originally posted by Tiffany
And honestly, do you really think enough people on here would be able to and/or willing to dump a shitload of money into flying to who knows where to meet some random internet people?
Thats why we do distributed partying! Seattle? Grunge scene, great place to host a node at How many people do you know IRL that you could invite to a party you hosted that would show up? Then you don't have to worry about meeting "internet stalkers" and keep it private.
Old 7th March 2004, 04:11   #22
Tiffany
*fap fap fap*

You are so weird... Do you even read what you've typed before you post it?
Old 7th March 2004, 04:37   #23
Fickle
Butterknife of Justice
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by toqer
Thats why we do distributed partying! Seattle? Grunge scene, great place to host a node at How many people do you know IRL that you could invite to a party you hosted that would show up? Then you don't have to worry about meeting "internet stalkers" and keep it private.
okay...what? Did you even read her question?

You expect me to pay for some outlandish flight bill and hotel to get drunk with you, someone I don't even know? Well, sign me up, I'm ready.

Keep it private? Do you realise that these are public forums? That hundreds of people read these things every day, and most of them you pronbably don't know, wouldn't want them in your house, and would probably steal anyting you may have (I've been looking for a new stereo, btw)?

So, I repeat, huh?

By the way. I'm down for some sort of meeting, I just don't have the green to fly out to seattle right now.

Go read a book without pictures
pabook? | Look, a blog! | Buy Stuff I Wrote
Fickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2004, 05:16   #24
Starbucks
Forum King

Quote:
San Franciso, CA (Winamp WHQ, Duh!)
I can do San Francisco. I'm very close.
Starbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2004, 05:20   #25
xzxzzx
Forum King

I can do anywhere in Cali before May 4th or after Aug. 10th!

Old 7th March 2004, 05:56   #26
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

Send a message via ICQ to dlinkwit27 Send a message via AIM to dlinkwit27 Send a message via Yahoo to dlinkwit27
/edit
deleted because getting off topic. Back to teh UK meeting and who can go, not who can't and why.
/delete me
dlinkwit27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2004, 06:02   #27
horse-fly
Account Closed

Dibs on Southern California
horse-fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2004, 06:54   #28
whiteflip
Post Master General
(Forum King)

I would love to do Southern Cali, I'm all for the Costal Road Trip man. Or we can do my house tomorrow night.

Internet Stalkage == Lack of life

Lifes for sale special introductory price, 12.95. Valid until March 31st. While supplies last.

I'm Back?
whiteflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2004, 07:46   #29
bored154
Major Dude

Location: near mid of CA Posts: not much........ B-Day: August 1st
Send a message via Yahoo to bored154
Quote:
Originally posted by Starbucks
I can do San Francisco. I'm very close.
me too (you would know) but i can't anyway, my mom and dad would never let me go see people i haven't met before.

Supporting"RE-MOD Bilbo"
.::My SETI::..::My Forums::..::My New Site::..::Winamp IRC::..::My DeviantArt Page::.
bored154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2004, 10:24   #30
toq3r

Okokokokokokkok.......

Lets everyone is grabbing locations... What about a date? When? All on the same day?
Old 7th March 2004, 10:29   #31
toq3r

::Post edited::

Tiff, my wife read your posts in both threads. She says you are a "B" and I should just ignore you.

Last edited by toq3r; 7th March 2004 at 10:50.
Old 7th March 2004, 11:32   #32
Jay
Moderator Alumni

sad, you can't think for yourself?
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2004, 12:44   #33
fwgx
Rudolf the Red.
(Forum King)

OK, back on topic. I'm free from the 7th June til whenever, excluding the 16th July, and maybe the days either side of it. I can get most places in the UK by train but Nottingham would be best for me =)

.: fwgx.co.uk.:.My art:.

"We think science is interesting and if you disagree, you can fuck off."
fwgx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2004, 13:19   #34
ertmann|CPH
Forum Viking
(Forum King)

He He, Tiff, we're europeans.... lightheaded liberals you know

Anyway, Europe, atm i'm free from mid june to late august with the exception of july 30th and August 5th to 8th. Really prefer London as i was planning to combine it with visiting my friends there.... But im flexible on that point as long as it doesn't involve stuff like Liverpool, Newcastle and Glasgow - to damn long from Stanstead Airport .

and ZXZXZXZXZZZXXZZXZXZXZX give me a shout when you're in Copenhagen, we need to go out for a couple of beers, regardless of this working out or not.
Old 7th March 2004, 13:24   #35
Mrs_Mia_Wallace
has a crush on Bilbo
(Forum Queen)

Alright, I think that no one has read my post where I said that I would like to keep this to the UK meeting since I requested the thread being made for this because otherwise we would have to dig through 100s of posts again...

And Tiffany, there were people who have already met in the UK, it's not that far of a distance to go by train somewhere, in fact I travel 3 hours by fast train just about every weekend. The only people that will fly in would be ertmann and me and yes, we will be willing to pay for a cheap flight as for me it is that I wanted to go to the UK this summer anyway so I'll stay for about a week and go sightseeing etc.

You also haven't seem to read my post either otherwise you wouldn't have posted here just to say that you won't attend

(Sorry that I am sounding mad but I really would like to get this going and once again it's the same as the old thread.. )

Mia

[edit]I'm free from July 7 - End of August pretty much, End of July/Beginning of August would be best for me...I just need to know in advance to find a flight on a certain day.[/edit]
Old 7th March 2004, 13:28   #36
Mr_007
Banned

Oh this is great idea Bilbo Baggins.
Mr_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2004, 13:56   #37
ertmann|CPH
Forum Viking
(Forum King)

Mia, check PM...
Old 7th March 2004, 14:32   #38
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to k_rock923
I would love to go but i live on LI, NY.

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
k_rock923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2004, 15:58   #39
Tiffany
*fap fap fap*

Check your messages Mia.

And just so you know... I've got 5 web geeks coming to visit me this Thurs-Sunday that I've nevet met in person before.

If had a ton of money to throw around and I had been talking with you guys for years and felt that I "knew" you pretty well, I'd consider giving it a go. I'd definitely go for the international one though.

Does "B" end with "itch"? Cuz if so... I hope you know that doesn't offend me considering my nickname has included that word for 8 or so years now.
Old 7th March 2004, 17:08   #40
psyfive
Forum King

I should have the resources to make a UK trip by early July. I would much rather attend a US gathering but going abroad sounds kinda fun. so the question is: when?
psyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions