Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions

View Poll Results: If you were to build a new computer right now, what would you pick?
XP 31 65.96%
Vista 16 34.04%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 14th May 2008, 19:07   #41
zootm
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by gaekwad2
PeerGuardian (except for an extremely buggy development version)
"Useful software" should probably be a condition here. PeerGuardian is the chocolate fireguard of privacy software.

zootm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2008, 19:48   #42
gaekwad2
Foorum King

That's not the reason it doesn't run on Vista though.
gaekwad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2008, 19:50   #43
Omega X
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to Omega X Send a message via Yahoo to Omega X
Quote:
Originally posted by zootm

You can install Ubuntu without a separate partition now (see "Wubi") so it's easy to try it out!
Is that like the live version of Ubuntu? Or is it Ubuntu running native in NTFS?
Omega X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2008, 20:01   #44
gaekwad2
Foorum King

Afaik neither, it installs a disk image as a file in Windows.
Old 14th May 2008, 20:07   #45
zootm
Forum King

Essentially what gaekwad says, although yes, it talks NTFS read/write in order to set up that disk image, and does some boot cleverness so you can boot into it. Plus you can uninstall it through Add/Remove Programs, which is pretty neat.

Old 14th May 2008, 20:11   #46
zootm
Forum King

Quote:
That's not the reason it doesn't run on Vista though.
To be fair I imagine that's just because its developer isn't all that great. The network stack in Vista was re-written so it may have been hit harder than most software, though.

But again I don't think it's a great example just because it's a useless bit of software.

Old 14th May 2008, 21:01   #47
gaekwad2
Foorum King

Quote:
To be fair I imagine that's just because its developer isn't all that great. The network stack in Vista was re-written so it may have been hit harder than most software, though.
It actually registers a driver, which means that even if the bugs eventually do get fixed it'll still be pretty much unusable in Vista 64.
As for the developer, at least he's not using Virtual Basic anymore...

Quote:
But again I don't think it's a great example just because it's a useless bit of software.
Well, it was just off the top of my head. After all the challenge was to find anything that doesn't work.

[on topic]One thing that actually affects me is that apparently M-Audio's Vista compatible driver for Delta series cards (which only took them until late December to make) is still buggy as well (and no, I don't care whose fault that is).[/on topic]
Old 14th May 2008, 21:33   #48
zootm
Forum King

Quote:
It actually registers a driver, which means that even if the bugs eventually do get fixed it'll still be pretty much unusable in Vista 64.
Very much true. It is silly software, however.

Quote:
As for the developer, at least he's not using Virtual Basic anymore...
He may have to move back to it if he can't register stuff in kernel space

Quote:
Well, it was just off the top of my head. After all the challenge was to find anything that doesn't work.
I actually have a sterling example in this computer itself. The closest thing I've had to Vista booting is a blue-screen rather than a red-screen. That said it's quite old (by modern standards), quite esoteric hardware.

Quote:
[on topic]One thing that actually affects me is that apparently M-Audio's Vista compatible driver for Delta series cards (which only took them until late December to make) is still buggy as well (and no, I don't care whose fault that is).[/on topic]
I don't know what it is about audio companies that none of them seem capable of producing decent drivers

Old 23rd May 2008, 00:39   #49
ScorLibran
Resident Floydian

As of April 2008 - mainly with the availability of Vista SP1 - I can safely say that Vista is now what I would call stable. (And I'm a PICKY son-of-a-bitch - stable means STABLE.)

It does, indeed, use more hardware overhead, and it will continue to do so. Windows XP uses more than DOS 4.1, doesn't it? Newer is almost always "fatter" because it can be well within reason.

What you should use depends on your needs, though. If you want a simple, inexpensive PC for basic, non-demanding home computing tasks, then go with XP SP2. And up until recently, serious PC gamers avoided Vista because of the performance hit and it's many compatiblity quirks. But now that the newest gaming systems offer enough hardware overhead that the difference between XP and Vista benchmarks is acceptable for the new features you get, more and more gamers are going Vista.

I don't use anything except Vista x64 with any of the gaming systems I build now, simply because there's no reason go back. With SP1 (and other updates) Vista is practically as stable as XP ever was. And under Vista x64 I can run Crysis DX10 64-bit at 1280x768 with 4xAF and 4xAA and all game details to "high", and still get consistent framerates well over the perceptual threshold of 35fps. And that's even with just a single GPU.

For years I've said that it's so easy to make XP run very reliably that if you can't then you should take some basic PC classes at a community college to learn how to "work a computer". Just now I'm beginning to say the same thing about Vista. If you're not easily able to make it work quite well, then you've got hardware bottlenecks or you are simply being beaten by the learning curve.

P.S. - even one of the greatest banes of Vista x64, a lack of compatible or reliable drivers, has been vastly overcome. Of all the Vista x64 systems I've built so far this year, NONE of them have had any driver issues whatsoever.

I'm a psychosomatic sister running around without a leash.
ScorLibran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2008, 00:50   #50
cmountford
The Rapper
(Major Dude)

Send a message via AIM to cmountford
Quote:
Originally posted by AE4713
I prefer XP ...maybe Vista will eventually get all it's kinks worked out but until then I'll stick with nice stable XP
This comment sums it up pretty well. Vista just wasn't ready to be released when Microsoft released it. They changed too much and didn't really deal w/ the huge incompatibility issues they've created. Huge advantage to vista: directx10

My suggestion: Have 2 drives, one bootable in XP & another in vista. Not sure how pissed off vista might be regarding this, but it's what I'm thinking of doing for my 8800 GTX graphics card upgrade to take full advantage of it.

directx10 is amazing...but consider this...creative soundcards...just look up the issues many ppl have been having with migration to vista. There's a good chance (no matter what microsoft says) that many legacy things may NEVER work (despite tweaks/hacks released by users to patch it).

be stuck with ONLY vista...good chance you'll find yourself S.O.L. with legacy stuff

edit: P.S. I refuse to vote on poll because of lack of 3rd option that each OS has benefits & neither one can really be said to be definitely "better" than the other

I'm a DJ. You can DL my mixes free from my website: www.djcmount.com

You have the right to refrain from posting unless you write in the "rap battles" thread. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court by mods.
cmountford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2008, 01:49   #51
ScorLibran
Resident Floydian

Even the troublesome Creative driver issues from the past 2 years are essentially resolved now, even for 64-bit Vista implementations, at least with the newer cards. My most recent build uses an Audigy SE under V64, and it's had no driver issues.

But that's a good point regarding some of the legacy components still in use, although more and more of their issues are being resolved by recent driver builds. I should revise my statement... "If you're not easily able to make [Vista] work quite well, then you've got one or more hardware bottlenecks, are stuck using one or more legacy components with questionable Vista compatibility, or you are simply being beaten by the learning curve."

Old 23rd May 2008, 02:18   #52
cmountford
The Rapper
(Major Dude)

but what about games that developers have nothing to do with anymore? Like Wheel of Time? Still a badass game but users mostly have to be self-reliant to patch & tweak to work to get it to work with new OS. Vista...I doubt it's even possible. If anyone's played WOT on vista, please let me know.

In response to Scorlibran: " I should revise my statement... "If you're not easily able to make [Vista] work quite well, then you've got one or more hardware bottlenecks, are stuck using one or more legacy components with questionable Vista compatibility, or you are simply being beaten by the learning curve."

Well I happen to have a roughly $1200-$1400 potential legacy bottleneck component...recording studio card i/o rig...kind of a big issue if it doesn't work with vista LOL. It's incredibly complex (it's M-Audio w00t!) I love it. I'd be so pissed if it doesn't work on vista. M-audio probably has patched it for vista...I'm sure. but still...just imagine people with very unusual expensive ass components produced by a company that may not have the manpower to totally revamp something so complicated for vista.

Maybe the SP1 helped a lot, but I still bet a lot of people playing really weird ass old games could very well be SOL on vista. I am seriously thinking of RAIDing another 2 drives to boot on vista. Anyone have any ideas/concerns of conflicts that could arise from this?

I have ASUS P5W DH deluxe mobo, It has ASUS EZ-backup driverless RAID (what my current dual 500 GB HD's are using)

I also believe it has 2 other RAID port options...JMicron something ...JMB36X???

Anyone know how plausible they think it would be to use the JMicron RAID ports to boot from vista while still using EZ-backup for boot from XP & to access files from my dual 500 GB RAID 1 drives (wanted redundancy, so RAID1)

You have the right to refrain from posting unless you write in the "rap battles" thread. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court by mods.
Old 23rd May 2008, 03:28   #53
ScorLibran
Resident Floydian

Quote:
Originally posted by cmountford
but what about games that developers have nothing to do with anymore?
That's called being stuck using one or more legacy components with questionable Vista compatibility. And in that context the term "component" includes older games as well, although I've had no problems running old versions of MechWarrior, MechCommander, Diablo, and a few others under Vista U-64, and most of the time compatibility mode is surprisingly not even needed.

Driver development is the responsibility of the product developer, not the operating system developer. The OS developer has a responsibility to provide all the necessary API materials to enable companies to write their product drivers for Vista (or any other OS), but the product developer still has to actually write and test those drivers. The OS manufacturer will even provide driver development support along the way to help them out.

A case in point is Creative - they had terrible problems with their Vista drivers for their Audigy product line up until just a couple of months ago. But since they put proper work into it, those issues have been resolved.

So if you have a component with bad or no Vista drivers, especially if it's something expensive and high-end, then tell the manufacturer to get off their ass and catch up with the rest of the world. Vista's been out for a year-and-a-half, and it's been acceptably stable since the service pack release a couple of months ago. Even Creative is up to date for the most part, and they're usually notoriously slow with their driver development.

Old 23rd May 2008, 19:27   #54
cmountford
The Rapper
(Major Dude)

Scor: that's good to know. Hey you have any suggestions/thoughts about my RAID question? I'm pretty sure my stuff will mostly work on vista, but I'd still like to keep XP as a backup plan

The 8800 GTX uses directx10 (not available to win xp), vista has dx10, but I believe the card should work on both platforms...it would just be not utilizing the features of dx 10 & be stuck using dx9.__

Old 23rd May 2008, 21:49   #55
ScorLibran
Resident Floydian

I'm sorry, but I haven't tested RAID in a dual-boot setting. I know that Vista (both 32 and 64) work fine with RAID configuration using Jmicron, Marvell and/or Intel Storage Mangagement drivers. But if I do have an opportunity to do a RAID setup on a dual-boot platform, I'll post my test results here.

Traditionally, all of the machines I build have one disk partition and one OS. I provide all the installation discs to my customers so if they want to reinstall and reconfigure anything like that, then they can. But I'm sure I'll build some dual-boot systems at some point in the future.

Also, yes, any graphics card that supports DX10 will work just fine in a DX9-only setting (i.e., XP).

Old 24th May 2008, 03:06   #56
Phyltre
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to Phyltre Send a message via Yahoo to Phyltre
Since previous posts in this thread, I have moved up to 6GB of RAM (I'm just trying to capitalize on low DDR2 prices, since given current development prices will only go up as DDR3 is adopted.) I'm having the smoothest computing experience on this machine I've ever had.

One consideration: Vista has been stable for me for a long time. However, I noticed the biggest jump in Vista performance when I moved to a multiple-HDD setup. In fact, I strongly recommend to all system builders that they buy a new HDD when migrating to Vista, to take advantage of increasing cache and general speed.

In its last incarnation on my desk, Vista ran smoothly but had the tendency to totally thrash the HDD at pretty much all times, sometimes creating a small delay when playing multimedia files or multitasking. Of course, this is a "feature", given how Vista handles RAM and loves to cache/index everything. Migrating to two HDDs, one storage and one OS, seems to have solved this completely.

Of course, without careful testing, I can't say for sure how much of the change is due to a newer (better) HDD versus having more than one. But I can say that it all feels like I jumped forward a few years. The moral of the story? Vista (64) will make intelligent use of whatever resources you throw at it. On an older machine, what feels like bloat blossoms out into an unusually rich OS experience. Things "just work" like you see in demo videos (the good ones, anyway.)

I'm sure this will draw scrutiny, but I think Vista is ahead of its time in some ways. It's made to take advantage of a much more powerful machine than is common currently. Which I guess explains why the Windows benchmarking tool still only maxes out at 5.9.
Phyltre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2008, 03:23   #57
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
I guess you can use fast USB pen drives as RAM on Vista. Haven't tried it yet to see if it's worth doing or not.

Don't forget to live before you die.
swingdjted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2008, 04:05   #58
ScorLibran
Resident Floydian

It's called "ReadyBoost". For a PC with marginal resources, using a flash drive for ReadyBoost will make a noticable difference (3-5% in performance tests). But for a much more capable machine, it makes no meaningful difference and isn't worth messing with in my experience.

Old 26th May 2008, 01:21   #59
Smeggle
Just Strolling By
(Major Dude)

Quote:
Originally posted by Psythik
Vista if you're going 64-bit (because 64-bit drivers for XP are practically non-existent).

XP if you're going 32-bit.

But honestly, if you're build a mid- to high-end rig, the performance difference between the two OSes is negligible.
The difference is negligible? Seriously, you don't know what your talking about if you are saying that...

Your talking an os that has double the amount of processes running at start up as opposed to xp

Vista will have a minimum of around 40[ish] running from a default install - xp around 18-20..

Vista is pure garbage. You can just about run it on 2 gigs of ram and I mean just about! I had to put 4 in my core 2 duo machine to get it to even start responding anywhere near as close as xp did on 1gig!

Plus everything that has been sorted out in the last 18mnths they have more or less gone and broken again with sp1.

Stick with XPsp2 (I still don't trust there latest sp3 yet), decent security software, switch of the garbage and everything will work...

As for 64bit? who needs it - major support for it won't happen for at least another few years so stick with 32bit

Music is Life, Love and Happiness :|: Life is Music. Serren - 1985 - 2005
Religion? Religion is a Blasphemy against humanity - From the film What the Bleep do we know

siggy link So stumbling? whats it all about
Smeggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2008, 03:02   #60
mikm
Major Dude

# of processes running at startup doesn't mean a whole lot in terms of "performance".

Disclaimer: the last time I tried Vista was on either the first or second release candidate. Then, on my system (2.0GHz Athlon X2, 2 GB RAM), I had absolutely no performance issues (or stability issues for that matter). Unless Vista's performance decreased significantly between release candidates, you're probably doing something wrong.

powered by C₂H₅OH
mikm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2008, 03:13   #61
ScorLibran
Resident Floydian

Sounds like hardware issues - or, more specifically, an issue of limited hardware.

edit: Actually, educational issues are just as likely as hardware issues at this point in time.
Quote:
Originally posted by ScorLibran
If you're not easily able to make Vista work quite well, then you've got one or more hardware bottlenecks, are stuck using one or more legacy components with questionable Vista compatibility, or you are simply being beaten by the learning curve.
Windows is certainly "heavier" than DOS alone. Once everyone moves up the hardware ladder far enough, they can migrate from DOS to Windows.

Oops, wait.....I mean to say Vista is certainly "heavier" than XP. Once everyone moves up the hardware ladder far enough, they can migrate from XP to Vista.

Quote:
Originally posted by ScorLibran
As of April 2008 - mainly with the availability of Vista SP1 - I can safely say that Vista is now what I would call stable. (And I'm a PICKY son-of-a-bitch [who tests the hell out of everything] - stable means STABLE.)

It does, indeed, use more hardware overhead, and it will continue to do so. Windows XP uses more than DOS 4.1, doesn't it? Newer is almost always "fatter" because it can be, well within reason [in order to accommodate new capabilities].
Anyone whose hardware isn't ready should certainly stick to XP. Otherwise, nowadays it's just a matter of learning how to use Vista.

Old 26th May 2008, 04:28   #62
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

I still think Vista is the OS to skip. There just aren't enough 'must-have' features for anything I do. I guess this isn't always the case for everyone, but it is for me.

Old 26th May 2008, 07:00   #63
ScorLibran
Resident Floydian

Well I see I'll have to start providing "How To Use Vista Without Mucking It Up" training classes. But I'll warn you guys, my rates are high.

I've never been as technical as quite a few of my friends and business partners, but since I've run Vista 32-bit and 64-bit through a massive gauntlet of function, system and load tests over the past six weeks and watched Vista become the only OS yet to have a perfect passing rate since SP1 GA, there must be some bit of secret knowledge I've acquired that not everyone has.

Seriously folks, if you can't make Vista run practically without fault, then you may want to consider a basic PC class or two at your local community college. You know - how to install it, change the desktop picture thingy, click on words in the Start menu, etc. It shouldn't cost very much, and you can pick up the basics in a day. Seriously.

Here's what it sounds like as an echo of 17-18 years ago: "We don't want to use Windows because it's bigger and slower than DOS, and just too darn complicated!"

Old 26th May 2008, 07:40   #64
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

I said nothing along the lines of bigger or more complicated. All I am saying is that there is absolutely nothing I can find that I personally do on a computer that Vista handles noticeably better than XP.

While I understand that you were joking, keep in mind I'm a full time computer teacher with a master's degree, not someone in need of a community college course. I'm willing to bet that most if not all others posting here are also far more technologically savvy than you make them out to be.

Last edited by swingdjted; 26th May 2008 at 08:04.
Old 26th May 2008, 09:29   #65
ScorLibran
Resident Floydian

Well Mr. Masters, in that case I hope YOU were joking - you're not really still using DOS, are you? Or is it XP you're stuck on?

OK, not referring to anyone specifically, but I'm hearing a LOT of whining and complaining from many sources here and elsewhere about Vista still being the piece of shit that I agree it was in its first year of service. Don't like the features? That's fine. But when I hear that people I was sure were more technical than me sniffling about all sorts of technical issues they have with it, it's either that people just aren't trying, or they're basing opinions on Vista's history and not on its current (and recent) state. (The latter seems far more likely.)

Seriously you guys, it's just as I've been saying for years: If I can make it work, ANYONE can make it work.

And no, I don't have a stake in Microsoft - I don't give a great goddamn if you're whining about your washing machine; it's the whining at something so simple in the first place by people otherwise technically inclined that's so silly.

OK, I'll begin the course with an outline draft...

Step 1: Open your Vista DVD package.

-- NOTE: If you don't know how to open the package, take it to your mommy.

Step 2: Press the button on the face of your DVD drive.

-- NOTE: If you do not know what a DVD drive is, please refer to Appendix A. If you do not know what a button is, place your tongue in the Vista DVD case and squeeze it closed until you hear it "click".

Step 3: Place the DVD in the open drive tray, LABEL SIDE UP.

Step 4: Either push the drive tray slightly back in towards your computer, or press the same button you used to open it.

-- WARNING: Do not place your tongue, penis or either nipple in any opening in the drive tray while it's in motion!

Step 5: Unless you've changed your computer's default configuration, the Vista DVD install program will start automatically. (Wait, who am I kidding...) - OK, for the definition of "configuration", "default", "start" or "your", please refer to Appendix B.

OK, this is going to take a while. I'll finish it later. That'll be $3600 so far.

JUST KIDDING!

Well everybody, now that your spirits have been upgraded, go upgrade your hardware.

P.S. - I am NOT going to write "just kidding" every time. Here's a clue - when you see a smilie, I'm smiling, and you should too. Be happy. Make a grin shape with your teeth. Or at least with the letter "D".

P.S.S. - This reminds me, I need to get the transcript history on a guy with an MBA I just hired for another business venture.

P.S.S.S. - I was going to alternate Vista and XP with my gaming platforms, but now I will ship EVERY SYSTEM with Vista. It may take years, but I will force all you kids to upgrade! Muahahahaha!!!

Save under file name "WhiningAboutVistaAfterSP1_WhoAreYouMyGrandFather.doc".

Old 26th May 2008, 15:38   #66
deeder7001
Jesus Freak
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to deeder7001 Send a message via Yahoo to deeder7001
For me Vista just takes a bit of getting used to. There are some programs I have that won't run(Nero) but I don't use those very often anyway. I'll stick with XP for now.

There is no sig.
deeder7001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2008, 21:27   #67
ScorLibran
Resident Floydian

That's becoming the more frequent reason for not migrating to Vista, and a quite legitimate one, at that. If it's a matter of personal preference, comfort, familiarity, or the increasingly rare issue of critical application compatibility, then it's an understandable reason to hold off. (And, of course, the matter of hardware.)

Those points are even in the migration checklists I provide to clients, titled "Are You Really Ready for Vista?" I had put it through a huge revision after SP1 GA, though, to clear out well over 95% of our reported technical issues.

Old 27th May 2008, 05:21   #68
Melqui

I will stick with XP for a few years, until Vista gets fixed
Melqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2008, 07:00   #69
deeder7001
Jesus Freak
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to deeder7001 Send a message via Yahoo to deeder7001
SP1 GA? What is GA?

I think I've fallen behind a bit in MS terminology or something.

There is no sig.
deeder7001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2008, 07:43   #70
mikm
Major Dude

GA = general availability aka the "gold" release. See this.