Old 23rd October 2010, 04:46   #1
Papa.Smurf

Sync Select Playlist

Really glad to see this released as iv always used winamp to sync to my android phone.

Both releases seem to work pretty well so far, aside from one thing. Just like in the earlier releases of winamp, the playlist sync is still broken. I have selected to sync only a single playlist of ~400 songs in preferences, though when I click "sync" Winamp goes ahead and tries to sync all ~4000 songs in my library to my phone.

Seeing as how I don't have a 55gb memory card this is quite annoying. If this is due to my own error please let me know otherwise it would be really great if you could fix this.
Papa.Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2010, 15:31   #2
subliminalurge

I've also noticed this problem. This is annoying for several reasons:

1.) I have nearly 200GB of music, and only an 8GB card in my phone.
2.) I use that card for a variety of purposes, I cannot devote the entire thing to music.
3.) My household has 1 centralized music collection on a server. I do not want my wife's and children's music, much of which I don't care for, taking up space on my phone.
4.) As the syncing functions at the moment, it managed to fill up the empty space on my sd card with Christmas music before it ever got to anything I want to listen to.

Additionally, when it syncs music, it creates artist folders at the root of the SD card. This makes navigating the folders on the card for other purposes much more cumbersome than it needs to be. Please have it store the music under the "Music" folder on the card. That's what it's there for.

I fully understand that this is beta software, and all that entails. However, these are issues that absolutely must be resolved before this app can be released as a 1.0 version. In fact, it's causing me enough problems at the moment that I'm unsure if I'm even willing to continue testing and offering feedback. By "causing problems" I mean that it's not just failing to transfer the music, it is messing up my folder structure and requiring me to spend time cleaning it up. (A problem that could have, and should have, been avoided by simply storing the music under the "Music" folder on the card...)

Winamp team, please focus on ironing out the syncing functionality. This is a functionality that is sorely lacking from Android. If we are left to manage our music collection manually through a file browser, then I must sadly say that there are already plenty of straight music player apps on Android that serve that purpose. Without the synchronization functionality, I see nothing in this app that makes it any more than just another "me too" music player.
subliminalurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2010, 23:24   #3
captainnapalm

To my knowledge, when you only want to sync certain playlists, and not your entire library, you need to go to Preferences-> Sync -> Playlist Sync -> Choose the playlist you want to sync, then scroll to the bottom of the sync tab and uncheck the "Update all songs from my Local Media Library".

I haven't actually performed this sync as I don't want everything in my root directory and no changes have been made to the playlist I sync to my phone, but when I chose sync (before canceling) it appeared to only want to sync the tracks from the playlist and not my entire library.
captainnapalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2010, 02:20   #4
Papa.Smurf

Didn't see that option there, thanks!

Also You can set the directory of the music you transfer to your device under Preferences>Portables>android> advanced. I have mine setup to put all my music to X:\Music\<Artist>\<Album>\<filename> and all my playlists are set to save under X:\Music\Playlists.
Papa.Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2010, 09:04   #5
rckymtnrfc

Hey Papa.Smurf, where are you seeing the settings to pick where it stores your music files? If I follow the path you have, and I click advanced, I get a prompt to pick a drive letter and then to mount it. And since I'm connected via WiFi, that can't be what I need.

I'm loving this if only I could get Winamp not to right the songs to the root of the SD card.
Old 30th October 2010, 13:16   #6
mzcl-mn

Thanks for your post Papa Smurf, it really helped me out
mzcl-mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2010, 16:49   #7
captainnapalm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckymtnrfc View Post
Hey Papa.Smurf, where are you seeing the settings to pick where it stores your music files? If I follow the path you have, and I click advanced, I get a prompt to pick a drive letter and then to mount it. And since I'm connected via WiFi, that can't be what I need.

I'm loving this if only I could get Winamp not to right the songs to the root of the SD card.
This is only an option if you are connected via USB. This advanced tab does not seem to be available for WiFi syncing.
captainnapalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2010, 14:17   #8
eske4e

wifi sync playlist only not everything

Anyone find a resolution to the wifi not syncing your whole music library.

I can connect to my HTC Desire HD over wifi, but when I go into the

preferences - media library - portables -

and click on the phone and go to sync tab sync and select one playlist

it still tries to sync my whole media library.

just wondering if anyone has a workaround - I'm sure it'll be fixed an another version
eske4e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2010, 03:08   #9
joebogey

HTC Incredible, and am having the same issue, not able to sync just one playlist, wants to sync the whole library.
joebogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2010, 19:04   #10
LamerIma

Thumbs down

Same issue with the Milestone XT720 (Droid X more or less...)

The issue isn't with the device, it's within the Winamp settings somewhere. I've continuously removed the files Winamp places on the SD card when it pairs to sync to no avail. I'd like to USB sync instead of Wifi sync as that creates a mess in the root directory.

Any tips?

EDIT: I have been able to only Auto-fill the device, which is not even close to what I'd like to accomplish (in the end, I'd like to sync podcasts more than anything). I have edited the pmp_android.ini file to make sure it's only calling the playlist I want, it instead grabs all 17,000+ tracks I've in the library.

Auto-fill, also removed all my ringtones and custom notification tones I've created on the device
LamerIma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2010, 01:42   #11
eske4e

anyone worked this out yet - or got a work around to just sync 1 playlist rather than everything?
eske4e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2010, 17:30   #12
mynameismiles

Poorly Designed Preferences

You may have a more serious issue, but I grappled with not being able to limit my sync to anything less than the entire library. Then I realized that scrolling down on the sync tab of the Android device's preferences revealed a check box for disabling just that.
mynameismiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp for Android