Old 11th April 2004, 06:35   #1
shaneh
Major Dude

tips fun

I saw a message in the wishlist about wanting tips with ID3 tags in the playlist. Thought it was a pretty good idea and did up a little bit of code.

It doesn't show anything more than the title at the moment, but its easy enough to extend. But even with the title its pretty useful as the screenshot shows.

I couldve made the tip appear under the mouse cursor, but after youve tried it you will probably agree the method i chose is a bit better.

Give it a go if you like. No gaurantees, just a fun plugin i thought id share. I might do a bit more on it later.

plugin follows...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tips.jpg (74.7 KB, 1779 views)
shaneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2004, 06:38   #2
shaneh
Major Dude

the plugin

As promised... the plugin.

Probably buggy as hell, but its not a finished product as yet. May never be.

There is a small issue with it though. Does anyone know a way to check whether the cursor is over an actual playlist item?

ie. If the cursor is over the playlist title, getitemfrompoint will actually return 0 - which is the same thing returned when its over the first item.

(oh and only winxp is supported. Lesser OS's dont have enough API's for my liking).
Attached Files
File Type: zip gentips.zip (1.9 KB, 695 views)

Last edited by shaneh; 11th April 2004 at 06:54.
Old 12th April 2004, 13:11   #3
shaneh
Major Dude

made a couple updates so you can see the ratings and playcount in the tips. see screenshot. Plugin dll follows.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tips.jpg (61.1 KB, 1363 views)
Old 12th April 2004, 13:16   #4
shaneh
Major Dude

Heres the updated dll, with a few fixes and improvements, mostly not noticable though (it may be a bit buggy if you dont load the media library at startup). Im now basically considering what information to display, I suppose configurable would be the best option, similar to what I want to do with toaster.

Otherwise, I might just post the source and let people modify it to display what they want. :P

Is there any particular information that should be shown in this tip which isnt normally available in the playlist?
Attached Files
File Type: zip gentips.zip (2.3 KB, 551 views)
Old 12th April 2004, 13:53   #5
siebe83
Forum King

this plugin is pretty cool!

it would be even more cool if you could configure it. I would for instance make it show the title, album and filename
(and it would be nice that when album is not defined in the ID, the tip doesn't show it: in that way you won't get 'Album: ')

and another thing:
I don't know anything about coding so this may be impossible:
I have my playlist docked at the left, so the playlist slides in when my cursor gets in that area. But the tips don't work: winamp must be focused first, so I have to click first. Isn't it possible to let the plugin work as well when the window is NOT focused?

But, i've gotta say: i like this plugin already the way it is now
siebe83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2004, 14:14   #6
inthegray
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to inthegray
you are the king of ratings, and prince of playlist plug-ins. i'm not sure if anyone else would prefer it, but i'd like to be able to get the album title:

Artist - Song
Album Title
Rating
Play Count

Maybe have a small preference section for what to display and what not to? Otherwise, if you have more important things to work on, don't bother. I'd much rather see what other plug-ins you've got in mind to put out.
inthegray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2004, 14:24   #7
shaneh
Major Dude

I probably end up making it fairly configurable, I have to write similar code for toaster anyway.

Im also planning on making a plugin/option to hook playlist titles to display media library information. ie, in the playlist it could display something like:

1. [***] artist - song 1.10
2. [**] artist - song 1.12

etc, as well as other information not available in the winamp configuration screen for formatting titles. But theres not a lot of documentation on this, so it could be a while.

@siebe: Not sure about that, it works ok in classic mode when not focused. Docking is kind of funny, so it may act up a bit. Will take a look into it. (EDIT: Just realised, the tips probably are appearing, but just under other windows. will fix it up later).

@inthegray: I may make it pull stuff out of the id3 tags properly, rather than the 'smart' media library interpretation. That way you would know if its tagged properly, as requested in the wishlist. Not 100% on how/what exactly. Theres also heaps of other info like bit rate etc etc.. but I dont really care much about that stuff, I will probably add a 'filename' part though.

Last edited by shaneh; 12th April 2004 at 15:01.
Old 3rd May 2004, 14:33   #8
siebe83
Forum King

i assume you're busy at the moment on other great stuff but still a question:

would it be possible NOT to show the tips when the mousecursor is over the scroll bar?
When scrolling the tips are being refreshed all the time very fast, and that slows down the scrolling (scrolling isn't smooth)

and it would be really great when album info is showed (if that doesn't cause too much trouble)

great plugin!
Old 3rd May 2004, 14:37   #9
shaneh
Major Dude

Yeah thats something that should probably be fixed, it needs a couple tweaks with the bounding rectangle to trigger the tips. Theres a couple other tweaks that need to be done to it. A mouseclick should probably clear the tip as well.

As you say, Im a bit busy. Too many projects, too little time. But I'll try get around to updating it soon.
Old 3rd May 2004, 19:07   #10
DrO

Quote:
Originally posted by shaneh
As you say, Im a bit busy. Too many projects, too little time. But I'll try get around to updating it soon.
join the club

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2004, 05:34   #11
DrO

Quote:
Yeah thats something that should probably be fixed, it needs a couple tweaks with the bounding rectangle to trigger the tips.
not sure, but you may want to check the documented ipc_pe.h file for that one

-daz
Old 4th May 2004, 06:02   #12
shaneh
Major Dude

Yeah, its all there. Im not sure if it excludes the scroll bar stuff, but it should be easy to do. I still havent figured out whether its still correct with different sized fonts. (u can change the playlist font size) Do you know?
Old 4th May 2004, 06:05   #13
DrO

it excludes the scrollbar and any areas that appear as the frame and it does work whatever the font size is since winamp correctly handles that

-daz
Old 4th May 2004, 07:53   #14
shaneh
Major Dude

Ok. I know winamp handles the co-ords, but the fix of '2 pixels' could have been different for different font sizes. ie, rather than off by 2pixels, winamp may be off by 20%, which just happens to be 2 pixels for a size 12 font. For a size 30 font, the amount would be different.

But Im assuming it is off by 2 pixels because of some weird border bug or something, which is fixed.
Old 4th May 2004, 14:06   #15
shaneh
Major Dude

ok I updated it. It now shows the album info and will not show tips if the mouse buttons are depressed. Also correctly adjusts based on the 2 pixel offset and borders and scroll bars etc. The tooltips should correctly appear on top of other forground windows too.

The album info is extracted from the library, so if its not in the library the album info won't be displayed.

well whatever, Im happy with it.
Attached Files
File Type: zip gentips.zip (2.6 KB, 576 views)

Last edited by shaneh; 4th May 2004 at 14:21.
Old 4th May 2004, 16:09   #16
siebe83
Forum King

and i'm happy with it!
works perfectly now
it doesn't really bother me it extracts info from the library: for me it works fine
Old 4th May 2004, 20:57   #17
electricmime
Major Dude

you arent finished with it though, right? i would really love it to be customizable (so i can add track number) too

There is no reset button on life... but the graphics kick ass
electricmime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2004, 02:14   #18
shaneh
Major Dude

I think I will probably put it on low priority for the moment. I'll take a quick look at some other code to see how easy it would be to put in, but probably try put what little time I have into a couple other plugins for the moment.
Old 6th May 2004, 10:19   #19
shaneh
Major Dude

Taking another look at it I will probably stick it in eventually, after Ive done up formatting support for Toaster. It shouldnt be too difficult after Ive written the code for Toaster, and would please more people... It just gets complicated with all the different formats and streaming and files without required info etc.. argh. I wish I knew an easy way to pass a string to Winamp to get it to do it for me, there does seem to be a way, but I havent looked at it enough, and it doesnt support ratings and playcounts anyway... sigh.
Old 6th May 2004, 12:40   #20
siebe83
Forum King

Quote:
there does seem to be a way, but I havent looked at it enough, and it doesnt support ratings and playcounts anyway
i suppose you're talking about advanced title formatting?

you could ask saivert (his balloon tip uses a sort of atf)

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....ht=balloon+tip
(old thread, but with link to his site)

as far as i have looked into it, the formatting rules can be edited, so maybe it's possible to add rate support
i know atf has been discussed (here?) allready, and for the toaster it's not really appropiate i think (for font sizes, etc)
but for the tip, i think it'd work fine

and something about streams
do you think there are people having a playlist full of streams and wanting to know ratings and playcounts?
or did you mean for your toaster?
yes, actually for your toaster atf would be great
but very complicated as well i suppose...

well, it's a bit confusing, this post... i'm sorry
after writing this, i don't have any idea what would be the best for your tip and toaster, so it's time to stop i guess...

[edit]you know what? ignore this post [/edit]
Old 6th May 2004, 13:00   #21
shaneh
Major Dude

Title formatting (and other things) are ok for toaster, I just need to do it in a certain way. ie, if you look at the screenshot in the toaster thread you can see how you specify what stuff to put on what line on the left and right side. ie, you just say how many lines, the font size for the line, what to put in each 'field', but dont specify the line breaks yourself.

I have looked at the nxballoon tip, afai can see, it does its own formatting internally, but i havent looked at it totally. As I said, this is simple enough, but it gets more complicated if you are missing some of the info, or its different, for a certain file/input plugin.
Old 9th May 2004, 11:55   #22
siebe83
Forum King

ain't it weird that a plugin maker has to compensate the fact that some people haven't complete info in their library/tags?
or do you mean that sometimes fi 'album' isn't defined, just because the file isn't part of an album?

btw:
nsxballoontip can use the formattingengine of winamp as well (don't know how it works, but saivert says so)
when downloading balloontip, the source files are there also, so you could take a look... (if that's ok with saivert, but otherwise he wouldn't have included the source, i think)

http://members.***********/files_saiv...winampdev.html

Last edited by siebe83; 9th May 2004 at 12:14.
Old 9th May 2004, 13:22   #23
siebe83
Forum King

just an idea, only when you've got time and think it makes sense and it's not too complicated
would it be possible to make the tips use the colors of the current color theme?
would be nice
(might cause problems modern vs. classic... if so: forget this)
Old 9th May 2004, 13:59   #24
shaneh
Major Dude

Yeah, advanced title formatting is probably what I will support. But it still requires you to obtain the meta data for yourself - which is painful when users expect it to also support http streams which has meta data in a different way and is missing a lot. And it also sends title update changes every few seconds instead of every song change.. bloody annoying. And thats not taking into account all the other types of input plugins too.

Modern skin support should be considered a bonus. Knowing how they are implemented, I would never use them myself. Toaster is a c++ plugin, primarily for classic skins, there is already support for notifications in modern skins, perhaps it can be extended to support ratings. But that has been done in wasabi or something, Im not familiar with that.
Old 9th May 2004, 14:09   #25
siebe83
Forum King

i know we got a bit off topic
but with using the colors of the color theme, i meant for the tips (in the playlist editor)
(this is the 'tips fun' thread )

my post about atf was about the toaster, should have posted there, sry
about that:
didn't take streams into account (and input plugins)
hope you'll succeed implementing it

sounds great!
Old 9th May 2004, 14:14   #26
shaneh
Major Dude

Oh yeah, I got confused. If theres a simple method for obtaining the colour of the current theme, I might conisider adjusting the colour. But I dont think there is, thats all wasabi (or whatever) type stuff, and isn't accessed via wa2 style IPCs.

Anyway, it probably shouldnt be changed, the other tooltips arent changed, and I think it makes sense to keep it the system defined colour.

Actually ATF could make handling some of that stuff a little easier, as it just means having to have a smart ATF spec, which uses the filename or whatever if there is no meta data available, using '$if2' etc..
Old 31st May 2004, 13:22   #27
siebe83
Forum King

still working on it, shaneh?
or did you put it off?

Quote:
Anyway, it probably shouldnt be changed, the other tooltips arent changed, and I think it makes sense to keep it the system defined colour.
i posted a screenshot to show what i meant

if you won't work on this anymore, it's fine with me
i still use the plugin and it's great!
Attached Images
File Type: png coloredtip.png (39.6 KB, 712 views)

Good Winamp plugins by Joonas, DrO and shaneh.
If you're bored go here or, if the boredom is more serious, here.
Old 31st May 2004, 14:29   #28
shaneh
Major Dude

I will still work on it, but at the moment Im working on some great additions to toaster (album cover display, atf support etc), and have a few other things on my plate.

I know what you mean about the themed colour, however I dont know of any method to get those colours. As I said, it seems to be all wasabi/ modern skin stuff which theres no simple crossover to normal plugins. You might be able to make a modern skin which has support for this sort of stuff, (like the way you get notifications in some skins) though getting ratings and playcounts isn't possible with wasabi AFAIK.

At the moment I am only planning ATF support to the tips plugin. If theres a simple method of getting the theme colour for tips, then I will add it. but AFAIK there isn't one.
Old 5th June 2004, 15:51   #29
Ikarus7

Quote:
Originally posted by siebe83
still working on it, shaneh?
or did you put it off?

i posted a screenshot to show what i meant

if you won't work on this anymore, it's fine with me
i still use the plugin and it's great!

hey, offtopic-..... siebe ! please tell where you got the Colortheme of this example-pic.... i need that one !!!!
Ikarus7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2004, 21:31   #30
siebe83
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by Ikarus7
hey, offtopic-..... siebe ! please tell where you got the Colortheme of this example-pic.... i need that one !!!!
as far as i know, it's just one of the color themes in the default install of WA
it's called 'Copper'
if you don't have it in your WA, PM me, and i'll send you the theme
it's my favourite one...

Old 9th June 2004, 23:36   #31
Antaeras

Send a message via ICQ to Antaeras
Nice skin

shaneh, what's the skin in the tips2.jpg screenshot?
Antaeras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2004, 09:52   #32
Ikarus7

hey shan, the plugin is great.
maybe you could add the following :
- skinning (i know, you answered this before)
- genereal cfg of the tips (what of the data should be shown,maybe add comment or some other stuff optionally)
Old 10th June 2004, 10:15   #33
shaneh
Major Dude

This plugin will have full support for ATF formatting as used in Toaster soon enough.

As for skinning, theres not much I can do to the tooltip other than the background colour perhaps. I don't know how to get info on freeform skins, though there probably are ipc's for it. If a way becomes known, I will support it.
Old 10th June 2004, 10:49   #34
Ikarus7

bg color is fine. for my part, i dont really need more.
thx for your answer.
Old 15th June 2004, 11:09   #35
shaneh
Major Dude

v0.4

Updated support for ATF tips. Pretty much the same tags as available in Toaster. Download that and read the readme for details on the tags.

Preferences are set within Winamps prefs.
Attached Files
File Type: zip gentips.zip (6.1 KB, 753 views)
Old 15th June 2004, 11:12   #36
siebe83
Forum King

will try it tonight, don't have time now...

Old 16th June 2004, 12:02   #37
sparkyc

Obviously this is pretty unequivocal:

Quote:
(oh and only winxp is supported. Lesser OS's dont have enough API's for my liking).
but i seem to remember that toaster was designed for xp but could be made to work under 2000 by putting a dll in the winamp directory, and was just wondering whether there was anything similar that could be done here. Just curious.
sparkyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2004, 14:59   #38
Ikarus7

lovely version shan. thx !
Old 17th June 2004, 00:59   #39
sparkyc

Ignore my question above, I asked 'cause the plugin wasn't working on my system, but I've updated it (and changed loads of other stuff in my winamp setup) and it works fine.

So there you go, it works on win2K too
sparkyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2004, 01:06   #40
shaneh
Major Dude

Yeah, I think the old version was compiled for XP only, I dropped the compile options a bit so it should work ok.
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Developer Center > Winamp Development