Old 29th January 2008, 15:44   #1
gulo

displaying stream buffering on scope

hello winamp gods / i have searched the stickys and faqs but no luck / i am running winamp 2.9.2.0 on my xp pcs and when i listen to a radio stream the little scope thingy on my gui displays the buffer status bar graph / i like this / i run winamp on several other pc's here but sometime the display bar graph displays graphic audio level instead / i don't like this / how do i get winamp to always display buffer status for streams???

your response is kindly appreciated in advance / gulo / out

gulo
gulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2008, 16:43   #2
ujay
Forum King

Not sure what you mean by 'the little scope thingy on my gui'
If you mean the Spectrum Analyser, then Winamp is doing what it should, i.e. showing the buffer ramp up and then displaying the waveform. You should only see the ramp if the buffer is not full.

In the default Classic skin there are buffering indicators next to the Spectrum Analyser that show buffer status. These are green for full, red for buffering. But then, if the red light is on you should see the ramp anyway.

Or have I misunderstood you?

UJ
ujay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2008, 17:46   #3
gulo

hi ujay and thanks / ok / the spectrum analyzer shows the buffer ramp only when the buffer is not full and the red buffer status light is on also / when the buffer is full the spectrum analyzer automaticly shows audio spectrum bars?

that explains why sometimes i get the buffer ramp and other times i get the audio bars depending upon network speeds and stream speed / does the buffer ramp corrispond to the buffer size i set in the nullsoft mpeg audio decoder (2.96) plug in? / if i were to set this to a longer time would the spectrum analyzer be more likely to show the ramp? / it is presently set to 256 / i am on a fast cable modem....

gulo
Old 29th January 2008, 18:23   #4
ujay
Forum King

1st para - you got it.

2nd para - yes, the input buffer size is set in Prefs > Input plugins > Nullsoft MPEG decoder > Streaming tab. The bigger this is the longer the stream will take to fully buffer. 256KB is on the large size for a fast connection, that would be more suitable for modem users.

On the same page are some pre-buffering settings, again, probably more suitable for use with slower connections.

UJ
ujay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2008, 19:24   #5
gulo

got it!

thanks uj!!!

gulo
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support