Old 11th July 2001, 03:25   #1
tavus

Send a message via ICQ to tavus
Hi there, let's see if I'm alone with this...

System Specs:

AMD-k6-333Mhz
96Mhz on Microstar's MS-5169
Opti931 16bit Sound Card (Model 1817)

Problem:

I can only listen to mp3 music for about 20 minutes then an error msg comes up in a windows that says that there has been an error with snd931.vxd I press "accept" and the sound is gone until I reboot my system. If I try to start again any audio app it says the sound card is being used by another program, but under "CTRL+ALT+DEL" no audio appz is listed.

I've installed Winamp 2.76 and the latest version of the drivers I've found on the internet for Opti Sound 16 Bit model 1817 with the opti 931 chip. Snd931.nfo states:
"; OPTi 931 Audio Device Driver Installation File
; Version 4.00.06
; 02/10/98"

I have tried looking for a more up to date version but I can't found anything later that the one I have now.

Also have tried with other drivers v4.00.04 & v4.00.05 both with the same results, so I decided on leaving the latest even if the problem remains.

*An interesting fact is that the only time that error msg appears is when I try to play mp3 songs and ONLY the Audio extension files, however, when I use games and all other software that use audio there are NO problems at all, everything seems flawless until I try to run any mp3player (tried Sonique and other mp3players with same results), only one that keeps on playing files without many trouble is when I try to use the Windows Media Player, but the problem here is that the sound comes out sort of distorted and with "bumps" that make the song bad no matter if it's my favorite band <G>,so I don't use it at all.

Having over 3gigs on mp3 songs I need some solution to this issue, I don't want to burn on CD's and search through the CDs everytime I want to listen to a particular song, so does anyone has any clue on what could be wrong here??
tavus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2001, 13:26   #2
NeoRenegade
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to NeoRenegade Send a message via AIM to NeoRenegade
It sounds like you're the unfortunate owner of an abandoned model of soundcard, and there probably is no solution to that particular problem.

My advice would be to get a new soundcard (they go as cheap as $20 (Canadian!)).

In fact I recently got a new soundcard for my older PII-300...
NeoRenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2001, 15:27   #3
peter
ist death

Opti931 ? holy shit, i had one of those things in my first PC... threw it away (and bought regular SB16) after 2 months because it sucked.
peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support