Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > SHOUTcast > SHOUTcast Technical Support

Old 20th September 2012, 01:13   #1
monty_lameer

No sound can be heard by my friend through Shoutcast but everything seems to work...?

Hi there

I’m new to Winamp & Shoutcast, and I’ve got a friend online who has been helping me set it up so I can broadcast live shows from my home studio into Second Life.

Everything seemed to work well at first. He was able to hear music I played directly through Winamp. But when I tried to play music from my own local computer through Shoutcast, he couldn’t hear anything at his end. The green signal metres were moving pretty much in time with the music I was playing, I was definitely connected (auto-connect selected), but no sound was coming out for him.

We noticed that the “input” options for me were just “Winamp (recommended)” and “Line In (Legacy)”. While we were testing whether he could hear music played through Winamp directly, I had that option selected to “Winamp” but when we wanted to test if he could hear music played from my computer (like Windows Media Player files, etc), I changed it to “Line In”. He said there was supposed to be an option of “Soundcard” but I don’t have this. I think this is causing the problem, but I’m not sure.

What IS legacy anyway? I seem to be forced to select this. When I did NOT tick the “Use Shoutcast v1 for Legacy servers” box, it wouldn’t play any sound through Shoutcast and the green bars were non-existent even when quite loud music was playing in Windows Media Player. When I ticked the box, it all seemed to work again.

My audio setup in my studio is I have an audio interface connected to my computer and my big speakers (not computer speakers). Everything goes through this audio interface. Music in Windows Media Player, music I record in my recording software, and the general computer sounds like beeps and clicks, etc. Nothing goes through the computer’s own speakers. If the audio interface is not operating, there will be no sound for anything. I did notice that in the Shoutcast setup mentioned my device was the Line 6 Toneport which is indeed what I use as my audio interface. So it did recognize it, and yet still no sound on the other end.

We also noticed the delay between my music (when played only through Winamp) getting to him was around 2 minutes or more. This is really bad. Is there any way to reduce this to a more manageable level?

Thanks so much for any help you can provide.
monty_lameer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2012, 16:06   #2
djsean

im having same probs, since moving over to shoutcast v2
djsean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2012, 16:09   #3
DrO

djsean: stop posting 'me too' comments when you're not providing any useful information in your own thread. if you're trying to annoy the people who might try to help then you're going the right way about it (especially with the 2 threads you posted in with unrelated content -consider this your only warning).
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2012, 16:16   #4
DrO

monty_lameer: “Line In (Legacy)” is the soundcard input (there are some differences in the layout / naming between different versions of the Source DSP but it's the same thing). the 'legacy' part just relates to the DSP working like the v1 did on XP and earlier and just relates to it using an older method of getting the audio (hence legacy).

why it's not working / appearing to get any audio i'm not sure other than have you made sure that it's set to use the correct input (may require altering the recording device in Windows settings - though if you've got mutliple soundcards then it'll only ever pick the primary which may be part of the issue as well).

in all honesty the soundcard aspect of the Source DSP was always a hack and i don't know how it's managed to work for people over the years when it is so flakey by the nature of how it works so it not working is probably not that surprising.

SHOUTcast is a buffered system so there is always going to be a delay between input and output. depending on the DNAS version (mainly v2) it's possible to lower the main buffer size but low bitrate streams are going to be more prone to having a long delay between what is taken from the source and passed to the DNAS and then onto the client.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2012, 03:29   #5
monty_lameer

Thank you for replying! I didn't think anyone was going to.

Well, since my initial post, I've determined some more things. I still don't know how to fix the issue, but it APPEARS there now is only one specific issue. So at least I've narrowed it down, lol.

Firstly, thank you for confirming the line in (legacy) thing is the soundcard. My friend and I were wondering why my computer didn't give an option for a soundcard at all.

Ok, so...I can stream music played directly through Winamp just fine. No issue except a quite considerable delay between my end and the listeners, but that's manageable.

My only issue (which admittedly is a BIG one for me) is that I cannot get anyone to hear music when played through my Ableton recording software. This is not played through Winamp direct. I know to change the settings when I want to play a song through Winamp and when I want to play it through my own computer / Ableton. But nothing seems to work!

I can stream my own VOICE fine through my mic (and with absolutely NO delay for some reason either). I found this out accidentally, and it was a bit embarrassing. My friend and I were working on my setup in Second Life, and he couldn't hear the music I was playing through Ableton (the instrumental track I had playing), but then I got bored so started singing into the mic just for my own amusement and he heard me right away. Eep! lol

So that's a good thing, that (1) he heard me, and (2) there was absolutely no delay (though I don't understand why that is), but...it's a very BAD thing that he couldn't hear the other music playing!

So...it seems that my settings are picking up my audio interface as being the only way of sourcing audio to stream. My mic goes straight into the interface, so maybe this is why that could be heard, but not the other instrumental track that was playing. And I mean, EVERYTHING goes through the interface because this is how I get all my audio, but...the mic is what goes literally DIRECTLY through it and relies on it to work. Ableton doesn't actually go directly through the interface, as such.

I don't know about changing any Windows settings. I've already looked at these and can't honestly see what I could change that would help my situation. If I change anything, then I lose my current setup and can't hear anything.

I also wonder if I could somehow work around this issue by playing my instrumental tracks direct through Winamp and then still singing live into the mic, cause both of these individual methods seem to work ok. EXCEPT...(a) if the mic has no delay and the instrumental track played through Winamp does, OOPS! That is NOT gonna work! (b) the settings may not be compatible to play direct through Winamp AND be able to pick up the mic through my interface, and (c) I may need to edit some of the instrumental tracks while singing live, and cannot do this if they're played direct through Winamp as MP3 files. Ugh.

So...yeah. Does any of this provide any enlightenment, oh wise one? lol
Old 3rd October 2012, 04:27   #6
LeionKeY

Send a message via Skype™ to LeionKeY
IF you want to know what's your manufacturers soundcard try opening start menu and, where you can search for something, type "dxdiag" and a window will be opened. Then you go to sound and it says some info. If you want more click save the information and tell your friend to do the same, maybe there will be the problem, the soundcard.
HOPE THIS HELPS

Those who look only to the past, or the present, are certain to miss the future...
LeionKeY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2012, 04:31   #7
monty_lameer

Thanks...I somehow don't think it's the soundcard that's the problem, but rather, the way I've got my audio stuff set up. *sigh*
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > SHOUTcast > SHOUTcast Technical Support