Old 13th March 2014, 14:04   #1
DLPB

Force Mono Issue

This one is a strange one, and maybe you can help.

At the moment I have one speaker, so I've set Winamp to force mono output. With most MP3s that works fine. But with the ones I personally created a LONG time ago, there are strange artefacts or sounds during playback (that are not present or noticeable when the same MP3 is played in stereo). I compared to the same Mp3s made by others and the only difference I can see is my boneheaded idea to make mine 224 kbit/s, and the fact mine are showing as 44100 Stereo, NOT Joint Stereo.

Edit.

Seems that force mono does not like "stereo" mp3 v joint stereo. It plays Joint Stereo properly.
DLPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2014, 18:31   #2
DrO

an example file would be useful, though not knowing what you mean by "a LONG time ago" it could be a Winamp issue or (as i suspect is more likely) it's an issue with the encoding of the files in the first place and it's that which is leading to the artifact issues.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2014, 23:07   #3
DLPB

It's happening on ALL stereo MP3. By me, or otherwise. It does not happen on joint stereo MP3.
Old 25th March 2014, 11:07   #4
DrO

i've just created a test file at 224kbps CBR stereo (using lame included with v5.666) and it plays fine from what i can hear compared to the original. and this is why an example file would be useful as i'm having to guess what / how the files have been encoded as it's simpler to test / check things with what is the faulty file than my having to guess.
Old 26th March 2014, 18:30   #5
DLPB

I'll post one of the worst examples later (I'll post unaltered mp3 and see if you get same issue). It's also happening on joint stereo too on a few. This could also be an issue with my Audigy 2 sc using winamp. Pops and clicks and weird noises throughout.
Old 8th April 2014, 08:31   #6
DLPB

You can hear the issue all through this song, but there's even loud auidble poppin right at the start.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ry%20Short.mp3

Please let me know when you got it.
Old 8th April 2014, 09:38   #7
DrO

i've got it and just had a quick play and i can hear a 'pop' when force mono is enabled, though i'm sure i can hear the pop at the same time when that option is disabled (but only just at ~5sec which i can hear in other players as well). though i'll see if i can have a play around to try to determine what might be going on to cause it (as the other players i quickly tried seemed to be ok, but i'm not 100% that they were playing in mono in the same way).
Old 8th April 2014, 23:39   #8
DLPB

I don't hear it at all on stereo (and def not the sheer number of pops that go on and on)... and it's on virtually all mp3s using stereo as opposed to joint. Although some joint also seems to have it. Basically mono has an issue.

Also... Force mono doesn't seem to work on flac and some other formats. Winamp stays in stereo mode.
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports