Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports

Old 9th May 2014, 16:25   #81
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
NO NEED TO RESPOND, not trying to annoy, argue, or aggravate, but I do want to register my disagreement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
online services fail - just look at the failure of the wiki today and how it was down for the first few weeks after the sale. if anything, the sale has shown that relying on online aspects for things is not always the best way and as we already provide some sort of in-Winamp help, maybe trying to bolster that is better than going down the online route.
that's really not a valid reason. one expects disruptions in a sale and a shutdown could have been far more disruptive and permanent. but that's no reason to not at the very least clone local documentation online. one hopes that such situations are aberrations anyway.

Quote:
and my thoughts on a system rely on USER provided details (BUT not blindly allowed as your proposal still would do) in addition to what myself and Egg would be producing since it would allow for user contributions, but not via a wiki setup but as patches to a maintained singular file (so taking the wiki approach as such but doing what would work best with how things have to be integrated).
so in other words, users can't be trusted. I actually have sympathy to that POV, but the problem is you and Egg won't ever do this. you guys just won't have the time. imo it is far more likely, and better, to let the [picked / selected] users create the content, and then you guys review and edit it after the fact, which is a LOT less time consuming for you. there are MANY apps which do this.

having users submit things to you to be reviewed b4 published means those things will just sit, and means no peer review will occur before you get a chance to review them.

Quote:
as i much prefer not having to wait for help pages to load and is why an offline version is more appealing (and yes lots of us have fast internet speeds, but a lot don't or don't want to waste it on looking up help, hence another reason why an offline / local version is more appealing).
so again, have both. just clone them to each other.

Quote:
and my idea on things also meant that the version of information provided to the user would be correct for the version of Winamp being used (as the possible system would allow for versioning of the help information to specific clients), as a wiki / online would most likely either be for the current release (or lag behind) and would then be providing out of date / incorrect information. as we have clearly seen, people don't update unless they have to and why would they want to see incorrect information for v6.1 when they're on v6.03.
the documentation should only support the latest version, and that then is a reason in and of itself to update. we should not worry about, or try to support, anyone using anything but the latest, imo.

again, that's how other apps do it. its not unusual.

Quote:
anyway, what may or may not happen, any option requires in-Winamp changes to facilitate things. and like i've said already it's just ideas we were floating around internally and will most likely not come to anything, but a wiki option is pretty much not going to be officially sanctioned, i can be fairly certain about that.
I do appreciate your taking of the time to explain your POV, I just don't agree with any of it. even a wiki that is out of date, is better than nothing. and a wiki allows itself to be properly updated easily.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing

Last edited by MrSinatra; 9th May 2014 at 19:02.
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports