Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports

Old 30th September 2013, 02:58   #1
wolfdogg

winamp crashing on missing, broken files, and or crossfading

winamp locks up my system for a year now, over two operating systems. i use crossfading and i suspect thats part of th eproblem. i like using it for trance tunes, and never know that it needs to be turned off when music is missing.

now im not sure its the cross fading doing this, but when winamp stops responding, BOY does it stop responding, the ENTIRE suystem. i have to ctrl alt del, and wait 5 minutes before i can actually click on end task for winamp, come on, we all know what im talking about. its happened since winxp days, across ALL versions, and is happening in Win7.

this always happend when you try toplay un supported files, broken files, missing files, etc....

i love important business work if i have to restart, or important business time if i have to wait it out.

yesterday i was developing a website and running winamp, when i went to my bookmarks and selected http://www.tranceelements.com:9990/ and it totally fucked my work flow, blow down my operating system, and im tired of this shit. ok i just had to get some of those words off my chest.

so lets please get a fix implemented for this INTO the installation once and for all please.

you can try it here,

go to this page download the pls http://www.tranceelements.com/download-trance-music/
turn on cross fading

is that happening to anyone else?

Otherwise, just put 3 .mps in a folder on your desktop, add them to the media library, then delete the middle one, or atleast make sure the one you deleted lands in the middle of the 3 in your playlist, turn on cross-fading, try 14 seconds if you want, then press play on the first file. now either skip forward to the 2nd file, or let it play out until it gets there, or just double click the 2nd file(the missing one) after the first one start to play. heck you can even just double click the 2nd to start with if you want,

Wham! as it tries to find the file, the crossfade or SOMETHING kicks into action, and the system slows to a crawl.

Can we put something like linux's top on the binary so it doesnt take down the entire friggen CPU?

if you cant reproduce this, i can try to figure out what to look for, if someone can point me in the right direction, because i have been reproducing it once a month for years now, on various installations, various libraries, various sound cards, various settings, and its affectging my work no so im finally going to post about it.....

thanks in advace for all of you to test this out, and find a fix.
wolfdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2013, 16:27   #2
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi Wolfdogg,

Use Koopa's Winamp Info Tool v4.2 beta (link below) to create an extended report of your configuration. Use the advanced reply editor to attach it to a post. Do not cut & paste because it is very long.

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=328932

Winamp Pro 5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2013, 23:05   #3
wolfdogg

oh and i noticed cross fading is not on, so it has been off for a while, probably over the last month, since i just reinstalled windows 7, and installed a fresh copy of winamp, so crossfading wont be an issue in this one.

i just played a file, maybe its in the report, LS11028*.mp3, it took forever to queue up. i thought it was crashing again.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Winamp_Info_Report_30.09.2013.txt (21.8 KB, 282 views)
Old 1st October 2013, 02:49   #4
Aminifu
Forum King

Oh well, so much for hoping something would show up in the report. I don't see anything obvious.

Assuming your computer has a decent amount of RAM and a powerful enough CPU, also assuming your local files play in other apps (like WMP or VLC), and/or you have checked them for corruption with the appropriate tools, I have nothing definite to offer at this point. I'm also assuming your local files are not coming from an external drive. Too many assumptions, but you have not provided the details and details matter as indicated in the sticky on troubleshooting.

There could be settings errors and/or data file corruption, but you said this is a fresh install. I assume it was a 'clean' default installation and not just an in-place re-installation of the program files.

On my system, if the playlist contains the name of a missing file or files, Winamp just skips over it or them and plays the next existing files in the list without any delays (I use the DirectSound output's remove silence feature for gapless playback). I have also used crossfading from time to time, without any problems.

For sake of completeness, the report does say that crossfading on seek and on pause/stop is enabled. But I don't think that is causing your issues. I could be wrong since the DirectSound output plug-in has been known to do strange things at times.

I also see that you have playback set for 16 bits. If any of the files you are trying to play are encoded with more bits, then Winamp will try to down-sample them. I suggest that it would not hurt to enable 24 bits. If your sound device can not handle it or if you have the Windows sound control set for less, then Windows will do any down-sampling needed.

There have been some changes to streaming media support in the discontinued Winamp beta development branch. These should be in the next stable release, which should be available soon.

Old 1st October 2013, 04:15   #5
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfdogg View Post
oh and i noticed cross fading is not on, so it has been off for a while, probably over the last month, since i just reinstalled windows 7, and installed a fresh copy of winamp, so crossfading wont be an issue in this one.

i just played a file, maybe its in the report, LS11028*.mp3, it took forever to queue up. i thought it was crashing again.
why is there an asterix in the filename? no filename should have one, so were you just saying you didn't know the ending characters of the name?

have you tried running winamp in "safe mode" just to see if it makes a difference?

have you tried a winamp lite install?

have you tried a completely vanilla winamp install where you made no changes to the default settings of the initial install? and you also did not add any anything to it? (plugins, etc)

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2013, 21:32   #6
wolfdogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
Oh well, so much for hoping something would show up in the report. I don't see anything obvious.

Assuming your computer has a decent amount of RAM and a powerful enough CPU, also assuming your local files play in other apps (like WMP or VLC), and/or you have checked them for corruption with the appropriate tools, I have nothing definite to offer at this point. I'm also assuming your local files are not coming from an external drive. Too many assumptions, but you have not provided the details and details matter as indicated in the sticky on troubleshooting.

There could be settings errors and/or data file corruption, but you said this is a fresh install. I assume it was a 'clean' default installation and not just an in-place re-installation of the program files.

On my system, if the playlist contains the name of a missing file or files, Winamp just skips over it or them and plays the next existing files in the list without any delays (I use the DirectSound output's remove silence feature for gapless playback). I have also used crossfading from time to time, without any problems.

For sake of completeness, the report does say that crossfading on seek and on pause/stop is enabled. But I don't think that is causing your issues. I could be wrong since the DirectSound output plug-in has been known to do strange things at times.

I also see that you have playback set for 16 bits. If any of the files you are trying to play are encoded with more bits, then Winamp will try to down-sample them. I suggest that it would not hurt to enable 24 bits. If your sound device can not handle it or if you have the Windows sound control set for less, then Windows will do any down-sampling needed.

There have been some changes to streaming media support in the discontinued Winamp beta development branch. These should be in the next stable release, which should be available soon.
8gb memory running at 64bit, amd phenom II X4 945 - 3.0 ghz.
i cant check if the files play in vlc at this time, because im not sure which ones are causing the problem, i will be sure and check this next time i come across the problem. i have done this before but cant remember the results.

data file corruption is a possibility, any good tools to check for this with in particular? chkdsk always runs, when needed. i can run a linux systemrescue disk on it, and run an e2fsck or something, and a gparted check or something. i can run some smart mon tools on it as well.

drive is internal, a data drive which is a media file server drive.

i will try the gapless playback, but i hope that doesnt mess up the apparent mixing / fading experience, i.e. i hope it doesnt sound like its a bad dj at the helm.

crossfading may have been on, but after i did the report i saw it was switched off, cant tell you if i did that or not, but i didnt think i did. could this be a problem if the report says its on and its off by the switch?? or is this impossible?

im going to immediately put playback at 24 bit, didnt realize it was less than some media, i like to use it, but since its primarily a default install, i wanted to rule out any possibilities of problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
why is there an asterix in the filename? no filename should have one, so were you just saying you didn't know the ending characters of the name?

have you tried running winamp in "safe mode" just to see if it makes a difference?

have you tried a winamp lite install?

have you tried a completely vanilla winamp install where you made no changes to the default settings of the initial install? and you also did not add any anything to it? (plugins, etc)
asterix was because i didnt know the rest of the name, no asterix are in the filename.. did you try the link i included to see if it gives your system a problem? the one from tranceelements.com? the feed may be back and working, i dont want to try it again unless you say its working, becuase if its not working, i dont want to kill my system again.

i havent tried safe mode, ill try to do this next time i have this problem, how do you start it in safe mode, with a shortcut switch, or some other way?

i havent tried a lite install, but this is a default fresh install in a fresh installation, default install i didnt copy ANY program files, but i did run some sort of backup restore, not sure which one, that area gets kind of confusing sometimes. i.e. the winamp backup program, and the media library backup, those are the only two i use, but not all the time.

i can tell you i do remove dead files using the command in the library menus now and then to try to keep the problems to a minimal.

thanks for the suggestions, keep them coming so i can get to the bottom of this. :-)
Old 9th October 2013, 18:09   #7
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfdogg View Post
crossfading may have been on, but after i did the report i saw it was switched off, cant tell you if i did that or not, but i didnt think i did. could this be a problem if the report says its on and its off by the switch?? or is this impossible?
I'm using the same CPU, 2 GB less RAM, and an internal drive to store my media files. So I don't think hardware is/was the problem. You imply the lock-ups have stopped, so maybe the fresh install 'fixed' whatever.

I assume you mean crossfading being switched off as indicated by the Winamp equalizer panel. That only indicates if crossfading between consecutive playing files is enabled or not. Crossfading can be applied for other situations (as indicated in the report submitted) with the options in the DirectSound output plug-in's configuration tabs. It is up to you to submit a report of the current state of your configuration. If you change things after submitting a report, then the report is not very useful.

I have not heard of any crossfading setting causing lock-ups. But almost anything is possible with Winamp, due to it's architecture that unavoidably allows plug-ins (mostly old 3rd party ones) to mess with things.

If changing the defaults concerns you (results sound like a bad DJ), keep notes of anything you change (and when) so that you can change it back without relying on memory. Good notes help most with returning to a previous state, when an undesirable result is not noticed right away.

I don't know an easy way of checking the integrity of the database files that Winamp creates. If you suspect a problem, shutdown Winamp and move the current file(s) to a place for safekeeping. Then restart Winamp and let it recreate it or them, as needed.

There are many free tools available for checking the integrity of mp3s, less so for other digital formats (but a Google search should turn up something).

Good luck.

Old 10th February 2014, 18:50   #8
wolfdogg

i still have the same problems, new operating system, reformatted hard drive, win7x64, new installation of winamp, just trying to place tranceelements for example when the station goes off the air,

bookmark this in winamp
http://www.tranceelements.com:9990/

then try to play it. they have been off the air again for the last few days, im VERY reluctant to try it, because im using my pc for development work, and cant afford a reboot right now.

normally lately with my new system i can ctrl+alt+del and wait for the task manager to sloooowly come up, then end process on winamp, but until then, the system is dead, takes about a minute or so. totally tired of it.

i wonder if its my audio chipset. get this, its a "VIA high def audio", via always has its share of problems. its onboard. i have Asus M4A87TD-EVO(b) board
Old 10th February 2014, 18:55   #9
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
u could try a driver update.

the server is down now, but I tried it anyway, nothing happened beyond winamp saying "End of Playback"

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2014, 19:06   #10
DrO

is also using an older Winamp client (better to re-try with v5.666 and the in_mp3.dll from build 3512) rather than 5.65 (as the info tool suggests is / was being used).
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2014, 11:35   #11
wolfdogg

ill have to rerun that info tool again sometime, as i mentioned, that was before i had replaced my operating system.

thanks for the info too, im glad to hear someone else actually finally tried that link. wish it was that easy on my end, tired of the lockups.

i always keep up to date drivers, maybe just an alternate driver i can try....
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports