Old 1st February 2007, 20:29   #1
DocWho

Lightbulb Feature Request: Customizable Columns

I would love to see customizable columns so I can access the file creation date. I am always updating my iPod and would love to see the last files I transferred.

Thanks,
Chris
DocWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2007, 05:59   #2
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

There is already such a feature request on SourceForge...

WinAmp Pro 5.5 with ml_iPod 3.10 + dev.patches (download it)
ml_iPod documentation Wiki - ml_iPod FAQ - search ml_iPod forum - iPhone/iTouch - Found a bug?
Donations to support the ml_iPod project can be done HERE
abu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2007, 11:06   #3
Stupifier
Major Dude

Out of curiousity, Abu, is such a customization even possible on iPods? I always knew small tweaks and things are possible but this just seems different and a lot more involved to me. I guess I'm under the blind understanding that these kind of modifications are just plain impossible.

This would be the mother of all modifications in my book though. Anything to increase the accessibility of specific groups of music and organize them together is a golden nugget for me (I have too much music ).
Stupifier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2007, 12:14   #4
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

Oh no, this is about the columns in the iPod view of Winamp, nothing on the iPod itself!

ml_iPod documentation Wiki - ml_iPod FAQ - search ml_iPod forum - iPhone/iTouch - Found a bug?
Old 4th February 2007, 07:03   #5
Stupifier
Major Dude

OOH!!! Ok, I misunderstood
Old 5th February 2007, 19:14   #6
DocWho

Abu,

The request on Source Forge is over 180 days old. How can that request move up in priority?

Chris
Old 8th February 2007, 15:33   #7
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

It can't
I don't think that this is a very important issue, and I don't have too much time at the moment for ml_ipod. If anybody finds the time to implement it, fine. It's all open source

Old 10th February 2007, 17:53   #8
DocWho

Hmm, do you take donations for features?
Old 10th February 2007, 18:32   #9
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....hreadid=265535

Old 12th February 2007, 16:50   #10
DocWho

I am shocked only 14 of that amount gave something. Well, you can make that number 15.

And to add a thought to what was said in the other thread, if someone really wants something bad, as opposed to saying it won't be done, give the option that it can be done for $x.xx. I work for a software company and that is basically what we do where customers want features that make no sense to implement for all customers for free. If they want it that bad, cough up the $$ for the development, then we will add it and let everybody have it. Just a thought.
Old 12th February 2007, 17:03   #11
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

Quote:
Originally posted by DocWho
...if someone really wants something bad, as opposed to saying it won't be done, give the option that it can be done for $x.xx.
Nice thought, but against the OpenSource spirit, I think. Actually, I don't want to do it for money: I earn my living in a SW company, too. I want to keep it being fun.

So if anybody wants sth. real badly, he/she has to find someone who is willing to code it, and then we can add it to the main development branch. No problem.

Old 12th February 2007, 17:29   #12
DocWho

Abu,

Not trying to beat a dead horse, but I was actually surprised this wasn't in the ml_ipod plug-in as it already exists in all the filter sets for views under local media. I assumed ml_ipod would inherit that property. I guess it requires additional code to get that done, then?

PS: Are you a programmer in "real life"?
Old 12th February 2007, 18:33   #13
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

Well, no inheritance for the ML plugins at all
The design is simply to pass a window handle, and the plugin has to do all on its own. ml_iPod is mostly plain WIN32 API calls. That's what makes it such a pain to change the UI.

I added some MFC support for the prefs at least, but the rest is still very old. I estimate at least 30 hours of work to implement this. It has to be done all "by hand", Winamp API provides nothing for this.

And yes, I'm software developer in real life. But on Solaris and Linux, not so much for Windows.

Old 7th March 2007, 20:49   #14
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

Re: Feature Request: Customizable Columns

Quote:
Originally posted by DocWho
I would love to see customizable columns so I can access the file creation date. I am always updating my iPod and would love to see the last files I transferred.
So, actually what you want to see is NOT the file time, but the time when the file was added to the iPod, right?
(The file creation time is copied from the source file on the hard disk, to make checks for changes possible)

Old 7th March 2007, 21:06   #15
DocWho

Yes, the date added to the ipod would be great, but also the creation date could work as well. I think either would help me with Added Date being first, then creation date in importance.
Old 8th March 2007, 18:00   #16
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

Ok, I have part of a solution. It's not the full fledged thing, but I think it might help you.
I added a column "Added" to the very left. You can sort by that column, but only in the Artist/Album view (not in a playlist)

Coding this, I discovered that ml_ipod has always handled the "added" field in the iTunesDB wrong. I fixed that now, but for songs already on the iPod, the file modification time is taken instead. For newly transfered stuff it should work as expected.

Try patch 2.02p10.

Old 12th March 2007, 12:36   #17
DocWho

abu,

Thanks! That is what I was looking for. The only other wish is to re-order the columns, but I can shrink the columns I don't "use" so it is all good.
Thanks for all your hard work!

Chris
Old 12th March 2007, 13:05   #18
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

With the newest patch 2.02p12, you can even hide/show columns individually. Use the right mouse button on the column header:

Reordering is not possible, and I think I won't do that: That would cost too much rearranging the code, it depends heavily on the given order. I think with hiding individual columns, the most important feature is added.

Old 12th March 2007, 13:48   #19
Stupifier
Major Dude

Very true....no point in struggling for such a small gain.
Old 12th March 2007, 14:31   #20
DocWho

Abu,

Again, you exceed expectations! Thanks so much!

Chris
Old 12th March 2007, 14:42   #21
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

Thanks for the flowers (Is that a phrase in English, too? It's translated word by word from German...)
Quote from LEO: ...I learned this German expression only recently and like the metaphor in it. I don't know of any equivalent in English.
"You're very kind" is probably an equivalent in the given context, but there is no metaphor and it sounds a little formal or old-fashioned. But maybe "Danke für die Blumen" does too?

Old 12th March 2007, 14:44   #22
DocWho

I think in English one would say "Thanks for the praise" or "thanks for the accolades". And you are very welcome. keep up the great work!
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp iPod Plugin Discussion