Old 5th April 2010, 17:55   #1
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

Unhappy ###### Project status (PLEASE READ) ######

see http://mlipod.sourceforge.net/wiki/Project_status
Sorry, guys.

WinAmp Pro 5.5 with ml_iPod 3.10 + dev.patches (download it)
ml_iPod documentation Wiki - ml_iPod FAQ - search ml_iPod forum - iPhone/iTouch - Found a bug?
Donations to support the ml_iPod project can be done HERE
abu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 13:06   #2
SyntaxGS

Thanks for everything, abu. Don't blame you one bit for throwing in the towel because of the new devices... what a pain in the ass Apple is for devs like you.

ml_iPod still stands as the best iPod management system for the devices it is compatible with and I'll be using it for many years to come.

80GB iPod (5.5G) // Latest Winamp // Latest ml_iPod
SyntaxGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 15:42   #3
DrO

i'm not too surprised this has now come about.

if things are now essentially halted then is it possible to have the fix from http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....58#post2616558 applied to at least remove some of the support issues that have come about due to the ml_ipod plug-in not implementing that please?

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2010, 00:29   #4
angelwolf71885

so long and thanks for all the fish

i will keep the spirit alive and maybe find someone who can keep the project burning
good luck with your life abu i really appreciate your work and help
angelwolf71885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2010, 10:11   #5
frauhottelmann

Well, I think we all saw it coming. But since I am not going to buy a new iPod any time soon (80 GB is just enough) I can live with it. I am going to buy a HTC Desire or similar this year and since 32 GB micro-SD-cards are available now, I probably won't need my iPod any more.
I wasn't really active as Wiki-Admin for a while and it will be that way in the future. I will reply to the Wiki-account thread and to PMs though, if you need advice regarding the Wiki or the current ml_iPod functions.

Thanks again Abu for everything.

ml_Ipod-Wiki
iPod Classic Black 80GB
-
Samsung Galaxy S
frauhottelmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2010, 11:24   #6
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
i'm not too surprised this has now come about.

if things are now essentially halted then is it possible to have the fix from http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....58#post2616558 applied to at least remove some of the support issues that have come about due to the ml_ipod plug-in not implementing that please?

-daz
Ouch, I missed that one. Made a "final" release with all the latest patches, but this one was out of sight.
Well, if it's only this if construct, we could do a 3.10 as final...
But I get:
Quote:
D:\down\Winamp\SDK\gen_ml\ml_ipod\MlPlugin.cpp(492) : error C2065: 'SetWindowLongPtrW' : undeclared identifier
D:\down\Winamp\SDK\gen_ml\ml_ipod\MlPlugin.cpp(492) : error C2065: 'GWLP_WNDPROC' : undeclared identifier
D:\down\Winamp\SDK\gen_ml\ml_ipod\MlPlugin.cpp(494) : error C2065: 'SetWindowLongPtrA' : undeclared identifier

ml_iPod documentation Wiki - ml_iPod FAQ - search ml_iPod forum - iPhone/iTouch - Found a bug?
Old 8th April 2010, 11:39   #7
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

Question

DrO: SetWindowLongPtr seems to be a function for 64bit systems. ml_iPod is still compiled with VC6

Out of luck?

Old 9th April 2010, 07:21   #8
DrO

just looked and it's a #define to SetWindowLong(..) with the sdk i've got installed with my VC6 install. and GWLP_WNDPROC is identical as GWL_WNDPROC so the following should work:
code:
if(IsWindowUnicode(plugin.hwndWinampParent))
WinampProc = (WNDPROC)SetWindowLongW(plugin.hwndWinampParent,GWL_WNDPROC,(LONG)HookWinampWnd);
else
WinampProc = (WNDPROC)SetWindowLongA(plugin.hwndWinampParent,GWL_WNDPROC,(LONG)HookWinampWnd);

-daz
Old 10th April 2010, 17:46   #9
robdog2004
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to robdog2004 Send a message via Yahoo to robdog2004
thanks for the new version abu

also abu i am available to help test the project for you

thanks rob
(c)rob 2013 (picture & SN)

(please note) As users we can't give others help unless we get full details of the problem that you are having
robdog2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2010, 07:54   #10
TheOnlyRick

Thanks

Many thanks Abu to you and and to the other people who have worked on this plugin. It's a shame it's stopping, but completely understandable.

Although I do really like my iPod, I hate Apple's lockdown approach (and the fanboyism that weirdly goes along with it).

I recently bought one of those emergency chargers for my 'pod, but it wasn't working 'cos the company had sent me an iPod charging tip for an older model.

From what I understand (FWIU?): They said that Apple changes the wiring in the tip every generation, and then licences that particular configuration. This means that companies need to pay Apple every time they sell one of their iPod-compatible tips.

I wish another company would produce an MP3 player big enough and good enough that could avoid those Money Vampires completely.

What? This crap will appear at the bottom of *all* my posts?
TheOnlyRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2010, 02:29   #11
homes32

thanks for all your time working on this _classic_ winamp plugin! enjoy your "retirement" you deserve it!

homes32
homes32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2010, 02:44   #12
yaguarete

Hi guys, I totally understand why you threw the towel, I would have done the same. So I won't bother you asking why there's no support for my 5g nano, I understand. But I have a question: before I knew there was no support for 5g nano, I installed ml_iPod v3.09 but I had also my old 2g nano connected. Then when the plugin asked "what kind of iPod you have?" or something like that, I chose "iPod video" but it was asking me for the 2g iPod connected!!! Stupid me, I know. So know it won´t show the songs in my 2g nano. How can I re-set that option, so I can reconfigure and "tell" the software I actually have a 2g and not a 5g nano connected? I tried reinstalling the application and even whole Winamp but nothing worked. Only asks when I connect the 5g, but not the 2g.
yaguarete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2010, 03:39   #13
robdog2004
Major Dude

to yaguarete
2g nano does not have video support
if you do not care if all settings are lost on the player, right click the player and click format, after format is done unplug the player and let it reboot,plug the player back in and let itunes download its firmware version,after it installs the firmware click the x on the syncing status, after that click the ipod in itunes and check manually manage music, then close itunes and open up winamp, follow the on screen pop-ups
the other way to reset the ipod if you dont want to lose settings is to open up the nano on windows explorer and go to "drive letter:\iPod_Control\iTunes" and delete all files that contain mlipod in the name (this at least works on 3g and 4g nano ipods so it should work as well on previous generations)
if it doesnt i will find what is left of my 2g ipod and see what it takes

thanks rob

(please note) As users we can't give others help unless we get full details of the problem that you are having
Old 5th August 2010, 08:49   #14
frauhottelmann

It should be more than enough to delete X:\iPod_control\iTunes\ml_ipod.ini on your nano and ml_iPod should let you choose the iPod type again

ml_Ipod-Wiki
iPod Classic Black 80GB
-
Samsung Galaxy S
frauhottelmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2010, 03:39   #15
yaguarete

Thank you too guys!!!! robdog2004 and frauhottelmann, you really know what you're talking about. Here's what I did: following your advices I deleted (first I always backup of course) the ml_ipodxxx.ini files. Then when I reconnected the nano I got the initial message from ml_ipod asking me what type of iPod I have. Then I selected the correct one.... and again I couldn´t see my songs. Ok, no problem, but I had set up the right device. Then some few songs displayed there when I started iTunes I think, I'm not so sure, but the thing is I still couldn't see most of my almost 400 songs. So I did a backup: I copied every single file even the hidden ones to a backup folder in my hard drive. Then via Windows Search tool I gathered all mp3 files and deleted them. Then when I started Winamp again, i still could see the few songs as if they were still already there. I remembered when you leave an item on the list even if it's not physically in the iPod anymore, and you try to reload it, you mess it and it's not playable anymore until you delete the file from Winamp, disconnect and reconnect the iPod and reload it. So to avoid that long step I simply "removed" those files (only removed them from the list, as they were not actually in the iPod anymore).
Then I simply reloaded the files from the backup again and... voilà!!!! Everything is just as when I started. Except from a few files here and there which are untagged, but it's OK, I can manually tag them again. That's a minimum issue compared to what it could have been.
Just an advise for the developers (yes, it's easy to ask, but not that easy to do I know) it'd be great if you could include some option on next ml_ipod versions that give you the choice to re-select your iPod model, and that option would only need to (for safety backup first ml_xxxx.ini files) delete those two ml_xxx and the pmp_xxx files and ask you to reconnect the iPod. That simple pre-programmed step would avoid these headaches, don't you think?
But again, thank you soooo much for your help, I learned new things now (it's great to learn from errors) and of course, my most sincere congratulations for your developing work. I'm just starting programming but maybe in the future I can collaborate with your projects.
As soon as I get my paypal account I'll start donating for this project. I hate iTunes. You're the best!!!
yaguarete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2010, 15:39   #16
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
just looked and it's a #define to SetWindowLong(..) with the sdk i've got installed with my VC6 install. and GWLP_WNDPROC is identical as GWL_WNDPROC so the following should work:
PHP Code:
if(IsWindowUnicode(plugin.hwndWinampParent))

WinampProc = (WNDPROC)SetWindowLongW(plugin.hwndWinampParent,GWL_WNDPROC,(LONG)HookWinampWnd);
else

WinampProc = (WNDPROC)SetWindowLongA(plugin.hwndWinampParent,GWL_WNDPROC,(LONG)HookWinampWnd); 
-daz
for anyone affected by ??? or single characters in Winamp's taskbar icon whilst using ml_ipod then this will help out (*) -> http://nunzioweb.com/daz/unicodetaskbarfix/index.html

(*) as a build with the patch directly in it isn't likely to happen now i think + found that the ml_ipod preferences steal the focus from the preferences tree which isn't nice *shrugs*

-daz
Old 20th August 2010, 09:52   #17
robdog2004
Major Dude

to yag
since the developer has pretty in the top of the forum
i dont think there will be a next version since they pretty much gave up on trying to crack the new ipod security code (ones made within the last year and into the future)
unless someone gets into the inside of apple and can transfer the codes to us he wont be able to do anything

thanks rob

Old 13th December 2010, 13:18   #18
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

finally: DrO's patch is in the new build 3.10...

Old 4th March 2011, 15:20   #19
osmosis
Major Dude

Hmm would libgpod or libimobiledevice be helpful for newer iPod support?

Request: A little SmartView Query Language love.
osmosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2012, 03:53   #20
bitcore

Send a message via AIM to bitcore
It's sad to see this project go so stale as it is now.

This project is 10x better than the official pmp_ipod, in every respect, it would just need a little bugfix every once in a while to keep it up to date with the new winamp versions (transcoding is mostly broken, etc.)

Abu, thanks for all you've done so far with the project. I feel you with apple's business practices. The only reason I even have an i-device is for the integration into my car's stereo & steering wheel controls.

Is the project open to new maintainers? Can nullsoft adopt this codebase and maintain it as their official plugin?

Like music? Like milkdrop? You need a BLTC sandwich.
Better Living Through Chemicals. It's Pretty!
bitcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2012, 10:11   #21
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitcore View Post
Is the project open to new maintainers?
i would have thought so but there's generally no one doing plug-in development anymore and i don't remember seeing any interest from people to work on the plug-in for a long time now. i'm not even sure it's worth leaving this sub-forum active for posting anymore (i.e. set it to an archive) - has only been a handful of posts in the last 6months and even abu hasn't logged in to the forums for exactly a year (correct at the time of this reply).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitcore View Post
the project open to new maintainers? Can nullsoft adopt this codebase and maintain it as their official plugin?
i doubt it - the reason for the new ml_pmp/pmp_ipod setup was ml_ipod doesn't do all of the unicode and other things which were wanted for the integrated version. as such i don't see it ever being brought back in even though it started out as a nullsoft project which was then taken on by Will who then worked on the ml_pmp/pmp_* plug-ins.

-daz
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp iPod Plugin Discussion