Old 22nd February 2006, 18:14   #1
Globalist

Radio Stations.

Ever sinse the new interface was implimented in Winamp, it doesn't retrieve the D'N'B radio stations it did in the past. I'm forced to use an earlier version from Download.com (5.13) that indeed retirves them.

Why is this? and can it be corrected?.

Thanks.
Globalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2006, 22:29   #2
Globalist

This is a serious issue. I NEED my D'N'B radio stations retrieved.

Old 23rd February 2006, 22:48   #3
CraigF
Passionately Apathetic
Administrator

try looking them up at shoutcast.com, then try bookmarking the stream. then you can always listen to them without hunting in the media library. I have all my favourite streams bookmarked.

CraigF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2006, 00:28   #4
Globalist

Thank you for the responce. Appreciated.

Let's hope there'll be something done about this in later builds/versions.

Old 24th February 2006, 02:19   #5
spleef420

Send a message via AIM to spleef420 Send a message via Yahoo to spleef420
I think they're now listed under "Jungle", I can see 25 streams including drumnbass TV and digitally imported (these used to be under "Drum" in the previous 5.13 version).
spleef420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2006, 02:25   #6
MXGzX

Guys, this new shoutcast system in winamp is...horrible! We liked it the old way!
MXGzX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2006, 03:20   #7
Globalist

Quote:
Originally posted by spleef420
I think they're now listed under "Jungle", I can see 25 streams including drumnbass TV and digitally imported (these used to be under "Drum" in the previous 5.13 version).
Indeed. But contradictory to that genre, it isn't actually Jungle (Jungle is a genre of music that dates pre-97. What followed that type of style is now known to be called ''Drum and Bass'' which has more tempo.) and the D'N'B stations indeed aren't listed in the D'N'B section.

Quote:
Originally posted by MXGzX
Guys, this new shoutcast system in winamp is...horrible! We liked it the old way!
Indeed!

Old 24th February 2006, 08:55   #8
Lord Darius

great, when i look for genre 'metal', no result, when i look for genre 'rock', no result... i'm gonna love this new version ...
Lord Darius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2006, 09:14   #9
Armada

Internet Radio playlist???

It sucks!!!! that they kicked out the Streaming Media/Internet Radio in WinMAp 5.2, so I can't find my Internet playlist.

The solution is even worse....

So guys implement this option again in the next version.
Till then I stick to the older version, despite the weaknes of it.
Armada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2006, 16:45   #10
spleef420

Quote:
Originally posted by Globalist
Indeed. But contradictory to that genre, it isn't actually Jungle (Jungle is a genre of music that dates pre-97. What followed that type of style is now known to be called ''Drum and Bass'' which has more tempo.) and the D'N'B stations indeed aren't listed in the D'N'B section.
"Jungle" IS drum n bass. The lines between the two have been blurred. the Digitally Imported and drumnbassTV stations used to be listed under "drum" in the previous shoutcast window, they are now under "jungle" with 23 other channels. There's actually more dnb stations now than there were before. At least give the "jungle" stations a look, you'll find what you're looking for.

FYI...jungle and DnB use the same beat patterns and basslines, the only big difference between the two is that jungle is mostly hip-hop based while DnB tends to be more of its own style. They are still the same thing though. DnB DJs are called "Junglists".
Old 24th February 2006, 18:21   #11
Globalist

Quote:
"Jungle" IS drum n bass. The lines between the two have been blurred.
No, Jungle is Jungle and Drum and Bass is Drum and bass. It's quite simply two different genre's of music. Would you associate Metal to be Rock? or House ot be Trance?. Both have same tempo's, but clearly have different styles.

Quote:
the Digitally Imported and drumnbassTV stations used to be listed under "drum" in the previous shoutcast window, they are now under "jungle" with 23 other channels. There's actually more dnb stations now than there were before. At least give the "jungle" stations a look, you'll find what you're looking for.
I already know that. And still I emphasize that Drum and Bass isn't Jungle, therefore shoulnd't be listed under ''Jungle''.

Quote:
FYI...jungle and DnB use the same beat patterns and basslines, the only big difference between the two is that jungle is mostly hip-hop based while DnB tends to be more of its own style. They are still the same thing though. DnB DJs are called "Junglists".
Jungle is Jungle!. Drum And Bass is Drum And Bass. Drum and Bass followed Jungle post-97 with higher tempos and more advanced synths. They CLEARLY are different genre's. Again, just because BreakBeat and Ambeint/Downtmepo have the same beat patterns/styles mean they're the same?.

As for ''D'N'B DJ's are called ''Junglists'' that's purely an issue of nicknames and carrying on the Jungle mentality of where todays Drum and bass comes from.

Old 24th February 2006, 18:40   #12
spleef420

Drum n Bass is the main genre...jungle is just one sub-genre of DnB. There's also darkstep, techstep, Aphrodite (he's impossible to classify to any specific sub so he gets his own) and quite literally hundreds of sub-genres of the main drum n bass genre. It's better to have them all listed under either jungle or drum n bass as opposed to having to dig for hours to find the stations.

There's a huge difference (IMO) between metal (Atreyu, Avenged Sevenfold, Locust) and rock (AC/DC to Zeppelin and everyone in between). It's easy to tell the difference between trance, house and hardcore as well as the difference between heavy metal and "rock". Not so much with DnB and its many sub-genres. Sure, the styles of Stakka & Skynet, Technical Itch, Roni Size and Mickey Finn are worlds apart but they're part of the same genre.

*edit* My guess as to why jungle and DnB are listed in the same genre is that the differences between them are so minor when compared to the differences between metal and rock. I can tell the difference sound wise between Roni Size and Digital Nation, but structurally they're the same.

Last edited by spleef420; 24th February 2006 at 19:02.
Old 24th February 2006, 19:13   #13
Globalist

Quote:
Drum n Bass is the main genre...jungle is just one sub-genre of DnB. There's also darkstep, techstep, Aphrodite (he's impossible to classify to any specific sub so he gets his own) and quite literally hundreds of sub-genres of the main drum n bass genre.
Your being rather ocntradcitory. i.e it's not genre's, it's styles that are different. So called, ''Liquid funk'', is still D'N'B but it's style is somewhat 'uplifting, 'soulful'. It CERTAINLY doens't mean that it's some form of ''sub-genre''. Just quite simply a different STYLE.

Quote:
There's a huge difference (IMO) between metal (Atreyu, Avenged Sevenfold, Locust) and rock (AC/DC to Zeppelin and everyone in between). It's easy to tell the difference between trance, house and hardcore as well as the difference between heavy metal and "rock". Not so much with DnB and its many sub-genres. Sure, the styles of Stakka & Skynet, Technical Itch, Roni Size and Mickey Finn are worlds apart but they're part of the same genre.
Your totally contradicting what exactly is a genre. i.e you fail to back up your theory of so called ''sub-genre's'' to class metal to be a sub genre of rock!. (Which you could and can class it as.)

J Majik = Drum and bass (reguardless of style)

DJ SS = drum and bass (reguardless of style)

Photek = Jungle (they clealry are still around, but their work is obviously drum and bass and pre-97 was indeed Jungle.)

You fail to see what exactly Jungle is. It isn't something you can ''round-off'' just becasue it can sound the same as Drum and Bass as of today. NOTICE how you don't actually agree that metal and rock being sub genre's of each other?

Old 24th February 2006, 19:31   #14
spleef420

the point you're missing here is that with only 25-30 DnB/jungle stations it's a bit moronic (for lack of a better term) to have genres listed for DnB, jungle, darkstep and others. Having them all listed under jungle OR DnB is fine as it's easier to find the channels.

With the previous shoutcast layout they were listed separately which made for a bit of a P.I.T.A. in finding one particular station. Consolidating them into one genre tab allows me to find all of the DnB/jungle stations without digging.

there's easily 1000+ metal stations and likely the same amount or more rock stations so separating them is fine, but having one tab for jungle, one for DnB, one for dark, one for tech and so on when there's so few stations doesn't make sense.

and no, I don't wear a tinfoil hat...it's at the cleaners

Old 24th February 2006, 21:14   #15
Globalist

Like I have emphasized, it's irellevant of styles. i.e dark, soulful ect. It's still D'N'B, reguardless of styles. So if a station indeed plays 'dark' and soulful' it's still D'N'B. There's no disputing that. Clearly. Again, if the Station played just 'dark', it would still be D'N'B. Reguardless. NOW, if the station actually played Jungle, (YES, Jungle) then it technically should be under Jungle.

In ealry days of looking for stations I came across Live365 and they have indeed a Jungle section. And guess what? it plays Jungle! and nothing but Jungle. You know, that genre of music that doesn't actually exist anymore due to being all of it existing between 90-97.

Still, there is a D'N'B section in Winamp and still isn't used. IF IT'S NOT GOING TO BE USED, WHY PUT IT THERE?. You'll find that's mornic and indeed ironic.

Again, Jungle isn't made anymore. Listen to what Jungle actually is.

You'll find that D'N'B followed on after Jungle with more tempo and more synths and programmable sounds....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drum_an..._drum_and_bass
Old 24th February 2006, 21:34   #16
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Quote:
Originally posted by Globalist
Ever sinse the new interface was implimented in Winamp, it doesn't retrieve the D'N'B radio stations it did in the past.
Fixed :-)

Genres: Drum | Jungle
Search: dnb | drum & bass | drum n bass
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2006, 21:34   #17
spleef420

so you'd much rather have a separate genre listing for each different style of DnB even though there's only 25 stations? Going by this logic there'd have to be 25+ genre listings, one for each station. It's easier to just click "J", click "Jungle" and there you have it, all 25 DnB/jungle stations right in front of you.

*edit* apparently Winamp wasn't picking up all of the DnB/Jungle stations...there's 150+ now. With that many stations having separate tabs works, but not with the miniscule amount I saw last night.

-slinks away, ashamed at his idiocy-

Last edited by spleef420; 24th February 2006 at 22:40.
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion