Old 12th September 2009, 23:00   #1
comatzd

Nano 5G?

Anyone got the new Nano 5G to work with ml_ipod yet?

I've been trying different settings, but it seems as thou the database isn't written correctly and the Nano doesn't recognize that there is music available.
comatzd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2009, 02:34   #2
Stupifier
Major Dude

This is incredible. Apple is releasing new iPod's like every 6 months now it seems......each time with new database protection schemes. They are really trying to fight non-iTunes users.
Stupifier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2009, 20:23   #3
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

Maybe it's the same they did with iPhone OS 3.0, that only a compressed and encrypted version of the database is used on the device? Then -maybe- the same workaround might help?
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....07#post2534007

WinAmp Pro 5.5 with ml_iPod 3.10 + dev.patches (download it)
ml_iPod documentation Wiki - ml_iPod FAQ - search ml_iPod forum - iPhone/iTouch - Found a bug?
Donations to support the ml_iPod project can be done HERE
abu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2009, 15:36   #4
stevem

Has anyone been able to get ml_ipod working with the Nano 5G? Winamp shows the playlists, albums, etc as copied to my iPod, but after ejecting it the iPod shows "No music". Winamp still shows the same playlists, etc after reconnecting the iPod.
stevem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2009, 16:24   #5
comatzd

Still no go AFAIK.
Old 12th January 2010, 00:55   #6
SyntaxGS

Quote:
Originally posted by Stupifier
This is incredible. Apple is releasing new iPod's like every 6 months now it seems......each time with new database protection schemes. They are really trying to fight non-iTunes users.
Yeah really.. what a pain. :P

As far as getting the Nano 5G to work with ml_iPod.. I've had no luck in finding workarounds.

80GB iPod (5.5G) // Latest Winamp // Latest ml_iPod
SyntaxGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2010, 14:12   #7
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

I had a nano 5G for some days from a friend, and tried to patch ml_ipod for it. Finally, I gave up. Some research showed that it's not only the use of the compressed iTunesCDB format as on the iPhone now, they also need some hashed sqlite databases on the device now which was not necessary before. Adding this capability to ml_iPod would be a major project, costing several days of development. We would need to add two external libs (zlib and sqlite) and add a whole bunch of new code to ml_ipod itself.

Personally, I can't do that, simply because of the time it takes.

As a result, we have to admit: No nano 5G support with ml_iPod!
Apple won We have to use iTunes for the nano in the future. Too bad.

ml_iPod documentation Wiki - ml_iPod FAQ - search ml_iPod forum - iPhone/iTouch - Found a bug?
Old 21st January 2010, 03:35   #8
ThirdProject

I usually use winamp to manage my old ipod, got a new Nano5th gen today and it didn't work. I googled it and found this thread. Same deal as you, I can fill it up but no luck playing it. So when someone posted that there's no work around I gave up and installed Itunes. Plugging the nano into itunes, it recognised everything I had uploaded onto it with winamp, a quick eject and the nano was running the way I had intended, with Winamp's management.

Tell me if this works for anyone else. Just manage it with winamp however you want, and when you're done, open it with itunes and eject it. (Don't bother with a Bonjour-free patched Itunes install with quicktime alternative, that won't work)
When you unplug the nano, it should work. Did for me anyway.
ThirdProject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2010, 11:35   #9
comatzd

Abu, Thanks for taking a look at it even though you had said you were done with updates and support, I certainly appreciate what you've done.

As far as loading with winamp, then using itunes to regen the dbase; this has not worked for me at all. itunes seems to recognize that there is music there, but it wouldn't regen the dbase when I eject.

Danno
Old 21st January 2010, 13:51   #10
SyntaxGS

Quote:
Originally posted by abu
As a result, we have to admit: No nano 5G support with ml_iPod!
Apple won We have to use iTunes for the nano in the future. Too bad.
Solution: Don't buy new Apple products. I have no problem sticking with older models to avoid iTunes.

80GB iPod (5.5G) // Latest Winamp // Latest ml_iPod
SyntaxGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2010, 18:52   #11
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

Quote:
Originally posted by SyntaxGS
Solution: Don't buy new Apple products. I have no problem sticking with older models to avoid iTunes.
And: Don't upgrade the firmware as long as it runs. Might be that they add these new "features" for the older iPod models with a firmware update...

Old 22nd January 2010, 19:24   #12
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

Quote:
Originally posted by ThirdProject
I usually use winamp to manage my old ipod, got a new Nano5th gen today and it didn't work. I googled it and found this thread. Same deal as you, I can fill it up but no luck playing it. So when someone posted that there's no work around I gave up and installed Itunes. Plugging the nano into itunes, it recognised everything I had uploaded onto it with winamp, a quick eject and the nano was running the way I had intended, with Winamp's management.

Tell me if this works for anyone else. Just manage it with winamp however you want, and when you're done, open it with itunes and eject it. (Don't bother with a Bonjour-free patched Itunes install with quicktime alternative, that won't work)
When you unplug the nano, it should work. Did for me anyway.
Yes, indeed, that worked with the nano of my friend, too. Maybe it's necessary o remove the iTunesCDB file after updating the nano with Winamp, before connecting to iTunes? I don't have it any more, but that could be the reason that it worked for you and not for comatzd...?

Old 22nd January 2010, 20:46   #13
comatzd

Deleting the dbase on the ipod is something I didn't try. That might work, then itunes might just put a new one in after scanning.
Old 23rd January 2010, 17:43   #14
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

I guess the algorithm in iTunes is like this:
If there is a (compressed) iTunesCDB, read that and ignore the iTunesDB, if present. If there is no iTunesCDB, but there is a (uncompressed) iTunesDB, read that.
When writing the new database, always create a compressed iTunesCDB and no iTunesDB.
Can anybody confirm that?

Old 9th March 2010, 23:04   #15
scarlet-rain

I would confirm that for you as I have a 5G nano, except Winamp won't even recognise my iPod. I just reformatted it, and chose 'iPod nano' from the list of iPods (maybe I should have chose 'other'?). I also enabled disk use and disabled the opening of iTunes whenever the iPod is connected.
scarlet-rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2010, 12:48   #16
Slurpy

Tried the file delete, connnected it to iTunes and the iPod was restored to factory settings. All the files I had uploaded from Winamp were deleted.

Next Suggestion???
Slurpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2010, 20:16   #17
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

No, I think you have to stick with iTunes then.
Nobody seems to have the time or motivation to add support for the newer Apple toys to ml_iPod.
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....hreadid=307222

Old 11th April 2010, 20:52   #18
thehodapp

Unhappy not cool

I'm not gonna lie. I'm pretty sad about this cause my girlfriend just bought me a ipod nano 5g and I love Winamp but it looks like the developing for it has given up for the time being...

foobar2000 looks like it has support for it so I may be switching.....
thehodapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2010, 04:00   #19
Svperstar

So what I was doing is using Winamp to load my music, then going into Foobar and hitting "rebuild database"

That worked just fine because I got the IMO much nicer Winamp user interface but could still rebuild the database with Foobar.

However today I get home from work and when I plug in my Ipod it says "your ipod is not supported" which is weird since I have been using Winamp with my new iPod Nano 16g for the last week with no problems.
Svperstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2010, 18:41   #20
popcan

Winamp ml_ipod tips for 5G Nano

If you really prefer using WINAMP to manage your iPOD5G Nano, like I do you can follow these steps for some limited ability to manage files.

You will need both WiNAMP and ITunes for this to work:

Setup:
1) Install WiNAMP
2) Install ml_ipod (external plugin) version 3.08 or earlier (later versions will not even mount the 5G Ipod Nano)
2) Install ITunes

Managing files with Winamp
1) Do not open Itunes yet. Have it installed but not open
2) Open Winamp
3) Connect Ipod to USB (Winamp ml_pod should detect it.. you will not see any songs)
An iPOD icon should appear in Winamp under Devices
4) Winamp: rightclick on iPod icon select: Ipod Tools -> Full database cleanup (part 1-3)
This will scan the ipod and find media already installed on it. If you don't do this the ipod will apear blank.. and you cannot remove / edit existing files

5) Add music using Winamp: From your music library slect music and send to IPOD.
6) Winamp: Eject Ipod, disconnect iPOD USB
7) Close Winamp
8) Plugin Ipod to USB
9) Open File (My Computer) manager and go to I:\iPod_Control\iTunes (I: is my Ipod drive)
10) Remove the file iTunesCDB from this directory (I usually move the file to my desktop so I can restore it if needed)
11) Eject Ipod device (disconnect USB)
12) Start ITunes (tm)
13) Plugin Ipod..
14) Itunes should detect the iPod and rebuild the file index
15) Good Luck
16) If your iTunes complains that your IPod has to be reinitialized.. don't panic.. close itunes and go put back the iTunesCDB file which you backed up on your desktop.

Hope this helps. this is the process I use for getting music onto my Ipod 5G nano

P.S. If you cannot see your Ipod as a drive letter, in Itunes click on your Ipod device and check "Manually Manage Music and Videos" which also automatically cheks off "Enable Disk Use"

P.P.S. If you cannot view the I:\Ipod Control folder, it is a hidden folder so enable "view hidden folders" in you file manager (my computer)
popcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2010, 09:47   #21
anss123

Thanks popcan, I finally got the damn thing to play some music. All that trouble and quality isn't any better than by el-cheepo. Sigh.
anss123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2010, 19:25   #22
fixpod

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyntaxGS View Post
i think it depends on experience my experience is quite great with apple , so....
fixpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2010, 12:50   #23
Bilbo9955

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixpod View Post
i think it depends on experience my experience is quite great with apple , so....
Than why are you in this forum?
Bilbo9955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2010, 05:15   #24
trh222

hello,
I have the same problem. So, Abu or anyone else who would be kind enough to lend a hand...
at the risk of being scorned with this post, let me say that I have been a winamp faithful for many years. I have an new nano 5G, which obviously can't be used with winamp. I intend to keep using winamp and ml_ipod for my old ipod, but can you guys help out with instructions on how to get playlists, and other metadata from winamp back to itunes for those of us using newer version ipods which are not yet compatable with winamp. I don't want to lose this data if possible. I figure some one like Abu, or other senior members who knows both these programs well could help? I tried the export function in winamp and to import it into itunes but it does not seem to reconstruct any of the playcounts? not sure what to do, so any help would be appreciated.
Again, I know you guys don't like itunes questions here on this forum but I think it is appropriate in this setting for those of us who have been loyal to winamp ( and will continue to be) who can not use the new 5G ipods.
thanks,
Tim
trh222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2010, 18:01   #25
square pegger

Thumbs up popcan's advice works for me

Elect popcan King of the Universe!

I didn't do enough research before buying a nano 5g or else I would have snagged a new unused 4g I knew about.

This is my first Apple device and I already hate iTunes! I was really hoping to delete iTunes as soon as I registered my nano 5g and checked for firmware updates.

Before I bought the 5g I looked over the stuff about using Winamp with iPods. When I saw that Winamp didn't recognize my new nano, I was p|ssed. I first tried ml_ipod v3.09 and of course it didn't let me do anything.

Then I found this discussion. Woo-hoo! I don't even open iTunes; I can add or delete songs just with Winamp and ml_ipod ver. 3.08. Too bad you have to leave iTunes installed at all. Or do you?

Thank you, thank you, thank you popcan! You rock and should rule!
square pegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2011, 07:33   #26
c1a6z

:(

This didn't work for me at all and I really want to use Winamp for my iPod not iTunes
c1a6z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2011, 01:19   #27
batkinson001

okay now that the new ipods are out, why doesn't the 5g work in winamp yet? I want to get rid of itunes!
batkinson001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2011, 01:24   #28
CanadianMetalFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by batkinson001 View Post
okay now that the new ipods are out, why doesn't the 5g work in winamp yet? I want to get rid of itunes!
sorry guys, that was me, logged into my old account by mistake
CanadianMetalFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2011, 02:36   #29
Tim Heller

Yeah I've been forced into Foobar too. The problem I have though is why can't WINAMP develop a working model for Nano 5th? Seems Foobar gets around the apple nonsense very well.
The excuses I've seen here seem pretty feeble when they take my cash for a subscription but say oopsie we can't manage that. C'mon guys it's been well over a Year now already!
Tim Heller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2011, 12:13   #30
DrO

the foobar plug-in re-uses dlls which Winamp cannot legally use / re-distribute - if you don't like that reason then so be it but that is one of the biggest reasons for not supporting a number of the newer versions.

also i've a feeling you're mixing up the 3rd party ml_ipod (which this sub-forum is for) and pmp_ipod (which is the official plug-in) as both are in a similarly 'crippled' state with support for newer versions, even more so for ml_ipod as it's no longer being developed.

no idea what 'subscription' you're referring to since at least for the Winamp Pro license, that has _nothing_ to do with funding iPod support - if you've made a ml_ipod donation then that is something for you to sort out / request back if you're not happy with an undeveloped plug-in, etc.

then again, if foobar or any other player better suits your needs then you should be using that rather than trying to compromise and not be happy.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp iPod Plugin Discussion