Old 16th May 2011, 14:46   #1
gavin2812

Virtual sound driver for Virtual Windows Server 2008 R2

Hi all,

I have quite an urgent problem (dont we all!!). I have a virtual Windows Server 2008 R2 (Standard) server which I was hoping to stream from and thought I had pretty much everything covered as I had tested a virtual sound card on another machine and was led to beleive that it would work on Windows Server 2008 but it didnt.

This is now a showstopper for me.

I have made it work by enabling the RDP remote audio, which means it works when there is a RDP connection (the driver appears during the RDP connection, but dissappears when you log ogg), but this is obviously not acceptable.

Anyone had a similar experience and can help?

Thanks in advance
gavin2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2011, 15:25   #2
dotme

Using Winamp? Search for the Null Output DSP - that should take care of the lack-of-soundcard issue on the remote server.
dotme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2011, 16:21   #3
thinktink
Forum King

Send a message via Skype™ to thinktink
There is also Virtual Audio Cable(not free) which will allow you to reroute the audio from Winamp basically any way you like.
thinktink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2011, 17:57   #4
gavin2812

Hi both,

Dotme, yes, for streaming, yes, but I also need the playout software working, so I still need a virtual card/device... I installed the Null DSP for Winamp and it works absolutely great. Many thanks,

ThinkTink, thanks for the suggestion. I am trying that now. It installed it OK, but it hasnt displayed the sound cards...

Are there any other ones that I can try out?

Thanks.
Old 16th May 2011, 18:13   #5
thinktink
Forum King

VAC is not showing any new soundcards? Odd. Did you set some cables in the VAC control panel?
Old 16th May 2011, 18:55   #6
gavin2812

Hi Thinktink,

Appreciate your help.

I can see 'Virtual Audio Cable' in device manager, but nothing in any software, ie, no drivers.

I have set up some cables in the control panle, but im not sure if I have done it correctly...

have you succesfully done this? Is there anything I need to look out for?

Thanks again.
Old 16th May 2011, 22:38   #7
thinktink
Forum King

Beyond me. Sorry, I've never had a problem using VAC although it could be an incompatibility with the virtualized Win2008 platform. Send an e-mail to the VAC creators and ask about 2008.
Old 17th May 2011, 05:27   #8
gavin2812

Hi, thanks for your input, already emailed them, will see what comes back. thanks again.
Old 17th May 2011, 17:53   #9
hackerdork
Forum King

i'm surprised that no one suggested sc_trans on the virtual machine which could play any mp3 files to the shoutcast DNAs (sc_serv). Totally automated too, no sound card hardware needed either, no winamp or gui for that matter, unless there are issues with sc_tran on Windows 2008???

hist:
For two years I supported a group that had winamp running a windows server with both SAM broadcaster and winamp (using the null out), which also ran multiple sc_serv processes . This was before sc_trans2 . When beta drop 2 was release i switched the server to sc_trans. no issues with either solution without a soundcard even installed.

Best of luck.

~ According to the ship's log we're down to our last 3000 vomit bags.It'll never be enough.
search the forums! don't PM me on how-to, or ask me to setup you system. you do it so you learn.
hackerdork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2011, 16:21   #10
messworld

This might be a dead topic. The only way I have ever got VAC to work lets say in Windows Server 2003 -32 bit was to use LogMeIn Free to utilize the audio without RDP. It's free to sign up and definitely give a shot and let me know what happens. I am in process to upgrade my server to Win2K8 -32 bit, but may try 64-bit or 64-bit R2.
messworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > SHOUTcast > SHOUTcast Technical Support