Old 16th September 2005, 03:13   #1
LuigiHann
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to LuigiHann
Nintendo Revolution Controller Revealed!

See the image
Read the article here
One-handed controller.
Tecmo had better make Dead or Alive games for this system.

Who is the milkman? What is the purpose of the goggles?
LuigiHann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2005, 03:34   #2
sgtfuzzbubble011

Sounds kick-ass.

(Thread moved from Breaking News to Games Center)
sgtfuzzbubble011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2005, 03:57   #3
xenosomething
Major Dude

not just one-handed--turn it sideways and its a nes controller, also has ports for GC controller.

i know people are gonna look at the pics without reading so here are the "revolutionary" features:

--point at TV for movement(a laser-pointer version of the ds touchscreen. it can also understand back and foward movements so you can throw "punches" in boxing games)

--tilt sensitive(like steering controller for driving)

--detachable add-ons(this will let devs do anything they want with games)

.........?.
xenosomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2005, 05:17   #4
Omit Name
mostly harmless
Major Dude

video on page.
http://www.dagbladet.no/kultur/2005/09/16/443527.html

i dunno. i dont think ill have any problem loving it. however this isnt what nintendo needed. this idea is going to be so hard for new people to come up to. (new to nintendo, possible $ony[<--evil]converts) in some cases loyal nintendo kids will find it hard to tolerate and nintendo might of shaved off some fan boys. nintendo needed to be bad ass. people want others to think they have bad ass stuff. this new controller isnt bad ass its a bit nerdy. (right now as far as current fashion goes.) may the trend change in the coming days and may nintendo dominate! everyone is acting like nintendo doesnt deserve to be around any more (which is completly not true and close minded. im talking to you bought and payd for $ony fan boys.) and taking risks like this ... is pretty darn risky.

edit::::http://www.********/do/userFeedbackDe...700946&ct=NEWS

Omit Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2005, 05:32   #5
xenosomething
Major Dude

that video was awesome!! hadnt seen that one yet!

that sword fight near the end got me excited a bit.

after people see that on commercials for the rev i dont see how they can resist!

.........?.
Old 16th September 2005, 05:35   #6
LuigiHann
Forum King

I would rather a commercial that also shows what's on the screen.
I neeeeeeeeed to see what these games will be like.

Old 16th September 2005, 05:40   #7
Omit Name
mostly harmless
Major Dude

well it would be very very very... very stupid if the graphics werent at least a few steps better than the cube. and the cube stood on top of this generation of graphics. (save doom and chronicles of riddick on the box.) and if all the the stuff for 360 and ps3 doesnt look much better than current generation (when you look at it objectivly and honestly.) rev will be alright as far as it possibilities as a game thing.

btw same vid as above on ign. http://media.cube.ign.com/articles/6...34/vids_1.html

::edit:: i went to a few forums. gamespot was wut ill probably expect in most places. "-woo nintendo!!...- ha ha stupidest thing ever" (bickering fanboys) another seemd excited but worried. but i was most suprised at the response of the sony forums. which is actually mostly positive and optimistic. http://boardsus.playstation.com/play...cending&page=1

sarge!!!?!?!? save "bad ass" wut do you really think? wheres jones at?

Last edited by Omit Name; 16th September 2005 at 08:04.
Old 16th September 2005, 05:45   #8
LuigiHann
Forum King

I just mean I need to see how well the gameplay matches the movements, and how it's used, etc.
I think this is fair and funny

Old 16th September 2005, 06:00   #9
xenosomething
Major Dude

just like the ds we REALLY need to see a new wind waker.(those elderly people in the vid were even conducting too!)

.........?.
Old 16th September 2005, 08:23   #10
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Dumbest idea ever, Nintendo just consigned the console to the 'curiosity corner' already before it's even been released.

It's too radical too soon, people just won't want to break away from the comfort of a controller they are used to for that, apart from maybe those crazy Japs.

/orders xbox360
Mr Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2005, 10:35   #11
zootm
Forum King

That looks so cool.

Nintendo have realised for a while that they can't really compete with Sony and Microsoft in the "big" console market, and they've been moving to create interesting and original consoles which will appeal to people who just like playing games. Which is pretty admirable, and plays better to their strengths.

zootm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2005, 11:53   #12
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

meh
ElChevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2005, 13:56   #13
Mattress
Forum King

The problem I see with the controller is that the especially unique features really won't be utilized all that much.

Independent game developers (those making games for all three consoles) are not going to put the time into development specifically for the weird controller abilities.
Mattress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2005, 15:40   #14
zootm
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by Mattress
Independent game developers (those making games for all three consoles) are not going to put the time into development specifically for the weird controller abilities.
People making games for all consoles were already beginning to disregard Nintendo. They essentially had the choice to try and play "catch-up" with MS and Sony on the way their consoles are - which they are not well-suited to do - or do something off-the-wall and fun.

I think they made the right choice. Nintendo has traditionally done a lot of their development in-house anyway, so they have the freedom to be a little more original.

zootm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2005, 15:49   #15
LuigiHann
Forum King

Tycho from Penny Arcade:
Quote:
I don't have anything polite to say about the controller for the Nintendo Revolution. Watching the DS shift from something I furrow my brow at to something I take with me everywhere has bought them this courtesy.

Old 16th September 2005, 18:15   #16
Omit Name
mostly harmless
Major Dude

ive seen in at least one place the the thing will come with a retro, traditional, one peice, in hand add on. it will come with a shell that this controller will fit into that will let you play games just like you have for the last 10 years. (**heh now all other controllers have to be called retro.) not only that but the revolution, as mentioned on alot of these sights, will come with controller ports on the thing so u can use gamecube controllers in.

Old 16th September 2005, 21:17   #17
xenosomething
Major Dude

nintendo has the money to make a system just as or even more powerful graphically than ps3 or xbox360, but they CHOSE not to.

...nintendo supposedly makes more then all of sony combined(not just psx franchise)

and who said nintendo hasen't gone on all stops??!?! watch them pull a fast one and come out with some mega-powerhouse.

.........?.
Old 16th September 2005, 21:36   #18
PAK-9
Major Dude

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Its daring, I'll give you that. I have to confess its quite admirable that such a large company with so much to lose makes genuine efforts to be innovative and creative with their platforms. Will it work? Not so sure, I agree with Omit in that by catering to the market of 'everyone' they will inevitably push away hardcore gamers. Plus I question the logic of "its a remote control, therefore it is accessable", remote controls are notoriously overcomplicated, as opposed to game controllers which are for the most part entirely self explanatory (although in recent years I admit they have become more complicated).

I guess I would give it a thumbs up though, if only for the fact that they are trying something new. Heck, it cant be worse than the PS3's double ended silver dildo.

http://PAK-9.deviantart.com

...innit
PAK-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2005, 22:23   #19
Metaphor
Banned

sounds great!
Simply, this is... revolutionary, for lack of a better world. I can't believe how much the Big N thought out of the box, and how great it is that they did.
Metaphor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2005, 22:51   #20
Omit Name
mostly harmless
Major Dude

mr. iwata's speach (when the above video was orginially shown) settles my nerves abit. the translators accent is funny but it is long as hell. he implys that the retro traditional controller will indeed be a part of the revolution package. they should have had it ready for this. most people wont be arsed to look at nintendo again after writing it off right now. (i geuss they were making sure that the "revolution" got across but that is too ballzy if you ask me.)

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/09...flashtop_watch

click on the revolution now video thing its the whole speach. once again its rather long.

Old 17th September 2005, 20:44   #21
Omit Name
mostly harmless
Major Dude

first rev remote skin

ign thinks the retro standard multiplatform shell might look like this as seen in their understanding the revolution controller article. if it ends up looking like this people will associate it to the dreamcast. wouldnt it rule if the revo came out with support for dreamcast and maybe saturn and let you download old sega roms too.

Old 19th September 2005, 03:36   #22
sgtfuzzbubble011

Quote:
sarge!!!?!?!? save "bad ass" wut do you really think?
I think it's got amazing potential. The thought behind it is outstanding. I just hope people see it for what kinds of innovations are there instead of just sticking with the norm... like the Sony-only and MS-only users. Nintendo has always been innovative, and this is another step in that direction. I just hope it doesn't go the way of the Virtual Boy.

But with backwards compatibility with GameCube games and controllers, the Revolution itself will be a hit for sure. I just hope the new controller is a hit, too.
sgtfuzzbubble011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2005, 04:28   #23
xenosomething
Major Dude

why is everybody obsessed with the virtualboy?

its completely irrelevant to the times. nintendo is now totally different hardware/technology/market-wise, it has a different president and the VB creator is no longer alive(unfortunatly)

with the VB nintendo just expected everyone to buy it due to its strong market foothold....but now nintendo has to fight for everything and i think its safe to say N's new marketing look will sell it alone.

.........?.
Old 19th September 2005, 04:43   #24
LuigiHann
Forum King

Yeah, I don't know what the big deal is with Virtual Boy. Usually when Nintendo makes a dumb mistake, people just forget it ever existed.
But seriously, this Revolution control will be available at launch, shipped with the system, and be supported by all the system's games, so Nintendo's going to be backing it pretty strongly.
All they really need is
Great games (first, second, and third party)
Excellent commercials (they really, really have to make sure people "get it".)

Old 19th September 2005, 04:46   #25
Mattress
Forum King

I do like the fact that it has a power button on the controller. Appeals to the lazy side of me.
Old 19th September 2005, 05:04   #26
xenosomething
Major Dude

well i certainly "got it" with that teaser vid they had.

nintendos marketing has been excellent as of late. did anyone see that magazine ad they have where a ds is sitting on a couch watching a romantic movie and it says "its got a sensitive side"

.........?.
Old 19th September 2005, 06:33   #27
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Quote:
Originally posted by LuigiHann
just forget it ever existed.
I wouldn't call the link cable a mistake, I found it quite a useful add on, in fact I was only using mine yesterday to play Pacman Versus.

Have used it on several other games as well, Zelda to call up Tingle, Metroid to unlock bonus games, MoH to provide mapping facilities.

If you wanna talk about GC addon mistakes, then look no futher than the broadband adaptor, it really only had one decent use for it, and that wasn't legal
Old 19th September 2005, 14:39   #28
LuigiHann
Forum King

Maybe it's just me then, I bought it for Wind Waker, and haven't used it since.
I do like the idea that if they want to connect the Revolution to the DS, they're both wireless and on wi-fi, so nobody will have to buy anything extra.

Old 19th September 2005, 14:52   #29
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Knowing Nintendo, the Revo wireless will be some non standard POS like the DS wireless is, which will narrow down the audience even futher, while the revo and DS might talk to each other, I would lay money on them not talking to anyone else.

That annoys the hell out of me, they make the DS wireless, way ahead of Sony with the PSP, but then make the wireless a propriety Nintendo version instead of common protocols used by everyone else.

Meanwhile, everyone with a PSP is surfing the net, downloading demo's , running homebrew while serious DS fans are having to build passme keys to plug into the cart slot, hacking the firmware to upload homebrew via hacked wireless drivers, that only work with certain kinds of wlan cards, what a mess.

I was super excited at getting my DS, I dreamt of wireless net play, I had a wireless router ready to go, it was gonna be great, only to find once again some craptacular propriety format no one else uses, good going.
Old 19th September 2005, 16:22   #30
LuigiHann
Forum King

Yeah, the revolution uses the same sort of wireless as the DS, I'm fairly sure. But they did say that Super Smash Bros will be a launch title, and that it will be an online game, so at least the system will be online at launch.
Unlike the DS, which we're still waiting for online stuff. I look forward to Mario Kart, though.

Old 19th September 2005, 16:41   #31
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Let us hope and pray that the revo comes internet ready out of the box, let's hope even more that the DS can chat to the revo and by default to the internet, that might be the secret to getting the DS online quickly.

Lets hope anyhow.
Old 19th September 2005, 17:01   #32
xenosomething
Major Dude

who cares about surfing the net and using "homebrews"?? nintendos only fault is the amount of time they have taken with this. i dont see anything wrong with the format they chose.

once nintendo sets everything up you'll forget about surfing the net or playing nintendos older games for $250. nintendos multiplayer games and pictochat abilities are the spotlight of the service, nothing else. they just want to make it as easy as possible so even new online players can try.

the only problem is see is that advanced wars already came out without support for the service!

.........?.
Old 19th September 2005, 21:34   #33
mark
Forum King

the only thing keeping the DS off the internet is software.
mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2005, 04:05   #34
auhsor

Source
Quote:
News: DS Demos Will Be Downloaded Via Revolution!
Posted by Tphi - Sep 18th 2005 22:06

Is there nothing Nintendo's wonderous next-gen console can't do? Today we found out another piece of the Revolution puzzle...

Nintendo president Satoru Iwata has confirmed that the upcoming Revolution console will have the ability to download demos for the Nintendo DS... and then transfer them wirelessly onto your handheld!

More details are expected in October, when Iwata has promised the lid will be blown off the mysterious Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection, ahead of such launches as Mario Kart DS, Tony Hawks American Sk8land and Animal Crossing: Wild World - all of which support the online service.

We'll bring you more on this as it breaks.
auhsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2005, 11:34   #35
immortal

Send a message via ICQ to immortal Send a message via Yahoo to immortal
The controller looks great, the idea is great.. But I don't see it catching on with the Sony and MS fans. They hate Nintendo to start with.

I know Nintendo aren't going for that market but if they keep making thier own market smaller and smaller (because it will sooner or later) then they will run out of money and/or ideas. I love Nintendo to bits, I own almost ever console they have made so far, but this risk could prove to be a very bad one.. But then again, it could be the best move the company has ever made.

/pre-orders the revo

P.S. I hope pak-9 dosen't mind me quoting him in my sig.

Quote:
Originally posted by PAK-9
Heck, it cant be worse than the PS3's double ended silver dildo.
immortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2005, 11:51   #36
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Quote:
Originally posted by auhsor
More details are expected in October, when Iwata has promised the lid will be blown off the mysterious Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection, ahead of such launches as Mario Kart DS, Tony Hawks American Sk8land and Animal Crossing: Wild World - all of which support the online service.

See, now that almost makes sense of some of the ninteno mutterings about how they planned on making some great global network of DS multiplayer games, I always saw it as nintendo wifi hotspots in places like starbuck and the like, but having the revo net connected and then wifi'd to the DS would also work I guess.

Just hope they figure out the latency issues that no doubt come with it.

That's a plus one point for nintendo, now if they can just get decent 3rd party support on board for the revo, ensure there is a killer line up for launch, net services are ready for launch and not two years later and then figure out how to win over the sony and ms fanboys they might stand a chance of coming out of this next round of console wars intact.
Old 20th September 2005, 15:09   #37
LuigiHann
Forum King

The funny thing about Nintendo's strategy is that by making it inexpensive, small, and really different, I think their goal is for people who buy X360's and PS3's to buy a Revolution too, in addition to targeting people who don't normally play games. I think that's what they mean when they say they "aren't really competing with MS and Sony".

Old 20th September 2005, 15:19   #38
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Could be, you never know, I had similar feelings when I bought my cube, been a die hard Sony fan since ps1 days, I figured I could have the best of both worlds by having a ps2 and cube, sadly apart from GTA:SA I never gave my ps2 a second look from the day the cube came home with me....
Old 20th September 2005, 20:41   #39
mysterious_w
Forum King

I have to say, The Revolution is certaintly the most interesting of the new consoles, I mean, Xbox 360 looks pretty turd performance wise to be honest, and PS3 is just a step up.

This could well be a revolution.

mysterious_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2005, 21:02   #40
Mattress
Forum King

I'll probably end up buying a revolution just to get the next mario kart.

Nintendo does seem to have the market on plain old fun multiplayer games.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > Games Center