Old 18th February 2007, 15:57   #41
duntkno

can i install this over 5.31 or should i uninstall and then install 5.33?
duntkno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2007, 18:35   #42
TheUniqueTiger

Yes, you can but if anytime you want to revert back in future, backup the Media Library first (see first post in thread).
TheUniqueTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2007, 08:00   #43
jcdberkeley

I haven't tried this with a fresh install yet, but it seems as though there is no longer a tally of size (in GB) in the Media Library along with the number of items calculated, at the bottom of the window.

It says, instead, e.g. '425 items [1 day+15:42:39] in 2.562 sec.' and has no mention of file size on disk, which is of course very handy for portable devices and anything else that requires moving files around.

Should I try a clean install to test this, or is this an issue (or a feature) others have noticed as well?
jcdberkeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2007, 08:15   #44
kzuse

Send a message via ICQ to kzuse Send a message via Skype™ to kzuse
I have noticed it too, and I have also read it somewhere else here in the forums.

Seems as if they have removed the disk size display intentionally... ;-(

Best regards,
kzuse
kzuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2007, 08:26   #45
DrO

the point here about that (be it intentional or not) is why didn't people notice it when the beta was out?

with all of the ml local changes i think that this as being the only one i'm aware of being noticed is pretty damn good, heh. and i'm sure it'll be restored for 5.34 as stated before (on page 1 of this thread).

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2007, 12:16   #46
alexjoey

GB missing indeed

Hi, Yesterday I've noticed GB was missing in the 5.33, yesterday only, so not in the beta period.
But does the Winamp 5.33 Essential Pack tweaks it ? I've not taken it yet.

I'm saying that 5.33 on Windows 98se is working well (as 5.31) contrary to 5.32 which dumps even with the classic skin.. so good work, and no Unicode issue.

I wish you a good day .
alexjoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2007, 12:31   #47
DrO

the essentials pack has nothing to do with that part of the media library (the only interaction it has is with the treeview and that's only via the ml_lite-n plugin)

-daz
Old 19th February 2007, 14:14   #48
spacefish

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg
@ Desides
Re: Can't see file size...

Oops... yeah.

Should hopefully be fixed for 5.34. Sorry.
That's good to know! I've been totally frustrated trying to stuff my Zen Nano Plus without the file size (on albums, etc.). I was about to come in here and yell at you.
spacefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2007, 20:14   #49
Alpha2k6

Does anyone else have a proble using the minimize button with the new Winamp.. it simply does not work..

Have v5.33 and essentials pack installed on Windows XP Sp2. P4 2.6 Ghz, 1 Gb ram..

Edit: ok strange it didn't work just before I posted and the halfhour before.. but now it works fine again.
Alpha2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2007, 21:13   #50
Juanus
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to Juanus
Comments field truncated

A cool new feature of the ripping and burning support is that it fills in more tags than it used to, including the comment field. However, I noticed that on some of the long comment entries, it gets truncated. Is there a limit on the amount of information that can go in the comment field or is it coming truncated from CDDB?
An example is the Red Hot Chili Peppers – Stadium Arcadium album.

Thanks Guys.
Juanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2007, 01:26   #51
Desides

Quote:
@ Desides
You can use the Edit Selected Item(s) feature of the Media Library to edit those fields, and they will actually be written to the Vorbis Comment tags in the actual FLAC files.
It's just that the Nullsoft FLAC plugin is based on the reference FLAC plugin from sourceforge.net, and alas, the internal editor was/is pretty limited.
I expect us to eventually get a feature implemented similar to that of the in_vorbis editor where you can add/edit extra fields (eg. via: hide/show special fields / advanced mode).
I'm looking forward to that field editor, then, because I don't use the media library.

Also, since FLAC 1.1.4 is out, will 5.34's in_flac plugin be updated?
Desides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2007, 08:15   #52
DrO

Quote:
Originally posted by Desides
Also, since FLAC 1.1.4 is out, will 5.34's in_flac plugin be updated?
see this for the response on 1.1.4

-daz
Old 28th February 2007, 15:01   #53
kr4zy

Quote:
I edited the instructions in the first post to include a "backup" link.

But basically, for the ML, all you need to copy/backup are:

- Winamp\Plugins\gen_ml.ini
- Winamp\Plugins\ml folder

or for the local media database, specifically:

Winamp\Plugins\ml dir:
- main.dat
- main.idx
- recent.dat
- recent.idx

But yeah, it can't do any harm to backup the entire Winamp folder every now and then...

Note: the location of the files depends on whether you chose 'shared' or 'separate' user settings in the installer options.

For shared, the default location (unless you changed it) is:
C:\Program Files\Winamp\Plugins\...

For separate, the default location (under Win2k/XP) is:
C:\Documents and Settings\(username)\Application Data\Winamp\Plugins\...

Note that the 'Application Data' folder is hidden by default, but you should just be able to type this into the Address bar:

%appdata%\winamp

I backed up my ML/Plugins folder from 5.32, and now want to keep my playcount/ratings etc in media library in 5.33, but I can't find the files you said to backup in the 5.33 installdir, so there's nothing to overwrite, what am I doing wrong???
kr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2007, 05:46   #54
chimichanga15

Send a message via AIM to chimichanga15
Double counting in Media Library

I just downloaded the new version of Winamp tonight (5.33). I then added a couple songs to my music folder and rescanned the folder. Instead of saying that I had updated about 50 files (in the Recently Updated view), it said I had updated about 1200. I then looked at my full music library at it said I have about 1000 more songs than files I have in my music folder. I rescanned the folder and got the same results.

If in the music library I look at the (existing) artists that appear in my Recently Updated list, it appears that Winamp is double counting these files. They appear to be completely independent in the library too; i.e. the same file will have different Play Count and Played Last. I've looked through the list of files that's been double counted, and I don't see any similarities between them or any patterns that appear to be causing the problem.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is this something to do with the new unicode support? (By the way, I'm on Windows XP SP2, 1.25GB RAM, 2GHz processor.)
chimichanga15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2007, 06:58   #55
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

@ chimichanga15

See the entry in the Known Bugs thread, and follow the link to the Re-Indexer. Running that should fix the ml duplicates problem (First post in thread has also been updated accordingly).

@ kr4zy

Sorry, I don't quite understand...

Read the instructions again maybe?

The backup instructions are for (optionally) backing up the ml database files from a previous Winamp version that's already installed on your system (before installing 5.33) - incase you want to go back to said previous version (eg. 5.32 or earlier) after installing 5.33.
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2007, 11:21   #56
kr4zy

Quote:
@ chimichanga15

See the entry in the Known Bugs thread, and follow the link to the Re-Indexer. Running that should fix the ml duplicates problem (First post in thread has also been updated accordingly).

@ kr4zy

Sorry, I don't quite understand...

Read the instructions again maybe?

The backup instructions are for (optionally) backing up the ml database files from a previous Winamp version that's already installed on your system (before installing 5.33) - incase you want to go back to said previous version (eg. 5.32 or earlier) after installing 5.33.
So it's not possible to use the ratings/playcount etc from v5.32 in v5.33 ?
Old 2nd March 2007, 11:25   #57
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Yes. Just upgrade normally, and all ratings/playcounts/etc will be carried forward from 5.32 to 5.33, heh. It's just that 5.33 will convert the database into unicode format (though the filenames will stay the same: main.dat, recent.dat, etc) and therefore you won't be able to use them if you revert back to an older version (though in 99.9% of cases there should be no need to ever revert to an older version).
Old 3rd March 2007, 02:43   #58
Kiyouta

Why don't you just update the build on the website with the filesize thing in media library fixed?

When ml_playlists had that "Static" problem, every new installation of Winamp still had the issue, even though it was fixed in a updated ml_playlists plugin.

If you know about it, and it's as simple as replacing a single file, why not just include it in new downloads of the current 5.33, or whatever installer?
Kiyouta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2007, 03:06   #59
UltraZelda64

No "full" (non-emusic) installer? I'll pass. Looks like my switch of operating systems came at just the right time... though I hope this downward spiral Winamp is on reverses. With all the $$$ behind the scenes, somehow I doubt that would happen.
UltraZelda64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2007, 06:31   #60
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Downward spiral? What do you mean?
It's pretty simple to uncheck emusic in the installer options...
Old 3rd March 2007, 17:08   #61
cormano

i really really don't like the send-to playlist sub-menu. i have some specific playlists and i'm constantly sending songs to them (to keep track of what i've listened to for instance) and it seems pretty annoying now.

i mean, i just really made an account right now just so i can post this comment, and i'm not even a forum person on any other site.
cormano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2007, 17:19   #62
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

I have many media library playlists, and it's annoying when you must scroll to use the other send to features.

If you have just a few playlists it's ok, but if you've many playlists in the send to menu, it isn't usable without the submenu.

This is a fact, I guess most people like the new submenu.
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2007, 17:34   #63
cormano

i guess some people would like it, i mean i can understand the other send to functions, like bookmarks, cd burner, etc, but i hate that the playlists are in a sub-menu. i mean, i wish they could separate those and have like "send to" and "send to playlists," but i guess that's asking for too much.

i don't know, i'm so used to just right click/send to/and the playlists were all right there, and it was like that for such a long time and i thought that was perfect. i guess i'll have to get used to it, but for the record, i personally don't think that was much of an improvement.
cormano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2007, 14:53   #64
kr4zy

Quote:
Yes. Just upgrade normally, and all ratings/playcounts/etc will be carried forward from 5.32 to 5.33, heh. It's just that 5.33 will convert the database into unicode format (though the filenames will stay the same: main.dat, recent.dat, etc) and therefore you won't be able to use them if you revert back to an older version (though in 99.9% of cases there should be no need to ever revert to an older version).
Ok.

I tried this, however I don't have a previous install of winamp present as I recently did a fresh install + format of Windows Vista.
I tried installing 5.32 and then copying my /ml/ dir into /plugins/ dir like I usually did to get my old ratings, but I still got the old ones from my 5.33 install, although during installation I told it to use new settings, not current ones..

Cus I was thinking about getting my main.dat etc replaced in 5.32 then I could install 5.33 on top of that and things would be "back to normal", but I've yet to make this happen

Any ideas what I could be doing wrong?

The old /ml/ dir is a backup from a 5.32 winamp install I had before I formatted..
Old 4th March 2007, 15:13   #65
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Make sure you're copying the database backups to the userprofile folder
and not to C:\Program Files\Winamp\plugins\ml

Under Windows Vista it's something like:

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Winamp\plugins\ml

UserProfile dir for 'separate' settings, ProgramFiles folder for 'shared'.
Vista uses 'separate settings per user' by default.
Old 4th March 2007, 15:38   #66
kr4zy

Ah yes, it worked now, thanks alot for the help
Old 5th March 2007, 04:07   #67
Gilgamesh83

Yo!

Thanks for the excellent work as always!!!

But I have a question though. In 5.32 when opening my m3u which contains more than 6000 titles all in different formats, winamp didn't even take 2 seconds but now it seem as it takes a little longer to open up the same m3u. I thought that it was cause the m3u i had from 5.32 wasn't unicode compliant or something like that so I added all the files again creating an entirely new m3u but its the same. It's not like Im talking about a half a minute or something but it seem to search the harddrive a little longer before playing the first file, almost like it wants to verify the contents of the m3u before playing I don't know. Could this be a new feature or a bug?
Gilgamesh83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2007, 09:27   #68
kzuse

Send a message via ICQ to kzuse Send a message via Skype™ to kzuse
I have noticed this also, but I didn't pay too much attention to it. It isn't good, but it's not too bad also

I have a Media Library Playlist with c. 1000 titles, and with Winamp 5.32 double-clicking it immediately began playing the first track. With Winamp 5.33 I must wait around 1 second or so. Thats okay. If it has something to do with M3U integrity checks or unicode thing or so - leave it as it is now.

Okay, but if it's some silly error left in the code which just eats some unneccesary CPU time, then try to fix it ^^

But as I said it's not SUCH a drama to wait 1~2 seconds before the playlist starts.

Last edited by kzuse; 5th March 2007 at 11:29.
kzuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2007, 10:42   #69
Gilgamesh83

Good so it's not only me. I thought my maxtor hd might be getting old and about to break or something.
Old 5th March 2007, 13:07   #70
jph6t
Major Dude

Re: Send to sub-menu for ML Playlists

Quote:
Originally posted by Koopatrooper
I have many media library playlists, and it's annoying when you must scroll to use the other send to features.

If you have just a few playlists it's ok, but if you've many playlists in the send to menu, it isn't usable without the submenu.

This is a fact, I guess most people like the new submenu.
Ditto Koopatrooper. I have many ML Playlists, and thus like having the sub-menu.

But correct me if I'm wrong, the ability to avoid having ALL the ML Playlists in the "Send to" menu has been there for a few releases. Only it wasn't a true sub-menu before, but rather a drop-down. Anyway, the option in Preferences controlled this behavior. An option I now notice seems to do nothing. Is this option supposed to do something? If not, can it be removed?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg send to screen shot.jpg (43.6 KB, 372 views)
jph6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2007, 16:48   #71
Gilgamesh83

cpu spike

Yo!

I checked the taskmanager at the same time i was opening the m3u and did this 5 times to be sure and every time there was a cpu spike between 90%-98% for 1-2 seconds when opening the m3u.

Might be normal I don't know...

Is it normal?
Old 5th March 2007, 17:05   #72
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

jph6t: when you uncheck this option, the "Media Library Playlists" send to submenu isn't shown, then you can just add songs to a new ml playlists and not to a specific ml playlist.

I guess best would be to remove this option, heh.

Option enabled:

Option disabled:

Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2007, 17:28   #73
jph6t
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by Koopatrooper
jph6t: when you uncheck this option, the "Media Library Playlists" send to submenu isn't shown, then you can just add songs to a new ml playlists and not to a specific ml playlist.

I guess best would be to remove this option, heh.
Yes, I see the difference checked/unchecked now. Thanks Koopa.

Unchecked displays the seperate drop-down window I described above.
If I click the drop-down I CAN select a specific ML Playlist.

So no need to remove the option I guess ... as it does DO something.
Old 5th March 2007, 17:44   #74
Benski
Ben Allison
Former Winamp Developer

Quote:
Originally posted by jph6t
Yes, I see the difference checked/unchecked now. Thanks Koopa.

Unchecked displays the seperate drop-down window I described above.
If I click the drop-down I CAN select a specific ML Playlist.

So no need to remove the option I guess ... as it does DO something.
It's good if you have SO MANY playlists that the sub-menu is still overly huge
Benski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2007, 18:20   #75
jph6t
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by Benski
It's good if you have SO MANY playlists that the sub-menu is still overly huge
Oh yeah, the best possible thing would be if this option could be leveraged to
provide the choice of putting the ML Playlist in the actual "Send to" menu (as it was
in days of old) or moving the ML Playlists to a true sub-menu (as it is in v5.33)
... and thus eliminating the drop-down window alternative
(which is kinda useless when one has the true sub-menu alternative).

But I imagine this would take additional development.
So making this change is up to you Benski.
Old 14th March 2007, 14:38   #76
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

<------------------------------- CUT HERE ---------------------------------->

Winamp 5.34 Beta release now available
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion