Old 23rd July 2009, 03:16   #1
ZepDad

Cover art on Pioneer AVIC deck

First time poster. I've made the switch to ml_ipod from pmp_ipod. Love the extra features, particularly the Advanced Titling features. It's perfect for how I have my songs organized.

Sadly I've run across a bug that's cropped up on iPod Classics used with certain Pioneer decks. After restoring and resynching with ml_ipod, embedded cover art is not displayed on my Pioneer AVIC (F series) deck. I'm using a 120GB Ipod Classic. The art is fine on the ipod itself, including cover flow.

I should point out that an important reason I (and many others) made the switch from Media Monkey to Winamp is because of the "Pioneer" bug. MM does not display cover art on the AVIC's either. However, pmp_ipod displays the artwork fine. ml_ipod does not.

The MM bug seems to effect Classic 6G ipods only. Other MM and AVIC users report that the nano is fine for instance. Since I only own one ipod I can't test if this is true with Winamp and ml_ipod.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
ZepDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2009, 22:01   #2
ZepDad

Any thoughts or feedback? Maybe if I simplify the question:

What is the difference between how ml_ipod and pmp_ipod handles the ipod cover art database?

There is clearly a minor difference, maybe only in the 6G Classics, that manifests with Pioneer decks. Using itunes and pmp_ipod the art displays fine. Using ml_ipod and Media Monkey the art doesn't display.

Alas, the Media Monkey developers haven't figured out the problem either.
Old 7th August 2009, 02:48   #3
soullesssoldier

I had the same problem with my AVIC and 120gb iPod and it took me a long time to figure this out.

The solution:

1. Format iPod completely in Itunes
2. Open Winamp
3. Sync a mp3 file that already has an embeded album art using ml_ipod
4. Close Winamp
5. Open Itunes
6. Disable and Enable "Show Album Art" in the iPod settings
7. Close Itunes
8. Open Winamp
9. Sync all music

If you did it correctly, all album art, embeded or not, should now show on the AVIC. Also, make sure not to use the refresh art/tag info option in ml_ipod as it will screw everything up and you will have to redo the process again. If you want to update any files, make sure you delete it and then resync it.

Enjoy.
soullesssoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2009, 12:11   #4
ZepDad

Soul:
You have more perseverance than I do! Interesting, but unfortunate, forced solution. One would hope that the ml_ipod developers eventually solve the obvious artwork database bug (that's to say make it work like the native pmp_ipod). But it's probably as much Apple's fault for constantly changing the iPod database structure.

My journey with the AVIC and iPod has been interesting. All in an effort to avoid iTunes at all costs! I started with Media Monkey and, while I love the Monkey, the artwork issue was a deal killer. Moved to Winamp and, at first, thought the problem was solved. Upon discovering ml_ipod's rich feature set I really thought I'd hit the mother lode. Not to be.

Finally, I moved to foobar2000 and think all issues are resolved. Despite foobar's steep learning curve the ipod plugin, foo_dop, is more robust than ml_ipod in some ways (ipod tag mapping in particular) and, yes, the art displays on the AVIC with no further manipulation. That said, I don't think any solution is perfect. For any lingering problems on the iPod I fall back to Sharepod to directly access the iPod database.

Through it all I've learned even more about extended mp3 tags, replaygain vs. soundcheck, iPod compilations, embedded artwork, and the like. I can't say it hasn't been useful!
Old 7th August 2009, 18:23   #5
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

Actually, I have no idea how that works, so I can't fix that bug. To be honest, I don't even know what you are talking about, how does that deck display the cover art? I've only ever seen display the iPod the cover on its own display. You connect the iPod to that Pioneer deck, and then the covers should show up on the Pioneer's display?
Maybe that needs another format of the images. In the iPod's database, all needed formats are stored, the iPod does no rescaling on the fly.

WinAmp Pro 5.5 with ml_iPod 3.10 + dev.patches (download it)
ml_iPod documentation Wiki - ml_iPod FAQ - search ml_iPod forum - iPhone/iTouch - Found a bug?
Donations to support the ml_iPod project can be done HERE
abu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2009, 03:05   #6
ZepDad

Abu:
The Pioneer AVIC decks in question are the double-din touch screen units (Z, F, U, X series, maybe others). They have direct iPod control using a special interface cable and voice commands. Artwork can be displayed with each track. Kenwood, JVC and others make similar aftermarket units with iPod capabilities.

I wish I knew how the these units interface with the iPod library. Generally speaking the AVIC units display the same library information (album, artist, title, genre, playlists, artwork, etc.) as seen on the iPod. Sorting and tags are the same.

As pointed out the Pioneer artwork "glitch" only happens with certain iPod software--and maybe only in the 6G Classics. iTunes, Winamp (pmp_ipod), foobar, and sharepod (the only ones I've tested) don't have the Pioneer artwork problem. On the other hand Media Monkey and Winamp (ml_ipod) do not properly display artwork. Note that I only use embedded artwork and that image format and size do not seem to matter. If the art displays on the iPod it also displays on the Pioneer deck--assuming no "glitch".

Therefore, this does not seem to be a Pioneer problem. Instead there must be a difference, probably very minor, in how Media Monkey and ml_ipod writes art to the iPod database. Based on Soul's workaround it could be how ml_ipod first initializes the art database. Soul determined that, for whatever reason, iTunes is necessary to setup the first artwork entry when using ml_ipod.

I hope this helps a little. Obviously the problem only impacts a limited number of users and most of us have found other solutions. Therefore, I would understand if you don't investigate further. But it would be a nice to know....
Old 9th August 2009, 22:29   #7
balchy

Maybe 2 copies of the iTunes db files from a solution that works and ml_ipod (with just 1 track or so), could be compared?
balchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2009, 19:50   #8
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

Would be more interesting to have the ArtworkDB files compared, and the file names in the Artwork folder. Maybe the AVIC deck simply needs another format of the images which is created by iTunes, but not needed on the iPod itself?

ml_iPod documentation Wiki - ml_iPod FAQ - search ml_iPod forum - iPhone/iTouch - Found a bug?
Old 11th August 2009, 23:20   #9
soullesssoldier

Would you like me to provide my ArtworkDB from my iPod that is working with ml_ipod and an AVIC F700BT?

I also have an iPod nano 8 GB that is working with the AVIC because of the above solution. I can corrupt the ArtworkDB (I assume this is the culprit) by using Refresh Album Art so that it reverts back to not showing art on the AVIC, and then provide this to you as well.

Please let me know how I can help.
soullesssoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2009, 03:29   #10
ZepDad

I'm happy to help as well. I'm currently synched with foobar and it's working on the AVIC. For control purposes should we give you a fully reset iTunes version with a handful of songs in the ArtworkDB? Then do another reset and resynch with pmp_ipod? Finally, install ml_ipod, reset within Winamp, then resynch. If the error is repeatable, the final ml_ipod reset and synch should break the artwork on the AVIC.
Old 13th August 2009, 14:21   #11
Bilbo9955

Have you tried using an external jpg file instead of the embedded image when coping using ml_iPod?
Bilbo9955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2009, 20:01   #12
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

Bilbo, that shouldn't make a difference, because on the iPod the result is the same. And the covers do appear on the iPod itself, so it's not related to the artwork format.

ZepDad and soullesssoldier:
I don't have a lot of time for ml_ipod, but I could give it a try if you provide that information. Actually, I need the complete contents of the Artwork folder, once when it's working, and once again after ml_iPod corrupted it. Would be best if there were only two songs on the iPod, as these files get very big with a heavily loaded iPod.

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp iPod Plugin Discussion