Old 21st November 2013, 01:40   #1
garetjax
Candyass
(Major Dude)

Send a message via ICQ to garetjax Send a message via AIM to garetjax Send a message via MSN to garetjax Send a message via Yahoo to garetjax
Evidently -- This is goodbye.

With the news that Winamp, it's services and associated content will no longer be available; I figured I'd post here to say farewell to winamp skin forums should this be 'one' of the services that will no longer be available...

Thank you all for your friendship, comments and abuse at times....

We will see you...

Joe Garrett

1001skins |
That's not a skin, it's some god awful piece of skinner gunk. - Mr. Jones
garetjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 02:12   #2
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Guess you know this means a new purpouse / meaning for 1001skins? We have already talked about (http://forums.winamp.com/showpost.ph...5&postcount=34), hope you are not quitting on that now..
Victhor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 07:21   #3
simon snowflake
Skin Wizard
(Forum King)

Location: Gent, Belgium. does anybody know where the toilets are?
Send a message via ICQ to simon snowflake
The news really saddened me. I spend a good part of my day's at these parts of the interwebz. Although I didn't post/visited this place often anymore, I really hate to see it go.

To be honest I think everything went downhill fast for me when winamp 2 and 3 were merged into winamp 5.
I would love to see the "skin love" survive somewhere.

for the people with facebook, this is for our skinlove convenience:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Winam...56719561138089

http://9gag.com/gag/aozgN8X

don't be a thief of your own life.... : DEXYD - Digitally EXpressing Your Dreams

Join the Winamp Enthusiasts Forum - Join the Winamp Skin Love facebook group:
simon snowflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2013, 05:15   #4
garetjax
Candyass
(Major Dude)

Send a message via ICQ to garetjax Send a message via AIM to garetjax Send a message via MSN to garetjax Send a message via Yahoo to garetjax
It means that there could be a new purpose for 1001 if I can position it correctly. I have been working non-stop on setting up provider models for the skin system that I hadn't been keeping up on what was going on here...

So, now I have to add/extend out my provider models, to support plugins...templates and forums. I am okay with that...though, really need some assistance on testing the site, moderation, coding, styling and performance testing.

::sigh::

Thankfully, server is ulimited space, bandwidth and etc. I am developing it all on Enterprise Class Windows Server 2012 w/ Sql Server 2012. It is without a doubt very responsive...just got to build it.

1001skins |
Old 23rd November 2013, 10:16   #5
StillWater
Forum King

Wow, there are some old names in here!

I came here to pay my respects at the funeral, once I heard the bad news. It's been almost 10 years since I was a regular here, yet I see quite a few familiar names, including a few who started here well before me!

I'll always have fond memories of this forum, and of skinning. Skinning was more than just a hobby for me, it was the launching pad to a career. I ended up completeing a degree in multimedia and digital arts, and have been working as a web designer for the past several years.

I have to sheepishly admit that I haven't used winamp in years, though. Media Monkey is way more powerful in terms of managing my mp3 library, so I use that. Even though it took a long while to adjust to using something so functional, ugly, and unskinnable.

Well, garetjax and whoever else is reading this, thanks for the memories, the support, and the laughs, and I hope skinning gave you as much as it did me.

Sow a thought, reap an action; sow an action, reap a habit; sow a habit, reap a character; sow a character, reap a destiny.

All my skins: @ winamp.com @ 1K1WS @ Deviantart.com

My latest Flash Project: BreathingEarth.net
StillWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2013, 17:11   #6
garetjax
Candyass
(Major Dude)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillWater View Post

I came here to pay my respects at the funeral, once I heard the bad news. It's been almost 10 years since I was a regular here, yet I see quite a few familiar names, including a few who started here well before me!

I'll always have fond memories of this forum, and of skinning. Skinning was more than just a hobby for me, it was the launching pad to a career. I ended up completeing a degree in multimedia and digital arts, and have been working as a web designer for the past several years.

I have to sheepishly admit that I haven't used winamp in years, though. Media Monkey is way more powerful in terms of managing my mp3 library, so I use that. Even though it took a long while to adjust to using something so functional, ugly, and unskinnable.

Well, garetjax and whoever else is reading this, thanks for the memories, the support, and the laughs, and I hope skinning gave you as much as it did me.

Damn straight Still...I'm always reachable through 1001

1001skins |
Old 23rd November 2013, 21:46   #7
simon snowflake
Skin Wizard
(Forum King)

We should find a way to get all slim love ring members back in contact somehow.

don't be a thief of your own life.... : DEXYD - Digitally EXpressing Your Dreams

Old 23rd November 2013, 21:50   #8
simon snowflake
Skin Wizard
(Forum King)

Oh and i am not into web design much. Only do some simple Wordpress sites. But i do have my own 3D archViz company and make illustratiins for childbooks. And am currently working on a social media company house style. But i can't show that yet.

Old 24th November 2013, 01:07   #9
garetjax
Candyass
(Major Dude)

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon snowflake View Post
Oh and i am not into web design much. Only do some simple Wordpress sites. But i do have my own 3D archViz company and make illustratiins for childbooks. And am currently working on a social media company house style. But i can't show that yet.
Oh Yea? I stayed at a holidayInn express last night...and am attemping brain surgery. On a for reals note; I'm an Application Developer for a Dealer of Catepillar...

1001skins |
Old 24th November 2013, 08:35   #10
simon snowflake
Skin Wizard
(Forum King)

My small company site Dexyd.nl. needs a lot of work. Mashed it up 5y ago, but haven't found the time to make a decent one.

Old 26th November 2013, 10:39   #11
ripe
Major Dude

Thanks Winamp

Sad news.

I have very fond memories of my time spent skinning and hanging out at Winamp.com and the associated forums. Though I haven't regularly browsed the site for long time, it was kind of comforting to know that it was all still there. Nostalgic. People say stuff on the internet never gets deleted, and although I expect there will be projects to archive the site data, and that the Winamp media player itself may survive and be re-housed somewhere, it's sad to think that the old supporting framework - the skins, the plugins, the user ratings and comments, all the forum discussions - may potentially be lost from public view.

For what it's worth, I still use Winamp in classic mode almost every single day. It is loaded at startup on my work PC. I like the library. I can search, sift and browse my music collection without risk of the program overstepping the mark and messing up my files. And I still like the compact collapsible form of the old Winamp 2 skin format. At some point over the years, as pixel sizes in PC monitors got smaller and smaller, I switched to permanently using Winamp 2's Doublesize Mode. In this mode the actual display size is probably about the same it was on the first 17inch CRT monitor I used.

I began using computers regularly in the late nineties and I can think of very few other programs that have been in consistent use throughout those years. Winamp has been there the whole time.

ripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2013, 10:45   #12
ripe
Major Dude

P.S.
You would not believe the trouble I've had reviving this user account...

Quote:
Welcome, ripe.
You last visited: 7th November 2005 at 09:48
I hope everyone is keeping well

ripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2013, 14:38   #13
simon snowflake
Skin Wizard
(Forum King)

Let's hope we can reboot some of the comunity spirit from the heyday's on http://winampforum.com/

It's a same the old skin d-base is gone.

Old 26th November 2013, 15:55   #14
LuigiHann
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to LuigiHann
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon snowflake View Post
Let's hope we can reboot some of the comunity spirit from the heyday's on http://winampforum.com/

It's a same the old skin d-base is gone.
How did everybody register for that forum? I try to sign up but I keep getting this error

And I definitely did enter my email. Both the email and the confirmation boxes were green. Tried in two different browsers.

Who is the milkman? What is the purpose of the goggles?
LuigiHann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2013, 00:06   #15
garetjax
Candyass
(Major Dude)

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....05#post2977805

1001skins |
Old 27th November 2013, 05:04   #16
mike-db
Pancakes!
(Major Dude)

Send a message via ICQ to mike-db
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillWater View Post

Wow, haven't seen you in a while. Everyone's popping in eh?

Garet shoot me a facebook message sometime or even at the "enthusiasts" forum. If you need help with 1001 just let me know.

SEX APPEAL UP IN HERE!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
mike-db is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2013, 04:22   #17
Doggy Dog
Canis Sapiens
(Reviewer)

Send a message via ICQ to Doggy Dog
Ok, I remembered my pass, after all these years I remembered my pass....

Seeing those articles about Winamp, fuck, I felt like a part of me was ripped out. So, ok, I wasn't here for the last, well... four and a half years. Why? A break turned into a habit. New ventures, new things in life happened, new ways to put my online hyperactivity to use. Something I was better at than skinning or AVSing or reviewing them. This doesn't change the fact that this was the first forum I joined actively. Where I met my first online friends. People I'm still in sporadic contact with like flatmatt, Mr. Jones or some of the AVS crew. Where a first proper responsibility was given to me as a reviewer, though I was not even halfway through my teens. Where I learned a lot more than I thought I did.

I'm a bit mad at myself that this had to happen for me to remember all that. To come visit again. Maybe I was a bit embarrassed because I'd just left, without many/any words. Preoccupied with life... and yet, that's not an excuse.

I'll join that other forum, but can't promise I'll be active. Anyway, doggydog231286 on Deviantart, Marko on Ratebeer among other places. If someone wants to reminisce about old times or something similar, message me there, and we'll arrange something.
Doggy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2013, 07:37   #18
simon snowflake
Skin Wizard
(Forum King)

Hig Doggy Dog, Welcome back. I guess most of us walked that path more or less.

So what do you guys/gals all do these day (apart from not coming here anymore )

Old 28th November 2013, 12:11   #19
Doggy Dog
Canis Sapiens
(Reviewer)

Procrastinating with my MA theses as I'd had to work (translator for several languages). Singing. Rating beer/admin work on Ratebeer. A ton of other stuff that I'm doing instead of actually finishing my theses (yup, 2 of them).

You?
Old 28th November 2013, 13:05   #20
simon snowflake
Skin Wizard
(Forum King)

I work for a architect and have my own little 3D archviz Company. Currently doing a corporate design for a client including animated 3D thingy.
and I'm a father of 2 kids.

Old 29th November 2013, 18:19   #21
Veroka

15 years of winamp.
14 years making winamp skins, most of them available here.
Skinning was (I wish I could say "is", but lack of time changes the word) a hobby for me, in fact, the only hobby I have.
Veroka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2013, 04:17   #22
garetjax
Candyass
(Major Dude)

15 Years of Winamp Skinning
23 Collaborated Projects
467+/- (10) Winamp Skins Created
713 Scrapped Skin Designs
1000's of Designers, Programmers and Enthusiasts Met

Out of all that....ya, I'm going to miss...all of you.

1001skins |
Old 3rd December 2013, 01:29   #23
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by garetjax View Post
15 Years of Winamp Skinning
23 Collaborated Projects
467+/- (10) Winamp Skins Created
713 Scrapped Skin Designs
1000's of Designers, Programmers and Enthusiasts Met

Out of all that....ya, I'm going to miss...all of you.
Kill this place once. Kill it twice. Just to really finish it off make a new board on legal quicksand. Nice running into you guys for a while.

The bottom line here is that Winamp is obsolete and needs a complete rewrite. That's mainly because any software that's Windows-centric is doomed. Even Microsoft is making Windows that is so radically different from zero day... How long could it last? Microsoft has been dragging ass trying to make the next version of Windows compatible with the last for 20 years. Now it's a completely different ballgame. Now it's trying to make an OS that's still relevant... and if you ask me... failing.

Relevant software has to run on any toaster you have handy. Microsoft returns to developing business solutions. Aside from a few audio and video codecs operating systems are moving to FREE. Look what Apples been doing. Soon you will not buy an OS. It will be included with the hardware. It better run whatever developers design. Portability is the watchword here.

If it don't run on Android. If it don't run on OSX. If it don't run on Windows.... without major rewriting... Developers are gonna start dumping it like a hot rock. Consumers demand it needs to run on anything. Windows Phone may even be quietly gaining ground on Android. That's because it will run Androids apps almost without modification and run it's own.

OS'es move to free. Upgrades move to free. And a 1990's media player designed for Windows don't fit. Developers are demanding portable. This is what the html5 stuff is all about. Hardware agnostic. OS agnostic.

Intel and Microsoft .... not so valuable anymore. Other people do the same thing cheaper. As my current hardware ages, I suspect I may have bought my last Windows based PC. Games are even moving to agnostic graphics libraries.

If you don't make software that will run on "whatever" somebody will.

This proceeds from some theory that controlling software is a revenue stream. I think that boat has sailed. How software companies develop new business models recognizing that is gonna be interesting.

When we started here, audio and video players were state of the art. Now it's a feature that comes with anything that calls itself a smart phone or computer.

I looked up a couple DJ's I know. Even they moved on..... years ago. One even laughed at me and used the word.. spamfest... describing Winamp.

Somebody will buy the trade names here and stick it on a more reasonable, current media player. If there is any survival to be found for a forum, it would be one for webcasting/musicians/DJ enthusiasts in a far more generic context than an obsolete media player.

One of Nullsofts most damning problems is it never figured out how to monetize radio streams in a fashion that was acceptable to the recording industry. This led to ridiculous webcasting rates. That's even past what they really wanted. What they want is this to be dead.

Nice knowing you guys.

Last edited by rockouthippie; 3rd December 2013 at 03:00.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2013, 02:58   #24
garetjax
Candyass
(Major Dude)

Disagree - Winamp of a C++ Library could be ported to anything given the right motivation to do so...a mass majority of the codebase has already been adopted to android and could be revived for usage across all electronic foundations.

The meat of winamp was its ease of use, customization and wide plugin support. You unfortunately, have missed that mark completely. Otherwise, iTunes would not be as popular today as it is...if media players were outmoted/unused.

The monetization of SAAS against solid Software is what MSFT is looking for...and any other company looking to push content delivery via web services to a unified and easily migrated base product.

But, hey I've only developed for 20 years bring applications to market for the largest of these companies...so, your fatalistic empirical viewpoint has some flaws. Keep drinking the brew...someone will follow you.

1001skins |
Old 3rd December 2013, 03:07   #25
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
Winamp of a C++ Library could be ported to anything given the right motivation to do so..
I'm not seeing that motivation. Other media players already do most of what Winamp does. As DJ software it's obsolete. And another one of the biggest problems for Winamp.. other media players do it without ads.

I think the idea that you can have a media player that counts on advertising as a revenue stream is done. You can monetize content. You can't monetize the player. Those are free.

There was a time when a media player was valuable. Now it's built into whatever you have.

And I might even go along with what you said, except that there are parallel open source media players than never reached Winamp's development level. It's like linux not having decent device drivers. You get what you can pay for. Programming is work. While you might screw around for the sake of science, you can't make a living that way.

So... these open source... freebie projects get tossed under the desk in favor of things that pay you.

I'm probably good enough to rewrite Winamp as a full time job. It would probably take me 3 years. Anybody got a couple hundred grand so I could eat?

Then Frauenhofer and MPEG groups will want 2 bits a copy for their codecs. How do we pay that bill? Currently that's tacked onto the price of your hardware. You didn't even notice.

I'll remind you that if you tried to host videolan in the US (or most other countries) you'd have a C&D on your hands as quick as a lawyer could sign John Hancock. Only in France and only because the French government told lawyers to fuck off.

Given some of the proprietary stuff in videolan, having videolan installed on your computer is likely a felony under US law. For one thing, it circumvents encrypted copyright protection in a way that's pretty dicey.

So.. you'd need smart developers willing to work for nothing to do something you can't publish unless you paid. I'm not seeing it.

AOL covered some bills here. The AMP trademark. Software developers and paying the various intellectual property groups. Microsoft bought a grip of AOL patents at auction and sold them to Facebook so Facebook would have a patent portfolio to tangle with Yahoo.

How this fits? I dunno. I'm sure it has some relevance to Winamp gone.

And really... What's Winamp with no support services? It's a skinnable MP3 player. Yawn.
Old 4th December 2013, 21:30   #26
ampburner
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to ampburner Send a message via AIM to ampburner Send a message via Yahoo to ampburner
Hey sexy people!

I can't believe that something I've loved and cherished will soon be ancient history.
Then again, I've been absent from this forum for such a long time... I hadn't even realized that they're refered to as 'classic' skins nowadays.

Oh boy, am I finally getting old?

Thanks @simon for remembering me!
hi Doggy, Garetjax, Mr. Jones, and all I've failed to mention.
ampburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2013, 21:39   #27
ampburner
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to ampburner Send a message via AIM to ampburner Send a message via Yahoo to ampburner
oh and if anybody wants to get in touch, google me, I still use this handle on most places.
my username @hitmanforum.com also works if you're the email type.

holy shit the old smilies bring back memories:
Old 4th December 2013, 23:49   #28
garetjax
Candyass
(Major Dude)

missed ya sweetie...lol

~ AMPY WAMPY DAMPY...

1001skins |
Old 5th December 2013, 06:46   #29
ampburner
Forum King

hey Joe, what's up?
Old 5th December 2013, 08:43   #30
simon snowflake
Skin Wizard
(Forum King)

if anyone is interested to join a closed winamp-classiskin facebook group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/winamp.skinlove/

Old 5th December 2013, 12:01   #31
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Besides getting together, are you planning to actually do some new skins?
Old 5th December 2013, 16:15   #32
ampburner
Forum King

I doubt it. Haven't done any skinning in almost a decade!
Old 7th December 2013, 17:50   #33
Doggy Dog
Canis Sapiens
(Reviewer)

Aaah, yer alive!
Old 7th December 2013, 18:55   #34
garetjax
Candyass
(Major Dude)

For Ampburner & those that care to add me:

-garetjax(at)1001skins.com
-garrjo (skype)
-fusion_box(at)hotmail.com
-joegarrett(at)outlook.com
-1001skins (at) winampforum.com

Social Sites
-https://twitter.com/1001Skins
-https://www.facebook.com/joe.w.garrett
-https://twitter.com/garetjaxskins
-https://plus.google.com/u/0/+JoeGarrett/posts

1001skins |
Old 7th December 2013, 20:39   #35
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampburner View Post
I doubt it. Haven't done any skinning in almost a decade!
Maybe you can do some new skins for 1001.. as a way to say thanks to Joe (and goodbye to Winamp.. )
Old 7th December 2013, 23:12   #36
rockouthippie
Banned

Winamp 2 skins are still a viable thing because they can be used with media players that are still alive such as AIMP, audacious etc. There is even an open source Milkdrop, which now syncs the sound card and doesn't care what player you use.

All this talk about open source Winamp. The best parts of it already are. From that pre-Winamp 3 dim time before it lost it's soul.

Want something to do? Help living open source projects.
Old 8th December 2013, 02:24   #37
garetjax
Candyass
(Major Dude)

blah blah blah...

Open Source this that...whatever, most open source projects die as quickly as they are formed. Many others are worthless; in regards to their given target. A bunch of hacking to make something...that works only for a relatively few participants. I've been down this road on many open source projects. Most are bogged down in continually changes due to the time it takes to make something worthwhile. Unless, they are cared for by a company on the backend and that company pushes the direction.

Open sourcing winamp - probably a bad idea; though, I defer to those more wise in the ways of its source material...and they probably would agree with much of my thinking. If you aren't a developer then you don't understand what it means to give up code for others to consume...and change over time.

Not understanding why you continually bash on the product, bash on the forums, bash on the site and still keep coming back dude? Seriously, your comments are so pessimistic; I feel your of no use with a single track mind.

My Rant being over...I'd rather not continue this conversation...so, I'm going to ignore you.

1001skins |
Old 8th December 2013, 13:09   #38
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

Hallo Ampburner, Doggy, Simon Snowflake, Ripe, Veroka, Garet and all the others.
Wildrose-Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2013, 20:54   #39
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
Not understanding why you continually bash on the product, bash on the forums, bash on the site and still keep coming back dude?
Most of the old timers are coming here to say goodbye. They haven't written a post in years. That's because Winamp is dead and this forum is dead.

Residual are trademarks, the domain name and other intellectual properties still worth a few million dollars. YOU CAN'T JUST TAKE THEM.

I own some domains and trademarks worth thousands of dollars and I wouldn't let you. Do you have 5 million dollars to buy this brand? Do you have 2.5 million dollars to buy this domain?

I didn't think so.

The world could use a good webcaster forum. You are holding a wake for a dead media player. Oz wants to continue to write plugins for a media player people are uninstalling on a grand scale. You want to keep your skin site up.

I wanted a forum that would be there in a year. For that, I have ZERO confidence.

Last edited by rockouthippie; 8th December 2013 at 22:27.
Old 9th December 2013, 01:24   #40
garetjax
Candyass
(Major Dude)

Hey Wildrose-Wally; Missed ya at the spring convention of bacon bits. <-- WTH?

Missed ya brother...from another motha. Hey, just finished a lot on 1001....figured you'd like to regain your profile...it's up and running...supporting pretty much anything that can be skinned though, currently I have limited it to 'AIMP', 'Joomla', 'CSS/PSD', 'Plugins','Skins','******','Foobar' etc...I should have the ability to do a lot more in the coming months...I will decide if there is enough interest overtime to add a forum/discussion board @ that address.

1001skins |
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Skinning and Design > Classic Skins