Old 2nd April 2010, 16:05   #1
Urutsini

Search and Sort options

When 'Search'ing your media libraries, if you switch between media types ('Audio' to 'Video' for example), Winamp clears the search field. This becomes particularly annoying when constructing a playlist. Often I like to check the playlist as I'm going for mistakes but when I go back to the 'Audio' library I have to retype my search. And with a large library, this can get a little clunky.

At the least, can we have Winamp "remember" the contents of the 'Search:' box when navigating. Ideally, it would also be great to have some sort of cache that remembers the contents of a search so that when you perform the same search, or come back to a library while navigating, it displays immediately. However, I realise this is frought with logistical problems.

An advanced 'Search:' ability would be fantastic, as would the ability to 'Search:' playlists or even the list of playlists. It would be nice to be able to save searches if an advanced search function is implemented. Maybe the first step would be to implement an "Auto Fill-in as you type" for the 'Search:' box.

The ability to narrow the sort function would be awesome. At the moment you can 'Sort' by "Artist", "Album" or "Track #" etc. It would be great to be able to "Sort by Column A then by Column B", eg. "Sort by Year then by Album".

I'd love to be able to:
Sort Playlists by: Date created ascending/descending
and potentially:
Sort Playlists by: Last edited ascending/descending

The ability to sort the contents of playlists would be great too.
Urutsini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2010, 04:48   #2
Urutsini

Also, when adding a new playlist, it automatically places it at the bottom of the list. Is it possible to have the option of having it appear at the top of the list.
Old 4th April 2010, 06:39   #3
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
look in prefs. what you want to recall search queries already exists. you can also construct custom search queries.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2010, 10:09   #4
Urutsini

You are a godsend MrSinatra, thankyou. That was my biggest gripe actually, so I'm glad the option existed.

It's a pity that the 'Preferences' are so cluttered and at times less than intuitive. I've also had a look over the advance search and refine search controls and realise I shouldn't have dropped out of Comp Sci It'd be useful if there was the option of a floating search box with the most common advance search options available in the box as text input fields.
Old 9th April 2010, 23:22   #5
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
yeah, search needs work.

what i want to see is very small icons in the app that act as links to the wiki explaining that function.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Wishlist

Tags
libraries, playlist, search, sort, suggestions