Old 9th September 2013, 07:35   #1
mischa78

How can I show the progress of a song on a SHOUTcast stream?

To play a SHOUTcast stream on my website I am using JPlayer and in particular the CirclePlayer. When playing normal normal MP3 files it shows the progress of a track: there is a green progress bar that shows how much of the current track has played, but with a SHOUTcast stream this does not work.

I have been doing some research and it seems impossible to make it work for streams:

- The public metadata on `/stats?sid=1` doesn't give the length of the current track
- It is possible to get the length of a song through the stream metadata, but then you still don't know how long the song has been playing. That info doesn't seem available.

Am I correct that it is impossible (or at least very difficult and inaccurate) to show the progress of the current track in a SHOUTcast stream? If not, how can I do it?
mischa78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2013, 08:13   #2
DrO

you are correct in your assumptions - SHOUTcast streams were never intended to indicate per-song position as it can be done but requires protocol changes and everything from the source software to the client player to cope with and support it.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2013, 13:51   #3
mischa78

OK, thanks for confirming what I already suspected.
mischa78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Technical Support

Tags
jplayer, progress, shoutcast, song