Old 12th October 2008, 05:57   #1
sbray420

Winamp hangs after ripping 2 CDs

Winamp hangs after I rip 2 cd's. There are no errors or problems during the rip and the cddb information is always downloaded without error. When a 3rd cd is inserted winamp shows "Reading Disc" and does not progress. It hangs for at least 20 minutes (haven't left it for longer). During the hangup if any other function is attempted; i.e playing a file, changing views, selecting a menu, winamp will freeze and has to be closed manually by task manager. I have performed a clean install to remove any 3rd party plugin, skins, etc. and problem is still ocurring.

1) Start Winamp
2) Insert a cd
3) Rip tracks
4) Rip a second cd
5) insert 3rd cd
6) Winamp hangs at "reading disc"

System:

WinXP Pro sp3
M-Audio 2496 sound card
Radeon 9250 video
Pentium dual core 1.8gHz
2 Gb dual channel mem
Seagate 250Gb SATA HDD
sbray420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2008, 08:38   #2
Sawg
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to Sawg Send a message via AIM to Sawg Send a message via Yahoo to Sawg
Cannot Reproduce.

full uninstall and reinstall
Information required when posting

| Brought to you by ^V ^C | The one... the original... no seriously!
Sawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2008, 01:59   #3
pharmboycu

Re: Winamp hangs after ripping 2 CDs

I'm having the same exact issue. I'm not sure what to do about it either. I have to shut down the program and restart it after almost every disc I rip.

Any ideas?

Quote:
Originally posted by sbray420
Winamp hangs after I rip 2 cd's. There are no errors or problems during the rip and the cddb information is always downloaded without error. When a 3rd cd is inserted winamp shows "Reading Disc" and does not progress. It hangs for at least 20 minutes (haven't left it for longer). During the hangup if any other function is attempted; i.e playing a file, changing views, selecting a menu, winamp will freeze and has to be closed manually by task manager. I have performed a clean install to remove any 3rd party plugin, skins, etc. and problem is still ocurring.

1) Start Winamp
2) Insert a cd
3) Rip tracks
4) Rip a second cd
5) insert 3rd cd
6) Winamp hangs at "reading disc"

System:

WinXP Pro sp3
M-Audio 2496 sound card
Radeon 9250 video
Pentium dual core 1.8gHz
2 Gb dual channel mem
Seagate 250Gb SATA HDD
pharmboycu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2008, 07:55   #4
Sawg
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to Sawg Send a message via AIM to Sawg Send a message via Yahoo to Sawg
They are links. Click on them

| Brought to you by ^V ^C | The one... the original... no seriously!
Sawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2009, 05:55   #5
aroberts

Me too!

I rip CDs for a living, and am having the same problem. Running on a quad core machine. Tried 2 different DVD-RWs, and also went from the Realtek onboard sound card to a SoundBlaster Audigy Gamer. Works fine on the first disc, hangs on Reading Disc when I insert the second. Need to close and reopen Winamp to rip another disc.

This slows me down considerably when ripping 40-50 CDs a day. Please fix this!
aroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2009, 15:43   #6
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

Quote:
I rip CDs for a living
Then why are you using a media player and not a dedicated ripping program to rip your CD's?

I do not use Winamp for ripping or burning, there are other programs wich do this better.

They should have never made this part of Winamp, but then some people are stupid enough to want everything in one program.
Wildrose-Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2009, 21:53   #7
aroberts

Because I am a subcontractor to a Media Technology company, and this was the program they provided for me, and told me to use, because it did most everything that needed done quickly and efficiently. If you have other alternatives, please, feel free to share them. This problem of hanging only happened after an update, and when I rolled back to an earlier version, it wasn't corrected. Please, I welcome all advice. There are certain specific criteria that the ripped music must meet, and if you know of another program that will do what I need done, then please feel free to suggest an alternate method.
Old 21st July 2009, 01:31   #8
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

http://www.audiograbber.com*********/

Free, use the lame encoder with it:

http://lame.jthz.com/
Wildrose-Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2009, 20:18   #9
aroberts

ahh I think I might have found why it can't be reproduced under 'controlled' circumstances. I have my priority level set at 'above normal'. Changing to normal helps a bit, but only for a couple of extra cd's.
Old 24th March 2010, 18:50   #10
Pokearoo

I had the same problem.

I was perplexed at first since it only started after many CDs were ripped.

When Winamp was hung on "reading the disk", Windows XP could explore the drive and see all the tracks. The two weren't talking.

I had only changed two items in my settings so I went back and changed them again. First the priority was set to Normal again. That didn't help as stated above.

Then I removed the check on the Auto Eject after the rip. That solved it. The eject on the USB CD R/W drive and the one in Winamp both work.

I ripped the rest of my collection without a hitch.

Its more trouble since there is no indication that the rip is complete but it works.
Sounds like a bug to me.

Hope that helps
Pokearoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2010, 19:52   #11
aroberts

You Rock! Thank you so much! I can't believe it was that simple!
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support