Old 14th November 2012, 22:00   #1
rtmeado

Shoutcast DSP only takes Windows default audio?

Greetings, here's what I've got...

Winamp v5.63, Shoutcast DSP plug-in v2.3.2, Windows 7 64-bit SP1, M-Audio Delta 66 w/latest driver v6.0.8

I want to stream two separate stereo sources to a Shoutcast v2 server using the 2.3.2 DSP. Right now I am doing just that using two instances of the old Edcast connected to separate ports on a Shoutcast v1 server. Works great, I select Line 1/2 for one instance of Edcast, Line 3/4 for the other and bam, two separate stations running on one machine.

I'm getting audio to the Shoutcast DSP, seeing good levels, connecting fine to the new server. The problem I'm having is that it doesn't matter whether I choose Line 1/2 or Line 3/4 for the DSP input, I get the same audio. Specifically, I am getting the audio from whichever pair is set as the default recording device through the Windows sound control panel.

Some other details-

If I set the default recording device in Windows to Line 1/2, the DSP passes that audio but then Line 1/2 disappears as a capture device option on the DSP input tab. If I select Line 3/4 and refresh the capture device list, 3/4 disappears as an option and Line 1/2 returns. Of course, then it is only passing Line 3/4 audio.

If I set the default recording device in Windows to something else, like the M-Audio monitor or multi-channel (which are showing no levels in the Win mixer) then refresh the caputre device list, I see both Line 1/2 and Line 3/4 as available options but I get no levels.

My plan was to run two instances of Winamp, one with the DSP set to 1/2, the other set to 3/4 similar to what I'm doing now with Edcast but I can't seem to break the connection between the Windows default recording device and what I can select in the DSP (or what audio it will pass).

I'm sure everyone knows that Shoutcast v2 support is supposedly in the works for the Edcast reborn project, but who knows if that will ever happen. If I had that I'd be golden and could do what I need without Winamp, but I'd be just as happy running separate instances of Winamp w/the DSP if I can get it to work.

Any thoughts or advice you all can offer would be much appreciated.

rtmeado
rtmeado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2012, 22:52   #2
DrO

the Soundcard mode only uses the default recording device - that is the expected behaviour.

the devices shown in the drop-down are for when the 'push to talk' option is enabled. though on Windows Vista and up, the behaviour of that whole feature is in most cases not working as wanted / expected (as compared to older versions it won't mix the Winamp output and the selected 'mic' output together like happens on XP and earlier (this is all noted in the release thread as well as the documentation).

at some point i would like to re-do the soundcard handling to make it work in a more complete and consistent manner (or just make it better handle things on newer OSes) but it's not going to be happening anytime soon.

as such you either need to do something like using a DSP stacker and another DSP or even a line-in plug-in which is able to do what you want and then have the Source DSP setup to pull from the Winamp input and send that on.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2012, 23:59   #3
rtmeado

I tried using a line-in plug-in that has the two stereo pairs available as separate devices but ran into the same problem. No matter which one I assigned it would only take the audio source assigned to default for recording in Windows. I will try to dig a little deeper in the forums for information specific to the plug-in and report back if I find a solution.

Thanks for the prompt reply, very helpful. Keep up the good work.
-rtmeado
Old 15th November 2012, 00:17   #4
DrO

not sure which line-in plug-in you've tried, i know the native one is somewhat limited but http://home.hccnet.nl/th.v.d.gronde/...WA2/index.html might be more flexible (and cannot remember if thinktink has done anything which does it - am sure there'll be a response to clarify, unless it's from a DSP... oh how my memory is rubbish of late).

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2012, 16:42   #5
rtmeado

Best possible result

Yes, that is the plug-in I used. I went back over the instructions for it and it is now working for me as planned. It's possible that I had a syntax error in the line:// command when calling for the device in the plug-in. Or, I had the devices assigned correctly in the plug-in but did not then go back and adjust the DSP config to reflect the input change from sound card to Winamp as the source for the audio.

Thanks again for your time, nice job.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Technical Support

Tags
default recording, dsp input, shoutcast dsp