Old 19th September 2006, 17:01   #1
iflo

Copy songs to USB device in album order

I am using Winamp 5.25 build 868 beta with ml_pmp Portable player support to copy songs from my media library to my Sony Ericsson w810i over a USB cable.

This works fine except it appears to copy the songs in alphabetical order rather than the album order (the order listed when I drag them over) The problem is that the phone plays back songs in either alphabetical order, or the order they were copied (which is also alphabetical now!) so there is no easy way for me to listen to an album in the correct order. The phone does not support internal track numbers and works off the song name only as far as I know.

Is it possible that a future version of ml_pmp could copy the tracks in the order added rather than alphabetically?

Flo
iflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2006, 09:43   #2
siebe83
Forum King

Why not use a filename format that includes the album title and track number, such that they are sorted by album and track when sorted alphabetically?

Prefs (Ctrl+P) > Portables > your device > Advanced tab

Good Winamp plugins by Joonas, DrO and shaneh.
If you're bored go here or, if the boredom is more serious, here.
siebe83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2006, 14:40   #3
iflo

Hi siebe83, this is how I have set the filenames, but as far as I can tell the phone doesn't use the filename for sorting - it uses the file's internally stored track name (which doesn't include the number) I wish it had been that simple!
iflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2006, 00:10   #4
maynardkrebs

Reviving this thread...

I'm having the same issue with v5.3 using a Sandisk SDMX1-512R. If I copy directly using explorer the files are in album order. If I copy with Winamp the files are in alphabetical order. I am using <Artist> - <Album> - ## - <Track> as my naming format.

This is really wierd. Any help?

TIA
Maynard
maynardkrebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2006, 03:06   #5
maynardkrebs

Anyone???
Old 16th November 2006, 17:25   #6
DrO

it's due to the copy algorithm of ml_pmp (as was explained to me this weekend since i came across the issue as well). from my understanding this will not be changed since the algorithm in us gives the best transfer results, alas another way would need to be done to facilitate this...

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2006, 02:17   #7
maynardkrebs

Solution

Here's a solution to this problem. It's not pretty but it works. This involves creating a virtual portable player and then moving the virtual player files to the physical player with explorer as follows:

First, go to this site and follow the instructions to create a virtual drive letter that points to a working folder on your system. Windows Housekeeping for WPDOS Users. I chose P: which maps to G:\Media\Player.

Next, open Winamp Preferences and select Plug-ins->Portables (at the very bottom of the prefs list). Select the Nullsoft USB Device Plugin from the list of portables then press the "Configure selected plug-in" button. In the dialog that pops up, select your new drive letter from the "Manual Connect" drop down list, then press "Connect this Drive" and click OK for all the warnings. You should now see a new portable in Winamp with the drive letter you assigned.

Next, in Winamp Preferences, select "Media Library->Portables->USB Drive <Your drive letter>:" and setup your options. I have my file name format set to P:\<Artist>\<Album>\## - <Title>.

Copy some music from Media Library to your new virtual Portable device. Then (here's the ugly part), open an explorer window and move the top level folder from the virtual drive to your actual USB device.

The files should now get copied to your device in track order and be formatted just right.

(whew!.. that was ugly)
Maynard
Old 26th November 2006, 02:40   #8
DrO

that is a bit involved really. in the end i went for a separate
plugin
to copy over to the drive and then just have to either restart winamp or force a rescan of the drive and it all synchs up fine. only issue with my implementation at the moment is that it's not setup to handle the send to menu (needed for media library integration) and i've not got the ## stuff sorted out yet

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2008, 13:57   #9
urbanjaybird

The work around to this i have found is to create a playlist. If you create a playlist with the album, the playlist creates in the proper order, then send the playlist to the USB device and the playlist copies in the correct order.
urbanjaybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2008, 22:05   #10
nibbl3r

I just came accross this thread after hitting the same issue with my Maxfield MP3 player. I would love to use the 'sent do USB' from the Media Library. Unfortunately this is not useful feature at the moment as it 'destroys' the ordering of the tracks.

I tryed the suggestion to create playlists instead. This seems to work but I have an issue with this workaround:

1. I'm not using playlists at all and would need to create a playlist for each of the 300 albums I've archived from my CDs to my harddisk up to now.

2. I've enabled playlist generation for ripped CDs to test how Winamp behaves when I delete the album afterwards. Unfortunately it does not delete the playlist automatically (maybe I need to configure something - as written above, I'm normally not using playlists)

3. I feel that having hundreds of playlists in the playlist view is not that handy as the local audio view within the Media Library.

I would love to see the behaviour of the 'send to USB' being configurable. Meaning allowing the user to select the 'optimized algorithm' for faster copying or the 'track ordered' algorithm (how ever it would look like) to keep the ordering of tracks within an album on an USB device.

Apart from that Winamp is perfect for me. Especially with the new Version 5.

Greetings
nibbl3r
nibbl3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2008, 17:51   #11
2badgersblue

I've just been trying to work around this problem. I thought my new car stereo was broken, but no it's just playing tracks from the USB device in the file creation order and not alphabetical or track number order. Stupid!

Anyway, to expand on a previous post:
Create a temporary playlist call something like "To Copy To USB".
Find the music you want and send it to this new playlist.
Order it as you want.
Send the entire playlist to your USB device and you should see it being copied in playlist order and not some funky 'optimised algorithm' order.

File creation times are now in *your* order, not winamp's and thus will play in *your* order on your chosen device.

Cheers.
2badgersblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2016, 05:03   #12
michele-01

I've just been trying to work around this problem. I thought my new car stereo was broken, but no it's just playing tracks from the USB device in the file creation order and not alphabetical or track number order. Stupid!
michele-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2016, 13:15   #13
michele-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by iflo View Post
I am using Winamp 5.25 build 868 beta with ml_pmp Portable player support to copy songs from my media library to my Sony Ericsson w810i over a USB cable.

This works fine except it appears to copy the songs in alphabetical order rather than the album order (the order listed when I drag them over) The problem is that the phone plays back songs in either alphabetical order, or the order they were copied (which is also alphabetical now!) so there is no easy way for me to listen to an album in the correct order. The phone does not support internal track numbers and works off the song name only as far as I know.

Is it possible that a future version of ml_pmp could copy the tracks in the order added rather than alphabetically?

Flo
hy guys i am michele i'll face problem is that the phone plays back songs in either alphabetical order, or the order they were copied (which is also alphabetical now!) so there is no easy way for me to listen to an album in the correct order.
Old 7th June 2016, 03:07   #14
alexder

The work around to this i have found is to create a playlist.

fifa 17 coins online
alexder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2016, 20:26   #15
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
if the tracks are properly tagged with track numbers, u can have mp3tag rewrite the filenames to include the track numbers.

all my rips include the track number in the filename such that they sort properly.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2016, 05:35   #16
michele-01

yes its possible to the verions in your tracks
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support