Old 4th February 2009, 00:41   #1
Tag
Streaming Media Expert

Send a message via AIM to Tag
Shoutcast Transcoder 2.0 Beta 5

Neil and the gang wish to present you the latest Shoutcast Transcoder beta drop.

http://download.shoutcast.com/beta/s...2009_02_03.zip

Enjoy!
Tag

2/3/2009 - sc_trans beta drop 5 - Version 2 revision 25

BUG FIXES:

Logging problems after internal restart fixed.
Resampler and crossfader on PPC Mac was broken. This is now fixed.
Problems with metadata transmission fixed.
potential thread hang (also related to metadata transmission) fixed.
Mac versions no longer become unkillable after an internal restart
Stream timeout for guest DJs fixed
Duration analysis code for mp3 and aacp files improved.

MISC NEW STUFF:

Live capture now supported on Mac.
Mechanism for auto-tranmission of intro and backup files added as part of shoutcast 2 infrastructure work
timeoffset attribute added to scheduling system for time-periodic events.
This will allow scheduling like "every hour on the half-hour"
Ajax API sample provided in testui folder
Tag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2009, 10:41   #2
nradisch

To avoid any misunderstandings, I want to clarify the team's position on the testui that was included with this drop.

The testui is not an officially supported piece of software. It was included in response to requests for Ajax API examples. Just think of the testui as an enormous hunk of example code. While feedback is always appreciated, comments regarding the testui will not be given nearly the degree of consideration that is given for sc_trans. Use the example code any way you'd like, including ripping it to shreds and modifying it to your own liking.

That said, I've found it to be a pretty useful bit of software. To run it, open the index.html page first, which will prompt you for the IP, port, login and password for the admin interface on your sc_trans. You'll get a bunch of evil looking security dialogs, but that's just so I can poke around on your hard disk to build playlists, and to work around the x-domain scripting security. I promise I'm doing nothing malicious.

The testui has only ever been tested and run on a PC using Firefox 3.

We are working on an official GUI for sc_trans, but I don't expect that to be available for a few months.

--Neil
nradisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2009, 14:19   #3
Jkey
Forum King

Thanks neil.

note:-
If you are having problems with installing sc_trans
or just getting stuck with the setup,please from now on post in the SHOUTcast tech support forum.

This will help keep this thread tidy for bugs that are found
and other issues such as those that relate to the api/testui etc that will help the sc dev team.

your friendly moderator/support team.

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish.
Jkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2009, 16:42   #4
gurek

When do I set mp3 48000 44100 Hz Mono, sc_trans changes to 48 22050 stereo.

Why?
gurek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2009, 16:54   #5
nradisch

The codec doesn't support 44100 at 48kb, so it resamples to 22050. I don't see the conversion from mono to stereo. I'm getting mono out.

--Neil
Old 4th February 2009, 17:05   #6
gurek

Quote:
Originally posted by nradisch
The codec doesn't support 44100 at 48kb, so it resamples to 22050. I don't see the conversion from mono to stereo. I'm getting mono out.

--Neil
When it will be possible?
Old 4th February 2009, 17:19   #7
nradisch

Probably never. We license codecs from third parties, and have no control over this. Regardless, you'll find, in the mp3 world there is a relationship between bitrate and sample rate. If you push the bitrate down low enough, eventually the codec is going to resample to a lower rate. The only difference between codecs is the bitrate level at which sample rate is forced to change.

If you see that you're getting a different sample rate out of the codec than what you specify in sc_trans, you should change the sc_trans setting to match what you see on the output, otherwise you're resampling twice, and that can effect output quality.

--Neil

--Neil
Old 4th February 2009, 17:22   #8
gurek

And why in the old version work?
Old 4th February 2009, 18:47   #9
nradisch

which old version are you referring to?
Old 4th February 2009, 19:17   #10
gurek

[TRANSCast] DNAS/posix v0.400-LAME (Mar 4 2003)
Old 4th February 2009, 19:19   #11
Jkey
Forum King

i know this config was available in the dsp but i dont think it was ever available in sc_trans ?

if i was trying to obtain 48k mono with a sample rate of 44100hz i would use the aac+ codec for better results.

Old 4th February 2009, 19:31   #12
nradisch

Quote:
Originally posted by gurek
[TRANSCast] DNAS/posix v0.400-LAME (Mar 4 2003)
As I said, different codecs have different thresholds at which they begin to resample. We do not use the LAME encoder in sc_trans anymore.

--Neil
Old 4th February 2009, 21:26   #13
gurek

Quote:
2009-02-04 22:24:40 I msg:[playlistMgr] playlist load from file playlists/lista.lst
2009-02-04 22:24:40 W msg:[playlistMgr]The playlist entry /home/panel/mp3/106-the_disco_boys-fly_so_high_(extended_mix) - [www.PCTrecords.com].mp3 generated no entries
2009-02-04 22:24:40 W msg:[playlistMgr]The playlist entry /home/panel/mp3/107-sesa_feat._sharon_phillips-like_this_like_that_(radio_edit) - [www.PCTrecords.com].mp3 generated no entries
2009-02-04 22:24:40 W msg:[playlistMgr]The playlist entry /home/panel/mp3/110-fragma-tocas_miracle_(inpetto_edit) - [www.PCTrecords.com].mp3 generated no entries
2009-02-04 22:24:40 W msg:[playlistMgr]The playlist entry /home/panel/mp3/201-david_guetta_and_chris_willis-love_is_gone_(fred_rister_and_joachim_garraud_radio_edit_remix) - [www.PCTrecords.com].mp3 generated no entries
What is ?

path file is 100% correct
Old 4th February 2009, 21:32   #14
nradisch

The playlist expander uses a system call that honors all shell expansion wildcards. This includes brackets ([]). Try escaping the brackets with a backslash.

--Neil
Old 4th February 2009, 22:08   #15
gurek

I really can not do anything with that 48 44100 Mono? Use the example of the old codec sc_trans (2003)?
A lot of stations using the 48 kbps 44100Hz Mono.

Sorry for my English
Old 4th February 2009, 22:18   #16
nradisch

It really is not important what the reported frequency is. What is important is the reproduction quality. It doesn't do anyone any good to try and reproduce 44100 at 48kb if you're going to get a lot of high frequency aliasing. This is something that has been often reported in LAME forums. You hear it as a faint ringing or humm. You're better off with a clean 22050. Saying you need 44100 at 48kb is a lot like saying you need an guitar amp that "goes all the way to eleven [Spinal Tap Reference]"

But it's really irrelevant whether you agree with me or not. Legal and contractual issues limit which codecs we can use. We decided a while ago that we would build in the codecs to avoid dll hell. When someone files a bug report, we really don't want to be in a position where we have to consider which of the hundreds of versions of LAME someone might have installed. Building LAME into the code is not an option due to it's licensing terms and subsequent legal issues with MPEGLA.

--Neil
Old 5th February 2009, 03:40   #17
jaromanda
Forum King

Got around to testing the testui ... pretty impressive ... though I couldn't get it to work out of the box even after allowing the "cross domain" stuff in firefox, but that could be my setup

I did manage to rewrite it to not use cross domain (use an intermediate PHP page instead)

Only issue I don't understand, can't delete DJ's

edit: again, could be my setup, possibly crap being introduced by the "intermediate" PHP page ... cleaned that up, and now it's all good

BUT ... I did notice an odd thing with DJ names

if you have

fred and fredy ... the fred DJ will be repeated over and over in the DJ's list

but that's an issue in the example javascript, not a problem with sc_trans

Is it just me or are shoutcast users getting dumber?

Last edited by jaromanda; 5th February 2009 at 05:20.
jaromanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2009, 09:49   #18
jaromanda
Forum King

In DNAS, you can specify which interface the Src or Dest binds to ( SrcIP= DestIP= ) ... there doesn't seem to be any equivalent in sc_trans for admin and djports

see, I have a server with ports 8010 - 8013 open for 2 x DNAS

the thinking was ... I'd set the SrcIP=127.0.0.1 for the 2 x DNAS (seeing as sc-trans on the same server is going to be feeding them), and then, I'd have ports 8011 and 8013 available for sc_trans

unfortunately, I get msg:API server startup error. Could not bind to :8013 because Address already in use

also, when choosing a djport, even though technically only the port+1 needs to be opened, both port and port+1 are opened by sc_trans

Old 5th February 2009, 13:28   #19
nradisch

Interface binding is missing. I'll add that at some point in the future.

for dj's both ports need to be open. One is for the stream, the other is for the metadata updates. This is the same for any broadcaster scenario.

--Neil
Old 5th February 2009, 18:50   #20
nradisch

bigmacdaddy:

Turn on the djdebug flag in your conf file. That will put extra information in the logs to diagnose the problem. Then post the log.

--Neil
Old 5th February 2009, 19:04   #21
Jkey
Forum King

sorry neil i deleted his post he said it was resolved and he edited it.

I like cleaning up

Old 5th February 2009, 19:10   #22
nradisch

I was wondering what happened.
Old 5th February 2009, 22:43   #23
jaromanda
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by nradisch
for dj's both ports need to be open. One is for the stream, the other is for the metadata updates. This is the same for any broadcaster scenario.

--Neil
yeah, I knew that, just wondering if you did

ahh well ... have to open up some new ports then

one more thing about the sample testui I noticed - you can't create a new endpoint ... is endpoint creation possible through the API? (I know, I should read the docs) - figured it out

Old 6th February 2009, 05:53   #24
Jkey
Forum King

The binding issue is something i ment to raise with neil months ago but somehow it just simply left my mind.

this is probably because i use sc_trans on a multi ip system running virtual machines,of which sc_trans has its own vm and therefore ip.

my bad !!.

Old 6th February 2009, 19:52   #25
midro

Hello,

i have a question about sc_trans and i have the problem too, i don't know how to set song names in config because title shows like this: artist - album - song i want that: artist - album. What i need to do?
midro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2009, 22:20   #26
fc*uk

As of right now, I don't think there is anything that can be done about changing the title configuration. I believe I read on these boards once from one of the devs that they were working on this or going to be requesting giving it priority again as there seems to be a renewed demand for the feature.
fc*uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2009, 01:27   #27
fc*uk

OMG, double post. I'm so excited!

Anyway, I dunno if you guys care ... I am guessing no considering how the OS is about 9 years old and is no longer supported by just about everyone.

However, sc_trans beta 4 and beta 5 is not compatible on Win2k boxes. I installed beta 5 and got a kernel32.dll error. Rolled back to beta 4 and got the same error. Don't know anything past that. Just wanted to throw that out there in case anyone else has the same idea I did.

I know, I know, who else uses Win2k on a PIII box aside from me and who cares about that crusty old OS anyway?

Anyway, I look forward to using and abusing the beta 5 drop

Good job guys!!!! But next time can't you also make it compatible with DOS 4?
Old 7th February 2009, 02:17   #28
jaromanda
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by fc*uk

I know, I know, who else uses Win2k on a PIII box aside from me and who cares about that crusty old OS anyway?
Actually, I do!! I love crusty old PIII's, I have a 800Mhz PIII running W2K, also my firewall is a PIII 733Mhz and I have a PIII 666Mhz linux server (called "the beast" for obvious reasons) - the point of this seemingly off topic post ...

I stream to 3 servers (plus 1 if I'm doing video) and my poor 3GHz/HT machine doesn't handle the strain of the player software plus the video encoding plus 3 audio encoders too well at times - actually, it DOES handle it, but the CPU heats up, so the fan speeds up, it's a bloody loud fan, and my children run screaming from the room because they think my computers going to take off!

Anyway, I tried running sc_trans on "the beast" to offload a bit of cpu from my broadcast machine - it handles transcoding to 2 servers OK, but the third kind of tips the balance

That's a linux server (no X windows to bog down the CPU) ... I wouldn't even try it on the w2k machine (even with the extra CPU speed)

So, the point ... in general, people use W2K on LOWER spec computers (PIII for example) ... but sc_trans wouldn't run very well in them anyway

Old 7th February 2009, 05:57   #29
Jkey
Forum King

fc*uk ensure you have the correct runtime components installed from the microsoft website.

Im going to dig out my old p3 monster from the basement and give it a try i think

Old 7th February 2009, 17:01   #30
fc*uk

Jkey that's actually something that never crossed my mind when I was playing around with it.

I think the box was pretty much a vanilla Win2k install ...
Old 8th February 2009, 00:33   #31
bored_womble
Winamp's Womble

Bug found, testing so far

if you set encoder to anything but mp3 or aacp sc_trans segfaults. Not really a massive issue except it was really annoying to track down.

I have 40 instances running on a server, transcoding from MP3 to AAC+ seems to be about 35% idle. Source is 128k MP3 to 64k AAC+, however it appears to show 144meg virtualised memory for each sc_trans instance. The server only shows ~ 400meg in use in total, so something screwy somewhere.

Something which I do not understand yet, the calendar.xml file seems to keep getting over written by sc_trans. I have blocked it from doing so, as I want to keep the DJ port and slot open at all times. I am probably doing it wrong ( fair play quite complex out the box ), so pointers appreciated.

BW

Without open minds the world will die. Open yours and correct the mistakes you are making right now.
bored_womble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2009, 15:32   #32
nradisch

bored_womble:
The segfault definitely sounds like a bug. Probably an exception is being thrown and not caught. I'll fix it, but until then heed the old doctor joke and "... don't do that."

The virtual memory thing is an interesting subject. The OS is allocating a default amount of virtual memory for each thread. This virtual memory is for stack and local variable space. The memory, being virtual, is not actually allocated unless it's used. So, for example, a thread may get a 10meg virtual allocation, but if it only uses 1meg of stack, then you'll only see 1meg in use, but you'll see 10meg virtual.

The amount of memory set aside for threads is tunable in two different ways. First, there's a kernel setting that determines the default virtual memory allocation per thread. Second, the program itself can request specific sizes. I've been hesitant to override the system default, because that would require a memory usage analysis that I have neither the time nor resources to implement. If the numbers you're seeing bug you, you could change the kernel setting to something more reasonable. Sounds like the default on your system is roughly 10MB per thread. If I had to guess, I'd say 2MB is enough... but that's just a guess. The consequences of setting the number too low will be a crash at some random moment in time.

The calendar.xml file is read and managed by sc_trans. On exiting, sc_trans will write out a new calendar file to reflect changes that occured via the Ajax API. There's a conf file option to stop sc_trans from rewriting the calendar file on exit.

If, however, all you want to do is keep the DJ port open for all time, the rewrite of the calendar xml file should'nt be a problem. You should get a logically equivalent file written out unless you change something via the API. The only instance I can think of that would cause the calendar file to get modified without touching the Ajax API is if there are invalid entries in the file. Invalid, in this case, is somewhat broad in scope. For example, if you have a DJ event, but the DJ doesn't exist in the conf file, sc_trans will remove the DJ event. Some for scheduled playlists.

You can turn on the calendar debugging option to see what sc_trans is thinking.

--Neil
Old 11th February 2009, 18:32   #33
Chybeck

PHP Code:
webradio@chybeck:~/shoutcast$ ./sc_trans sc_trans.conf Inconsistency detected by ld.sodl-version.c230_dl_check_map_versionsAssertion `needed != ((void *)0)' failed! 
?! ^^

Linux version 2.6.24.2-xxxx-std-ipv4-32 (root@kernel-32.ovh.net) (gcc version 3.3.5 (Debian 1:3.3.5-13)) #4 SMP Wed Feb 13 16:50:04 CET 2008
Chybeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2009, 19:00   #34
Jkey
Forum King

please post the output of the following
uname -a
dpkg -l | grep libc

[edit]i am an ass you did already[/edit]

Old 11th February 2009, 19:16   #35
Jkey
Forum King

upgrade your version of gcc
An OS reinstall is probably quicker and much easyier
with ovh servers .

sc_trans works fine on my debian ovh dev server.

Old 11th February 2009, 19:32   #36
Chybeck

Already made an apt-get update , upgrade and dist-upgrade .

PHP Code:
chybeck:/home/webradio/shoutcast# gcc --version
gcc (GCC4.1.2 20061115 (prerelease) (Debian 4.1.1-21)
Copyright (C2006 Free Software FoundationInc.
This is free softwaresee the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
warranty
not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE
Old 11th February 2009, 19:36   #37
nradisch

ldd sc_trans

might offer some useful information about runtime loading.

--Neil
Old 11th February 2009, 19:38   #38
Chybeck

PHP Code:
chybeck:/home/webradio/shoutcast# ldd sc_trans_8000
Inconsistency detected by ld.sodl-version.c230_dl_check_map_versionsAssertion `needed != ((void *)0)' failed! 
Old 11th February 2009, 19:41   #39
nradisch

Something is very bad. That assert is coming from the runtime loader itself.

--Neil
Old 11th February 2009, 21:07   #40
Chybeck

Solved by unziping it directly on the server
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Discussions