Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Wishlist

Old 21st December 2010, 10:11   #1
goorambatman

Winamp Cover Art Downloader Is Terrible & Needs Improving

The Winamp Cover Art Downloader is terrible.

1. When it searches it uses the "album artist" tag instead of the Artist tag from the music file. It should use the Artist tag as it's more accurate and reliable.

2. It can't embed the album art into the files. For example MP3 Files can have the image file for album art embedded into them which is what many people prefer.

3. Album Art Downloader can not be used to select multiple songs to find and download album art for. I like the Auto-Tag feature because you can select multiple songs to process for tagging. The Album art downloader should function in a similar way.

4. What source does Album art downloader use to find and download album art? It's good but not great. I see some of the software that is designed for this uses Amazon or google to find and download album art. It would be a good idea to allow the user to select the source or preferred source for sourcing album art.

5. It's nuts that Winamp have not improved this area of winamp! First of all there is NO decent software that automatically finds, downloads and embeds album art for Windows and non iTunes people. A program called Album Cover Art Downloader was the best but doesn't work any more and is full of bugs. The developer seems to have no interest in continuing it. All the other programs are crappy iTunes plug-ins, don't support Windows, don't embed Album Art, are buggy or don't process multiple songs and require too much manual work.

6. It's obvious that if this feature of winamp was improved people would flock to Winamp because it would be the only decent tool out there that can do this. If it was the best program at finding, downloading and embedding album art quickly with minimal manual work and for multiple songs people would download and use Winamp purely to use it for this purpose. It's already a fantastic auto-tagging tool, Media organising tool and playing tool. It just needs to be made a better album art tool and it will be well on it's way to being the ultimate music media tool.

Why has this not been upgraded? Why is the album art too so far behind the rest of winamp and the user's needs? Is this going to get the upgrade it desperately needs?
goorambatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2010, 18:58   #2
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

2. As you point out - SOME people like embedded art. Whereas many of us prefer the ONE copy of the image in the folder. Saves on disk space, and weird people like me don't like music programs constantly messing with the tracks. Any Embedded request would need to be optional - like the track ratings are.

3. But it DOES work for multiple tracks. You only need to put the art in for ONE track of the album for all of the other tracks to pick up that same artwork.

4. You are looking at an old routine that predates Amazon and Google. Personally, I let Winamp look on its own first. Then I will use my own web browser to search Amazon\Google Images\Wikipedia. Don't forget that Winamp would need to pay a licence to nick Amazon artwork, and there would be some questionable issues about grabbing images from Google Images. Their current source won't have the licence issues.

5. The point you are making is back to front. Only Apple iTunes embeds the artwork because of its crappy little iPod wanting to do things differently.

The reason your old favourite "Album Cover Art Downloader" stopped working was probably because of the amount of work creating software is, and no one wants to pay for software now. So why would he bother to keep development up?

IMHO - Winamp does a pretty good job of the artwork. Especially as there are simple ways of loading your own art. And the VERY handy "Paste Artwork" button. This gives a lot of flexibilty. And when artwork is not embedded, I can choose up upgrade the image just by swapping a single JPG.

That is the fun of Personal Opinions - we all hold different ones.
Batter Pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2010, 02:15   #3
Bilbo9955

Album Art Downloader has now become Album Art Downloader XUI. Info can be found at:

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/...opic=57392&hl=

It has scripts the look at 40-50 sites for art all over the world.. It will do all you want and much more.
Bilbo9955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2010, 02:27   #4
goorambatman

1. Agree 100%. Winamp should not edit music files unless it is asked to. Also the new Album Art too I have proposed must be customizable. The user ust have the option to either embed the album art or do what winamp currently does and that is place the .jpg in the folder.

2. Yeah it can work for all tracks from 1 album unless you have a collection of singles from many various albums. Again it all depends how you organise your music collection.

4. Yeah I do the same. I allow Winamp to look for the art on it's own. While there are plenty of ocasions where it comes up with no result it is accurate. Yeah I wondered about the licensing issues with amazon. An option to use google or yahoo if Winamp's current source came up with no results would be good. Like in auto tag it would be good to be able to check the boxes and click apply album art to all correct results.

5. Not sure how this is back to front. It's fact. After searching the web this is what all the album art tools are except for album art downloader which is buggy but was great when it worked on my old PC.

You're probably right about the reason Album Art Downloader and why it was discontinued.

I think Winamp's album art work tool is ok but it doesn't fit my needs. If it was highly customizable and you were able to select many tracks at once and have it process multiple tracks instead of having to select view 'file info', then going to the artwork tab then going to the download art button for every individual song to search for art work it would be better. I'd like it to be more customizable to fit all users needs. I'd like it to be able to process many tracks and display results and allow the user to chose to use them like Auto-Tag does.

I'd call it a very basic tool at the moment. I'd like it to be more advanced and powerful with more capabilities and options.
Old 22nd December 2010, 02:30   #5
goorambatman

Thanks Bilbo, I was actually talking about Album Cover Art Downloader. My mistake. Any way I will check that out and see how I go.
Old 23rd December 2010, 16:21   #6
Alpha2k6

I actually prefer to have a file in the folder..

Folder:
The Connells - '74 - '75 (CDS 1994)

Art files:
folder.jpg
The Connells - '74 - '75 (CDS 1994)-back.jpg
The Connells - '74 - '75 (CDS 1994)-front.jpg

folder.jpg is only neccecary because winamp won't find the other one

perhaps im a little off-topic since ive never tried the autodownloader ^^
prefer too look at each file and get as good ones as possible
preferably have the physical cd nearby to compare colors

but well if someone where to do something wich would recognize my files without having to make a folder.jpg dupe file well that would be very nice
Alpha2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2010, 16:33   #7
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

@Alpha2k6: I have seen the order written in this forum somewhere. Winamp checks embedded, Album-Name.jpg and then folder.jpg (Or something like that - I'll update this post if I can find the correct list)

Winamp when adding artwork creates its art in the foldername.jpg style. So instead of naming your front cover with the "-front", just leave that extension off and you are good to go.

\The Band\The Album\The Album.jpg

Or in your example: \The Connells\'74 - '75 (CDS 1994)\'74 - '75 (CDS 1994).jpg
Old 23rd December 2010, 16:42   #8
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Found it... from DJ Egg himself:

For local media files, the art file needs to be in the same folder where the music files are.

So if, eg. there's a folder "C:\Music\Pink Floyd\Animals" containing the music files from that album,
then Winamp will automatically recognize and load the art if there's an image file in that same folder with any of the following filenames:

Animals.jpg
Animals.png
Animals.gif
Animals.bmp
(i.e. where Animals is the exact %AlbumName% in the tags)
front.jpg (or .png/.gif/.bmp)
cover.jpg
folder.jpg

So, following from that example, folder.jpg is last on the list. And I am not sure where the Embedded artwork option would slot in there.
Old 24th December 2010, 15:43   #9
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
winamp, i believe, like most apps will use the embedded art FIRST, then folder art.

winamp will NOT let you embed art, but WILL let you delete embedded art.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goorambatman View Post
The Winamp Cover Art Downloader is terrible.
true.

Quote:
1. When it searches it uses the "album artist" tag instead of the Artist tag from the music file. It should use the Artist tag as it's more accurate and reliable.
false. what good would that be on compilations, soundtracks, etc? of course, winamp doesn't work for those as is, but still.

Quote:
2. It can't embed the album art into the files. For example MP3 Files can have the image file for album art embedded into them which is what many people prefer.
true, although i don't embed.

Quote:
3. Album Art Downloader can not be used to select multiple songs to find and download album art for. I like the Auto-Tag feature because you can select multiple songs to process for tagging. The Album art downloader should function in a similar way.
it can, in that if you have an album art view that has no art, (llama icon) you right click, get art, and then if it finds it it puts it in the folder, and that applies to all tracks in the folder.

Quote:
4. What source does Album art downloader use to find and download album art? It's good but not great. I see some of the software that is designed for this uses Amazon or google to find and download album art. It would be a good idea to allow the user to select the source or preferred source for sourcing album art.
it uses AMG, aka allmusic.com

Quote:
5. It's nuts that Winamp have not improved this area of winamp! First of all there is NO decent software that automatically finds, downloads and embeds album art for Windows and non iTunes people. A program called Album Cover Art Downloader was the best but doesn't work any more and is full of bugs. The developer seems to have no interest in continuing it. All the other programs are crappy iTunes plug-ins, don't support Windows, don't embed Album Art, are buggy or don't process multiple songs and require too much manual work.
the best way to get art is when you rip a cd, make sure its right at rip time. i use the new EAC to rip, and it now has an EXCELLENT art grabbing feature.

you might want to play around with mp3tag.de b/c it has multiple tag sources, (which i think can include art), AND it can use folder or embed art.

Quote:
6. It's obvious that if this feature of winamp was improved people would flock to Winamp because it would be the only decent tool out there that can do this. If it was the best program at finding, downloading and embedding album art quickly with minimal manual work and for multiple songs people would download and use Winamp purely to use it for this purpose. It's already a fantastic auto-tagging tool, Media organising tool and playing tool. It just needs to be made a better album art tool and it will be well on it's way to being the ultimate music media tool.

Why has this not been upgraded? Why is the album art too so far behind the rest of winamp and the user's needs? Is this going to get the upgrade it desperately needs?
b/c it isn't easy is probably why it hasn't been done yet. art is a tricky business, b/c its hard to get all the possible permutations into an elegant interface. size, ratio, folder/embed, etc... winamp wants the user exp to be intuitive and streamlined, and it will take work to do that for tricky things like art. also, its a lot harder to match a picture file to an album, b/c thats not an exact science either.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2010, 09:58   #10
goorambatman

Originally Posted by goorambatman

false. what good would that be on compilations, soundtracks, etc? of course, winamp doesn't work for those as is, but still.

Winam's auto tag often puts "Various Artist" for the Album Artist when it's a compilation. Album Art Downloader will not come up with any results for "Various Artist". With the artist of the particular song selected there is a greater chace of coming up with a result.

Quote:

true, although i don't embed.

Many don't embed but many do. I don't organise music by folders. I also use an iPod. Having the art work embedded is convienent for me. But there must be an option for users on how to store art work. File size is not really an issue for me so I don't mind having every song embedded.

Quote:

it can, in that if you have an album art view that has no art, (llama icon) you right click, get art, and then if it finds it it puts it in the folder, and that applies to all tracks in the folder.

What about in the "Winamp Modern" skin?

Quote:

it uses AMG, aka allmusic.com

good to know.

Quote:

the best way to get art is when you rip a cd, make sure its right at rip time. i use the new EAC to rip, and it now has an EXCELLENT art grabbing feature.

you might want to play around with mp3tag.de b/c it has multiple tag sources, (which i think can include art), AND it can use folder or embed art.

Thanks, I will.

Quote:

b/c it isn't easy is probably why it hasn't been done yet. art is a tricky business, b/c its hard to get all the possible permutations into an elegant interface. size, ratio, folder/embed, etc... winamp wants the user exp to be intuitive and streamlined, and it will take work to do that for tricky things like art. also, its a lot harder to match a picture file to an album, b/c thats not an exact science either.

True but they have already done half the work with their current tool. It would basically be an upgrade with some improvements to that right. I'm sure the Winamp programmers can do it and I'm sure they have done harder things.
Old 6th January 2011, 07:58   #11
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
Quote:

Winam's auto tag often puts "Various Artist" for the Album Artist when it's a compilation. Album Art Downloader will not come up with any results for "Various Artist". With the artist of the particular song selected there is a greater chace of coming up with a result.
the idea is to fix it so it DOES work using "Various Artist" like other apps such as WMP do when getting AMG art. thats better than some kludge fix.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Wishlist