Old 15th April 2011, 09:46   #1
stgrhe

How do I transfer winamp music files to second computer?

I am about to replace my old computer and have already transferred all windows music files from my current computer to the new one.

My question is how do I transfer all corresponding winamp music files and favorite lists to the new computer?

Thanks!
stgrhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2011, 21:50   #2
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Your music files are wherever you have kept them on the old PC. Often My Music. You need to move this music separately.

Winamp just acts as a catalog to look after and organise your tracks. The Media Library it builds is stored in %appdata%\winamp\. The easiest way of transferring this is to find Koopla's Winamp Backup Tool to transfer that database, playlists, etc.
Batter Pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2011, 01:41   #3
stgrhe

Thanks for the reply. The music files has actually been already copied to the new computer, but what I really wanted was to find a way to copy the Winamp play lists without having to load the music again.

Is the Koopla a plug-in or a separate tool?
Old 16th April 2011, 09:49   #4
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Separate tool. http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=317153

Lets you choose what to backup and transfer.
Old 17th April 2011, 02:18   #5
stgrhe

Thanks again!

I downloaded the tool and it worked as a back-up and restore for the old computer, but not for transfer to the new computer, probably because the user names are not the same. Hence when trying to load the file the tool say is it an invalid path.
Old 17th April 2011, 12:18   #6
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Hunt down Koopa and ask his advice as he created the tool. He would know how to adjust the settings for the new location. Try posting in that thread. I expect there is a simple ini file to edit. Or you'll find the files restore to the "old" path on your new PC and all you need do is copy them across.

I would expect he'd be keen to add a "move to new computer" tweak to his tool.
Old 22nd April 2011, 22:58   #7
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Well it was never planned, that the tool is able to transfer settings to another computer.

Currently, it's nothing more than a nice side effect, which some people figured out. I was surprised, that people used the tool for such things.

You can use the tool to transfer data to another PC, as long as you observe the golden rules:

1. since we only have one input field for the path, you must use the same folder for restoration, which was used for backup.

E.g. you've saved your backed up data to C:\MyBackup, then you must 'Restore' the data on the other PC to the same folder as well.

2. if some locations are different on the other PC, e.g. on your old System was 'C:\My Music\' set as directory for your local media library database and on the other system it will be 'D:\Music', then many parts of your library are obsolete and you must do a rescan.
There is nothing, which could be done about it, because Winamp's library database only uses absolute paths.

If you get a message, that the path was invalid, this can be because:

- For Backup Mode you've entered an invalid path (a non existing drive, the path has invalid chars, like §, or it doesn't start with a valid drive letter like C:\)
- For Restoration Mode it's can be the same like above, additionally the tool checks for an integrity on restoration. The integrity file is a file, which makes sure, that you really restore the files from a directory, which contains valid backup data. The integrity system was needed, because the tool acted weird, if you tried to restore files from an invalid directory.

Since a lot of people would like to see a real 'transfer my settings' option, I'll implement it in future. But it requires some significant code changes and my time is limited, so I cannot say, when it will be done.
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2011, 16:27   #8
Bilbo9955

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koopa View Post
Since a lot of people would like to see a real 'transfer my settings' option, I'll implement it in future. But it requires some significant code changes and my time is limited, so I cannot say, when it will be done.
Do you have any idea when this will be ready? I will need to do a transfer soon and would like to know if I should wait for your update.

You did a great job on this! Keep up the good work!
Bilbo9955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support