Good God, you guys are filthy.

This is a sig of some nature.
Psythik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2012, 03:18   #42
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
The dust thread gets worse! I found an old electric-heated oil room heater that I used to use a long time ago. I plugged it in to test it; and it started to stink, plus one of the two original switches was broke. I replaced the switch in a rig-up way, and that was good, but here's what I found when opening it up:

Obviously this isn't something I want to make pretty, but I at least cleaned it out and rigged up a new switch. Instead of 2 switches, I just ganged up the two levels of power into one switch so that it was 1500W or off. I always ran it that way in the past anyway. I was still able to run the wiring through the thermostat, and it still works. The heater is all better now and in functioning/safe condition. I'll be using it in the basement when I'm working on some painting projects where keeping a consistent temperature is important (there's a dehumidifier there too for the same reason). Here's the replacement switch if you're interested (again, not pretty, but safe and functional):

Don't forget to live before you die.
swingdjted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2012, 06:54   #43
mike-db
Pancakes!
(Major Dude)

Send a message via ICQ to mike-db
Full power!

SEX APPEAL UP IN HERE!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
mike-db is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2012, 03:00   #44
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

I opened my case again and took the fan off my heat-sink for the CPU. This case has filters on every intake which are vacuumed about once every two weeks, but the very fine dust still sneaks through and accumulates inside. What's worse is that very fine dust takes a lot more effort to clean than the regular, more coarse dust that you would see anywhere else. It cements itself on there and needs to be vigorously brushed loose before it can be sucked out. Canned air does nothing to loosen it up. I only have to do this maybe twice a year though.

As for NJK's suggestion and the cocaine comment...

Old 14th March 2013, 21:14   #45
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Not all dust, but this is what was found on a routine checkup of my dad's car's cabin air filter. Apparently a mouse had found its way into the duct work for the heating and air conditioning system and built a nest out of facial tissues, cardboard shreds, and nut shells. It cost around $168 to clean it up, give an oil change, and rotate tires.

Old 20th December 2013, 08:37   #46
thinktink
Forum King

Send a message via Skype™ to thinktink
I win...

...still.
thinktink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2013, 09:07   #47
Omit Name
mostly harmless
Major Dude

yes. it doesnt even make good sense how something can get that dusty. the controller image

heh.

Omit Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2013, 18:12   #48
Vie
Forum King

Location: Thoron fields and Duranium shadows. Posts: Crap mostly
I suddenly feel much better about the level of dust on my computer...

Member most in need of SpellCheck Lifetime Achievement Award

I'm a Twitch Streamer these days, it's weird.
Vie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2013, 22:11   #49
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Thank you for reviving this. I had a lot of laughs reading and writing this!

*bows before the winner thinktink*

Old 8th January 2014, 07:13   #50
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

New entry - my wife's old treadmill's interior the night it died about a month ago:

Believe it or not, the exterior was quite clean. It turned out to be spent brushes in the motor that killed it, not the dust. The motor was no longer available to replace, and the brushes weren't available in that size, so we had to get a new treadmill.

I will be selling the old one's steel and copper for scrap in addition to using the belt for a lot of other random purposes, so not a total loss.

Old 8th January 2014, 12:35   #51
iomegajaz
Balled and Chained
Alumni

Ted, I love and am inspired by what you do with stuff, especially the fact that said stuff is rarely wasted or simply thrown away.

"My heart hates uggos." –J.D.
iomegajaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2014, 15:02   #52
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

So many dust on these photos... A nightmare...

I remember, when I was much younger. I lived in the leased apartment of my parents, before Frank and I had married. I had cleaned the apartment every week. In the university I talked with a man, I said: "I have to clean everything regularly, because the equipment must last forever.", but he said: "No, the things don't need to last forever, just as long as the person himself lives. After the death everything is thrown on the garbage anyway." Also the hifi systems and TV, the old wall clocks and all the old crockery?...

My father had bought the hifi systems 1979/1980, they were in use for 32 years. A new TV had been bought 2 times, and the last TV wasn't very old. June 2012 suddenly there was a fire in the old apartment, the soot from the fire moved into all devices, also into the hifi systems & TV. The man in the service shop said: "A new TV is much cheaper than repairing the old TV, and it's too dangerous to use a TV, which is full with soot." I had to chose between 2 different new TVs in the internet, and I decided for one, then the supervisor of my mother bought the new TV for her. She was forced to move into a nursing home, the old apartment had to be dispelled immediately. I had to give away the keys, before I was able to take further things with me, and everything was thrown on the garbage...

The dust itself is very annoying, but the soot from a fire is much worse...

Sabine Klare Aka Sternenmaschinebine
Music, Art, Lyrics, Videos
AMBIENT... AMBIENT music forever...
Sabine Klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2014, 17:44   #53
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Thanks for the comment Jaz; sometimes I feel like it's a bit too obsessive/compulsive when I see other people telling me to just throw stuff away and not worry about it. I find it fun to take things apart and figure out what makes them run or in this case what made it stop running. Also, I also find it a lot of fun to go to the scrap yard, and they do give you some money if you have enough junk. Re-using and recycling can be profitable in addition to being a reduction in waste. I even re-use water and soda bottles. They cost too much to buy new all the time if you ask me.

As for old TVs, I don't mind taking the back cover off and blasting with the air compressor hose every once in a while, but I forgot to do that with this treadmill, not that it would have helped. I don't know if a good compressor blast would have helped with the fire soot or not. It might be one of those situations where you have to do it before trying to turn it on for the first time after. Plus, older TVs can be dangerous to mess with, since there's harmful gasses in the tube in addition to sometimes large amounts of energy stored in the capacitors.

Old 8th January 2014, 18:05   #54
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

It was already a TV with LCD, which got the fire soot inside. And although my brother in law said: "Why should this TV be thrown on the garbage? It works!", the supervisor said: "No, at first this TV has to be brought to the service shop and it has to be checked there, before it can be used again!". This TV was never used again, my mother got a new one.

Also for Electronic Musicians with own music studios a fire would be a nightmare, because the fire soot would go into all their studio equipment. Also if the master-recordings wouldn't have been destroyed, the studio equipment could never be used again after a fire.

Oh no and yes, the people in the computer service shop have said, that each computer has to be brought every 6 months, because so many dust comes into the towers. They have an air compressor. Or can an air compressor be bought and used on the balcoon? Could I myself open a tower?...

Old 8th January 2014, 19:56   #55
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

You could buy an air compressor if you want, which is normally used to either run power tools or fill vehicle tires, or if you want to spend a lot less, you can buy canned pressurized air. Opening a computer tower isn't a problem if you unplug it first and make sure you don't move anything inside (unless you're familiar with computer parts).

http://www.amazon.com/b?node=3012916011

Old 11th January 2014, 17:48   #56
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

I had opened the video recorder a few times (many years ago), after I had unplugged them at first. For 1 video recorder I wasn't able anymore to do something. The video recorder had gone suddenly and unexpectedly broken (after 8 years), the area near the power supply inside was completely black. At least the video recorder didn't begin to burn. It had been very expensive, when I had bought it (1993).

I have unplugged also the computer towers many times after turning them off, before I brought them to the service shop. Recently I had to replace the monitor for Frank's PC, after it had died totally.

In the service shop they have a very heavy air compressor near the door. I saw it already in action...

Old 27th March 2014, 20:27   #57
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

I wanted to post already yesterday. I am doing that now.

The Spring has come, many people are awakened from "hibernation", and they are starting to clean up their whole house or apartment, they want their home get ready beautiful again. It is "Der Grosse Frühjahrsputz". Google is not able to translate the word "frühjahrsputz", but more hours of work at home are invested than normally, and this week I have less time for my PC.

I have a question now: Who has invented the dust? The dust is a very stupid invention. A world without dust would leave more free time for us, of course...

Old 27th March 2014, 22:01   #58
iomegajaz
Balled and Chained
Alumni

Maybe "der frühling reinigen" / Spring Clean.

"My heart hates uggos." –J.D.
iomegajaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2014, 22:08   #59
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

"der frühling reinigen" / Spring Clean... I will remember that. Thank You...

Old 27th March 2014, 23:08   #60
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

I just bought a high-end wet/dry vacuum and a lot of accessories for it. Dusting is now quite easy. I used to use a brush attachment for my upright vacuum's hose, but it wasn't exactly doing a perfect job. This new one is 6.5 horsepower. It gets all the dust even if the hose end isn't all that close to it.

Because of my tendencies to get allergy problems, I went ahead and got a set of dust bags and a HEPA filter. This makes it safe to work with allergens and even chipped lead paint (if I wear a special mask when loosening it).

Old 28th March 2014, 11:03   #61
ujay
Forum King

Canned air can be quite wet, so turn the can upside down and give it a quick squirt before you start, to blow out any water.

When I was truck driving, first job every morning was to blow the water out of your air brakes.

UJ
ujay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2014, 15:41   #62
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

Yesterday, after using again the broom and shovel waste at home, I have posted a status in Facebook:

"Der Staub, der Staub... Viel lieber ist mir im Wald der Laub... Besser als Staub..."

The Google Translator gave me this result:

"The dust, the dust ... It is much better for me in the forest of deciduous ... Better than dust ..."

In Germany we love that, if the poems rhyme. In the English Translation it isn't possible now, but it was a spontaneous idea to make my posting in Facebook after my latest fight against the dust...

Old 16th May 2014, 14:18   #63
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

It is allergy season here. Today I will be given a test to see what I am allergic to. This means I will probably get anywhere between 50 and 200 needles stuck in me for small under-skin injections. Then I have to wait for a while, after which the doctor will check to see which items reacted. This will tell the doctor what I am allergic to. After that they will likely create a liquid that will need to be injected into me weekly to build up my immunity to the things I am allergic to. I am not looking forward to it, but hopefully overall it will help.

Dust will probably be the biggest reactant when they test me.

Old 16th May 2014, 17:29   #64
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

Autumn 1983 and Spring 1995 I had experienced the same procedure, and 1995 we had still our first 2 female cats. I didn't have a cat hair allergy, but they had tested me especially for that. Why do the doctors and assistants have such prejudices against birds, cats, rabbits, guinea pigs and other pets? I know, that many doctors are very conservative.

I wish You good luck, Ted...

Old 17th May 2014, 03:22   #65
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

The results of the test are in.

Dust mites came in second place, and yet I am still very allergic to it.

First place, being the thing I am most allergic to, is plantain weed, which as my luck would have it, is EVERYWHERE I GO. You can't go anywhere other than maybe Antarctica without seeing it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plantago_major

I am also allergic to cats, 7 types of grasses, 5 other types of weeds, and 2 types of ragweed. Oddly enough I did not test positive for pollens, trees, fungi, molds, or other animals/bugs.

I have been told to do a shitload of cleaning and some alterations to my house and have been given prescription strength nasal spray to be used twice a day. If, after a month, this doesn't seem to help, I may have to start getting weekly injections.

Old 18th May 2014, 05:40   #66
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

Oh no... I hope, You will not need the weekly injections soon.

I myself have also learned to know some people, with one of them I am still in contact. In the Nineties some people had problems, when they had visited us. They had a cat hair allergy. March 2012 our last cat had died, and February 2013 suddenly the female manager for all houses had sent an angry letter to all tenants, and she had prohibited the pets in the leased apartments, although in the lease agreement contracts they were allowed. Since many months I didn't see a dog in the 4 houses anymore.

Until 1981 we had a nasty female landlord, who had prohibited all pets, she had tolerated only the birds. After one of the 2 budgies had died, my father brought another budgie home some months later. His female teacher-colleague had contact to another family, and the previous owner, a child, had to give away this budgie, because the doctors had diagnosed an allergy.

It is once again the season, where I have to remove the pollen on the balcony furniture every day...

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions