Old 3rd November 2015, 15:09   #1
darryl505

Usiing Winnamp Encoder instead of SAM Broadcaster

Hey All,

Just wanted to throw my problem out to see if anyone had a solution. One of my stations is a talk station and we have live and pre recording programming. I use BOTH Winnamp radio scheduler and SAM. My live hosts connect to the broadcast computer via skype and broadcast live. This is where SAM is critical because the playlist has an option for a file that streams whatever is broadcasting over the sound card.. And I can add that to the playlist and give it metadata info etc.

Ive been wanting to just switch to Winnamp encoder for a while because SAM KEEPS crashing. Does anyone know how i would mimic this in winnamp? Someone told me that Winnamp has a way to add a file to a playlist that essentially will allow whatever is coming from the sound card to stream out. Right now i dont know how do do this and would it show Metadata as well?

Ive seen all the alternatives for SAM but they are best with music.. i dont see any that will go from a mp3 playlist to one that plays from the soundcard.

Thanks
darryl505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2015, 15:11   #2
DJ-Garybaldy
Major Dude

You have a few options....

RadioDJ RadioBoss etc...

RadioDJ is what i use and have done for 5 years since I ditched SAM because it wasn't working as it should (Just wouldn't play music as well as random crashes).

RadioDJ is a totally free program as well. There are tutorials on how to install it on my blog.

You can find a download of RadioDj on my blog or http://radiodj.ro

USER of RadioDJ since 2010

Online: Twitter - Blog - RadioDJ
DJ-Garybaldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2015, 21:32   #3
darryl505

Thank you so much for this response. Couple quick questions.

I can totally automate a playlist with Radio DJ meaning mp3 files sometimes.. and then on a schedule it will open up to play from the soundcard for an hour.. and then the playist starts again on a schedule?

And does all files have metadata ?

Darryl
Old 4th November 2015, 08:04   #4
DJ-Garybaldy
Major Dude

Quote:
I can totally automate a playlist with Radio DJ meaning mp3 files sometimes.. and then on a schedule it will open up to play from the soundcard for an hour.. and then the playist starts again on a schedule?
Yes you can trigger a Line In input via an event at a set time to mute/unmute the line in. You can also program a playlist to load at top/bottom the queue via an event using .m3u or database playlists.

Then you would just use another event to start playing the next track when you've finished with the line in feed.

Have a play about with Events & it see if it does what you need it to. If you really get stuck the RadioDJ forums are where your better off asking for help.

http://www.radiodj.ro/community/index.php

Old 4th November 2015, 14:32   #5
darryl505

Thank you so much for this.. I did a little research and I see that i have to install a msql on the computer for the database to work. Thats just a BIT over my head but im gonna try this.. Ive been using SAM for maybe 8 years and its a constant headache .. CONSTANT
Old 4th November 2015, 15:06   #6
DJ-Garybaldy
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl505 View Post
Thank you so much for this.. I did a little research and I see that i have to install a msql on the computer for the database to work. Thats just a BIT over my head but im gonna try this.. Ive been using SAM for maybe 8 years and its a constant headache .. CONSTANT
Setting up an SQL server need NOT be difficult http://djgarybaldy.co.uk/maria-db-radiodj/

I'm guessing you've never had SQL installed and that you've been using Firebird??

Firebird is worse than SAM's MySQL database.

Yes RadioDJ needs a database and it's pretty stable compared to SAM I haven't had to rebuild my database in well over a year. I do daily database backup which RDJ has a tool to do it for you.

Read a few tutorials search Google. the answers are out there.

Like everything new you have to take a leap of faith and just try stuff.

Old 4th November 2015, 16:53   #7
darryl505

ur absolutely right about everything you just said.. and yup i was using that firebird database in sam and it always crashes lol
Old 13th January 2016, 20:00   #8
darryl505

Gary, it took a while but i FINALLY DID IT . i had to buy a new machine first.
I was able to install everything but i cant find the basic tutorials on how to work the program .
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Technical Support