Old 8th December 2010, 06:20   #1
Julza84

Winamp party lock

hey guys just a suggestion, i love using winamp for party playlists how ever we always have the issue of drunk friends changing and ending songs early or resetting the playlist.

how about a lock system that the owner of the comp turns on at the start of the playlist and if anyone tries to change song or skip past a few a password box ( that u have already thought of ) propmts you and u cant use winamp at all till its been entered.

just a thought
Julza84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2010, 01:51   #2
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
thats a good idea, and in addition to that i think i have seen requests for a ML lock as well, so people couldn't edit in the ML or delete files from it, etc...

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2010, 04:21   #3
Bilbo9955

You could always use screensaver mode with password protection.
Bilbo9955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2010, 20:13   #4
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Buy a wireless keyboard and mouse. Remove batteries and keep in pocket.
Batter Pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2010, 20:19   #5
MrSinatra
Forum King

kinda missing the point. you may WANT to allow access to certain parts of winamp, but restrict access/control on others.

--
Old 11th December 2010, 20:31   #6
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Okay, invert the question. What would you want give the guests permission to do?

Walking around with the wireless mouse in your pocket would give you full control while still having the PC screen visible for the winamp visuals.

Or are you thinking "Jukebox" style? Allowing adding to a playlist.
Old 11th December 2010, 20:35   #7
MrSinatra
Forum King

certainly one possibility, or even just browsing the ML itself.

it doesn't have to be a party. you might want to let people fool around with winamp, but keep them from doing something stupid, like deleting files or editing data.

--
Old 11th December 2010, 20:48   #8
DrO

one option would be to setup the Winamp install as wanted and then write-protect the settings folder. then you could go in and make a custom language pack to edit / remove certain menu items and keyboard accelerators to prevent access to actions which allow for files to be removed.

however the main issue here is that if people are accessing the machine then doing things to Winamp isn't the only area of concern unless you start looking to limit access in the user account and all that fun.

the other way i suppose is with an app that interfaces with Winamp (am sure there's ones which have already been done to do just this) and that prevents access to what shouldn't be touched. but really is Winamp even a suitable solution for what sounds like a kiosk setup?

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2010, 20:59   #9
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

I prevent people deleting or editing the files by having them on a read-only server.

Maybe use a sacrificial laptop to control Winamp? Nothing to delete.

I am still not sure what you would want your guests to "fool around in winamp". There are a lot of settings to also mess up. This is why I was trying to get you to think through what you would actually want to let the guests do.

Some wireless keyboard\mouse sets include remote controls. Or separate numeric keypads. One of these could be mapped to keyboard shortcuts for DrO's "limited interface" suggestion.

Basically, you need a custom skin for a custom interface. Then just reduce the available buttons and menus to the actions you want your guests to mess with.
Old 11th December 2010, 21:00   #10
MrSinatra
Forum King

sure, you can fool with the OS, set folder/access protections and so on, but that really isn't the answer. neither is messing with how the ini is handled imo.

what i've seen requested over the years, and what i request myself, is a simple toggle, the effects of which are configurable in prefs. imagine clicking the lower left button "library" in bento, and then toggling on a "protected mode."

how that mode works could be configured in prefs, to say allow for browsing the ML or adjusting the playlist but not editing the tags or deleting a song. or maybe you allow volume control, but not player control. or you can add to the playlist but you can't rearrange it. how about keeping them out of prefs? i don't expect it to be fully fleshed out on first go, let its abilities develop over time.

but i don't see why winamp couldn't or shouldn't do this, (its been requested many times over the years, not just this thread), and it really would be useful for many situations, including but not limited to party/kiosk modes.

--
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Wishlist