Old 19th August 2011, 02:37   #1
fc*uk

holy ****ing s**t

I've finally sold my house, moved back to the 70's in the states and gotten internet that is faster than 0.15/0.02 down! My pipe is now 1.2M/128k.

Smokin baby!

This thing has to go too, but at least it is something until I find someone else to give me a real internet connection. My phone pulls faster in other countries than my internet in the US does.

Anyway, if anyone missed me, I'll be around for a bit now.
fc*uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2011, 06:36   #2
rockouthippie
Banned

I like 25/25M fiber optic myself
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2011, 10:32   #3
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

^ I'll talk slowly We Missed Ya'.
Widdykats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2011, 11:52   #4
fc*uk

Sorry Widdy. You are breaking up. What was that again? I only got the first half or so.

ROH: one of these days I will be lucky enough to live in a city that has FiOS ... Right now my only other option appears to be comcast cable. Cable Internet makes me nervous ...

edit
____

For what it is worth, my current service is DSL through ATT. The true problem actually is not ATT (for once). The true problem is the fact that where I currently reside is 16,000 feet from the CO. At this point, no matter what ATT tries to do, my speeds are going to be in the crapper unless they extend the loop or build a CO closer to me; neither of which I expect. However, the tech came out last night and screwed with things for three hours just so they (he) could get me within the stated minimum speeds of my service and bolted five seconds later. Really not his fault either.

I appreciate their effort; they tried and they got me the minimum claimed speed. It's just still too slow. I had a faster line about 8 years ago in Chicago ...

Cable scares me because, from what I can tell, it's still a horror story here. Too many people on a service with too little speed, which makes for shit service during peak hours. Additionally, I can't find minimum claimed speeds anywhere from comcast. I am looking at a 15M/3M service, but that's with speedboost. What happens after the first 5 meg; what are the sustainable speeds on the line?
Old 19th August 2011, 12:40   #5
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

Can ....You ....Hear... Me, Now?
Old 19th August 2011, 12:55   #6
Warrior of the Light
Forum King

Welcome to the internet.
I have a 4/1 Mbit connection now and if all goes as planned we're getting glassfiber here in September. I signed up for a 30/30 connection, it's the same price as what I'm paying for my 4/1 connection now.

Yay!

Jesus loves you [yes, you] so much, he even died for you so that you will not need to die, but live forever
Warrior of the Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2011, 13:00   #7
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

^Oh, sure..Tell him that....he'll feel so much better...
Old 19th August 2011, 16:05   #8
NJK
The Frisian

60/6 cable internet

anything with less upload than 1 isn't even worth looking at.

You have been away a while?
it happens in this time of the year, its called holiday.

Each Thursday a new show on Celtica Radio with Darkwave music.

WINAMPSHOUTCAST
NJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2011, 02:37   #9
fc*uk

Thanks for reminding me about com cast's policies about blocking certain net traffic; I had completely forgotten about all of that. Makes me want to run to them even less now. However, 1.2M/128k from ATT just is not acceptable.

My television if you will is delivered by the internet. At these speeds I can get about a 360p stream without buffering. That just looks terrible on my real television or iMac (which are both 1080p).

Sigh. Verizion needs to get moving on FiOS; catch us up with the rest of the world. How many european countries out there have run fiber? Sweeden, Holland, China ...

Do you folks over in europe have bandwidth caps? Meaning you buy a package that varies on speed and amount downloaded? I've got a 15 gig/mo plan over in Canada. That whole process just seemed backwards to me. Pick a plan in terms of how much you use the internet, which will in turn gage your speed. Just seemed backwards. Clearly with only a 15 gig/mo download, television over there is cable (Rogers, whom in my opinion sucks; their speeds are shit and not even close to advertised ... but then again that's the beauty of cable --- no advertised/guaranteed speeds). Bloody get rich quick scam if I ever saw of one.
Old 20th August 2011, 11:09   #10
Warrior of the Light
Forum King

Download caps ended like 5 years ago. There is a fair use policy now, meaning you shouldn't use your connection (a lot) more than the people around you, or in other words: your behavior shouldn't have consequences for others.

The providers are in the process of forcing download caps for mobile phones.

I tried to translate mine
Quote:
1.1 The End User will in no way restrict or inhibit other end users in their
use of the Internet. Solcon employs a Fair Use Policy to ensure that End Users
hampered by excessive use by a small group of end users. This Fair Use
Policy is specified in Article 5 of this Code.

[snip]

Article 5 Fair Use Policy (FUP)
5.1 Use of the Internet connection is based on the 'Fair Use Policy'.
5.2 The 'Fair Use Policy' means that the amount of data that an End User in a given period
may use freely is not limited to a predetermined value, but that for the
use as norm counts the amount of data that other end users in the same period
have used used on average.
5.3 When using a well above average usage, Solcon informs the End User. The
Solcon end user will be given a reasonable time to take appropriate
measures to get the datatraffic in line with the average use.
5.4 Where an End User within the reasonable period of time does not take steps
against his excessive traffic, or if the measures taken within the
reasonable period have of little or no effect, Solcon reserves the right to deny or to terminate (whether or not
temporarily) the Agreement in accordance with the End User, after the reasonable period of time using the Internet
Contract Terms and Conditions for the supply of services through fiber optic connections.

Jesus loves you [yes, you] so much, he even died for you so that you will not need to die, but live forever
Old 20th August 2011, 23:37   #11
tuckerm
Forum Emo

I better see some better response times with spammers then
tuckerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2011, 01:01   #12
fc*uk

I would love to see something like that over here, wotl. Seems completely fair to me.

I am not too sure about Holland, but in the US people claim that 2% of internet users use 99% of an ISP's bandwidth. For a while, I thought that could not possibly be true; anymore I am not so sure.

I was all defensive about ATT imposing a 2 gb cap for iPhone users. ATT claimed that about 95-98% of their users would not be affected by this cap. I called bullshit. I've been looking at my bills since they imposed this cap (though I still have unlimited with them because I've never changed my contract since ATT stopped offering unlimited). In months like my last when I am living off my phone I will come close to that cap; I won't go over it, I rarely ever do.

Retrospectively, it looks like ATT knew what they were doing all along, which begs the question, why say it's a cap that gets people up in arms? Just say it's fair use ....

Great translation on your terms of service by the way. That could not have been easy
Old 21st August 2011, 10:23   #13
NJK
The Frisian

bandwidth plenty and with new docsis 3.0 speeds could be raised up to 240 down

the only problem most cable internet providers have is the upload.

a fair use policy applies when you have sufficient bandwidth and my ISP has that fair use policy for 6 years already.
In the near furture it will be possible to go over 500 down by pairing up downloadchannels.
next generation cable modems will work with 16 channels ( 30 down max a channel)

Each Thursday a new show on Celtica Radio with Darkwave music.

WINAMPSHOUTCAST
NJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2011, 15:01   #14
Warrior of the Light
Forum King

Rotterdam is working to make 500mbit connections available for home users now and are planning on 1gbit connections. For now, the max is 120/120 in most areas, 200 in some larger cities.

... So how's your house?

Old 23rd August 2011, 01:58   #15
fc*uk

Woohoo!

My speeds have changed to 0.8/0.1.
Old 23rd August 2011, 07:33   #16
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
Rotterdam is working to make 500mbit connections available for home users now and are planning on 1gbit connections. For now, the max is 120/120 in most areas, 200 in some larger cities.
I don't think speed is as important as "ping". When I went on a blog clean-a-thon, I downloaded the blogs and ran them on virtualbox. It was sort of looking at future internet where everything just pops up instantly.

At this point, it isn't speed that's the problem. It's latency. You'll wait longer for the piece of data than it takes you to download it.

My main nemesis lately has been nameservers. They have been bad slow since Frontier took over Verizon.

I don't know what you'd do with 1Gbps connections. The backbones, even in Europe usually won't spit out more than 7 mbps. Most servers have a "speed limit" to keep from getting flooded. That's usually a few megabits. Most webmasters would still consider it ok for you to wait 50 or 100 milliseconds for the server to get around to you.

It isn't really fair to compare US internet to Europe. Where we have cities the internet service is usually pretty top notch. It still sucks in rural areas. My sister quit using a 56K modem last year. 1.5k/256 DSL now. Whoopie!

There are still a lot of hay seed little towns where kids are still yelling "Mom.... hang up the phone!"
Old 25th August 2011, 21:45   #17
fc*uk

Well, Aquarius you reminding me of comcast's practices gave me pause for a good while. Especially because I know this is going to hit me in the end. From time to time I am a heavy torrnet user; not software or illegal music, or what ever mind you. From time to time, I seed my own sets. That's going to be an issue.

However, an even bigger issue is the speed of my current line and what I can actually afford to pay for service. In the end, I went with comcast because of those last two points. a 25/4 line is going to be setup on Monday... hopefully right after I get back from Toronto.

@ROH. I would say ping drives things up to a size. Say you are you and have a symmetrical 25M line, which means you can pull down 2.5 meg/sec. So, at that and accounting for a noticeable difference (pings should be <100 ms, I'll say due to other things we really won't notice a difference under 1000 ms, true or not) only files smaller than you line speed can pull per second get caught up by this. Sure, that's just about all surfing anymore. But, if you are trying to pull a 250 meg file, your ping won't really matter, only your speed. Believe me, I know. I get an 0.8M line, which is 80k/sec download. My ping is generally less than 60 ms. Loading winamp takes 10-15 seconds; it's not the ping, it's the download speed that bites me; most webpages load more than 80k.

As for backbones. Capped at 7M? How do you explain your 25M service then? I am going to guess that I really missed something in what you were trying to say with that ....
Old 29th August 2011, 01:58   #18
fc*uk

Speed test run from my iPhone 4 on Rogers' 3G network in Toronto. The only question left is what the fuck is ATT doing. All across the US the fastest I have seen is 3M/1M. I am getting tired of America and her Internet speed games.

Quote:
Test Date: Aug 28, 2011 8:53 PM
Connection Type: Cellular
Server: Toronto, ON
Download: 6.05 Mbps
Upload: 2.92 Mbps
Ping: 72 ms

External IP: 74.198.9.232
Internal IP: 25.3.64.232
Latitude: 43.6570
Longitude: -79.3842

A detailed image for this result can be found here:

http://www.speedtest.net/iphone/141855249.png
Old 29th August 2011, 03:18   #19
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
I'm in a small town in West Virginia, paying for the most expensive available connection.

Advertised is 6M down, 500K up. I'm getting:

194 ping (sucks especially for gaming)
2.84M down (bad for 480 youtube let alone 720 or 1080)
0.33M up (reeeeally inadequate for hosting)

If I weren't living in the town (like many of my students), I would have nothing but dial-up as nothing else is available, so RoH's "mom, hang up" line is quite true here.

edit - this used to be my connection before I moved:

Don't forget to live before you die.
swingdjted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2011, 03:24   #20
fc*uk

Yikes. What about satellite or
Microwave (really microwave is used in rural area of Mi [re: up north])?
Old 29th August 2011, 04:09   #21
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

I don't know anything about microwave, but I can say that satellite only works well if you're on the good side of the mountain for it. This area is all mountains and rivers; nothing flat. Cell phone service is available here, but is gone before you even exit town. I work at a school about 40 minutes west of home; no cell phones work there. My wife works 10 minutes east or 35 minutes southeast (depending on the day of the week), and she also doesn't have cell phone service at either school. It's pretty primitive. I hope the cable company creates something good here, because DSL is all that's available, and because of that, it's priced high.

Old 29th August 2011, 06:46   #22
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
How do you explain your 25M service then?
It can do 25mbps. In the real world, it just usually doesn't to one place... Locally, like the Pacific NW with servers that are geographically close to me....

But that isn't most of the internet.

Last edited by rockouthippie; 29th August 2011 at 09:30.
Old 29th August 2011, 20:22   #23
fc*uk

For the sake of completeness. Not quite what they advertised (I'm slower on dl but faster on ul), but I'll take it. Finally. Real internet.

Old 29th August 2011, 22:28   #24
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

What is PNG or PING for that matter...and does it know where I live?
Old 29th August 2011, 23:12   #25
rockouthippie
Banned

Ping is the time it takes to get a response from a web server. In gaming this is really important. < 25 milliseconds would be considered good. At about 150ms... things get unplayable.

It's important for fast loading web pages. Lag or ping often has to do with how many "hops" something is away from you. "Hops" means how many servers are in between you and the web server.

If you type cmd in the box above your start button in windows, then at the command prompt type tracert forums.winamp.com you'll see all the servers you went through to get here.
Old 29th August 2011, 23:28   #26
fc*uk

PNG stands for Portable Network Graphics. Many people prefer PNG to JPG because JPG is a lossy compression technique whereas PNG is lossless.

This is similar to the MP3 (JPG) versus FLAC (PNG) argument. Sure, artifacts in MP3 or JPG are there, but you really gotta be looking for them to notice it.
Old 29th August 2011, 23:44   #27
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

^ Uh..I think I meant what ROH was talking about. People are always saying they" pinged "(?) their computer. I knew the Portable Network Graphics one....'cuz I got my learning on here.
Old 29th August 2011, 23:56   #28
fc*uk

I am sure you did Widdy. I thought it was odd you were asking about PNG.

But none the less, it was something asked not answered.... so I felt it should.

Now that I've got internet, maybe I can get music so I can start DJ'ing again. Played a set in Toronto over the weekend ... was good, but the music was old. It's been two months since I have been able to get anything.

Trying to convince Chase and Status to go back to The Guvernment too
Old 30th August 2011, 00:10   #29
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

ssssuuuuuxxx...

Old 30th August 2011, 00:35   #30
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

This me...no...down a little

Last edited by Widdykats; 2nd December 2013 at 16:44.
Old 30th August 2011, 01:02   #31
fc*uk

Ted. I had that type of a connection for the past 6 years. It's not bad when that is all you are used to. It can handle streaming, just not well. It can do uploads, just not quickly.

Unfortunately, after upgrading, you know what you are missing. If I can help it, I would never go back to that.

Seriously though, look into Microwave. However, it must be line of sight too. If you have problems with SAT, then there might be problems with this as well ...
Old 30th August 2011, 02:33   #32
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

I'll ask around, but it'll take a lot of people before I find someone knowledgeable on the subject. I completely understand about the downgrade though - was always on cable before this with much better bandwidth.

Old 30th August 2011, 11:35   #33
QOAL
[STILL a retard!]

Yeah, so Ted, you're not alone.

count!last.fmdastylishplanner
QOAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2011, 11:45   #34
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

^ How .....come.....so......slow?
Old 30th August 2011, 14:31   #35
QOAL
[STILL a retard!]

Because the exchange my connection uses is 2 miles away, and it's copper wire from there to me.
Apparently it's expensive to upgrade to fibre to cabinet.
I'll spare you a rant about it.

count!last.fmdastylishplanner
QOAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2013, 16:09   #36
Warrior of the Light
Forum King

bump.

I went from

to this

Happy now.

Old 23rd May 2013, 18:01   #37
rockouthippie
Banned

Cable kicks ass on DSL. No matter what, it's gotta beat DSL especially if you're out on the end of the copper line. Here Comcast goes up to 100mbps.

This is off my wifi so it's not full speed of the connection.
Old 23rd May 2013, 22:07   #38
Warrior of the Light
Forum King

It's funny how your connection is rated A-, compared to the entire US, while mine is just a B+. And we're still complaining here.

I switched to fiber, so no copper for me anymore. Most fibers and cable contracts go up to 120, but where I live there's nothing faster than 100mbit yet. Fiber is usually a bit faster with uploading.

Old 23rd May 2013, 23:20   #39
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

5 ping? If you game, no one will ever beat you. 27 up is extremely unusual around here. Most connections out this way are all download and almost no upload.

Old 24th May 2013, 02:22   #40
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
Most fibers and cable contracts go up to 120
Then you run into how fast the backbones are.

This is me to New York:

I wouldn't matter what bandwidth I had because you can't suck it through the backbones. My 25mbps to estacada is moot. About the only place I could get 25 mbps is from the U of O computer lab. So I can get a linux distro in about 4-5 minutes.

100mbps might be useful is you had 20 users like a hotel or something.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions