Old 1st February 2012, 22:00   #1
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
How are your ears doing?

Well?

Mine do really well at 16K, and I can still hear 17 ok, but at 18 I'm not sure if I'm hearing the pitch standing out or if it's just part of the static/hiss. The rest on up just seem like static and hiss to me.

Don't forget to live before you die.
swingdjted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2012, 23:19   #2
Rocker
Hiding in plain sight (mod)

I think my shitty speakers can't do 17k thats why I can't hear it... can't wait to get my concept 6's back up and running.
Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2012, 23:56   #3
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Didn't try this myself yet, but try headphones too if you feel your speakers aren't up to par.

Old 3rd February 2012, 14:18   #4
Jedi Gemstone
Major Dudette

I hear 17 loud and clear, but nothing at 18

My Website
Deviantartness Yay
This signature was brought to you by the colour Red and the number 14
I'm A Purple Ghetto, So Follow Me To Sanity!! *Runs Off* I Have No Idea Where I'm Going......
Jedi Gemstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2012, 01:18   #5
mike-db
Pancakes!
(Major Dude)

Send a message via ICQ to mike-db
I could not hear anything past 15hz.

SEX APPEAL UP IN HERE!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
mike-db is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2012, 04:27   #6
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

At 21 and 22kHz, there are some sounds that might not be right standing out, sounds that are lower than they should be. I'm still not sure, on headphones or on good high-end Infinity brand speakers (run by a good sound card and Pioneer receiver with decent optical cable and speaker wire) whether or not I'm hearing 18, 19, or 20 due to the static, or due to my not being able to hear them.

Hi Jedi. Long time no see.

This one has slightly cleaner sounds, but requires Apple Quicktime to work. I can hear 18kHz better on it, but can't hear 19's actual pitch. The low frequencies are best on large speakers, and this test isn't real clean with them:

http://www.noiseaddicts.com/2010/10/hearing-loss-test/

Wolfram Alpha has an even better pitch player, but still requires Quicktime:

http://www.wolframalpha.com/widgets/...56886714f1d36f

Old 4th February 2012, 13:29   #7
rockouthippie
Banned

I'm kinda deaf in my left ear. Ear infection when I was a kid. 12khz. I can hear 17 with my right ear. It might be better than that though. My computer speakers aren't anything to write home about.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2012, 09:39   #8
cooky560
Major Dude

Send a message via MSN to cooky560 Send a message via Yahoo to cooky560 Send a message via Skype™ to cooky560
15 at my normal listening volume, if I double that volume, up to 17khz, I am listening through VERY expensive studio monitors rated to 23khz so thats not my stereo either

Cooky560 - Making Pointless Posts since 8/12/ 2002

WWW.
Victory Requires no explanation, defeat allows none.
All that Evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing
cooky560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2012, 18:06   #9
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

^ Your Stereo system is the "Bomb". I'd steal it.... Uh...nevermind. I hear fine. I hear what I want. No, that's not the point to this, but I'm happy.....
Widdykats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2012, 18:32   #10
Warrior of the Light
Forum King

Nothing over 16k but that may very well be because of the laptop speakers. My Sennheisers should go up to 21k.. I'll try them on my desktop pc to be safe and report back here

Jesus loves you [yes, you] so much, he even died for you so that you will not need to die, but live forever
Warrior of the Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2012, 20:04   #11
rockouthippie
Banned

I hooked up my good stereo. The receiver and speakers are good to 24khz. 17 right ear. 12 left ear.
Old 6th February 2012, 20:17   #12
Warrior of the Light
Forum King

strangely I am hearing a somewhat audible beep up to 21k, which should be impossible. I also hear 18k better and louder than 19k but I believe that when you're up to these frequencies and higher it is much more a test for your soundcard combined with your speakers/headphones rather than your ears.

update: I checked the senneheisers with the laptop too. Still, nothing over 16k. I guess the soundcard from the laptop just isn't any good for this.

Jesus loves you [yes, you] so much, he even died for you so that you will not need to die, but live forever
Warrior of the Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2012, 21:32   #13
rockouthippie
Banned

I used optical to hook it up. It might make a difference. It might not. It sounds like all our hearing is in the range of normal, except my left ear. I hear a "beepish" thing too. It's harmonic distortion/compression artifacts, not the tone. You'll run into the same thing listening to mp3 music sometimes. I don't think these test recordings are very clean.

Thinking about it, I wonder if these recordings are actually good enough to render the tones? It would have to be really high bitrate mp3 to get past 20khz. Flac would be the thing to use.
Old 7th February 2012, 00:21   #14
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

They use .wav, so the format shouldn't be a limiting factor, at least at these frequencies. If they were to use .mp3, most bitrates chop everything above 16kHz.

Old 7th February 2012, 00:37   #15
rockouthippie
Banned

I didn't look, but what is the sample rate? It might be why these recordings chirp. Anything above half the sample rate needs need to be filtered out. The absolute theoretical maximum frequency response of your CD player is 22050 hz (Nyquist frequency). In practice that's about 19khz.

If you try to record frequencies greater than the Nyquist frequency (1/2 sample rate) it will beat against the Nyquist frequency. i.e. record 30khz @ 40khz sample rate and you'll get a 10 khz tone.
Old 7th February 2012, 00:50   #16
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

I don't know how to check; It tells you that they're .wav, but they don't say specifics.

Old 7th February 2012, 04:51   #17
rockouthippie
Banned

I guess you'd download one and look at it with audacity. I'm not that curious. I'm just glad not to be going any more deaf than I ever was.

I think if you can hear 15 khz, you got nothing to worry about... yet anyway...

One thing about treble. I notice if it's not there probably more than I can hear it. I think you kinda feel it, even if you can't hear it. Or what you can hear is better.... or something like that .......... I like a good tweeter.

My main problem is that stereos have gotten so accurate that it reveals defects in the source you never heard before. I was trying to listen to some BB King tonight. Very accurate noise.

One thing you gotta say about technology. Audio tech has gotten awesome. These fairly inexpensive Polks I've been running work a lot better than speakers I paid 4X for back in the day.

Hell.... I remember when 30 watts was a lot of power. My computer speakers sound better than some of the stereos I had in the day. My $20 laptop speakers sound better than my dad's "HiFi".

Blaring 15 whole tube watts into paper cone woofers.... My dad would say... Turn that down.... what the hell are you listening to? Look Dad... it's Ozzie... he has a cross...

But like my dad, my music tastes run to things that are a little less manic. I've been playing Moody Blues, Diana Krall, classical music and Elvis Costello tonight....... at very moderate listening levels.

Getting old.
Old 7th February 2012, 09:18   #18
Roob

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockouthippie View Post
I'm kinda deaf in my left ear. Ear infection when I was a kid. 12khz. I can hear 17 with my right ear. It might be better than that though. My computer speakers aren't anything to write home about.
Same here :|

I will be visiting India this year to get a hair transplant in Mumbai.
Roob is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions