Old 3rd December 2014, 00:08   #1
DataLighter

Resampling 96Khz FLAC to MP3 44.1Khz MP3 for Android Sync

The goal is to convert all FLAC/ALAC files (some with 96Khz sample rate) to friendly MP3/AAC with 44.1Khz sample rate for portable android device.
This would allow seamless syncing ability that would allow untouched lossless playback on desktop, while automatically converting them into efficient & compatible MP3 playback on devices.

I've tried MAD plug-in (which doesn't support resampling) and FFSox plug-in (resampler but doesn't seem to process the MP3 converting to android device), but to no avail.
I've been exhausted from researching on this issue.
What would you recommend?
DataLighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2014, 11:57   #2
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
what I would do is create a lossy mirror of my lossless collection. u don't want to waste time converting all the time when u update whats on your portable device.

there are lots of good converters out there, and doing it my way u only need to do it once.

try looking at "cuetools"

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2014, 12:06   #3
DrO

there's the transcoding options already available as part of the device handling options which would be made use off as part of the sync / transfer action.

and based on the comment above, you also don't want to waste time and space making as lossy collection when you don't (or never will) transfer most of the files to the device which makes transcoding far more sensible as a starting point until a better understanding of what files are commonly transferred are going to be (imho).
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2014, 15:27   #4
DataLighter

Thank you for your responses MrSinatra & DrO

Transcoding options already available for MP3 in Winamp package (Nullsoft MPEG Decoder) are adequate, but it simply doesn't support resampling as I mentioned (96Khz -> 44.1Khz). In addition, I don't mind conversion time with quadcore 2500K if it's possible to save HDD & time having to manually converting 96Khz/24bit into lossy mirror files with CUETools/dBPowerAmp.

Just as MediaMonkey MP3 converter supports more options for portable transcoding with sampling, there must be a way to add resampling ability on-the-fly for portable devices.
What do you think?
Old 4th December 2014, 15:37   #5
MrSinatra
Forum King

another issue with xferring & transcoding on the fly, is that its usually done to maximize speed at the expense of quality. doing it my way, u can control precisely how the mirror is encoded, and it only ever needs to be done once. once made, it exists, and becomes a simple and fast copy to device operation.

r u sure your device/app won't handle 96/24? lets assume not. I am pretty sure that LAME has encoding options to resample. if it doesn't, you might want to do FLAC 96/24 to FLAC 44.1/16 first, and then go FLAC to mp3.

you could also consider 48/16, since that's basically as universal, yet a little less destructive.

--
Old 4th December 2014, 15:44   #6
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataLighter View Post
there must be a way to add resampling ability on-the-fly for portable devices. What do you think?
it involves someone coding it do such things and as much as i'd like to say it will be done as part of the coming 6.x releases, i cannot be held to it happening sooner (however much it makes sense, as there's higher priority things that need to be re-implemented before even considering (if at all) any of the transcoding functionality). so yes, it should be done but as i'd missed that part of your original post, then it's probably best to ignore Winamp's transcoding support for such things (if it didn't involve sample rate conversion then i'd hold with my view on things, which is just my view).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
you might want to do FLAC 96/24 to FLAC 44.1/16 first, and then go FLAC to mp3.
that's crazy transcoding should be done with minimal steps to ensure you loose as little data as possible. and with other tools you can do that in one step afaik without having to do 2 steps and compromising things.

Quote:
you could also consider 48/16, since that's basically as universal, yet a little less destructive.
i doubt that when most things tend towards 96 or 44.1, 48 is not universal or supported by a lot of media formats.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2014, 16:52   #7
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
that's crazy transcoding should be done with minimal steps to ensure you loose as little data as possible. and with other tools you can do that in one step afaik without having to do 2 steps and compromising things.
maybe u missed what I said, but since I don't know right off the top of my head if LAME can encode FLAC 96/24 directly to mp3 44.1/16, I simply suggested the two step method IF necessary. I agree with what you are saying, I am loathe to do more than is necessary/efficient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
i doubt that when most things tend towards 96 or 44.1, 48 is not universal or supported by a lot of media formats.
48 is supported by LAME/mp3, and I have yet to come across anything that won't play it, prob b/c 48 is the default for DVD.

--
Old 4th December 2014, 19:28   #8
sunk818

ffmpeg came to mind for creating a lossy mirror of the 96Khz FLAC files.

I wonder if there is any advantage putting in hooks so that as part of the transcoding process, you could call a batch file that performs the transcoding for you and saves it in a location that Winamp could then reference. Wouldn't sort of thing be able to handle any sort of conversion as long there is a command line tool (ffmpeg, sox, etc) to transcode?
sunk818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2014, 19:57   #9
Aminifu
Forum King

Since LAME will not be bundled with the next version of Winamp, will it be possible to allow custom options to be used along with (or instead of) the current fixed selections for converting to the mp3 format. That way LAME's resampling capability and certain other features could be used without having to go outside of Winamp.

The current fixed selections are good for helping to keep novices from totally screwing up their transcoding, but advanced users should not need this limitation. Whether it can be easily heard or not, advanced users know that down sampling and going from loss-less to lossy formats will cause a loss of quality (which is the price to pay when using some mobile devices).

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2014, 22:44   #10
DataLighter

Just as Aminifu & sunk818 mentioned, it would be great to enable more in-depth conversion options available to create lossy mirror of 96Khz/24bit files.
However, it's important to note that loss of quality is virtually indiscernible in VBR V0 for mobile devices so there's no need to transfer enormous lossless files straight from library. It'll be time consuming & storage wasting to do so.

FFMPEG based FFSox Player 2 provides variety of forementioned options, yet I have not been able to setup this input plugin to be used as transcoder.
There must be fairly straightforward a way to incorporate that as batch transcoder
Old 11th December 2014, 23:05   #11
MrSinatra
Forum King

have u looked at cuetools yet?

--
Old 12th December 2014, 02:56   #12
ryerman
Major Dude

Quote:
have u looked at cuetools yet?
I like CUETools too, but according to the wiki, "Audio must be 16-bit, 44.1kHz".
http://www.cuetools.net/wiki/CUETools#

Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Winamp 5.666, Bento Skin
ryerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2014, 08:32   #13
MrSinatra
Forum King

good point, but I think it is possible:

http://www.hydrogenaud.io/forums/ind...c=64628&st=350

maybe foobar or dbpoweramp is a better choice tho.

--
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support

Tags
96khz android mp3 flac