Old 28th June 2011, 06:51   #1
rikadyn

Need help

Trying to set up shoutcast to DJ for a radio stream.

so basic info first

HP Compaq Presario CQ61
IDT High Definition Audio Codec (up to date as far as HP is concerned)
Win 7

Winamp 5.61
Shoutcast DSP 2-2-1

Problem is if I have it set to work off the sound card, it picks up only the mic, not winamp playing regardless of what i do.
rikadyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2011, 09:29   #2
DrO

the DSP has issues on Windows 7 in that scenario - you'd need possibly try enabling the 'what you hear' or 'stereo mix' option if present in the recording options which may allow you to get the Winamp audio as well as the mic input but isn't guaranteed. maybe one day i'll get around to finding a decent solution for that in the DSP...

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2011, 15:21   #3
rikadyn

If I have stereomix enabled, and then plug in a mic, windows (assuming it's windows) disables stereomix and reverts to the mic solely.

Figured if I flip between Winamp Input in the DSP and Soundcard Input in the dsp it'll work till I find a work around (externally most likely)

However, the monitor in the DSP for audio levels, with winamp input selected show activity and output even with winamp muted.

Any help there?
Old 5th July 2011, 15:34   #4
DrO

it sounds more like the driver software is causing it to be disabled in that case (haven't been able to get that happen on the two Win7 machines i've got access to). there's not much which can be done that i can think off without using virtual audio cables or a proper external device and then just capture that (as the DSP is somewhat limited due to the Winamp process and how Win7 seems to control audio handling within the same process).

the output levels with Winamp muted are based on what is being passed to the DSP rather than what is being done at the output stage so even if Winamp is muted or using a null output plug-in, if the DSP is set to Winamp input mode then it'll always show a level as long as something is playing.

-daz
Old 5th July 2011, 15:56   #5
rikadyn

So then, how do you control sound level when using Winamp input in the DSP?

I have VAC 4, but can't for the life of me figure out how to properly set it up to allow me to play MP3s and mic when i need to dj on the station atm.

I'm considering an external mixer, but not sure how that'd work on a laptop, and would prefer to not need an external source for the MP3s which seems like it's what would be needed...
Old 5th July 2011, 16:05   #6
DrO

not very easily / at all depending on soundcard drivers, etc. basically when used on Vista / Windows 7 it's basically Winamp or the single input and doesn't work as it would if used on XP where you can allow for the different levels. it's intended at some point to try to resolve it (if it's even possible - though prior attempts haven't gone very well).

i've no idea about VAC, am only going on what other people have suggested to use in such scenarios. hopefully someone else who's more experience with doing such a setup will see this and post / help.

-daz
Old 5th July 2011, 16:11   #7
rikadyn

I figure if I get an external soundcard (like the Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1) It'd replace my laptops onboard soundcard and be able to work right?

How does it work with an external mixing board though?
Old 5th July 2011, 18:49   #8
thinktink
Forum King

Send a message via Skype™ to thinktink
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikadyn View Post
I have VAC 4, but can't for the life of me figure out how to properly set it up to allow me to play MP3s and mic when i need to dj on the station atm.
Did you find the VAC control panel program to setup your virtual cables?

As near as I can figure, if you have VAC installed then what you have to do is set the current Output plugin to the cable you want to use (then restart playback) then use the Audio Repeater to take your microphone output and send the audio it to the same cable. Then tell the DSP to record from the cable.
thinktink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2011, 19:03   #9
rikadyn

Hmm, there is a small problem with that, as the site that I'm prospectively going to be djing for has made me switch to version 1.9 of the DSP and I don't get to select the audio cables from the sound card.
Old 5th July 2011, 19:16   #10
DrO

why have they made you use the buggy old v1.9 ? as using the v2 DSP in v1 mode is the most sensible thing to be doing.

-daz
Old 5th July 2011, 19:19   #11
rikadyn

Haven't asked, thought to ask, but I'm not really in position to ask. I'm technically on trial too, which means they're leaving me to my own devices most the time...
Old 6th July 2011, 01:18   #12
thinktink
Forum King

Send a message via Skype™ to thinktink
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikadyn View Post
Hmm, there is a small problem with that, as the site that I'm prospectively going to be djing for has made me switch to version 1.9 of the DSP and I don't get to select the audio cables from the sound card.
If that's the case you can try changing your default audio device in the Windows control panel to one of the VAC devices.
thinktink is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > SHOUTcast > SHOUTcast Technical Support