Old 14th February 2014, 00:12   #81
iomegajaz
Balled and Chained
Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunSaber View Post
pd.: Please consider add the Spanish language in the forum...
International Connection
Have a problem, suggestion, comment, but you find it easier to express
yourself en Espanol, in Nederlands, in Italiano? Esperanto? Portuguese?
Swedish? Other? This is your space on the Winamp forums.

"My heart hates uggos." –J.D.
iomegajaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2014, 04:20   #82
mucks

i wish i'm not off topic too much but

my computer totally fails to load either milkdrop or AVS but it's a 4x2x4ghz mint with a great video card... Nvidia's last year's top lane. AVS is kind of great - it could be re-adapted, improved and deliver tons of user content directly from the interface... I like it a lot but it's as if backward-compatibility was badly made with the most recent computers... wtf :-3

Meow
mucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2014, 07:14   #83
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by mucks View Post
my computer totally fails to load either milkdrop or AVS but it's a 4x2x4ghz mint with a great video card...
AVS can be rather hit or miss, but Milkdrop should run without problems. I suggest you use the Winamp Info Tool (link below) to make an extended report of your configuration and use the advanced reply editor to attach it to a post. You may have some items (or didn't install some items) that are causing the problem.

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=328932

Winamp Pro 5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2014, 14:24   #84
naroz

i hope you replace winamp 90's design with a new modern/metro design everyone moving to Microsoft Modern/Metro Design language including apple, google, samsung, htc and the whole internet sites
naroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2014, 15:10   #85
DrO

if only it was possible to quickly change the look of Winamp with a skin...
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2014, 22:30   #86
Damon Newcomb

Winamp is dead. Long live Winamp! ITunes sucks, if it was a person, I would slap it! I run Winamp on a 12 core Mac Pro, in a virtual Windows 7 machine. Beats the heck out of ITunes!! Thanks guys!
Damon Newcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2014, 23:12   #87
Gamergeek1981

Winamp Relauch

I sure everyone is dying to know when Winamp will relaunch because when you go to Winamp's website your are face to face with a site that says more coming soon when that is no one knows for people working on the site redesign pleas let us know when Winamp will be back up and running with a release date info.
Gamergeek1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2014, 23:18   #88
DrO

i bet the answer to that is "when it's done" ...
Old 17th February 2014, 03:07   #89
xfullmetal17

Still running version 5.666 (did it *really* have to end on that number? :P) and it's working perfectly well. Only thing I'm a bit upset about is how it hijacks media volume keys (i.e. I hit volume down and both Windows *and* Winamp lower the volume, at different rates)

edit: and according to the homepage title, we're STILL whipping the llama's ass!

another edit: and of course, now I say how Winamp takes the media volume controls, and then it stops...

Last edited by xfullmetal17; 17th February 2014 at 04:42.
xfullmetal17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2014, 04:58   #90
BeastOfSoda

i just wanted to chime in to thank you guys for wanting to keep winamp alive. without sounding sappy, i've been using it ever since version 1 and it's been a significant part of my go-to software from my teen years on, that i've come to know and love. looking forward to the future, hope you're going to relaunch it to its full potential and take the whole market (PC, android, iOS) by storm. just like it was supposed to be. (ps: if you're going for a rewrite, would it be too much to hope for the mobile version to look exactly like the PC one, possibly in winamp 2/3 style? )
BeastOfSoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2014, 06:31   #91
xfullmetal17

If not like the PC version, then at LEAST get it off of Gingerbread UI x.x
I still have options for the now-deprecated USB Mass Storage in the app settigns.
xfullmetal17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2014, 17:59   #92
James D

Long time Winamp user.

Well my virus scanner says I needed to update Winamp so I went to see new versions were out and came across this new site. Makes me a little worried as the reasons why I love Winamp as I scribe to Digitally Imported and they love to use Winamp/Soutcast for streaming their music as well Winamp handles all my CD/FLAC files and it sees my cover art as many other programs have a problem seeing ART when your music is off the mainstream music they think you should listen too. I have Windows 8.1 and I find the APPS are not up to standard as APPS are made for tablets or Cellphones meaning they must be small in size so many options that could make them great are not there. For example I paid for Groove APP hopping it would be different as 50% of my CD ART will not show up or no way to add your own art so hopping Winamp your listening as let people have the options to add their art if their CD's are not found online. Winamp PC and iTunes for PC both see 100% of my art as I can add missing art as it's easy to Google the artist and get the art in JEPG form and add it to your media. Windows 8.1 thinks everyone will move to tablet but can you store 1000 + CD's ripped in FLAC on a tablet? No but people do love their music and they make home audio systems with PC's / Apple hooked up to their audio system and they rip to huge hard drives with their music collection as they care about the sound of their music. Winamp been there all this time so please any new updates I hopping the ability will be there to add and custom are music collection and if you do a APP keep that in mind
James D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2014, 18:19   #93
James D

Found Winamp 5.666 here not the trick bloat wear links above as click on a link tries to install a registry cleaner... I clean my own thank you

http://winampenthusiasts.com/showthread.php?tid=32/
James D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2014, 19:34   #94
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Ps: (somehow off topic, just a bit) congratulations DrO on your new "custom user title"

· · TMCT · KOMODO X
Victhor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2014, 00:12   #95
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by James D View Post
Found Winamp 5.666 here not the trick bloat wear links above as click on a link tries to install a registry cleaner... I clean my own thank you

http://winampenthusiasts.com/showthread.php?tid=32/
Hi

The link to download Winamp can be found in the 2nd post of the thread:
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....99#post2984799

Or here:
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=373755

The link that you are referring to at the top of the page is an advertisement.
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2014, 09:09   #96
arograin

Hello, sorry, but winamp free or paid?
arograin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2014, 02:49   #97
garetjax
Candyass
(Major Dude)

Send a message via ICQ to garetjax Send a message via AIM to garetjax Send a message via MSN to garetjax Send a message via Yahoo to garetjax
I believe that likely as the new owners support ad supported digital distribution, it is likely that there will be a free model; that uses the ad model... and still another premium version that is not ad supported for subscription.

But, that is speculation at this point; I'm sure they are just coming to grips with building out a new website and rolling their own services into the Winamp App(s).

~!

1001skins |
That's not a skin, it's some god awful piece of skinner gunk. - Mr. Jones
garetjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2014, 13:39   #98
rbwusa

We at RichMediaGroup are counting down to the New Winamp I was one of the first users in the USA well over a decade ago always loved it and Milkdrop is the most unique Free music Visualizations I've seen. Hope they don't loose that but old habits die slowly. We are going to stream our Radio Station with the new owners looking forward to it but first I must learn how to say Radionomy in English. Hurry we're anxious.

Last edited by Rocker; 20th February 2014 at 12:53.
rbwusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2014, 23:30   #99
KermodeBear

I've been using Winamp for over a decade now. My god I'm getting old...

Anyway, during all that time I have tried other media players but I always came back to Winamp. Small memory and disk footprint, lots of functionality right out of the box.

I'm hoping that the trend will continue. Definitely looking forward to the future.

Last edited by Rocker; 20th February 2014 at 12:52.
KermodeBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2014, 00:04   #100
iomegajaz
Balled and Chained
Alumni

Welcome, Commode Bear and Arby Double-Ewe.

code:
CTRL+H (Find and Replace)
Find: WinAmp, WinAMP (match case)
Replace with: Winamp
ALT+A (Replace all)
end.

Old 20th February 2014, 12:55   #101
Rocker

What u talkin bout jaz? ..... I maybe have edited some posts lol
Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2014, 21:55   #102
iomegajaz
Balled and Chained
Alumni

I Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Dub, that's for darn sure.

Old 21st February 2014, 21:43   #103
luv-snail

I've been using Winamp on a daily basis for 16 years; it has become an integral part of my life, such that I cannot imagine living without it.

It was Winamp that introduced me to MP3 and the world of online music sharing (first by IRC DCC, then along came Napster). Winamp soundtracked my days and nights through my college years, and while my fascination with Linux blossomed, Winamp always stopped me from switching.

When Winamp joined the AOL family, I feared for its safety. As the nightmare of Winamp3 unfolded I felt sure my fears were being realised. But Winamp held strong, Winamp 5 rose from the ashes and I knew then my companion had returned. When I went to university and the pressure of fast-paced study started to get to me, it was Winamp (with the AcidSpunk vis plugin) that calmed me down. And a doobie, obviously.

Last year I got married, and we used Winamp to lovingly craft the playlists that soundtracked the ceremony. So many of the places and faces I have known have come and gone, but Winamp has been at my side for the whole journey. Now we're planning to start a family, and someday I hope to share the joy of Winamp with my children. One day, I will shuffle off this mortal coil, but I shall know no fear as long as I know Winamp will be there supplying the tunes at my funeral.

Radionomy - I don't know who you are, but please look after Winamp.

P.S. I am listening to Winamp as I write this.
luv-snail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2014, 07:33   #104
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi luv-snail,

It's scary, but I feel much the same way.

Winamp then, Winamp now, Winamp forever!

Old 22nd February 2014, 14:25   #105
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
Winamp then, Winamp now, Winamp forever!
Great phrase, is it yours? I'm gonna steal it! =)

· · TMCT · KOMODO X
Victhor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2014, 18:29   #106
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

The last 3 posts before my current post are so good, especially Yours, Aminifu. Since November / December 2013 I am adding another phrase to my broadcast-topics, if I broadcast live on Mixlr: Music forever!!!... ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ ♥♥♥♥♥ ★★★★★

For me myself the 22nd July 2014 will become the 4th anniversary, although I had discovered the beautiful Winamp-Milkdrop-Videos by many other YouTube-User already between 2008 and 2009. But Winamp became my life companion, my true friend, and I want, that Winamp will live much longer than me, forever. If no tragedy will happen, then I myself will stay, until I am an old grandma...

Sabine Klare Aka Sternenmaschinebine
Music, Art, Lyrics, Videos
AMBIENT... AMBIENT music forever...
Sabine Klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2014, 20:37   #107
KMNS

Winamp is some of the best Media players out of the market. Maybe now mostly i am using Audacious (due I am using linux, great winamp alternative) and foobar2000 still like the Winamp player.
KMNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2014, 21:33   #108
PPNSteve

also a long time Winamp user since before the AOl days and am glad that my player of choice, Winamp, will live on.

I just hope (and request) that it keeps the same simpleness and ease of use, performance, plugin-ability, and so on as it has now.

now if the new Winamp crew can just get rid of those over-priced and inefficient encoders (mp3 and aac for example) recently added and go back to the better, free ones, I'll be 100% happy again.

Keep that Llama's ass whipped!
PPNSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2014, 21:40   #109
DrO

MP3 and AAC encoding is not free, sure there's certain levels which prevent having to necessarily pay it (assuming that the program has declared it's usage of such aspects), but Winamp is too well known and so has to cover such costs somehow (irrespective of the library being used e.g. MP3 encoding is done using LAME which the code is free, but that is not the same as encoding licensing). and the FhG AAC encoder was viewed as one of the better ones when it was last publically tested (should be easy enough to find that article).
Old 24th February 2014, 22:10   #110
Higheststorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Egg View Post
As you all surely know by now, Winamp & SHOUTcast have recently changed ownership.

The winamp.com website is currently undergoing heavy work and an almost-completely new redesign.
As a result, many features will be unavailable, including some in-client services.

The Winamp downloads and Winamp Pro purchases will also be temporarily unavailable
whilst code licensed to/by the previous owner is removed/replaced.

We hope to have everything restored and back in working order as soon as possible,
and we apologize for any inconvenience caused in the meantime.

Watch this thread for any further updates.
Any word yet on when winamp will be re-available for download? And if i had Winamp pro before, will my password be changed?
Higheststorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2014, 22:15   #111
DrO

there isn't any eta on when a new desktop client will be available as lot of things still need to be sorted out (and as needed re-implemented post AOL specific removal) and there needs to be something to make it worth the update...
Old 25th February 2014, 14:28   #112
Juanus
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to Juanus
I was reading something and (I am sure that you already know this) but It looks like Gracenote launched Gracenote Open Developer Program.

http://www.gracenote.com/company/faq/developer/
http://www.gracenote.com/press/02/15/2013/

Although I don't know if Winamp can be considered a "non-commercial developer". But. I hope that this helps Winamp keep Gracenote as it's look up database and maybe even add some of the other features gracenote offers.
Juanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2014, 15:44   #113
DrO

i think it's safe enough to say Gracenote usage will not be kept as Winamp is not applicable to those terms.
Old 25th February 2014, 16:03   #114
Juanus
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
i think it's safe enough to say Gracenote usage will not be kept.
That's not what I wanted to hear. So far it's the best tagging service out there. That means that the "view tracks similar to.." function is going away also! awww man!
Old 25th February 2014, 16:11   #115
DrO

there are other services (unless you and others want to stump up for the ridiculous amount of money that is wanted by them) which are more reasonable and can provide the same means of the previous functionality (and not be as buggy as Gracenote has been - as it's the biggest cause of crashes in v5.66x and beforehand and a large reason for people uninstalling Winamp permanently).

it was always going to be expected that some things will and have to change and everything which can be done to maintain existing behaviour (even if the provider has to change) will be done. hence why a new Winamp desktop client release is going to take a while.
Old 25th February 2014, 16:38   #116
Juanus
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
there are other services (unless you and others want to stump up for the ridiculous amount of money that is wanted by them) which are more reasonable and can provide the same means of the previous functionality (and not be as buggy as Gracenote has been - as it's the biggest cause of crashes in v5.66x and beforehand and a large reason for people uninstalling Winamp permanently).

it was always going to be expected that some things will and have to change and everything which can be done to maintain existing behaviour (even if the provider has to change) will be done. hence why a new Winamp desktop client release is going to take a while.
onward and upward. I am looking forward to the future.
Old 26th February 2014, 02:39   #117
DJ-SirDuke

Maybe you should have left SHOUTcast the way it was instead of messing it up? I don't know why everything has to be redesigned & messed up all the time. My Father-in-law had a real good policy, if it works, DON'T try to fix it, You'll break it.

DJ-SirDuke
DJ-SirDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2014, 02:46   #118
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ-SirDuke View Post
Maybe you should have left SHOUTcast the way it was instead of messing it up? I don't know why everything has to be redesigned & messed up all the time. My Father-in-law had a real good policy, if it works, DON'T try to fix it, You'll break it.
If only it was that simple...

We couldn't leave it the way it was, because the previous owner owned all the content and didn't include the design/ui in the package.

We are currently redesigning the site and rewriting the in-client services etc. from scratch, because there's no alternative (other than there being nothing there at all). The content that's up at the moment is just a temporary solution until the new design is ready.
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2014, 03:21   #119
ChiggyChiggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Egg View Post
If only it was that simple...

We couldn't leave it the way it was, because the previous owner owned all the content and didn't include the design/ui in the package.

We are currently redesigning the site and rewriting the in-client services etc. from scratch, because there's no alternative (other than there being nothing there at all). The content that's up at the moment is just a temporary solution until the redesign is ready.
A suggestion for the eventual new SHOUTcast is to make it work more like Spotify. (If not outright copying the way Spotify works)

The way Winamp and SHOUTast work currently, are tbh a way of old to say the least... (like opening a SHOUTcast stream requires a playlist file be downloaded... why not have a protocol?)
SHOUTcast was there before Spotify was ever even born but its been all but forgotten in the sands of time.. Its only users are users that know it from its glory days of the early 2000's and whatever word of mouth said users can pass along.

To be relevant once more SHOUTcast needs to adapt.. Things have changed so much as far as streaming media goes since it was born with the likes of SHOUTcast in the 90's, but while the world moved on; SHOUTcast (and by association too Winamp) have stagnated so hard.. SHOUTcast used to MEAN streaming media once.

Its gone to the point that mentioning Winamp's name to the current internet generation evokes laughter due the assumption anyone that uses it is into "retro" stuff.. (and i cat blame them on that)

I honestly hope the legacy AOL left on Winamp will be shed and the Llama will kick ass once more, things like Winamp dont just die, they evolve, and judging by the work thats been done on the new (temporary?) homepage.. then things seems to be going for the better (appealing website = instant consumer attraction)

Someday... just someday... Winamp might go back to being the thing youll always find on someone's PC, Android, and whatever other handheld device is worthy of the Llamas attention. Or at the very least just dethrone the cancer otherwise known as iTunes.
ChiggyChiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2014, 06:10   #120
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiggyChiggy View Post
A suggestion for the eventual new SHOUTcast is to make it work more like Spotify. (If not outright copying the way Spotify works)
Why should SHOUTcast look to become a Spotify clone? They do different things. The Moodagent service is closer to what Spotify does.

Winamp has been around for a long time. Those who laugh should have more respect and simply not use it, if it doesn't fit their needs. Winamp's core functions do what they do better than anything else. If you youngsters can't get with that, there are other apps to do what you're looking for.

There are ways to add features (like what Spotify provides), for those who want them, thru plug-ins and/or online services. Attempts to evolve and add new things to the core app itself, in order to appeal to the younger generations, has historically been met with protest. People refusing to upgrade and calling the new versions bloated.

The current generation has been spoiled by the 'out-of-the-box' experience of the next new thing, imo. They have forgotten how, never learned, or won't take the time, to examine available options that could have apps like Winamp provide much of the same functions. That said, Winamp does have what some would call an intimidating number of options.

No software program is perfect and Winamp could be improved. But, I would rather have Winamp 'shore up' it's core functions and add unique new features, than try to copy what is already available.

Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion