Old 19th October 2018, 12:17   #1
ammrayet

Issues with Windows 10 1803 and above

I am currently using Windows 10 1709. I know I should update Windows and that I will probably be forced to shortly. Which is why I am making this thread - to fix a problem with Winamp and 1803 and above.

Everything works in Windows 10 1709 for me, including Winamp. But if I use 1803 or above, I experience crackling/fizzing/sizzling sounds and the music can be heard to slow down a lot too. Winamp is the only program to produce this problem.

I am using a Creative X-Fi Titanium on Windows 10 x64 1709 currently.

I did try the beta of Winamp a few weeks ago. But I have not tried today's official beta, released today. If it is fixed, then I will update this thread - but otherwise, assume it is not fixed.

I have tried dozens of settings found online, changing latency, sample rates, etc. Nothing helps. It happens with any audio file. Sadly it seems to be an issue with Winamp.

I have been using Winamp for about 20 years now. It would be a shame to ditch it for a small problem. I have looked at alternatives, one of which comes extremely close to Winamp - but you can't beat the original in my opinion.

I am very much open to suggestions, tests and changes. I have Windows 10 1803 on a spare drive right now, so any changes won't affect my current installation.
ammrayet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2018, 23:41   #2
ammrayet

My audio problem of jittering/crackling still persists with the official beta version.
Old 21st October 2018, 08:19   #3
thinktink
Forum King

Send a message via Skype™ to thinktink
I know you said you tried dozens of different settings but I'm curious to know if you have tried using any of the other output plugins.
thinktink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2018, 09:37   #4
ammrayet

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinktink View Post
I know you said you tried dozens of different settings but I'm curious to know if you have tried using any of the other output plugins.
Which would you suggest to try?
Old 21st October 2018, 13:49   #5
thinktink
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammrayet View Post
Which would you suggest to try?
All of them, there's only about 5 that get installed by default.
Old 21st October 2018, 13:49   #6
ammrayet

Good news!

After a quick Google of Winamp output plug-ins, I came across Wumpus OpenAL Output v1.0.1. I admit I was sceptical about whether or not it would work, but it did. The issue seems to be with Nullsoft DirectSound Output v2.70.

I would rather not have to install additional software to get Winamp working, so I hope the Winamp team can fix this. Of course I am more than willing to do any testing for them - anything that helps is a good thing.

Winamp OpenAL Output Plug-in: https://sourceforge.net/projects/winampopenalout/
Download page (Softpedia): https://www.softpedia.com/get/Multim...L-Output.shtml
Uploaded to help prevent loss of the installer in the future: https://www.mirrored.to/files/0HW5FD....0.1.exe_links
VirusTotal scan: https://www.virustotal.com/#/file/94...8820/detection
Old 21st October 2018, 17:23   #7
thinktink
Forum King

It might mean that the drivers for your sound card need an update. Did you try any of the other official output plugins and if you did, what were the results?
Old 21st October 2018, 21:31   #8
ammrayet

I've only tried Wumpus OpenAL Output v1.0.1 - the others appeared to write to files, if I understand them correctly?

Something I did notice during my testing. When I tried to take a recording of DirectSound Output with Audacity, the problem went away during recording but came again when I stopped recording. I don't know if that's of any help, but I thought I should mention it.

During a search on Google, I came across this thread: http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=453453

Although they don't have the same soundcard as me, they do have the same issue. They also stated having another program using audio (VLC) "fixed" the problem. So it seems to be a problem with DirectSound Output, perhaps, and not Winamp?
Old 22nd October 2018, 01:42   #9
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
I tend to think it's a driver issue, not the output plugin. Esp since it's the newer OS ver causing ur issue.

Did u try the wasapi output? And 5.8 3660?

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2018, 02:44   #10
thinktink
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
I tend to think it's a driver issue, not the output plugin. Esp since it's the newer OS ver causing ur issue.

Did u try the wasapi output? And 5.8 3660?
That's what I was already thinking. I asked him to try the different output plugins to see whether or not accessing the sound card in a different manner would bypass any driver issues.
Old 23rd October 2018, 00:28   #11
ammrayet

Nullsoft DirectSound Output appears to have stopped working now.
Nullsoft WASAPI Output doesn't work.
Nullsoft WaveOut Output works.
Numpus OpenAL Output works.

Now Winamp does not seem to save the window position. So I am going to uninstall Winamp with Revo Uninstaller and reinstall Winamp.
Old 23rd October 2018, 01:54   #12
thinktink
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammrayet View Post
Nullsoft DirectSound Output appears to have stopped working now.
Nullsoft WASAPI Output doesn't work.
Nullsoft WaveOut Output works.
Numpus OpenAL Output works.

Yup, it's a soundcard driver issue. See if there is a non-Microsoft provided driver update utility directly from the soundcard manufacturer.

For the window position issue, which skin are you using?
Old 23rd October 2018, 08:53   #13
ammrayet

Quote:
Yup, it's a soundcard driver issue. See if there is a non-Microsoft provided driver update utility directly from the soundcard manufacturer.

For the window position issue, which skin are you using?
I've got this driver from PAX installed. The latest official Creative driver gives me the same results.

Looking online, I am not he only user to have suffered this issue:
https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/su...709-1803-1185/
https://www.resetera.com/threads/lat...-issues.40508/

I will look into creating a Creative account so i can contact them. But I don't hold out much hope for what is new considered a legacy product.

Regarding the window position, I am using the modern skin. I don't get the issue with Windows 1709, just 1803.
Old 25th October 2018, 11:51   #14
ammrayet

Just as an update really. Creative have emailed me this week and I've replied with the information they requested.

But I noticed when I was testing audio output from another playing, I could choose DirectSound also. So I chose this expecting the same issue as I did from Winamp and the sound played perfectly fine.

So perhaps this is a actually driver issue. But I really now believe this is an issue with Winamp's own DirectSound plug-in.
Old 30th October 2018, 00:18   #15
ammrayet

Some "progress" - if you can call it that - on this matter.

Creative sent me the following message:
Quote:
We have tested Winamp 5.8 on a Windows 10 computer running version 1803 with the Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium.

We are have encountered crackling sound in between when we played MP3 files on Winamp.

Playing the same audio files on Windows Media Player does not give the crackling sound.

The test computer had the Epic games launcher installed and we have realized that when Epic games launcher is running on the background, the crackling sound on Winamp disappears. Once we close Epic games launcher, the crackling sound returns.
I tell Creative that I do not use Epic Games Launcher and have no intention in doing so as a workaround.

They then reply:
Quote:
The Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium has been classified end of service life on the Creative's support website.

This is the link to the support website of the Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium https://support.creative.com/Product...T=CategoryID:1

You may want to try the workaround to install Epic Game Launcher and see if it helps with the issue.
I have again told them again I won't use third party software as a workaround.

So it does indeed seem that Winamp could be the issue and Creative haven't yet suggested that a driver is the problem.
Old 30th October 2018, 15:18   #16
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
It does NOT seem to me winamp is the problem at all.

It's also completely bizarre that "epic games launcher" would somehow solve the issue. Would love to know why it does! Utterly freaky.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2018, 20:38   #17
cyberloner

use direct sound 2.7 will distortion.... use waveout 2.2 will be fine on x-fi windows 10 1809 ...
confirm it was plugin error on new windows 10......
cyberloner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2018, 22:27   #18
thinktink
Forum King

Does the crackling sound occur between tracks or does it occur throughout playback?
Old 1st November 2018, 14:31   #19
ammrayet

Quote:
Does the crackling sound occur between tracks or does it occur throughout playback?
For me it can happy any point during playback.
Old 2nd November 2018, 16:54   #20
cyberloner

Quote:
Through out playerback.... tick tock all the way while lame is decoding mp3...
Old 3rd November 2018, 17:15   #21
cyberloner

weird issue i cannot remake now... update driver... reformat... problem gone... windows installation issue i bet....
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports