Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion

Old 10th November 2005, 13:30   #41
KCPTECH

The issue surrounding this error is at the fault of a the ATI Catalyst Driver. Upon installation of the ATI CAT driver, the PX.DLL file is modified, to suite the requirements for the WDM calls. Installing a seperate PX.DLL file to the CAT directory wouldn't work as it's a driver, and the system32 directory is always accessed first for driver support. However, copying the original PX.DLL file into the WinAMP directory will have WinAMP working fine as it's an executable, and will look into it's own root directory first before looking into the system32 directory.
KCPTECH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2005, 20:19   #42
pippi

Thanx

Hi

I wanna thank you!!
I was having trouble with my sonic recordnow! 7.10. It started but stopped again when it said 'insert a blank disc' I got an error warning which forced me to shut the program down. (I got WinXP pro SP1)
Tried uninstalling and installing again, but no good. My log file showed the px.dll file was the problem. I replaced it as instructed down here and it now works perfectly again!!

so as we say in Holland;
Bedankt voor de bloemen!

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg
This is the version included with Winamp 5.1

Download px.dll.zip
. (176kb compressed / 332kb uncompressed)

The default location for this file is the %System% dir,
but before you unzip it to there...

First try unzipping px.dll to the Winamp dir (root folder)

No joy?
If it exists, backup the current version of px.dll in %System% dir
then replace it with this one.

Then reboot

Let us know the results.

Note: %System% dir
Win9x = C:\Windows\System
Win2k = C:\WinNT\System32
WinXP = C:\Windows\System32
Where C: is the drive where Windows is installed

Though, before you try any of this,
also confirm that you rebooted after installing Winamp 5
(but the problem still exists after rebooting).

Include as much relevant info in your replies as possible,
eg. system specs, windows os (incl. sp), installed dvd/cd playing/burning/ripping programs, exact point where error message occurs, etc.
pippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2006, 19:51   #43
makhellion

I had a similar problem:
"The ordinal 422 could not be located in the dynamic link library PX.dll."
This problem showed on newer versions of Winamp, and turning back to a
previous version was making it working again. I tried replacing the new
px.dll (in c:\windows\system32 folder) with the old working one, using
a new version of Winamp but it didn't work. Now, after been reading this
thread I tried deleting the px*.* files (except PXSDKPLS.dll) in winamp
folder and it fixed all the problems! Every file I deleted was
duplicated, present in winamp AND system32 folders.

So, in short, the bug is that probably older winamp versions created
px*.* files in the winamp folder, while newer place them on the system32
folder, causing winamp not to use the newer files, since the winamp
folder (with its old files) has higher priority for winamp.exe.
makhellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2006, 03:26   #44
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Nope, the only px file Winamp has ever created inside the Winamp root dir is pxsdkpls.dll. All other px*.dll files go in the %System% dir by default.

Note, the Sonic Engine bundled with Winamp was updated in Winamp 5.12, so the px.dll previously linked to in this thread is old and out of date.

It's possible that you previously copied an older version of px.dll into the Winamp dir yourself, thus causing the problem...?

Download px.dll from Winamp 5.12
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2006, 07:47   #45
makhellion

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg
It's possible that you previously copied an older version of px.dll into the Winamp dir yourself, thus causing the problem...?
It is possible, even if I really can't remember about doing that. Well I'm using winamp since v2.50 or something like this, so I was thinking maybe a very old version? But hum... very old version hadn't any px file since burn/ripping wasn't supported, isn't it?
Thank you
Makhellion
makhellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2006, 14:25   #46
14thPatriot

Crazy.. I'm running an ATI AIW card and I was having the same problem as well. I'm just glad it was an easy fix, as it was driving me slightly mad.
14thPatriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2006, 23:28   #47
Enzeru

I had the 422 error, and its funny cause I dont use the catalyst drivers, but whatever, figured it was jsut a corrupt file that needed a new copy, thanks for the fix guys!
Enzeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2006, 21:22   #48
theris

i've similar problem under my windows vista 64 installation. on xp (32-bit version) everything seems fine with the 5.3 winamp release, but i'm testing this new windows and the same winamp opens, and works, after giving this info:
This application failed to start because PX.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix the problem.
reinstalling of course doesn't fix the problem

i have a few more doubts about this new os.. vista's out for months, but creative didn't release working drivers for my sound card yet, the bastards. i'm using the onboard realtek audio. i refuse to change the os, so i kinda expect more trouble, yawnrr.
theris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2006, 21:29   #49
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Vista is a beta OS, ie. not supported by anyone.

Remove primosdk.dll from the Winamp root folder

This will get rid of the error, but you'll have no CD Burning support, and will only be able to rip CDs with ASPI/SCPTI, not Sonic Engine.
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2006, 21:35   #50
theris

oh, and copying px.dll that i downloaded from some site with dlls changed the info to something else, i don't remember, since i did what you advised.

thanks, man, that helped with getting rid of the annoying "nag box". i rip cd's using a different app, so no problem.
theris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2006, 15:40   #51
5of0

Thank you!

I have winamp running on my flash drive (http://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=515), and was getting this error (actually I was getting "ordinal 1191 not located in PX.dll" for those googling), probably because a local copy of px.dll was messing things up. Copying the 5.3 px dll to the same directory as winamp did the trick - thank you!
5of0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2006, 05:28   #52
Nerotik

Quote:
Originally posted by theris
i've similar problem under my windows vista 64 installation. on xp (32-bit version) everything seems fine with the 5.3 winamp release, but i'm testing this new windows and the same winamp opens, and works, after giving this info:
This application failed to start because PX.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix the problem.
reinstalling of course doesn't fix the problem
Was having this problem as well under Vista Ultimate x64, the installation seemed to go fine but upon running Winamp I got the above stated error but placing the px.dll file in the winamp (v5.32) folder fixed the problem (there was no px.dll file there after installation), I no longer get the above error msg and I can rip CD's using the bundled sonic extraction engine without problems. I also did a search in the windows folders and could not locate the px.dll file anywhere there however I did not place the px.dll file in the system32 folder only the winamp folder and the problem does seem to be fixed.

Figured I would post this as I foresee others having this problem when Vista is officially release to the masses
Nerotik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2007, 14:28   #53
erroneousotter

thanks for the fix!

i was getting this message...

"px.dll not installed"

...every time winamp started up, but after closing the error message dialog twice, winamp worked fine.

i copied px.dll into c:windows/system32 and i get no error message now.

edit: i use winamp 5.1 and xp pro sp2 on a 1.6G p4 mobile with 1gb ram
erroneousotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion