code:
Delete /REBOOTOK yourmainfile.exe
Vytautas
Vytautas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2004, 11:02   #42
kichik
M.I.A.
[NSIS Dev, Mod]

Assuming the main installer isn't that big, it shouldn't be that bad if the wrapper delete it after reboot. If it's really huge, you can copy a small wrapper to disk which will also delete the main installer.

You can also find some nifty tricks at http://www.catch22.org.uk/tuts/selfdel.asp

NSIS FAQ | NSIS Home Page | Donate $
"I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." -- Confucius
kichik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2004, 20:07   #43
Wasteland

Send a message via ICQ to Wasteland Send a message via AIM to Wasteland Send a message via Yahoo to Wasteland
I guess I assumed the /REBOOTOK would mean the intaller will prompt for a reboot when it's done (I didn't actually try it). And having an install for a game require a system reboot is ridiculous. I haven't rebooted my Win2K3 system *since I first installed the OS and booted*, besides when physically adding hardware.

I ended up going the route of putting yet another wrapper-like installer on the CD (on both CDs, actually), that when the main install finishes it calls this executable on the CD which deletes the main install from the temporary folder. I guess this has a chance of failing, since if the install was cancelled because the user ejected the CD, it might not be there, so I guess I will add a Delete /REBOOTOK if the call to Exec the deleter fails. The deleter does a delete/sleep/loop until it manages to delete the main installer or times out.

If people are interested, I could probably post the majority of the City of Heroes installer, or at least the install from multiple CDs parts. I don't have enough time at the momement to actually clean it up enough to make a nice Archive posting of it though. And I'll wait until QA has banged on it a bunch to make sure it doesn't have any bugs .
Wasteland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2004, 12:39   #44
misha.cn.ua

About problem with CD changing. I looked, how other installers solveing this problem. InnoSetup does as follows:
1. Copies small installer to temp.
2. Runs it.
3. That small installer from temp does all installation work.
And than installer can delete itself, as described in the article
Quote:
http://www.catch22.org.uk/tuts/selfdel.asp.
misha.cn.ua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2006, 18:54   #45
BigBooster

Thumbs down Any news on Splitting into Volumes?

Today I was really brought down to find out that NSIS still doesn't allow to split a setup file into several volumes for several CDs.
And it's mid-2006 already... And now games are often released on 2,3 and more CDs! Where is the power of NSIS?

Maybe I'm wrong and it's just that I didn't find how to do it? Even the old versions of CreateInstall include this option so I'm even starting to think of coming back to it.(
BigBooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2006, 20:14   #46
Afrow UK

NSIS isn't automated in this area. Generally, like most things in NSIS it is up to the developer to handle things like this themselves.

Rather than automatic volume splitting it'd be logical to just have multiple NSIS installers each doing their own parts of the installation process.

I'll have to write up a Wiki page for this sometime, as it'd indeed be very useful. It won't come in a simple form mind you - there will undoubtably be a lot of overhead code.

-Stu
Afrow UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2006, 20:49   #47
BigBooster

That sounds sad...I hoped something has changed in the 3 years that this tread is running..So the only way out so far is using another installer, until you write it?
Old 29th May 2006, 22:19   #48
Afrow UK

Try this out:
http://nsis.sourceforge.net/Multi-volume_Distribution

-Stu
Old 29th May 2006, 22:35   #49
galil

Re: Any news on Splitting into Volumes?

Quote:
Originally posted by BigBooster
Today I was really brought down to find out that NSIS still doesn't allow to split a setup file into several volumes for several CDs.
And it's mid-2006 already... And now games are often released on 2,3 and more CDs! Where is the power of NSIS?
If your product takes several CDs, there's no need to encapsule the files into 1 large setup file which is compressed to boot. This is extremely ineffective speed and end-user compatibility wise. I'm sick of seeing these inept installers for games using NSIS, that copy whole 500-700mb of NSIS setup to user $TEMP (some even CRC checking itself, wow), extract it there and then do the install. What if user has some low end system or simply low HD space available on system drive for whatever reason?

You could make "external" NSIS installer.

As for the 2006 thing... I heard that there's such thing as DVD out there. I even heard it has bigger capacity than CDs! And that some game publishers already use it...

Last edited by galil; 30th May 2006 at 00:45.
galil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2006, 00:53   #50
JasonFriday13
Major Dude

Quote:
As for the 2006 thing... I heard that there's such thing as DVD out there. I even heard it has bigger capacity than CDs! And that some game publishers already use it ...
Such as Codemasters for their V8 Supercars 2 PC game, as well as GT Legends, and the limited edition of TRS2006 by Auran is also on DVD.

There is one very good solution to disk spanning here .

"Only a MouseHelmet will save you from a MouseTrap" -Jason Ross (Me)
NSIS 3 POSIX Ninja
Wiki Profile
JasonFriday13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2006, 08:40   #51
zepitou

Hey,

As far as I'm concerned (and our company do sell games like Tomb Raider legends (>2Go game) with NSIS installer) I agree on the fact that multi volume should be a native and easy to implement functionality of NSIS.
And CABSetup or multi installer (like Afrow UK exemple) aren't a solution in my case, CopyFiles + CRC check neither.
But NSIS is free...
zepitou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2006, 10:00   #52
Afrow UK

If it's possible to do it without built-in NSIS support, then I very much doubt built-in support will be added.
I also very much doubt it'd be easy to implement.

I'll make another example script today which uses CopyFiles.
I should probably also update the existing multi-volume examples to disable CRC check - after all they aren't as likely to be corrupt on a CD.

-Stu
Old 30th May 2006, 10:01   #53
Mr Inches

I am curious, what is that you need/want that CABsetup and/or Afrow UK's solution do not provide (other than I need to tidy up the progress bar in CABSetup...)?

CABSetup was built on the idea that most big installers/setups are copying large chunks of data files.

I believe it addresses this problem quite well.

Even MSI installers at their heart end up packaging the various source data files into cabinets (.CAB files) and then bundling those into the MSI database along with the event sequences (.MSI). This database spans disks pretty much the same way CABinets are spanned in CABSetup. (Have a look at the MAKEMSI or WIX projects for ideas around how they handle the MSI based installers.)

CABSetup is still pretty young, and I have a fair bit of work to go, so I am happy to take suggestions. I am interested in what feature(s) you find lacking and if you have any ideas about how else this could be handled.

Your thoughts please.

Duncan (Mr Inches)
Mr Inches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2006, 10:58   #54
Afrow UK

I think generally people want NSIS to be on top of the world, when in reality there's currently only one main developer and he is now away more than ever!
In other words, if we need something done, we need to do it with what resources we currently have

I have added a CopyFiles example to the existing multi volume example.
http://nsis.sourceforge.net/Multi-volume_Distribution

-Stu
Old 30th May 2006, 16:38   #55
zepitou

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Inches
I am curious, what is that you need/want that CABsetup and/or Afrow UK's solution do not provide (other than I need to tidy up the progress bar in CABSetup...)?
Well, hard to answer.
Because we use a DRM that require weird things to be done on the installer, so that while installing, others weird things are also done... Only NSIS survived this (not Inno Setup :/) Using an installer packaged in another installer complicates this.
So I'm trying CABSetup (as I don't want to pay 2500euros for an InstallShield licence!), but I need time to implement it. (and for me it's not that easy, as Inno Setup is managing disc spanning as an internal native functionality)

NSIS is on the top of the world installer, except disk spanning

I'll give you my thoughts about CABSetup as soon as I got some.

Cédric.
zepitou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2006, 16:43   #56
Afrow UK

You should have a look at the examples that I've made as well. It really isn't complicated at all.

-Stu
Old 23rd October 2006, 20:11   #57
BigBooster

Thanks for Multi-volume_Distribution, a really good demonstration of the power of NSIS!

In my view it lacks only one but extremely important thing:
cancelling of autoplay. This means that with every new disk inserted into the drive a new window opens, so the user can do something wrong in this case. Even MSDN highly recommends to eliminate this situation for multi-volume installers.

I tried to implement this feature myself, but I couldn't.
Please, show me a way of solving this problem!
Old 24th October 2006, 12:14   #58
BigBooster

MSDN recommends to insert something like this:

UINT g_uQueryCancelAutoPlay = 0;

LRESULT WndProc(HWND hwnd, UINT uMsg, WPARAM wParam, LPARAM lParam)
{
switch (uMsg)
{
default:
if (!g_uQueryCancelAutoPlay)
g_uQueryCancelAutoPlay = RegisterWindowMessage(TEXT("QueryCancelAutoPlay"));

if (uMsg && uMsg == g_uQueryCancelAutoPlay)
return TRUE; // cancel auto-play

}
}

2 "ifs" - and that's all!!
But I have no idea how to insert it in NSIS

Last edited by BigBooster; 24th October 2006 at 12:38.
Old 24th October 2006, 19:21   #59
kichik
M.I.A.
[NSIS Dev, Mod]

You can subclass the window with a plug-in, just like the shutdown suppression plug-in.

NSIS FAQ | NSIS Home Page | Donate $
"I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." -- Confucius
kichik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2006, 12:54   #60
BigBooster

Thank you very much, with your sample I did it in a couple of minutes
My deepest respect to NSIS and its creators!
You made a great thing!
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Developer Center > NSIS Discussion