Old 26th January 2012, 02:55   #1
jonrichco

Can't play WMA tracks

I use Winamp 5.622 on Win 7/64, and can't play wma files. Only the file name loads into the Winamp window. I have tried to install the WMA plugin (http://www.winamp.com/plugins/details/80454), but it doesn't install properly and says no CODEC INSTALLED. wma is selected in General Preferences, File Types. Tracks play ok in VLC and Media Player. Ideas welcome! Maybe reinstall?
jonrichco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2012, 07:06   #2
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi jonrichco,

Uninstall that plugin. Download and install Winamp version 5.623. Double check all the installation options to be sure you install everything you need.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2012, 19:49   #3
jonrichco

Thanks Aminifu
Followed suggestions. wma now not included on list of associated file types. Still won't play. Have not (yet) reinstalled wma plug-in. I have a few issues with Windows and will restore next week. Maybe one of the issues is affecting Winamp?
Old 26th January 2012, 20:41   #4
DrO

if WMA isn't in the list then Winamp isn't going to be able to play any WMA files as without a relevant WMA playback plug-in installed, there isn't anything Winamp will be able to do. running the installer and making sure WMA support is enabled should fix your playback issues (assuming that the files aren't DRM locked and haven't been locked out, etc).

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2012, 21:28   #5
jonrichco

During the install process, multi-media engine is ticked but blue. When I expanded this, I saw that wma was not checked. This seems to me a design flaw in the install process, as I and most people click through, apart from clicking off the Winamp toolbar and AOL Search, which Winamp anyway should NEVER include as default installs on the pro version (imo). BTW I cannot reinstall WA without rebooting, which is a nuisance. Reason is that I cannot stop Winamp.exe in Task Manager.

WMA files now play. Thanks for advice. It seems to me that it should be possible to add file associations in Preferences without reinstalling. Perhaps Winamp could look at that. Also why my previous associations changed from one install to the next.
Old 26th January 2012, 21:53   #6
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonrichco View Post
During the install process, multi-media engine is ticked but blue. When I expanded this, I saw that wma was not checked.
it is generally selected as default unless the 'type' of the installer has been changed e.g. changing from 'full' to 'lite' via the option on the top of the components page. at some point something has had to have been selected / changed to cause the option to not be checked by default as the installer generally will install what was installed last time.

Quote:
BTW I cannot reinstall WA without rebooting, which is a nuisance. Reason is that I cannot stop Winamp.exe in Task Manager.
that is not normal at all and as you're on Win7, i'd have to wonder if it's an account permission issue causing issues. though that's just a guess but it doesn't sound normal.

Quote:
It seems to me that it should be possible to add file associations in Preferences without reinstalling.
it can be done but telling people to go in and extract specific files from the installer is more likely to cause more confusion than good. by doing it via the installer, it makes sure that the file type (if re-adding a format as in your case) will be correctly registered back to Winamp.

Quote:
Also why my previous associations changed from one install to the next.
no idea though anything is likely possible with that ancient plug-in on the site (which probably should be removed along with about 90% of the other plug-ins up there which are no longer supported by their developer or work correctly with newer Winamp's *shrugs* ).

-daz
Old 26th January 2012, 22:44   #7
jonrichco

Thanks Daz. Will be interested to see what happens after my restore next week. Regards Jon
Old 30th January 2012, 19:35   #8
cheperico

Hi! Having the same issue with v2.91 (my favourite version).

It's strange coz worked prefectly a month ago. It just stopped working. Maybe is 2012?

Also Nullsoft WMA Output it's marked as no pluggin detected, but both are in the pluggins directory.

Well, will try latest version but I think there's something else... and I love v2.91
cheperico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2012, 14:37   #9
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheperico View Post
Also Nullsoft WMA Output it's marked as no pluggin detected, but both are in the pluggins directory.
Both? There should be only one. If you still have v2.91 installed, try deleting both and reinstalling v2.91 over your current installation. Make sure the installation options related to 'wma' files are enabled.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Old 31st January 2012, 14:44   #10
DrO

/me bangs head on desk

no one in their right mind should be using 2.91 and no one should be suggesting to re-install such ancient Winamp install - even i find it hard to warrant people considering v5.5 as a base to work against now it's over 4years old, let alone something from over 9 years ago!

it's not like it's hard to have 5.623 act like a v2 install anyway and as is clearly stated at the top of this forum, only the current Winamp version is officially supported and that's how it has always been.

-daz
Old 31st January 2012, 16:27   #11
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
/me bangs head on desk

no one in their right mind should be using 2.91 and no one should be suggesting to re-install such ancient Winamp install - even i find it hard to warrant people considering v5.5 as a base to work against now it's over 4years old, let alone something from over 9 years ago!

it's not like it's hard to have 5.623 act like a v2 install anyway and as is clearly stated at the top of this forum, only the current Winamp version is officially supported and that's how it has always been.

-daz
My first thought was the same as yours. I was tempted to ask what v2.91 does that the latest version doesn't do.

Then on second thought, I know you can't make people upgrade and maybe the poster's system is old. So, I made the suggestion. If it works or not, what's the harm. I've seen users offering help for older versions, though v2.91 is extreme.

Upgrades should be done to fix problems the user is having and/or to get new features, not just to have the latest version. All versions have bugs. Unfortunately, though understandable in some cases, WA adds new bugs without being able to fix old ones. As long as anything does what the user wants, they should feel free to keep using it as long as possible, imho. Personally, I upgrade asap because I like getting new features and want whatever fixes are available. My wife upgrades as a last resort. Whose right, whose wrong?

That said, I will probably pass on posts for help with very old versions in the future.

Old 31st January 2012, 16:38   #12
DrO

yes upgrades should be done for fixing problems, but in this case there is no way to equate WMA issues with v2.91 or a similarly old / unsupported plug-in against the code which does it in v5.623 as the WMA support has been overhauled at least 2 times since the 2.91 release which i can remember.

either way, it's clearly stated that old versions aren't supported and if someone wants to run an ancient version then so be it but they cannot expect fixes other than to be told to upgrade to the current version.

i don't disagree with holding off a while, but waiting for almost a decade is just insane.

and yes i know that new issues can arise from changes / newer versions but that's how it's always been and regressions / breakages do happen irrespective of testing schemes in place.

-daz
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support

Tags
plugin, wma