Old 30th April 2020, 23:11   #1
fortissimo

Winamp main window location lost on 4K monitor

I never had this problem until getting a 4K monitor. Now, every time I load Winamp, it remembers which windows are open, their location, size, etc., except for the main window (you know, the window with the play, pause, stop, etc. buttons). It always starts in the wrong position.

I have the following 3 windows flush with the top edge of the screen, spanning all the way across the screen: album art (left corner), main window, and playlist editor (right corner, spanning to bottom edge of screen). Below the album art and main window I have the Media Library, spanning to the bottom of the screen. The album art window is bigger than the main window simply because if I make it any smaller, it might as well not be there. The main window unfortunately cannot be resized height-wise, so there is a "hole" between the main window and the media library.

Whenever I start Winamp, the main window's top edge is flush with the Media Library's top edge. I move it to where I like it (probably 200 pixels up and 100 pixels to the left). When I exit Winamp, that's where the main window is. Then when I restart it, it's back to the old wrong position.

Also, while I'm on the subject of 4K monitors, it doesn't seem that Winamp adjusts to them correctly. The main window menu bar, interface buttons, etc. are so small I practically need an electron microscope to see them. (the menu options are fine, but the menu bar itself is tiny)
fortissimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2020, 19:59   #2
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
Try wacup

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2020, 04:17   #3
fortissimo

5.66 vs 5.8

I use Winamp 5.8 - Wacup says it is for Winamp 5.66. Am I supposed to downgrade first?
Old 5th May 2020, 09:31   #4
Aminifu
Forum King

WACUP (pronounced 'wakeup') is neither an upgrade or downgrade for Winamp. It is a separate app, still in development, based on the last AOL Winamp release before AOL sold Winamp back in 2014. It is being developed by 1 of the last AOL Winamp developers. His goal is to provide bug fixes, updates of existing features, and most importantly new features to eventually become a highly Winamp compatible media player.

A good way to think about WACUP is that it is like a video game mod where you initially use the original game but then files related to it are added to or edited in-order to provide a better experience.

You can try the latest WACUP pre-release version or you can join it's beta test group and use the latest beta release. Both contain everything needed to install the app separate from a Winamp installation. The pre-release may be a little more stable than the beta, but it is still a work in progress.

Similar to Winamp 5.8, WACUP does not contain any of the old 3rd party Winamp features that were funded by AOL (like metadata lookup, CD burning, etc.). WACUP does come with a skin (user interface) that is designed to work well with 4K monitors.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Quinto Black CT v3.1 skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v2004 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2020, 13:33   #5
The1_Freeman

It should also be noted that if you try to install over a existing 5.8 install, the WACUP installer will not continue with a warning, so it's best to choose a separate folder.
The1_Freeman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2020, 21:58   #6
fortissimo

Cool. Just installed Wacup, and it doesn't have the window positioning bug on my 4K monitor.

Although I will say that every time I "add new media," it brings up a window that is always positioned below the bottom edge of my screen. The top part of the window is visible, but the bottom part (including the "Add" and "Cancel" buttons) are not visible until I move the window up. This was also an issue with Winamp 5.8.

Feature request: make it so the Modern skin looks normally-sized when in 4K resolution. I still need an electron microscope to use the interface.
Old 5th May 2020, 22:39   #7
Aminifu
Forum King

Have you tried the double size option (shortcut key is Ctrl+D)? Are you using the Big Bento Modern Windows 10 edition modern skin?

Register at the WACUP website (https://getwacup.com/community/index.php). There you can report issues and make feature requests directly to it's developer, Darren Owen (dro).

Old 6th May 2020, 05:17   #8
fortissimo

Oh wow, thanks. Didn't know about that. Best theme ever - very organized, and I like not having to fuss with a bunch of different windows.
Old 8th May 2020, 03:57   #9
Aminifu
Forum King

Yes, the developer of that skin, Victhor, is a great artist, imho. I highly recommend his work, however most of his skins were not designed for 4K monitors.

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports