Old 19th September 2020, 00:00   #1
CaptainDave

Send a message via ICQ to CaptainDave
When will we see the new WinAmp

Me and the Lamha have been kicking butt since winamp came out! When will we see the new WinAmp
CaptainDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2020, 17:23   #2
The1_Freeman

at this point, never, but you can always give WACUP a try
it's in active development and ways better than what Winamp 6 might turn out to be... IF it does come out
The1_Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2020, 12:11   #3
d3athstardisco

Just curious what people need a new winamp for? I use winamp to listen to music on my desktop and it has never failed.
d3athstardisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2020, 06:30   #4
Fishermanmax

It's more a matter of RAM consumption and interface responsiveness. If it is fast, then it has a chance, and if it starts for more than 3 seconds and slows down, then it makes no sense.
Fishermanmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2020, 16:58   #5
Aminifu
Forum King

It's 2020, CPU and RAM resources are meant to be used (in other words, what good is it having them sit idle). If the computer has a multi-core CPU running at 3 GHz or more and at least 6 GB of RAM then it should have no problems running Winamp or WACUP, with or without other apps running.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Quinto Black CT v3.1 skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v20H2 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2020, 09:58   #6
Class316

Just curious what's wrong with Winamp 5.8? It works very well on Windows 10.
Class316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2020, 14:43   #7
NJK
FRYSK BLOED TSJOCH OP- FRISIAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class316 View Post
Just curious what's wrong with Winamp 5.8? It works very well on Windows 10.

it all depends on plugins. With certain plugins it won't work on Windows 10.
Just a clean install of Winamp itself will work without any worry.

But since the majority of users all use plugins from a 3th party it will mess up settings and it makes Winamp itself unstable.

got 5.8 here working without any problems on 1 Windows 10 system but on other computers i still use 5.666

Each Thursday a new show on Celtica Radio with Darkwave music.

Nope, it's not a radiostation just a non stop darkwave music stream

WINAMPSHOUTCAST
NJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2020, 00:47   #8
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJK View Post
It's usually plug-ins that want to read and write data to the Windows registry. Beginning with Windows 7, Microsoft started blocking apps installed in sub-folders of the "Programs Files" and "Program Files (x86)" folders from writing to the registry on their own.

The weird thing is that apps installed in sub-folders of a drive's root folder do not have this restriction. Try installing Winamp in a root folder sub-folder instead of it's default location and you may find that most of the plug-ins that had issues don't anymore.

Old 11th October 2020, 07:41   #9
Class316

Quote:
Just a clean install of Winamp itself will work without any worry.

But since the majority of users all use plugins from a 3th party it will mess up settings and it makes Winamp itself unstable.

got 5.8 here working without any problems on 1 Windows 10 system but on other computers i still use 5.666
Like which plug ins have issues?
Old 11th October 2020, 08:34   #10
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Like which plug ins have issues?
For me it was some DSP, output and visualizer plug-ins released before Windows 7 was released that still didn't work after changing where Winamp was installed. I was lucky in getting their developers to make updates for some or found replacements for the features that were provided by others.

Old 11th October 2020, 22:12   #11
Class316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
For me it was some DSP, output and visualizer plug-ins released before Windows 7 was released that still didn't work after changing where Winamp was installed. I was lucky in getting their developers to make updates for some or found replacements for the features that were provided by others.
My main reason to use Winamp is playing sound formats already supported or putting in plugins of other formats and playing those. So I guess it would have no affect on me.

Though let's face it, 95% of the reason we use Winamp today is nostalgia and homage to what it once represented. VLC is really an awesome all round media player that plays most any format (movie or audio). It is what I primarily use to play movies. People under 35 today have no idea what Winamp is.

Heartbreaking to say it but it has gone the way of the fax machine in terms of relevancy.
Old 11th October 2020, 22:23   #12
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Though let's face it, 95% of the reason we use Winamp today is nostalgia and homage to what it once represented.
While I don't disagree with that statement, Winamp still has the most customization options (via plug-ins) available today. I've mostly moved on to WACUP (based on Winamp v.5666.3516) which is being actively developed and has added new features that reduce the relevancy gap.

The WACUP developer is willing to try to update or rewrite Winamp plug-ins that don't work well with WACUP, when possible. He has already done this for 6 of the plug-ins I use with Winamp.

I know that many people (young and old) don't like fooling around with an app's default configuration. If it doesn't meet their needs "out-of-the-box", they move on to something else. I like to adjust an app's defaults to better suit my needs, whenever possible.

Last edited by Aminifu; 11th October 2020 at 23:52.
Old 11th October 2020, 22:44   #13
Class316

Quote:
While I don't disagree with that statement, Winamp still has the most customization options (via plug-ins) available today. I've mostly moved on to WACUP (based on Winamp v.5666.3516) which is being actively developed.
It is true. The plugin system of Winamp is truly quite the art to say the least.

I'm using version 5.8 that's on the main page and it's working great for me on windows 10 Even though I hardly use it in this day and age. I honestly play more music on youtube than on my PC.

Though I'm getting a new disc drive in the mail soon that I will plug into my PC. I have too many music CDs, DVDs, and blu rays not to have one handy. I even got a couple of UHDs and the drive I got is "UHD friendly". Plus I want to get rid of my old burnt CDs and DVDs and copy the contents over to an external drive.

Maybe I'll even op in an audio CD and play it on Winamp for nostalgia if nothing else.

Though I must say,15 years ago never in my wildest dreams I would have imagined using an optical disc drive would one day be so archaic. A generation is going to grow up with no idea that discs were once a thing.
Old 12th October 2020, 18:54   #14
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:

Though I must say,15 years ago never in my wildest dreams I would have imagined using an optical disc drive would one day be so archaic. A generation is going to grow up with no idea that discs were once a thing.
Oh, so true! Technology marches on.

I'm 69. Do you know or remember why the OS starts labeling hard drives with the letter "C"? I still have some of those things (in an old dusty box in the garage) that went into those "A" and "B" drives (1st and 2nd generations).

For years I had been using my cell phone (fantasy devices when I was a kid) only for phone calls, but last year I finally got a smart phone and now use my cell phone for so much more. So you can teach some old dogs new tricks.

Old 12th October 2020, 23:21   #15
Class316

Quote:
Oh, so true! Technology marches on.

I'm 69. Do you know or remember why the OS starts labeling hard drives with the letter "C"? I still have some of those things (in an old dusty box in the garage) that went into those "A" and "B" drives (1st and 2nd generations).
I'm younger but I'm an Xennial so I do remember old technology well. Aren't they C drives because A was the 3.5" disk and B was the 5.25" floppy disk?

Quote:
For years I had been using my cell phone (fantasy devices when I was a kid) only for phone calls, but last year I finally got a smart phone and now use my cell phone for so much more. So you can teach some old dogs new tricks.
Welcome to 2009-2010.
Old 13th October 2020, 06:02   #16
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Aren't they C drives because A was the 3.5" disk and B was the 5.25" floppy disk?
Basically you are right. It doesn't matter now, but you could have had 1 or 2 of either kind installed. There is no sane reason why I still have a large box full of those disks and floppies.

As for the smart phone, I've always known how helpful they can be. I mostly didn't want to increase the strain on my eyes working with the small screens. I retired and moved to Arizona a couple years ago and now use my smart phone as a navigation aid (among other things). I still prefer my desktop with it's large monitor for surfing the internet and other computer related work. I've never liked laptops (the screens and keypads are too small for extended use, imo).

Old 13th October 2020, 07:42   #17
Class316

Quote:
Basically you are right. It doesn't matter now, but you could have had 1 or 2 of either kind installed. There is no sane reason why I still have a large box full of those disks and floppies.
Yes I'm aware. My first PC had a 3.5" floppy, windows 3.1, and no CD drive.
Old 13th October 2020, 18:56   #18
NJK
FRYSK BLOED TSJOCH OP- FRISIAN

Quote:
Yes I'm aware. My first PC had a 3.5" floppy, windows 3.1, and no CD drive.

How modern, my first PC was running on PCM and the second one was running on DOS.

the third one was my first windows system. Installing 3 discs Dos and than 22 or 26 discs of windows only to find out that at disc 20 it gave me an error and i had to do it over again.

you can't imagine how glad i was when i got a 1 speed CD Rom player that was connected to my soundcard and after installing the DOS discs and the soundcard Disc i could use a CD rom to install the windows......

Each Thursday a new show on Celtica Radio with Darkwave music.

Nope, it's not a radiostation just a non stop darkwave music stream

WINAMPSHOUTCAST
NJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2020, 22:22   #19
Class316

Quote:
How modern, my first PC was running on PCM and the second one was running on DOS.
I guess technically I had an Atari 800XL before that. But in terms of PC that was my first.

Quote:
the third one was my first windows system. Installing 3 discs Dos and than 22 or 26 discs of windows only to find out that at disc 20 it gave me an error and i had to do it over again.

you can't imagine how glad i was when i got a 1 speed CD Rom player that was connected to my soundcard and after installing the DOS discs and the soundcard Disc i could use a CD rom to install the windows......
I feel you pain. Man how dinosaur all that sounds compared to today when you can just click and in a few seconds you have a CD sized download on your hard drive.

I actually installed DOS 6.22 via disk images and Windows 3.1 via CD iso on PC Em just to bring back some memories.

What version of Windows had so many discs? Must have been Windows 95? I can't recall if I first installed mine on disk or CD. I think CD.
Old 14th October 2020, 06:14   #20
Aminifu
Forum King

I used DOS machines at work, so I waited for Windows before buying my 1st PC. It came without a math co-processor (which I was wrong to think I didn't need) and a hard drive too small to contain the OS (Windows 3.0) and all the programs that came in the software bundled with it. The software bundle was a big selling point for me. It pissed me off that I couldn't use it all until I got a larger hard drive.

Old 20th October 2020, 20:12   #21
ivancito

It is true although with the one I have, it is perfect for everything
ivancito is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion