Old 29th July 2003, 06:36   #1
geiss
Nullsoft Visualization Developer

milkdrop 1.04 beta 6

beta 6 is here:

http://www.geisswerks.com/t/milkdrop_104_beta_6.zip

notes:

-now when playlist is up, SHIFT+A-Z seeks upward (while lowercase/regular a-z seeks downward).

-fixed blurry text

-fixed clipping of onscreen text in low-video-memory situations. Now, if there isn't enough video memory to create an offscreen texture that is at least 75% of the size of the screen (or to create at least a 256x256 one), it won't bother using one, and will instead draw text directly to the screen. Otherwise, if the texture is from 75%-99% of the screen size, text will now at least appear in the correct position on the screen so that it will be visible; this will mean that the right- and bottom-aligned text will no longer be fully right/bottom-aligned to the edge of the screen.

-added 'meshx' and 'meshy' [read-only] variables to the preset init, per-frame, and per-pixel equations (...and inc'd the size of the global variable pool by 2).

-cranked max. meshsize up to 96x72

-now the 'q' variables, as modified by the preset per-frame equations, are again readable by the custom waves + custom shapes. Sorry about that. Should be the end of the 'q' confusion.

-removed t1-t8 vars for Custom Shapes; they were unnecessary (since there's no per-point code there).

-created a visual map for the flow of values for the q1-q8 and t1-t8 variables: q_and_t_vars.gif (or something). http://www.geisswerks.com/t/q_and_t_vars.gif

-protected custom waves from trying to draw when # of sample minus the separation is < 2 (or 1 if drawing with dots); this might cause the instabilities around the # of samples for custom waves.

-increased max. # of custom shapes, and custom waves, from 3 to 4

-custom shapes:
-each frame, custom shapes now draw BEFORE regular waveform + custom waves
-added 'texture' option, which allows you to use the last frame as a texture on the shape
-added "tex_ang" and "tex_zoom" params to control the texture coords
-added init + per-frame vars: "texture", "additive", "thick", "tex_ang", "tex_zoom"

-fixed some [minor] preset-blending bugs in the custom wave code

-fixed valid characters for filenames when importing/exporting custom shapes/waves; also, it now gives error messages on error in import/export.

-VJ mode is partially restored; the rest will come with beta 7 or the final release. At the time of beta 6, VJ mode still has some glitches in it, but I'm working on them. Most notably, it doesn't resize the text image when you resize the window; that's next on my list.

-------------------------------------

BTW, don't forget to check out the flow chart for the propagation of the values of the q1-q8 and t1-t8 variables:
http://www.geisswerks.com/t/q_and_t_vars.gif
...and let me know if you see anything that will make it backwards-incompatible with milkdrop 1.03. Unfortunately, some presets created since 1.04 beta 1 might have to be fixed, but probably not too many.

-------------------------------------

One more reminder... if anyone wants to volunteer to round up everyone's submissions of v1.04 presets into one handy zip file for me, I will be their best friend. =)

Peace,
Ryan
geiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2003, 09:42   #2
Morninglight

Send a message via ICQ to Morninglight
VJ mode is back

I will test drive it
Morninglight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2003, 09:44   #3
ryan
not fucked, not quite.
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to ryan
YAY!

Fixed the song change freeze bug.
Text is crisp

--

Time to do some work tommorrow

NICE WORK!
ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2003, 12:18   #4
Rovastar

Send a message via AIM to Rovastar
Actually I have a problem with th etext. You know in the song title you have ... when the length is too big.

Well it does this now for text when they are too big

eg

02 - ((( in surround where available )))

becomes

((( in surround where availabl...

As it thinks it is too long.

Too stuff.... BTW forgot yto say hgow nice the new transitions are. Not exactly what I waslooking for but it does give MD a lot more variety.

I'll post a zip shortly. Compiling a new list now. Also include some of the ones that may be worthy over the last 14 months since teh last release.

But.... Are we still having the same system for the presets directories. With like 5,000 of them it is a bit of a mare at time. I suggest have them by author and a tick box system for selecting the authors prresest you will like to see. I can change my presets on my website and update the new ones to fall into the correct directories.

Or maybe by time.

At the very least can we have subdirectory (or better still select multiple directory a la backup software slection trees) support.

What do others think?

"Rules are for the guidance of wisemen and the obedience of fools"

Visuals - Morphyre www.Morphyre.com
Rovastar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2003, 13:36   #5
Rovastar

Another bug:

The Motion vectors seem to have the Y value reversed. My sprirt Cave Lights now are at the top of the screen.

This was wrong in the previous betas too.

Old 29th July 2003, 14:45   #6
Illusion
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Illusion
The problem with the menus not resizing with the window seems to be fine, and the other problems associated with the fix slow text seem to have disappeared. I can confirm Rova's bug with the text, wouldn't it be easier just to wrap text onto the next line or something if it's too long?

I like the new menu system, it looks a lot cleaner having fewer main menus.

I think that Rova's idea about grouping presets by author is a good one, although given the multitude of different combinations of authors, it could be quite confusing. Maybe we could just include presets under the name of the first author listed for that preset? That tends to be the person who modded it last.

The "texture" option on the custom shape looks *amazing*, even on my dodgy computer, that is a really cool effect. And you can even do effects within the shapes with the zoom and everything! Very, very nice indeed

Another top beta Ryan, MD is getting better and better

(Just one little thing - am I the only person who can't see these different transitions between the different presets? The preset transitions look the same as always to me. )

Just wondering, what was that you were saying in the other thread about Thursday being your last day? What's going on there? Does that you mean you won't be able to make any more Winamp plugins?
Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2003, 15:47   #7
ryan
not fucked, not quite.
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to ryan
Why not presets that are mods just go into a "mods" folder?
ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2003, 17:09   #8
Rovastar

Re: milkdrop 1.04 beta 6

Quote:
Originally posted by geiss
One more reminder... if anyone wants to volunteer to round up everyone's submissions of v1.04 presets into one handy zip file for me, I will be their best friend. =)
Being my best friend is not required.

http://www.milkdrop.co.uk/downloads/... July 2003.zip

Incidently I have complied (paintakingly) all the other missing presets from my website. We all we need to do now is to decide on a 'better??' system to orginise the presets. And I will update the website accordingly.

Later I wil fix a few of the altars of madness ones so they look ok with ahigh mesh size. ALready written some version but want to play a little more. Andcomplie a best of or something of what has come out in the past year.

BTW Max mesh looks great Give a whole new demension to some of teh presets. It is all I will ever use.

Old 29th July 2003, 19:36   #9
Zylot
Major Dude

Giess:

Load up my Block of Sound (Abstract Architecture) preset. There's a problem where the X coords for the shape is not the same as the X Coords for the per frame/per pixel code. Thereby my triangle keeps leaving the block.

-------------
What do you wish for?
--Instrumentality
Zylot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2003, 21:19   #10
papaw00dy

Send a message via ICQ to papaw00dy Send a message via AIM to papaw00dy Send a message via Yahoo to papaw00dy
slow down when using sprites

I use the sprite capabilities of milkdrop a lot. I've attached my sprite ini file for you to check out. I always use a blank sprite (99) to load the texture into memory and keep it there so the other presets work fast. Sometimes you get a big slowdown.

I guess the real solution to this would be one of my feature requests. The ability to continually burnout a sprite into the screen without unloading it. Which would be sweet and allow for a lot more innovative sprite usage.

Also I was curious if you planned on changing up the default sprite ini file for the final release. Perhaps we could start a thread for contributions, and if you could implement that feature request, I would definately be willing to throw some together for the 1.04 release.

On another tip, try holding down the 22 sprite with a pretty basic shape with black background for the image, and Zylots - Refracted Spectrum preset and watch your image dance to the beat.
Attached Files
File Type: zip milk_img.zip (5.0 KB, 227 views)

Last edited by papaw00dy; 29th July 2003 at 21:42.
papaw00dy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2003, 00:34   #11
Rovastar

ZYlot are you sure?

I presume the centre of the triangle will be the middle and there will be some overlap with that of the per_Pixel square.

Old 30th July 2003, 01:12   #12
Zylot
Major Dude

Rova: I've checked checked and checked again, the traingle is not moving as far to the edges as the per pixel square, and keeps leaving it.

-------------
What do you wish for?
--Instrumentality
Old 30th July 2003, 05:31   #13
Rozzor

The problem Zylot noted above was fixed in beta 3 but got unfixed again in beta 4. Beta 3 was the only version where the spiral graphs in the preset "Milkdrop is a Superscope only Better" are round. (I am paying for my hubris in naming that preset.) Beta 3 is also the last beta where "Icebreaker" worked but I believe that is an unrelated problem. Monitor q1 in Icebreaker -- it should not be zero. I started out trying to mod these two for the new release and realized that something (I will try to diagnose it better than "something" after I post this) is very wrong.

I'm attaching both presets plus a few that Rovastar missed.

If you can make number of samples something we can modify per frame in the custom waves, I strongly believe I could make a milkdrop mod of at least 80% of the AVS presets made. If that is too hard, perhaps add a parameter "Multiply sample number by q1" and if that is set to yes make the sample number an int of the sample number times q1 (with an lower and upper bound of 1 and 512).

I am sick at heart at the idea of Milkdrop's creator no longer being paid to work on it. We all fervently hope that that is not to be.
Attached Files
File Type: zip foo.zip (56.1 KB, 254 views)
Rozzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2003, 12:52   #14
Rozzor

I figured out what the "something" that was wrong was. It was user error, *not* a problem with the beta. The problem with both Zylot's preset and my non-round spiral graphs is that we both used a 4/3 correction for width/height. That was corrected in later betas. The problem with the spiral graphs not moving as they should had to do with basing the code on a earlier version of the flow of values for the q1-q8 and t1-t8 variables. Once I looked at the chart carefully enough I got it. The key is to never increment the q values or the t values with every frame. Increment something else and assign it to a q value or a t value. The change in how q values are assigned may break some v1.03 presets, but I volunteer to help find them and fix them. I'm convinced that there are not many.

Zylot, I bet you will agree that your preset in the attached zip is as it should be.

I think "multiply sample number by t1" would be better than what I suggested in the last post.
Attached Files
File Type: zip fixed for six.zip (6.0 KB, 252 views)

Last edited by Rozzor; 30th July 2003 at 13:20.
Old 30th July 2003, 14:18   #15
Rozzor

Also I'm wondering if the attached preset is working correctly. Maybe it is and Winamp's channels are out of phase at high frequencies.
Attached Files
File Type: zip chirp.zip (5.6 KB, 208 views)
Old 30th July 2003, 17:58   #16
Zylot
Major Dude

Rozzor: thanx for the effort, but there's still the problem. You made it less obvious... but the center of the triangle should always be in the center of the per pixel block....

-------------
What do you wish for?
--Instrumentality
Old 30th July 2003, 20:51   #17
StudioMusic
Major Dude

So far no problems here. Wonderful job on the playlist. SM
StudioMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2003, 21:52   #18
geiss
Nullsoft Visualization Developer

Milkdrop 1.04 RC-1 is here... new thread:

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=144176
geiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Visualizations > MilkDrop > MilkDrop Troubleshooting Forum