Old 25th July 2003, 01:45   #1
geiss
Nullsoft Visualization Developer

milkdrop 1.04 beta 4

Beta 4 is here. Download it from:

www.geisswerks.com/t/milkdrop_104_beta_4.zip

So, lots of stuff has been fixed. Hopefully no more terrible crashes. </shivers>

By far, though, the hardest thing to fix, and the coolest, was the slow text. It should now be nice and speedy (as long as you have enough video memory!). It now tries to create an offscreen texture to render all the text to, and then that is overlaid onto milkdrop every frame. If no text changes from frame to frame, then the texture is left unchanged. Or, if only a small amount of text is changed, it erases the old & redraws the new (in addition to whatever needs redrawn because the erasures caused dirty rectangles).

Also, lots of little instabilities fixed. I would guess that a lot of the instabilities
introduced in beta 3 were from the song titles; if you're still having problems @ startup,
try going into the config panel and disabling "automatic song title popups on song change"
or whatever.

Krash, Digital Flame's wave position should be fixed now, and Rova, waveform 7 is fixed now. One simple, clean fix took care of both (and probably others).

And Krash, great insight on the Noughts & Crosses preset - you were right
on both points. I'd expanded the max. variable bool size by 10, but I had added 11 new built-in variables, so 1 variable was overflowing it. That's fixed now. Also, as far as q1-q8, you are also right about that - I had changed the behavior somewhat - each frame, it was saving the values at the end of the very last pixel processed, and using those as the q1-q8 for the next frame. Since that's not really backwards-compatible, I changed it back.

Here are some more notes on the changes/fixes:

-added checkbox to config screen to automatically turn SCROLL LOCK on @ startup
-added alphanumeric seeking to the playlist; while playlist is up, you can now press A-Z and 0-9 to seek to the next song in the playlist that starts with that character.
-<fixed major bug w/illegal mem access on song title launches; could have been causing crashing madness @ startup on many systems>
-<fixed bug w/saving 64x48 mesh size>
-<fixed squashed shapes>
-<fixed 'invert' variable>
-<fixed squashed song titles + custom msgs>
-<might have fixed scroll lock stuff>
-<might have fixed crashing; could have been due to null ptr for failed creation of song title texture.>
-<also might have solved any remaining resize or exit bugs by callign SetTexture(NULL) in DX8 cleanup.>
-<fixed sizing issues with songtitle font.>
-<fixed a potentially bogus call to deallocate memory on exit, when it was cleaning up the menus.>
-<fixed more scroll lock issues>
-<fixed broken Noughts & Crosses presets; max # of per-frame vars was one too few, after the additions of the new built-in variables.>
-<hopefully fixed waveforms>

I think that wraps it up... sorry for killing everyone's computers with the song titles on that last beta... it should be good now, let me know if not!

Peace,
Ryan
geiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2003, 02:03   #2
ryan
not fucked, not quite.
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to ryan
I don't know if you fixed this, but when your importing/exporting shape\wave .dat files you can't use the / to change dir. I tried saving a wave onto my desktop to send to zylot, but it says / is an illegal character.

Also, when I run fake fullscren\windowed mode my screen jitters. I mean the whole screen, not just the area MD is using. Also if I use 900x720 (I think thats it?) resolution it jitters.

And I'm still getting the 'freeze on song change' bug.

One more edit, the text is a bit hard to read now.. any way of making it a bit sharper?
ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2003, 02:21   #3
Illusion
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Illusion
Hi Ryan,

Just tried running beta4 on one of the computers at uni (GF2MX400), everything seems to be working fine as far as I can see, no crashing /locking up, or anything like that. Have only looked at it briefly though.

I will try it on my Voodoo3 when I get home, and see whether beta4 has any problems.

edit:

OK, I'm at home now, and have tried running beta4 - it does actually run, and the window resizing seems to work fine.

However, when you check the 'fix slow text', all kinds of strange stuff happens to the text on resizing. Menus only go down as far as the original window size, and particular sizes of the window make text disappear, not show up, or look all messed up. When this box is not ticked there don't seem to be any problems with this.

Otherwise, this version looks great - titles are all fine, and there is probably a 50 - 100% speed increase on v1.03. The 'scroll lock' checkbox works, the alphanumeric playlist searching works, and I haven't noticed any waveform problems.

Thanks again Ryan, you've done a great job. Now, if you could just add in the ability to display info from the ID3 tag, and some options for wrapping text that doesn't fit onto one line... MilkDrop would be almost perfect

Is there anything else on the wishlist that might be able to go into the next version?

Last edited by Illusion; 25th July 2003 at 04:47.
Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2003, 06:53   #4
geiss

Holy shit. You guys are gonna freak out when you see beta 5. OMG, it's full of stars. Can you say, "realtime hardware fractals in milkdrop?" Woot!
Old 25th July 2003, 07:01   #5
papaw00dy

Send a message via ICQ to papaw00dy Send a message via AIM to papaw00dy Send a message via Yahoo to papaw00dy
for some reason, I get serious slow downs, about half fps or less when I'm in desktop mode and my computer tries to put something transparent over milkdrop.
papaw00dy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2003, 07:17   #6
geiss

Idiot,

What version of Winamp do you have? Have you tried unchecking the "integrate with winamp" checkbox? What happens if you press 't' a bunch of times? What happens if you try and run it w/o automatic song title popups (and don't press 't')? And finally, a really dumb question: are you sure it's not just the end of your playlist and repeat is off? Heh. Anyway, you don't have to answer all these questions, but I thought they might help troubleshoot it.

Also, concerning the blurry text - it should be crisp; what video card do you have again? And think there's any way I could get you (or anyone w/this prob) to post a screenshot?

Thanks man!
-Ryan
Old 25th July 2003, 07:20   #7
afidel

Send a message via ICQ to afidel
Quote:
Originally posted by geiss
Holy shit. You guys are gonna freak out when you see beta 5. OMG, it's full of stars. Can you say, "realtime hardware fractals in milkdrop?" Woot!
Any chance to have it up today (meaning Friday)? I have a gig on Sat and would LOVE to have something like that to wow the crowd with =)
afidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2003, 07:31   #8
geiss

Sure thing...

http://www.geisswerks.com/t/milkdrop...e_surprise.zip

Includes 2 presets that show how it works. =) HEhehe....
Old 25th July 2003, 08:09   #9
afidel

Send a message via ICQ to afidel
OMFG!! That is SO cool.
I hope I can make up some stuff in the next ~48 hours to really take some advantage of this, it will really trip some people out =)
afidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2003, 08:50   #10
Rovastar

Send a message via AIM to Rovastar
NIce stuff Ryan. Will have fun with the feedback effect, already doing stuff.

NOw to the problems.......

q variables don't transcend arcoss to the shapes. Just registers a zero value. thus breaking some of my presets.

A request can I have the mesh size as a variable for use in perframe and per_pixel. As now with the new mesh size some of my Altars of madness presets with the detailed dx and dy motion look messed up.

Used to ru them all in 48x36 but on the new 64x48 things look wrong. I figure that will the mesh size parameter I can regulate them.

If I have a mesh soi

"Rules are for the guidance of wisemen and the obedience of fools"

Visuals - Morphyre www.Morphyre.com
Rovastar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2003, 09:48   #11
Reenen

This is actually more of a feature request...

I'd like to have each of the new milkdrops change their config file to milkdrop_config_betaX.ini because, currently the last one I got crashed (or was too slow for any preset authoring), so I want to revert to MD 1.03 easily. The DLL could just be renamed, but the .ini file uses the same name, and switching around is not all that pleasant.

This is just so that all the updating and downgrading goes easier.

Thanks.

I just downloaded beta4 so I hope that I'll be able to get to see how the custom waveforms work now...

-Reenen
Reenen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2003, 14:52   #12
Esotic

Send a message via AIM to Esotic
Bug Report and Request

I have a dual screen setup with 2 video cards (STB 4400 and ATI 8500). In the options screen I tell windowed mode to start on the 4400 and fullscreen on the 8500. The windowed mode always shows up on the 8500.

Also, would it be possible to get the "VJ Window" back? I actually use it quite alot.

On the plus side... I ran two copies of Beta3 (one one machine) without too many issues. The machine was slow to respond to keyboard events until I capped the FPS at 10 for my preview and 30 for my live window.

Thank you easter geiss bunny,

-Esotic
Esotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2003, 14:59   #13
Illusion
Major Dude

v1.04beta4b is amazing Ryan - those fractals look so cool.. plus they don't even slow down any presets at all

Oh, BTW, with regard to Idiot's problem, I also experienced some weird things with the text being a little blurry. Although, it may just be the default fonts MD chooses, as I can't seem to reproduce this fault on any particular settings. There is still the problem with the 'fix slow text' box having some weird side effects though.

Again, top work Ryan
Old 25th July 2003, 15:42   #14
Krash
Major Dude

first preset milkdrop loaded when I started it up was Feedback2. I'm utterly gobsmacked. Totally smacked in the gob.

- Krash

Eighty-three percent of all statistical quotes are made up on the spot.
Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2003, 15:57   #15
Krash
Major Dude

Still on the subject of the q* variables...

In my recent preset "Framed Geometry", I have some beat detection code in the overall per_frame code. This outputs a q variable, which I then used in the per_frame of custom waves to calculate offsets. This doesn't work anymore. The custom waves aren't responding to the q variable at all. Once that's fixed, I'll have a fractal version of that preset ready - and then we can watch the AVSers scramble towards the light =]

Oh, and a question, 'cause I'm curious - are more custom waves feasible? Or do they increase the amount of processing and momeory and such in an exponential, rather than linear fashion? I ask, 'cause AVS can use as many oscilloscopes as they want. Of course, as they use more, AVS' framerate goes from turtle speed to grass-growing speed. Also, I understand that adding more custom waves makes the editing menu bigger - in which case you could just have a "custom waves" menu option, and a "custom shapes" menu option, with however many custom things you can squeeze in. Obviously, too many custom waves and fractals and such will eventually slow any machine.

It seems that Milkdrop is gradually morphing into "AVS, except it doesn't suck"

- Krash

Last edited by Krash; 25th July 2003 at 16:29.
Old 25th July 2003, 17:11   #16
Zylot
Major Dude

Problem:

f2,3,4,5 etc.. displays won't show up.
When I hit L I get a list of rpesets with only half of them showing up. The bottom half of that "block" of presets is just black.

-------------
What do you wish for?
--Instrumentality
Zylot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2003, 17:18   #17
Zylot
Major Dude

Actully, it's the whole screen, only the top half of it seems to be able to display text.

-------------
What do you wish for?
--Instrumentality
Old 25th July 2003, 17:40   #18
Krash
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by Zylot
Problem:

Works for me...

Old 25th July 2003, 17:44   #19
ryan
not fucked, not quite.
(Forum King)

http://idiot.ath.cx/pics/md1.jpg <-- screenshot
Repeat is on and it's the middle, begenning, left, rigth, north, south, of my playlist

My video card is kind of old: TNT2 m64\m64pro (manufactured by PNY)
Old 25th July 2003, 17:53   #20
ryan
not fucked, not quite.
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by Krash

first preset milkdrop loaded when I started it up was Feedback2. I'm utterly gobsmacked. Totally smacked in the gob.

- Krash
If a gob is what I think it is, mines gone.
Old 25th July 2003, 20:17   #21
StudioMusic
Major Dude

The best yet. Ok works great on both PC's now. The crashing on the custom Waves is still there though. For example: Go in to edit mode them custom wave and turn number of samples to its lowest or highest point and major reboot required. Wonderful job on the playlist selection, only one more thing regarding that, when you cycle through the letter it comes to the end and will not cycle back again nor can you select another letter unless it comes after where your first cycle left off, maybe you can make continuous cycling. Yes you can do page up to get back to the top but requires an extra button push. Also hope this is not to much to ask but in fullscreen mode would it be possible to make a volume counter show up say the bottom right hand corner when you push the up and down arrow keys for the volume maybe something like 0 to 100 so you know approx how much winamp volume you have left. Would be Ok for all screen modes though. Wonderful, fantastic work on this beta. Very busy today getting ready to go to my family birthday. SM
StudioMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2003, 00:04   #22
geiss

Illusion,

What drivers are you using for your voodoo3? I tried my voodoo3 and it totally barfed; actually, my system barfed, before I even tried to run milkdrop.

Thanks man-
-Ryan
Old 26th July 2003, 00:32   #23
Zylot
Major Dude

lol, your system is allergic to old, crappy video cards.

You need the latest official drivers from www.voodoofiles.com. if I slow text fix off, everything works grade A 100% "milkdrop loves me and I love milkdrop" perfect. I can evebn alt tab out and not have it crash on the way back in Beta 4.

-------------
What do you wish for?
--Instrumentality
Old 26th July 2003, 03:21   #24
Illusion
Major Dude

Ryan, I'm using the Omega Drivers v1.03, which I downloaded from the net. I'm not sure if these are the latest version or not.

Using the standard drivers that came with my card just made MilkDrop come up with a white screen, not sure if that was the problem you were having.

Is there any possible way around the maximum texture size for the Voodoo3? MilkDrop can run at 80fps on 800 x 600, but it looks terrible because of the texture size.

Obviously Zylot & I are both experiencing some weird bug from the 'fix slow text', is this just because of the Voodoo3 card, or has anyone else had this problem?
Old 26th July 2003, 03:55   #25
Zylot
Major Dude

Soudns like voodoo3 doesn't have enough videomemory for that extra texture when slow text is fixed.

I had the white screenw ehn I had my old third party drivers, I got the new official ones and it works.

-------------
What do you wish for?
--Instrumentality
Old 26th July 2003, 13:05   #26
Rozzor

Superlatives fail, I have to resort to smilies:

How are we doing as far as feedback goes? I've got some more bug reports to throw in.

Version 5 (the surprise preview) has the t variables not carrying over from frame to frame so it does not show my spiral graph presets correctly. So for anyone who wants to see what I'm coding right now the way I'm seeing them, go back to version 4.

I'm still having big scroll lock problems, mostly having to do with the scroll lock light. My last description of them was rather incoherent, maybe someone else has experienced this? This morning the scroll lock and light went off "by itself" twice.

There are minor cosmetic bugs that still exist that I and other people have reported before. If you want I can report again.

The temptation to make a new feature request in this thread is irresistable. I not only want to control the number of samples but the left/right separation now.

Feature requests have been turning up in:

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....72#post1027272

and:

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=141754

and a discussion of converting AVS to milkdrop is going on here:

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=143446
Rozzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2003, 21:39   #27
|EM|Snake

Send a message via ICQ to |EM|Snake
Sprites and text messages within MD

Ryan -

Any chance of having either of the above mentioned features automated? By automated, I mean change/display after a system event. e.g. Song change or time event occur?

Thanks for a great application. Keep up the good work.
|EM|Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2003, 14:51   #28
UnConeD
Whacked Moderator

(Already posted elsewhere, but I'll repost here where it's easy to find)

Bug that happened to me in windowed mode... at certain window sizes, when moving to the last line of code in a long per-point section, MD would already move on to the next page (even though the indicated line and the cursor were still on the previous one).

UnConeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2003, 18:48   #29
ryan
not fucked, not quite.
(Forum King)

Update on my "Freeze on song change" bug. I found a way around it. After it freezes I can press alt-enter to switch back to windowed and it will keep running and I can switch back to fullscreen.
Old 27th July 2003, 20:32   #30
StudioMusic
Major Dude

Something is not right with this version. I am not sure what it is yet or how to explain it. When I do I will let you know, all I can say is some of the presets are not reacting the way they are suppose to. Wish I could give you more input on this matter. SM
Old 27th July 2003, 23:28   #31
|EM|Snake

Send a message via ICQ to |EM|Snake
Performance Under MD Betas

Ryan, et al :

I've ran all beta versions and I've yet to see any of the issues being described by others. All 1.03 presets I have work great and no probs with 1.04 presets either. Only noticable difference for me is presets seem to run faster and it seems like MD is sticking closer to the framerates I specify.

System Specs :

p4 2.4 gig
512 MB Ram
ASUS Geforce 4 Ti-4600 (running 44.90 dets)
win xp pro sp1
dx 9.0
winamp 2.92
|EM|Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2003, 23:57   #32
ryan
not fucked, not quite.
(Forum King)

2.92?

Do you mean 2.91 or 2.95?
Old 28th July 2003, 09:30   #33
Reenen

Text Stuff

Quote:
Originally posted by Zylot
Problem:

When I hit L I get a list of rpesets with only half of them showing up. The bottom half of that "block" of presets is just black.
Ok, here is my way of explaining this: (with fix_slow_text on)
Ryan said that he prerenders the text off-screen and then displays it on the screen. The fix_slow_text text is only the size of your texture size. So if you have a 512x512 or 1024x1024 the size of your text that will be displayed is that size. Ie. if your resolution is much higher than your texture size then it should only display about that ratio of your window.

I noticed that when I tried to run MD 1.04 beta4b in 1024x768 with a 512x512 texture it was *VERY* slow with text, as soon as all (and I mean ALL) the text was off, it would run excellent. So now I am running 640x480 and I am having a ball. The text is blurry, but hey... at least it is quick and I can run it.

-Reenen
Reenen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2003, 12:56   #34
Telek

I've managed to isolate the problem I described earlier re problems with the value2 variable in my 'Globetrotting' presets. I found that by changing the number of samples, I could find one that worked (from memory i think there were a few around 337 or so. If you have a play with it (in custom wave 2) you will see that it seems to be random - some work, some don't (all above 469 work...)

Presets posted here:
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....4&goto=newpost

ps I also still find (especially in windowed mode) that MD will run faster with 'little' text on screen, but there is less sound corruption with more text (ie: lower fps).

Telek Sterling
Dilettante Extraordinaire
Telek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2003, 20:19   #35
Morninglight

Send a message via ICQ to Morninglight
do I see the Vj function at the horizon?

my VJ career depends on it
Morninglight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2003, 01:30   #36
StudioMusic
Major Dude

Ryan, whatever that unknown problem I was having (5 post up) is gone, I intalled directx 90b and it is gone. Not sure if directx fixed it or not, but it is back to normal now. Still have the crashing in the custom waves though. Anyone else? SM
Old 29th July 2003, 06:22   #37
geiss

Hey all,

I've "officialized" the flow of the q1-q8 (and t1-t8) vars through milkdrop. Check out the diagram here:

http://www.geisswerks.com/t/q_and_t_vars.gif

This propagation scheme *should* be backwards compatible with milkdrop 1.03 - let me know ASAP if you see something that will break older presets. Unfortunately, the value flow in the 1.04 betas has been all over the map; but this diagram shows what it will be in the final (and in beta 6).

Oh, and VJ mode is almost back in.

Oh, and also, I might get laid off thursday. But I will do my *best* to get this out before then, in case that happens. If anyone wants to volunteer to round up everyone's submissions of v1.04 presets into one handy zip file for me, I will be their best friend. =)

Thanks a quadrillion-

Cheers,
Ryan
Old 29th July 2003, 06:23   #38
ryan
not fucked, not quite.
(Forum King)

WOW... Confusing
Old 29th July 2003, 06:37   #39
geiss

beta 6 is here:

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=143974
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Visualizations > MilkDrop > MilkDrop Troubleshooting Forum