Old 31st July 2003, 22:37   #1
geiss
Nullsoft Visualization Developer

MilkDrop 1.04 final released

http://www.nullsoft.com/free/milkdrop/

Many, many thanks to everyone for their help. I'm sorry I couldn't get more of the feature requests in, but as many of you know, there was some risk if I didn't get it done by today. So, hopefully it is in good shape now.

In a few months (3-6?) I'll wrap up a new installer (1.04b) and include all the cool new presets that have come out. The current presets are cool, but most were developed on 1.03 or earlier, and the potential of the new stuff in 1.04 is (as a few people here have mentioned) still largely unexplored.

Thanks again - cheers everybody!

Peace,
Ryan
geiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2003, 22:48   #2
ryan
not fucked, not quite.
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to ryan
Very nice work man.. Sorry about aol screwing you over like that and all though..

You have great talent though, I'm sure you will find something that suits you well

Best of luck.

-idiot
ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2003, 23:00   #3
Morninglight

Send a message via ICQ to Morninglight
w00t
Morninglight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2003, 23:05   #4
dirkdeftly
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to dirkdeftly
umm...well, it's nice to see that you finally have custom waveforms (just one of the many, many, many things you're gonna have to do to approach avs's capabilities), but that installer is annoying as fuck...
1: get rid of the setting md to default
2: get rid of having to turn off winamp (i've seen very few dll installers that need to do this and i doubt this does, unless it's for that default change)
3: don't default md to always on top, it's just irritating.

:my $0.02:

"guilt is the cause of more disauders
than history's most obscene marorders" --E. E. Cummings
dirkdeftly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2003, 23:08   #5
Zylot
Major Dude

;(

-------------
What do you wish for?
--Instrumentality
Zylot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2003, 03:22   #6
geiss

> just one of the many, many, many things you're gonna have to do to approach avs's capabilities

I can see you're a devout MilkDrop fan...

> but that installer is annoying as fuck...
1: get rid of the setting md to default

First, please don't shed your animosity on this board by using bad language in an aggressive tone like that.

Anyway, to address the issue... sorry, but that behavior is preferable for 90% of the population that attempts to install these weird "plugin" things, so that's how it's gonna be. You can press CTRL+K since you already know how - it won't kill you.

> 2: get rid of having to turn off winamp (i've seen very few dll installers that need to do this and i doubt this does, unless it's for that default change)

There are two reasons for it: 1) it ensures that vms_desktop.dll isn't open because some other vms-based plugin is running in desktop mode, and 2) it's the only way to set MilkDrop as the default plug-in. (there's no windows message to tell Winamp to re-read winamp.ini.)

> 3: don't default md to always on top, it's just irritating.

When does it do that?
Old 1st August 2003, 03:30   #7
geiss

Idiot, you wrote:

> Very nice work man.. Sorry about aol screwing you over like that and all though..

Just for the record, I don't think they're screwing me over. Money is tight at AOL now and they have to do something about it, period. The first things to go are research/accessory positions, which mine sort of is. They're actually a really good company to work for; just about everyone I've met there is super-nice; and they're not out to screw consumers, but to make a product worthy of them. They've treated me really well and I appreciate it and respect the company.

I am very bummed that I won't be able to work on visualizations anymore... but to be honest, I knew it was coming, sooner or later. I/we'll figure something out here.

Peace,
Ryan
Old 1st August 2003, 06:48   #8
Trillian Miles

Send a message via ICQ to Trillian Miles
Thank you Geiss.
I am music composer&producer original.But I'm took the step into visualizers. All because of milkdrop.
Joy!!
Trillian Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2003, 06:52   #9
Illusion
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Illusion
Thanks heaps Ryan, you've done a fantastic job, and there are heaps of great new effects to play with.

So this is basically it for MilkDrop and visualisations as far as you're concerned? Is the code "owned" by AOL / Nullsoft now, or are you still able to develop it?
Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2003, 07:39   #10
Rovastar

Send a message via AIM to Rovastar
FOr some reason I have not been able to get to forums.winamp.com over the last few days o I presumed that the site was down. But oh no there has been RC1 and now 1.04 final. lol.

Ryan mate you still manage to include the wromg versions of my altars of madness presets that I emailed you. They look so wrong in a high mesh.

I'll post them the 'fixed' versions in the preset forums now.

"Rules are for the guidance of wisemen and the obedience of fools"

Visuals - Morphyre www.Morphyre.com
Rovastar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2003, 07:39   #11
Psilocybin

Quote:
So this is basically it for MilkDrop and visualisations as far as you're concerned? Is the code "owned" by AOL / Nullsoft now, or are you still able to develop it?
Mr. Geiss, thank you for all of your hard work on all of your plugins. I just hope AOL doesn't own the code, so you can either in your freetime further the code or even GPL / Open Source it.

-psi
Psilocybin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2003, 08:29   #12
FatalDischarge

¤Here is my $0.02¤

atero, get a life... what is the url of your visual program (e.g. site/forum/personal web page/guest book/etc.) that you have? your a little nieve. anyhow, i dont want to waste too much time with you, so i wont.

Ryan, what i really want to know is, what exactly do you do for aol? if you ask me you already do too much for them. do they own the code or what? it seems to me that if they did you wouldnt be giving this away for free; or so frequently and hastilly lately. im not saying its been "rushed" but im amazed at the frequency of your updates. how do you do it?!?!

anyhow, dont let aol dick you around. you can go anywhere and do whatever you want. youve already proven you can be great at whatever you do. (applause)

PMs if its more appropriate. and to give a word up - 3dragons your the man! i expect more from you later.

¤$0.04¤
FatalDischarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2003, 08:59   #13
Rovastar

All, MilkDrop is (c) Nullsoft in fact all Ryan's visualization work is (c) Nullsoft expect for his own first Geiss plugin. So Nullsoft/AOL/TW own it. I thought that much was clear.

Lets not get into tooo much AOL bashing on these forums people.

Old 1st August 2003, 09:04   #14
FatalDischarge

im sorry, but, how can you not bash aol?
(shudder)

""Rules are for the guidance of wisemen and the obedience of fools""

(you know what im saying?)
FatalDischarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2003, 14:02   #15
ryan
not fucked, not quite.
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to ryan
I guess I kind of turned this into a bash aol thread with my post .. Sorry
ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2003, 16:22   #16
Zylot
Major Dude

ungh, Ok, Atero is a militant AVSer, AVS isn't bad... but it's low framerates and higher level fo difficulty turn some people off. it has, however, a potential to create much much more advanced visualizations then Milkdrop could.

Anywayss, I am mourning the loss of my fav plugin' now... It's a happy day as much as a sad one.

-------------
What do you wish for?
--Instrumentality
Zylot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2003, 04:52   #17
Krash
Major Dude

Eep! What's up with the motion vectors?

Sorry, I should have noticed this before the final...

Watching my preset "Systolic Pressure" - For starters, the motion vectors don't seem as opaque as they once were - that's fine. The per_frame line which reads: mv_a = if(beat, 0.1, ib_a), just set it to 0.2 instead of 0.1

Now you can see the motion vectors, and you can see they aren't right. The center of activity of the motion vectors - where they all converge - is y-inverted with respect to the position of the wave and the center of motion... are the motion vectors being drawn wrong?

- Krash

Eighty-three percent of all statistical quotes are made up on the spot.
Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2003, 10:09   #18
Rovastar

Yeap Krash I have made a post about this somewhere too & let Ryan know. A pain. But unlikely to be fixed code wise of Milkdrop in the near future, maybe change all the presets to fit this new 'standard', dunno.

Old 4th August 2003, 16:28   #19
Krash
Major Dude

as far as I can tell, it's not fixable freom a preset-writing point of view - the motion vectors simply don't follow the movement like they should. Unfortunate that AOL owns the code... I suppose they could contract ryan to just fix bugs or something...

- Krash

Eighty-three percent of all statistical quotes are made up on the spot.
Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2003, 19:34   #20
Rovastar

Ummh I would have thought that most would be fixable isn't it only way of doing the MV's?

I am sure we COULD change the presets to fix it.

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Visualizations > MilkDrop > MilkDrop Troubleshooting Forum