Old 2nd August 2003, 23:26   #1
|EM|Snake

Send a message via ICQ to |EM|Snake
Milkdrop 1.04 and Multi-Monitor

Hi. I'm trying to get MD 1.04 to work on my 42" plasma screen, yet no matter what I select in the "Dual Head" option, it never runs on the other screen. I've always been able to get it to work for 1.03 as well as Geiss2. I've done everything I can think of and am getting very frustrated at something that should work easily.

Is anyone else having similar problems or is it just me?

Running a p4 2.0 gig with a Radeon 8500, all latest drivers etc. Only thing I've done is install this new version. No other changes.
|EM|Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2003, 04:03   #2
Morninglight

Send a message via ICQ to Morninglight
I think I know what your doing wrong... I have about the same setup w/ radeon 8500.

attact the TV with on the TV out and switch it on and set it to the proper channel (like AV1) go to the display properties and enable the second screen with extend my desktop blah blah... click apply! then go to the advanced properties of the 2nd screen and enable the TV and set is as main or 2nd monitor

the reason why you have to enable the 2nd screen is that the TV out copies from one of the 2 monitors.. if you don't enable the 2nd screen it just copies the 1st and only enabled monitor.

hope this helps...

sorry for my broken english, I just had a BIG rave
Morninglight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2003, 04:19   #3
Krash
Major Dude

You may need to use "fake fullscreen" mode in milkdrop, also.

- Krash

Eighty-three percent of all statistical quotes are made up on the spot.
Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2003, 02:17   #4
|EM|Snake

Response to suggestions

Morninglight -

This is already setup. I had to have the secondary monitor enabled in properties of display to "extend my desktop" to it and also in order for Milkdrop 1.03 (and previous) to recognize the second display as the target display. I also had this just working with Geiss 2.0 with no problems at all. But I still cannot get Milkdrop 1.04 to play on this second screen. I've had to uninstall it and revert back to 1.03 in order to continue using it in this fashion.

Krash - I've tried "fake fullscreen" and then modifying the "dual head" options to every conceivable config and it never shows up on the second monitor. Even selecting "span both screens" on both selections, it plays on the regular monitor and not the big screen. Judging from the documentation I thought I had no choice but to use "fake fullscreen" since theoretically this Radeon 8500 does see both displays as one horizontal (or vertical) desktop. Shrug. I've just about given up on it. 1.03 works great though. :\
Old 5th August 2003, 20:25   #5
COtto1984

Send a message via AIM to COtto1984
i am having the same problem

COtto
COtto1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2003, 04:00   #6
|EM|Snake

So does anyone know whether or not I can E-mail to Ryan about this issue or is Geiss totally off this project?

Rova can you weigh in on how to submit this bug?
Old 6th August 2003, 06:14   #7
Krash
Major Dude

It's not a solution, but just run MD in windowed mode, with VJ mode on. Put the vis window on your second screen, and the VJ window on your primary.

As far as getting Ryan to look in to any of this - it's possible, but depends alot on Ryan's relationship with AOL and Nullsoft. If he wants to work on it in his free time, and they want to let him, that's just fine. If not, well, there's nothing we can do.

- Krash

Old 6th August 2003, 07:39   #8
Trillian Miles

Send a message via ICQ to Trillian Miles
Quote:
Originally posted by Morninglight

sorry for my broken english, I just had a BIG rave
Eheheh, Dancevalley???
Trillian Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2003, 09:38   #9
Rovastar

Send a message via AIM to Rovastar
From what Ryan has told me the releationship with AOL is OK but if his is allowed to work on the project at all then it will at this stage be in his own time.

He is still sorting a few things out atm but does plan to release a new 1.04b version in a few months from now but that will basically be repackaged up with new presets. Not focused on bug fixing.

BE patient Ryan is trying to work something out but it is unliekly to be in coming months.

"Rules are for the guidance of wisemen and the obedience of fools"

Visuals - Morphyre www.Morphyre.com
Rovastar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2003, 21:58   #10
LAZY-I

any solution?

I am also having a similar problem. Multimon worked great with 1.03 and a projector...
Now with 1.04, anytime I select the 2nd display as the output, the settings are not saved. (or monitor 2 is just not being recognized.) When I open the config again it is back to monitor 1.
When I reinstalled 1.03 to check, it worked fine. But 1.03 looks like AVS compared to the new 1.04 presets & sprites.

Any VJs out there been successful in getting 1.04 to work?
LAZY-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2003, 22:02   #11
LAZY-I

Sorry, I meant to say dualhead, as in 1 graphics card.
LAZY-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2003, 03:06   #12
|EM|Snake

Quote:
Originally posted by LAZY-I
Sorry, I meant to say dualhead, as in 1 graphics card.
I'm in the same boat with the same problem. I hope that I conveyed that in my first post. 1.03 works great on my radeon 8500 with dual outs, but 1.04 simply will not work with multi-mon. I've had to revert back to 1.03 and am simply saving all 1.04 presets in a different directory until I can use them. I tried using some 1.04 presets on 1.03 and it caused problems with Winamp/Milkdrop. Very sad to wait so long for 1.04 and the influx of 1.04 presets and then have to wait even longer for it to work as I need it to.

p.s. I just looked at Ryan's personal home page and it appears he has contracted with nVidia. This does not bode well for the future of Milkdrop. :\
Old 20th August 2003, 19:25   #13
Kasmus

I got exactly the same problem as described above.

I'm using a GeForce 4200-8X, AthlonXP 2600+ on an A7N8X with 1GB RAM.
OS is XP Pro, Detonator 44.03.

MD 1.03 works fine with Multimon.
Kasmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2003, 23:27   #14
Rovastar

Send a message via AIM to Rovastar
Cannot help with the multimon section on MD atm the FREE app is provided 'as is'.

Quote:
Originally posted by |EM|Snake

p.s. I just looked at Ryan's personal home page and it appears he has contracted with nVidia. This does not bode well for the future of Milkdrop. :\
Rather selfish to think of your MD experience I see this as good news (he was on about joining the demo team there - so maybe you will see his work in the future in a rather static form) as Ryan is able to pay his bills, etc.

"Rules are for the guidance of wisemen and the obedience of fools"

Visuals - Morphyre www.Morphyre.com
Rovastar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2003, 12:06   #15
Dr_Eskaton

Re: any solution?

Quote:

Well not perfect but it seems to work fine to just run VJ mode windowed, drag the output window to the second monitor then maximise it.

I realise that Milkdrop is free and we should be grateful to have it at all but it's a pity that they had to break a very useful feature of the old milkdrop.

Good like to Ryan whereever he is anyway.
Dr_Eskaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2003, 05:32   #16
oxbeard

yep im having the same problem with my geforce2 dualhead
oxbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2003, 05:56   #17
oxbeard

I just figured out a workaround for putting milk drop on the secondary monitor, or tv or whatever. Its kinda a pain in the ass but o well. it works, for me at least.
I set my secondary to be primary in display properties, applied settings, then started milkdrop in fullscreen mode, went back to display properties and set the normal primary back to primary.
Everything worked like in 1.03 after that.
oxbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2003, 20:15   #18
|EM|Snake

*bump*. Plz fix this issue in the next release.

TIA.
Old 23rd September 2003, 07:11   #19
Morninglight

Send a message via ICQ to Morninglight
Re: Re: any solution?

Quote:
]Originally posted by Trillian Miles
Eheheh, Dancevalley???
Gehehehehe.. yeah, best rave this year

[QUOTE
Well not perfect but it seems to work fine to just run VJ mode windowed, drag the output window to the second monitor then maximise it.
[/QUOTE] that runs awfully slow on my lap... barely reaching 10fps.. same as fake full screen...

in normal fullscreen mode both windows stay blank, but everything runs normale with VJ mode off
Morninglight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2003, 01:32   #20
nived

Re: any solution?

Quote:
I am also having a similar problem. Multimon worked great with 1.03 and a projector...
Now with 1.04, anytime I select the 2nd display as the output, the settings are not saved. (or monitor 2 is just not being recognized.) When I open the config again it is back to monitor 1.
When I reinstalled 1.03 to check, it worked fine. But 1.03 looks like AVS compared to the new 1.04 presets & sprites.

I have the same problem described here. my card is a GF4 MX440
until it is fixed its back to 1.03 for me
nived is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2003, 14:15   #21
karmagun

I installed 1.04 and it was looking for the presets in the wrong folder. I opened milkdrop_config.ini with notepad and changed the szPresetDir manually.

It worked.

So, maybe it's possible to enter the adapter id for the secondary monitor manually in the file.

At the moment mine are as follows:
adapter_guid_fullscreen=3619102270 16976 4559 225 102 44 168 19 194 203 53
adapter_guid_desktop=3619102270 16976 4559 225 102 44 168 19 194 203 53
adapter_guid_windowed=3619102270 16976 4559 225 102 44 168 19 194 203 53

I suppose that id is my primary monitor. Will dig in the registry to find the secondary monitor id. If someone out there finds it quicker, let me know where the key is located please.
karmagun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2003, 07:21   #22
|EM|Snake

Interesting thought, however, I think it just needs to be fixed so we don't have to hack the program to make it do what it should already be able to do.
Old 26th October 2003, 15:02   #23
Arn13

Hi

I can't see why you're having problems with this. I've got two monitors running on a Rad9000. They are configured as an "extended" desktop, rather than a "clone". Winamp is open on the second monitor. In Milkdrop (1.04b) I've pretty much left it as it is. The fullscreen settings are showing as Display Adapter 1. Under "DualHead" it's set to left screen only. Everything works fine.

Sorry I haven't got a solution for you , but perhaps you should look at how your displays are configured in Windows.
Arn13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2003, 21:04   #24
nived

using the video cards drivers to span the screens is a solution, but it stretches the whole desktop including the taskbar and windows, as well as locking the refresh rate to 60hz on both screens because my second output is a TV.
nived is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2003, 01:38   #25
|EM|Snake

Quote:
Originally posted by Arn13
Hi

I can't see why you're having problems with this. I've got two monitors running on a Rad9000. They are configured as an "extended" desktop, rather than a "clone". Winamp is open on the second monitor. In Milkdrop (1.04b) I've pretty much left it as it is. The fullscreen settings are showing as Display Adapter 1. Under "DualHead" it's set to left screen only. Everything works fine.

Sorry I haven't got a solution for you , but perhaps you should look at how your displays are configured in Windows.
It appears you have the solution: 1.04b

It does not work at all in the general release of 1.04.
Old 30th October 2003, 22:04   #26
Arn13

Hmmm, funny thing is, after getting fed up with Winamp5 crashing all the time, I uninstalled it and went back to 2.91. Consequently, MD 1.04b went with it and I had to reinstall 1.04. I've set it up exactly as it was before and it still works fine - Winamp open on my second monitor and MD on my first.
Arn13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2003, 12:35   #27
karmagun

Yes, I went back to winamp2 for the same reason.

I think the best solution - I gave up on the registry hack - is what oxbeard said, just set the 2nd monitor as primary display. I know that causes all sorts of hassles with applications opening on the wrong monitor and so on, but at least it MD works.
karmagun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2003, 06:32   #28
gbrayut

First off, I just upgraded to winamp 5 RC 8 and found Milkdrop 1.04b, which is by far the best audiovisual plugin I have ever seen. And when I found you could set it as your desktop I almost shat my pants :-0!

But it was too good to be true, as I do have a a nvidia geforce 4 mk 440 with two monitors but It will only set itself as the desktop for the primary monitor. I tried all of the dual monitor settings which did not change anything. Also whenever I try to change the display adapter if I open the settings again they are back to the default monitor. I even tried changing the adapter_guid_desktop=3619102270 17089 4559 121 102 138 168 3 194 203 53 manually in the ini file to other settings, but it doesnt make any diffrence what I set it to.

I did find a work around however. My video card comes with software that lets you move windows to one monitor or the other (NVIEW). I have a mouse gesture (Strokeit!!) which works quick nice for throwing windows to one screen or another, and belive it or not it will change what screen's desktop milkdrop is on. Works with a shortcut as well.

It was a little strange though, as it also copies all the icons from the primary desktop with it! Even more strange... THEY WORKED!! I could even move them around and they would move on the primary screen (pic) Easy to fix, just tell it to not show icons and it works fine. Still annoying though.

Other then that, MILKDROP KICKS DA LLAMA's A$$!!

GB
gbrayut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2003, 21:27   #29
|EM|Snake

Milkdrop 1.04b in Winamp5

I'm still having the same problem with Winamp5 and Milkdrop 1.04b. No matter what I select under dual head it never starts full screen on my secondary display. It always defaults back to monitor 1. I tried not using "fake fullscreen mode" ala 1.03 and geiss 2 and even though the secondary display is shown, i select it, then click okay and go back in and it's set back to monitor 1.

I don't get it. When I install 1.03 or Geiss 2 1.0 it works flawlessly on my system. Winamp on monitor 1, Milkdrop running fullscreen on monitor 2. Install Milkdrop 1.04 or 1.04b and no dice.

Win XP Pro Sp1/Radeon 8500 LE/Catalyst 3.9

Old 1st January 2004, 00:08   #30
ctrlz

duh

for all people having problems with dualhead and milkdrop, you gotta configure your display to horizontal span. i was having the same problem as many of you...where it would only show up on my primary display.

step by step:

right click desktop, properties
settings
advanced
click the nvidia tab
then click nvidia display mode
and choose "horizontal span" under nView modes.

it's that simple. i'm running it now. weee. happy new year, suckas!
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2004, 20:59   #31
|EM|Snake

ctrlz's description of a workaround is interesting. However, this doesn't apply to folks with a Radeon card. I believe.

It also doesn't explain why if I reinstall 1.03 or geiss 2 it works perfectly. I spose I need to move on to some other type of plug in as this is getting no attention and is clearly malfunctioning. I e-mailed geiss directly in hopes something might be able to be done. But I've gotten no response.
Old 17th January 2004, 13:18   #32
Dreamguard

so here is what i did. don't know if it works for other adapters than nvidia - but hopefully it will. it's also just a workaround.

i changed the screen where i wanted to have the plugin in full screen to the primary adapter and then used nview to change the taskbar and the icons, etc. to the secondary. so i have the same config as before and everything works great. hope there comes another update soon.
Dreamguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2004, 01:54   #33
abatrour

hey. i was having the same problem. i have a geforece2mx 400 and winxp and it would keep going fullscreen on my primary device so what i did was set the screen i want the vis to be on to primary, started the vis and fullscreened it and set my original screen back to primary and it works. kind of a hassle but its easier than trying any of the other methods. i have no idea if it works for ati cause i dont own one.. and never will!
abatrour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2004, 21:48   #34
|EM|Snake

Switching monitors (i.e. changing primaries) isn't an option. This is kind of the reason for having two monitors, a smaller CRT to control and a large plasma to display. I know there are VJ's out there who are feeling this pain as am I. It seems Mr. Geiss could just spend a couple of hours looking at the video code in Geiss 2 and copy that to Milkdrop and resolve this issue. :shrug:

Help a brotha out Ryan.
Old 1st September 2004, 16:53   #35
Cannon__Fodder

Send a message via ICQ to Cannon__Fodder
Re: Milkdrop 1.04b in Winamp5

Quote:
Originally posted by |EM|Snake
I'm still having the same problem with Winamp5 and Milkdrop 1.04b. No matter what I select under dual head it never starts full screen on my secondary display. It always defaults back to monitor 1. I tried not using "fake fullscreen mode" ala 1.03 and geiss 2 and even though the secondary display is shown, i select it, then click okay and go back in and it's set back to monitor 1.

I don't get it. When I install 1.03 or Geiss 2 1.0 it works flawlessly on my system. Winamp on monitor 1, Milkdrop running fullscreen on monitor 2. Install Milkdrop 1.04 or 1.04b and no dice.

Win XP Pro Sp1/Radeon 8500 LE/Catalyst 3.9

Has any progress been made with this bug yet?

CF
Cannon__Fodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2004, 11:55   #36
JSMain

I know it may be a long shot, but did anyone try the fix listed in this thread?

I could not get 1.04 to work on a Matrox G450, or and SIS 650 based video system until I made this fix. Perhaps it may effect how it works with Multi monitors also!

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....postid=1418825

Towards the end of the thread I posted the edited file for 1.04 only. Give it a try!
JSMain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2004, 12:50   #37
Cannon__Fodder

Send a message via ICQ to Cannon__Fodder
tap tap

/bump.

It seems a shame nothing has been done about this

Has anyone had any success with the hex-editing suggested by the thread quoted by JSMain above?

CF
Cannon__Fodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2004, 21:20   #38
Krash
Major Dude

Re: tap tap

Quote:
Originally posted by Cannon__Fodder
/bump.

It seems a shame nothing has been done about this

Has anyone had any success with the hex-editing suggested by the thread quoted by JSMain above?

CF
It's a shame that nobody is developing Milkdrop anymore. The only things you can try are workarounds and hacks (o suggestions though, sorry). Nobody will be fixing the code.

The only other option is to petition AOL to release the source code for MilkDrop so some enterprising coders can continue to improve it.

- Krash

Old 23rd November 2004, 12:26   #39
JSMain

It worked for me, and was recommended by someone else with the edit information. I posted their fix as an actual file so you wouldn't need to do the edit yourself.

Personally, I like the idea of petitioning AOL for the code release!

I'd sign it!

Who else?
JSMain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2005, 22:30   #40
revg

I know what's happening with milkdrop. It tries to use the DeviceIdentifier from the D3DADAPTER_IDENTIFIER9 structure to uniquely identify each display device. When you have some dual head cards and stuff both devices sometimes have the exact same GUID that GetAdapterIdentifier returns, thus it always selects the first display adapter in the list.

Seems as though geiss II uses a different method to store the selected display adapter. You can tell by looking at the GUID in the milkdrop ini verus the giess2 ini file. They should be the same, but the giess 2 one is a different number than the milkdrop one.

So I don't know how to fix it, but that is the problem.

Cheers,
Greg
revg is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Visualizations > MilkDrop > MilkDrop Troubleshooting Forum